You are here

Advice that may help

MrGibson33's picture

I have read quite a bit of posts here from users who are under a lot of stress and say they hate their step sons/daughters. I feel for every person whose posts I read and it certainly helps my situation knowing there are others out there who have the same feelings I have had. I have a 10 year old step son and a 6 year old step daughter, and I too have admitted to hating them in the past to my wife. It hurts to let me hear myself hate that, and it certainly hurt my wife to hear me say that. Unfortunately step parents are driven to the edge and we do what we have to do... Or say what we have to say... We only feel those horrible feelings when we feel we are cornered, and out of options since every previous option has failed.

My wife and I had started going to counceling a while back, which has certainly helped. During the sessions I have always tried to keep an open mind and accept responsibility for things that I have done wrong. Trust me, if you haven't tried a counselor, I would highly suggest it. My wife and I have been together for 5 years now, and many times I think how horribly our relationship would have ended long ago if we had not started counseling.

I used to have these feelings of hate for my step kids a lot. It was a year ago and before that I just couldnt stand them any more, and many times I was ready to quit and go back to being single with no kids. However, this last year has been the best year of our relationship. My wife and I still fight once in a while, but finally for a change the fights are not about the kids. We fight about different issues only, say money or our own attitudes toward each other. About a year ago, the counselor helped me find a trick to dealing with the step children.

I used to try to interact with the step kids a lot, and worry about raising them the right way. Unfortunately for them, their biological father killed himself when they were very young, say when the girl was 1 year old and the boy was 5 years old. It unfortunate that he died, but it is good for me since I don't have to worry about dealing with an ex-husband. I wanted to accept these kids and raise them how I would raise my own biological kids. I wanted to be the real father since they had no other father. Sadly, but good in the end, I had finally come to the point where I realized I can never be the real dad. It felt like I had to let them go, which was difficult. I realized that no matter how hard I try, I can never be as close to them as a blood relative.

I used to worry about the son doing good in school. He failed and continues to fail. I used to worry and be annoyed with his autistic traits and ticks. I yelled, I screamed, I punished, I wanted him to turn his assignments in on time. I used to worry about the little girl peeing her pants, or not flushing the toilet. I used to worry about them wrecking the house. I used to hate the little girl, it used to seem she hated me and wanted nothing to do with me. The more I hated, and the more I screamed and yelled, the more my wife, the biological mother defended them and felt sorry for them. That drove me to insanity.

I had come to the conclusion that I had to separate myself from them. This included physically separating myself from them most of the time, and to mentally separate myself from them. Now I let their mother almost completely do the raising. I let her dish out the punishments, even though sometimes I feel that she is not harsh enough. I force myself to stand back and stay out of everything. I force myself not to be concerned with what they do. If they do something that bothers me, I tell my wife and let her deal with it. I force myself to trust her in raising her own children. I force myself to be nice to the children no matter what they do. I force myself to not let them bother me, then I force myself to be concerned about my own life. Now I worry about my own problems. I try not to be around them too much and separate myself to work on my own hobbies. It's hard, I mean I worry about the son becoming a failure. But now I have to accept that if he becomes a failure, then oh well!! Life is good now.

It's amazing what has happened since I have taken my new approach. I have realized that I actually do LOVE the kids. I know that the girl loves me, she has finally accepted me, and we have become closer, even though I have tried to distance myself from the kids. It's weird how that has worked. The boy still seems farther than her however, and I am fine with that. Perhaps one day we will be as close as the girl and I are. I know that the kids LOVE me, and I love them.

I came here today because started to feel hateful, frustrating, and irritated with the boy's poor performance in school. I recieved a report from the teacher about his numerous missing assignments. I wanted to punish him, I wanted to make his life miserable, I felt myself hating him again. Instead, I called his mother and told her about it. I told her I trusted her to deal with him. Now, after writing this, I am not angry anymore and try to force myself not to think of him. I've got my own life to worry about and I want to do something fun and enjoy myself instead.

In short, if you feel hateful and frustrated - try to remove yourself from them mentally and physically. If they do something that bothers you, try not to worry about it. If you can't let it go, go to the biological father/mother and try to let them handle it. Trust your spouse. If you worry less about the kids, you will have more time to enjoy yourself. I realize that it may not be as easy for some as it has for me. But for those of you who can't do it as easy, just try your best to enjoy and separate yourself from kids who try to make you hate them, and try to get the biological father/mother to hate you. Keep cool, don't yell, try to be nice no matter how hard it is. Over time things may change.

There are some good books I have read that have helped me deal with the step-parenting and blended family problems. I don't have the titles now, but if anyone's interested I will find out what they are. They have contributed to raising my mental health and helped a lot to lower my stress level.

Enjoy yourself!

Anon2009's picture

Welcome aboard!

I can't tell you how much your message resonates with me. I am a custodial stepmom to two girls, who are now 13 and 15. Until a few years ago, I was an every-other-weekend (EOW) stepmom to them. They lived with their mother at the time.

Their mother tried every tactic in the book to alienate them from their dad and get them to hate me. She also neglected them. We sent her $1500 a month in child support but they lived in a filthy environment, were underfed, in poor health, never clean and always dressed in rags. We often sent clothes and hygiene supplies home with them because we wanted to do the right thing and prove to the court that we were busting our butts to care for these kids. Four years, one custody battle and one therapist later, we found out that the kids used to go back to her home saying positive things about their Dad so they were punished by being grossly neglected.

Those punishments were so severe that they acted badly at our house to avoid getting in trouble at their mom's. They were acting so badly that I hated them. Or, I thought I did. I've been to counseling as well and I've found that I didn't really hate them but was projecting my negative feelings about their mother onto them.

My therapist told me to disengage from them for awhile. I did and it improved things so much. I let my husband handle his kids. We got custody of the kids. For the first year after we got custody, I still disengaged. I was polite but that's it. As time wore on, I found myself actually growing to love them and feel compassion for their situation. If anything bothered me, I told my husband. I'd let him deal with it as he saw fit. I let him hand out the consequences. However, I always have and always will praise the kids when they do something good or when I've noticed that their behavior has improved. I think it's very important for both bio and stepparents to praise the kids for positive changes in their behavior. I say things like, "I really notice and appreciate how polite you've been to me lately" and/or "I know that this has been a really tough situation for you, but you've been a real trooper about it. Keep up the good work." My husband says stuff like that to them too. It has made a world of difference.

Disengaging makes it so much easier for everyone. Skids don't have to feel all that resentment all the time, and neither do stepparents. Then once everyone is ready for the stepparent to re-engage, if at all, things are usually better the second time around, because instead of being instantly thrown together like they were at first, the stepparent and stepchild can figure out a relationship that works for them and be comfortable with that.

I re-engaged slowly with my stepkids but that is because a) we all wanted it and b) their mother is not active in their lives. She has every other weekend visitation but chooses to send the kids to her parents and never communicates with her kids. So I really want to be there for them in any way I can.

There are some great stories concerning change in stepfamily life on this site, and how everyone involved in those situations benefitted from those changes. I think you're doing an awesome job on the path you're on with your stepkids. It sounds like things have really changed in a good way for all of you as well, and I am happy for you.

nycSM's picture

I'd be interested in finding out some of the titles of the books you read. If you remember what they are, let us know! Thanks!

MrGibson33's picture

Thank you all so much for the kind words. Anon2009 I am also very happy for you. Your story was an interesting read. Things sounded very bad and difficult for you at first, and I am so glad to hear that it turned around in such a good way.

nycSM I will be checking back shortly with the titles of those great books. I always forced myself to read them when I got irritated with the kids... It helped me get my mind free of the anger and frustration I felt at the time.

This website and forum is a very valuable tool to have, which I'm sure you all have found out. Just before I logged on, I was feeling angry and frustrated. I set the dogs food dish on the counter right in front of where the kids eat this morning. That was to remind them that they need to feed the dogs before they get their own breakfast. Well, I came across the counter later and discovered that the kids had their own breakfast, but they just pushed the empty bowls for the dogs out of the way. Being disappointed in their laziness, I mentioned to their mother that she should make the kids go without dinner tonight, since they starved the dogs in the morning. Their mother rolled her eyes at me and has been snotty to me all day long.

Now, I am disengaged from the kids, and the mother, and I feel great! I'm going to go do something fun now! Thank you all for listening, and letting me vent. If I vent to my own family, it just seems to make the problems worse.

MrGibson33's picture

I have posted another thread with the titles of those books. They really helped me. With an open mind I really saw a different view of the big picture after reading the information contained. Good luck to all.