You are here

help - in serious relationship with man with 5 children (4 teenage girls) we want to move forward but is it impossible

darkdays's picture

Don't know where to begin so will begin from the beginning .

I meet a man through work, we became friends we were friends for about 8 months before anything happened but once it did it was 100 percent serious, intense, life changing and has not relented. We meet 4 years ago.

He is 20 years my senior, he is what you would call "high profile" as we worked together, you can imagine the consequences were not only personal but professional as well.
He has 5 children who are now girls: 22, 20, 15, 13 and a young son: 7

He was married when we meet and I was and was not the cause of his separation (he is now neither divorced or by law "separated" although we have essentially lived together for the past 2 years and he and his legal wife are only in communication over practical matters concerning the children)

Everyone considered them to be the perfect couple with the perfect marriage and perfect family. He is his wife were together for 30 years and he was her only intimate partner in life. With the exception of a few one night stands in his early twenties he has been "loyal" to her up until very recently. he is much desired but has never been a playboy (which everyone found to be surprising and admirable)

they never "fought" never argued but in reality lived very separate lives. they adore their children and i think thought since there was no turmoil and their lives were so full with the litter and his life so full with his work, why unsettle things..

so you can imagine the animosity that surrounds me. their children i am the woman who broke up their perfect union.

in reality not fighting at all is not healthy, the distance that had set in was not healthy, the lack of jealousy , passivity lack of passion etc not healthy
and what nearly no one knows is I'm not his "first indiscretion in 30 years" about year and a half before he meet me , he began an affair with another woman. also my age - she lived in a different city and the nature of it was very different than our relationship. it was more compartmentalized, she came on to him and said they could be friends and have sex. he felt incredibly guilty about it but have sex with someone else for the first time in nearly 30 years had great impact on him. she wanted it to be more serious and he absolutely had no intentions of being with her or leaving his wife for her so he ended it cleanly. ultimately however i think this was the beginning of the end for his marriage. he didn't want to be with this woman but he also realized that in life that he was living something fundamental missing...

we were seeing each other for about a year before his wife confronted him. when she did and provided him with an ultimatum the decision although brutally difficult was clear. she gave him an ultimatum. he choose me over her and the year that followed was abject hell. the oldest daughter when she find out waged a war against me, the mother tried to turn her children against him saying that he had chosen me over all of them. 4 teenage and prepubescent girls.. you can only imagine the heartache and fiery.

two years later.. things in many ways are much better. his children have a phenomenal relationship with him. they constantly acknowledge that he is an extraordinary dad and like nothing more than spending time with him. the two eldest are living abroad, attending school, in the same city. we still work together and he splits his time between the city his children live (the mother has set up an arrangement that he can only see them every other weekend, which is ridiculous but given how busy his professional life is at the moment, realistic) and the city that we live in together.

the eldest children who waged a war against me have come to accept me in some capacity. they may never even come to like me but we are able to tolerate each other and have even travelled with one another and there have been moments where it has been "fun"

the youngest children have meet me (two times) as well and we got along very well, of course the fact that we have the capacity to get along causes their mother so much grief that the children feel completely guilty and so its constantly 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

some of their closest family friends (who are very good friends to both her and him) have come to really accept me and embrace me. everyone was so skeptical at the beginning, thinking it was nothing but a mid life crisis on his part, and a opportunistic younger woman with a daddy complex on my part. but now this is not at all the thinking and many who have known them for as long as they were married acknowledge that he has never been happier. and she in many ways as well. the eldest daughter has said that she realizes that ultimately i am not the cause of their marriage ending. she sees and realizes that her mother was suffering from depression for years that predated me and that there was something fundamentally albeit very quietly wrong with their marriage.

although i am so sorry for the pain they have had to bear, i am not sorry for meeting this man loving him and remaining involved with him. it was not a decision that was made lightly. this is not a pattern of behavior on my part. have never been with someone who was already spoken for and my partners of yore were much closer to my own age.

so that's the background - here is where things stand now

at the moment he is the only one doing the traveling back and forth but this divided life is not only difficult it is in the long run that sustainable as well. i have to be able to go done to where he is the other half of the time as well..
at some point soon i will want to have a child, he realizes that he cannot accept a woman of my age (30 nearly 31) to forgo this.. and he can't be split between two families so we have to find a way to make it work. i absolutely am not looking to be a stepmother to his children, i would like for them to respect that what i have with their father is serious.

there is one very big problem (well many of course) but practically speaking, one thing that I'm not at all sure what to do about and that is his 15 year old daughter refuses to meet me. she has never been angry or venomous but the idea of ever even having to see me is terrifying nauseating awful etc to her. if we are to move on and live together fully, it may mean that the time he spends with her will be less and less. if she refuses to step foot in the house when i am there. i do not want him to come to resent me for this but i also think its incredibly weird the degree of her resistance. Perhaps its normal?? i have no idea whatsoever. its all unchartered territory

beyond this i am filled with so much confusion. i understand the circumstances under which we have meet are so flawed couldn't be less ideal. but we and i especially have made such an effort and handled things with dignity to the extent that some of the children can recognize this (begrudgingly perhaps) to be perfectly honest i am also filled with confusion jealousy rage sadness and of course love (for him)

5 children is a clan , 4 daughters when you are a younger woman with an older man is a recipe for disaster. the parenting style the choose to adapt is that they are "best friends" with their children. as a result they are incredibly close but yield zero authority. their children have 100 percent say and its really such a wonder we have come so far at all...

christmas/holidays I am for the third year spending alone. i wonder if it will always be like this (at some point it should not be no?) the children have many friends who come from "broken homes" some of them have even said to the kids, 'you are lucky in some ways it could be so much worse. your fathers girlfriend is far from awful and your father is devoted to you ' and some of their friends have made the transition to the new life and accept their father/mother with their new partners/ wives/ husbands etc there are examples all around them but with the clan comes unity and resistance and i understand that every situation is unique and everything takes its own course etc. .. but my god, it is all so daunting .

I'm sorry I'm becoming more and more incomprehensible as i type its late late night now early early morning and i have not slept. overwhelmed with sadness and confusion. feel very alone in this.
i wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation. I'm sure many have .. but 5 children is so extreme...

is there a way forward? id like to believe that there is . he of course as well but are we deluding ourselves.

what can be done

your thoughts are much appreciated

Disneyfan's picture

The man is still married. He snuck around with you for a year. He didn't have the balls to tell his wife he wanted a divorce. HmShe had to find out he was a cheater and a liar. He left his wife because she gave him a ultimatum.

No matter how you spin it, you were the other woman who played a role in breaking up a family. You don't get to do that then ride off and live happily ever after.

So you got the man, but you're alone on the holidays while he spends them with his family. Karma

darkdays's picture

Yes I did play a role in breaking up the marriage but if things were so solid and had the potential to resolve themselves they would have. she is not a martyr she was not the perfect wife nor perfect mother he is not perfect nor am i nor is anyone. i did not implore him to leave his wife. if he had wanted to stay with her i was prepared to accept it , i would have been deeply upset but i would have dealt with it.

fortunately ** the children unlike so many in these types of situations have maintained very strong relationship with their father. in some ways stronger then before and when he is with them he is far more attentive. the recognize this and have expressed this. what they also have expressed (the older ones) that their mother is in many ways much happier and full of life then before. of course the rejection of having being left and loss of companionship is crippling at times but it many ways according to her friends and family she has "blossomed"

i don't think its as simple as reducing by siting "karma" . its not so black and white. i didn't expect it to be a cake walk but if it was all misery i would not be here still 4 years later.

as for the divorce - she doesn't want to get divorced. i guess its a question of money and headache. he provides for her very well (and she knows he will always which is of course decent and right) so to deal with lawyers and the nitty gritty //i don't know - they are both passive.. not making any excuses. it is very weird

Silent River's picture

If both parents are "passive" that is a recipe for disaster. Kids already have enough "friends"... What they really need is good strong solid parents! What I am seeing in all of this is two parents who are feeling guilt and remorse for watching the children go through hell. Like one of the radio family councelors says "Parenting off of guilt is ineffective parenting." Do you want this kind of spineless parenting for your own child?

One more point - when a man is dating he is on his very best behavior. For a man, dating is comparable to working towards a job promotion. Once he gets the prize (is promoted or gets married) he is off to his next endeavor. In other words, he will not feel the need to work at it as hard, so in summery...the way he is now is quite possibly the best he will ever be.

Now ask yourself this question... Can you live like this or worse, for the rest of your life? It is not too late to change but you can only change you.

darkdays's picture

Very good points...

She the mothered feels very empowered because she was the one that was left. she has against everyone else's recommendations, used her children as her army (to the extent that even some of the kids have acknowledged this dynamic but feel so sorry for her and her pain. they if they so much as accept me, it would be a betrayal to their mother)

he says he has absolutely no regrets in getting involved with me but of course the year and half of hell. tears pain anguish etc he saw his children go through have traumatized him. things are finally extremely good between them all and i think he fears doing anything to destabilize what he has with them..

i really don't believe in the parents as friend model. they are so proud that they can talk about things the other parents can not with their children. this supposedly incredibly intimacy - they can not understand that there are real flaws to this model. the children are good kids they may hate me but i can recognize that they are not awful but they certainly have a sense of entitlement and have been raised to believe they are more special and worthy then anyone else.. of course their worst fear is that i have a child. the eldest asked if i was having protected sex or using birth control? .. no boundaries at all.. it can be awful...

the dilemma is that in many ways he is the most incredible man. my very best friend, brilliant mind, immensely talented, very loving, generous to everyone around him. I've know many interesting compelling people in my life but operates on a whole nother level... so hard to just walk away from this. don't know .. .. i have to figure it , something out... just overwhelmed

SugarSpice's picture

totally agree here. just keep in mind that a man who cheats on his wife will easily do the same to another woman.

women who are "the other woman" dont see this when they enter into a relationship with a married man.

darkdays's picture

think they are both hate confrontation. view it as a last ditch resort. remember they supposedly never quarreled?? i know that they don't see eye to eye about every thing. i think she is fundamentally passive aggressive and he is either oblivious or resilient and not the least bit petty. his oblivion may have been a large cause of her frustrations..

he says if i leave him he will never go back to her. in all likelihood he will find another partner if i do.
she says she will never have him back
they never see one another (she refuse to see him) and their "communication" (if you can even call it that) is purely practical. not venomous but very austere and spare.

i really don't believe he still longs for her if thats what you mean.

perhaps its more that getting a divorce is such an ordeal, all the lawyers involved having to divide his assets etc its a big undertaking that he is not yet prepared to take
she is well taken care of and i think on some level she relishes to fact that for as long as she is married to him, i will remain "illegitimate" at least in the eyes of law...

i never had a desire to get married, walk down the aisle that sort of thing but if i were to be perfectly honest, the fact that he is still married to her bothers/hurts me tremendously.. I'm only human

i think they are also concerned about what the actuality of "divorce" or even the word "divorce" would mean to their children. they think it would upset them too much. though some might argue that it would finally give them (all) a sense of closure. i don't know... what i do know is that the kids are not hanging on to the hope that their parents might reunite.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

I would not be surprised if the 7yo was... hanging onto tohope that mom and dad will be together again.

But that is not even the issue. It is just TOO MUCH for anyone to handle. You are hoping one of us will come up with the magic formula that will help you smooth the ruffled feathers... Not likely. I know it is very hard to be in your shoes, and i for one don't really care how his marriage broke up, whether you were involved in that or not. I just do not think you should be involved in THIS MESS for much longer. FIVE kids constitute HUGE baggage. You are 30 and have no kids of your own. Why do you want to be on the receiving end of his family dysfunciton? For years and years and years to come... you will rue the day you walked into his life, sooner or later.

I would suggest that you get into therapy, explore your own wants/needs/insecurities if any... and see if you are not better off breaking it off and looking for someone your age, with NO kids. Not 1... not 2.. not 3... not 4... not 5 ----- ZERO kids. You will be MUCH better off 5 years from now.

darkdays's picture

No the 7 yr old has told anyone who will listen how much much he likes "daddy's girlfriend" when he sees as together he asks us to hold hands (i don't..) he also has said his mother told him that i did not steal his father way but that he left her...

people on this board obviously will want to burn me at the stake for getting involved with a married men. fine nothing i can do about that.

but i appreciate your point about the circumstances and number of children

lets say he was divorced father of 5 when i meet him and subsequently we go involved. i can't imagine these children would be that much more forthcoming. 5 children as you say is so much to deal with on its own...

whatamess's picture

You can spin this however you want, but this situation will not get better. You had are having an affair with a married man and nothing you say will make that okay...in the eyes of his children or frankly, in anybody else's, even your own if you're really honest with yourself.

If you are both really committed to each other and love each other, he needs to get a divorce so you can be together. End of story. You and he can say oh it's not that easy, she wants, he wants, blah, blah, blah. Are you really willing to spend one more year in limbo like this? I agree with the suggestion above of getting into therapy to figure out why you got yourself into this mess.

darkdays's picture

We are together? We live with one another. How will him getting a divorce asap change things? No one in our respective worlds view this to be an "affair" any longer. there is nothing illicit about it. as for the blah blah blahs - forgive me for trying to paint a comprehensive picture of the situation. if it bores you please move on.

re needing to get therapy - perhaps you have a point. by me writing on this board (never have in my life written on a message board) its the first step..

darkdays's picture

you added absolutely nothing productive to this conversation. although there are plenty here who are critical of my lifestyle choices - their opinions were very insightful . your post is just an excuse to fill the world with a little more hate. bravo.

onthefence2's picture

You can say whatever you want to about their marriage, but what you have done is wrong. It will come back to bite you. This 100% is not going to work out in your favor. I won't list the numerous reasons, because it's too obvious and not worth my time.

darkdays's picture

what *i* have done is not wrong. i did not pursue him, and we didn't enter into our engagement lightly. falling in love is not a crime nor is it necessarily easy (though in this case the complications are mental i know) but why people think others can be possessed is beyond me. 30 years of marriage he was a great husband and provider in many ways (obviously not all - but who is ??) if its not working between them and had not for a long time are they supposed to uphold the farce? you think at a certain point children can't read through that?

i refuse to wear a scarlett letter on my chest. and why to certain women feel the need to castigate others? did your husband leave you, did your father cheat on your mother? if either of these scenarios are true then i can understand your bias otherwise come on. if what i am saying is so bothersome and not worth your time why even reply?

i thought these message boards were about constructive criticism, not pointing fingers and name calling. and I'm sorry that you find my life and existence to be so offensive.

Anon2009's picture

Yeah, it is wrong, and so are you. Maybe you didn't pursue him, but you weren't unwelcoming towards his advances and didn't suggest that he file divorce papers first.

"30 years of marriage he was a great husband" What planet do you live on??? He cheated on his wife. That's not being a great husband.

"you think at a certain point children can't read through that?" Kids can read through it but that doesn't give YOU the right to do what you've done. It doesn't give your "fiancé" the right to do what he's done. What the two of you have done, though, is given the BM the right to pursue alimony and child support. She likely will.

"if what i am saying is so bothersome and not worth your time why even reply?" Because whether you like it or not, YOU CONTRIBUTED TO THE BREAKUP OF A FAMILY. Who cares that they had problems. It was not YOUR place to get involved in that.

floridianmama's picture

I agree he cheated he's not currently cheating. Two people who are separated are free to do as they please. Should their biological mother decide it would not be cheating. If my husband and I split up and a month from now I start dating someone else it will not be cheating, hell the day I move out it's no longer cheating.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Echo, i have been wondering about your signature for a while now. Your posts do not typically reflect Gandhi's values. This one is no exception. In this instance I would suggest that the OP heed Gandhi's words more than yours. You are out to hurt a woman who came to this online forum for step parents - NOT Bible-thumpers - looking for help. You have slapped her across the face. She will be well advised to remember that YOU are not allowed to hurt HER without HER - and Gandhi's - permission.

Permission denied.

Disneyfan's picture

Why would a woman who cheated with a married man seek/expect help from a bunch of married women??? :?

floridianmama's picture

LOL what Pilgrim soul said!

She has the right to be here and ask for advice just as much as any other perspective SM.

Disneyfan's picture

Ask away, but do you really expect married women to have sympathy for a woman who helped break up a marriage?

Most married women do not think highly of women who sleep with married men.

Anon2009's picture

Most people aren't going to support extramarital affairs or those who are involved in them.

Disneyfan's picture

THIS

He cheated on her twice and didn't have the balls to tell her he wanted a divorce.

Why any woman would want a loser is mind boggling.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Passivity destroys relationships, but karma is guaranteed to bite if you help in along in unscrupulous ways. I understand that their relationship wasn't good, but it does not excuse what he and you both did.

DH's relationship with his exGF was probably the worst example of passivity I had ever seen, although they did fight about it. Then he cheated with BM and voila, instant karma. BM turned out to be the crazy psycho bitch your mother warns you not to stick your dick in and that's how I became a step.

Your life is going to be hard, and chances are, unless the mother forgives you, the children will never do so. Personally, my father has cheated on my mother twice--she forgave him, and I understood it is an issue between them, and not my problem. In a perfect world, everyone will forgive everyone and get past it. But we aren't in a perfect world and unfortunately, your life is going to be really, really hard.

Do you know why passivity destroys relationships? Because when you don't put effort into the relationship you currently have, you have the time and energy to focus on other things--and often those other things are people who are not your spouse. Remember, falling into passivity is a HABIT, and you'll need to watch out that he does not do the same to you because it can happen.

darkdays's picture

karma karma - I've lived a very good life and I'm proud of the things i have done and achieved. I'm prepared to deal with whatever karma life has in store for me and somehow i think I've done enough good that i won't be absolutely slaughtered for falling in love with a married man

as for passivity - you really have a point . that is exactly what worries me most (i would be very surprised if he cheated on me. he is very devoted. but stranger things have happened i suppose. passivity makes one lame doesn't it? not being to get a handle on a (the) situation ..not now and perhaps not ever...

Anon2009's picture

"He was married when we meet and I was and was not the cause of his separation (he is now neither divorced or by law "separated" although we have essentially lived together for the past 2 years and he and his legal wife are only in communication over practical matters concerning the children)"

Yeah right. He doesn't have the balls to get a divorce.

So many SMs are hated for nothing. You've given your sks a very good reason to hate you. I commend the teen for not meeting you so as to avoid being rude to you.

"I would like for them to respect that what i have with their father is serious."

Ha! They would have liked for you to respect that what he had with their mother was serious. There may have been issues in their marriage but they were still married. If he wanted out so bad, he should've gotten a divorce.

It is said that people reap what they sow. Many marriages that began as extramarital affairs will end because of cheating. Just wanted to forewarn you.

darkdays's picture

Oh yes in an ideal world we know immediately when we have meet the loves of our lives and if we are in a marriage we get and divorce (because its such a quick and easy thing to do ) and then move on to the next relationship.
Great advice.

darkdays's picture

no their relationship was not meaningless I'm not saying that but i honestly believe its over.
by all accounts she lost interest in him first . she even said to me once when we spoke that she treated to her life of being and mother and her children came first and she lost sight of him and that she never thought she was a jealous person until she longer "had" him

i don't mean to be cruel but he has also withstood the test of time much better than she is . they are the same age but she looks many many years older and he on the other hand looks extremely good for his age. i know this sounds horribly superficial but laws of attraction are not always fair... no if he were to leave me , it would be for some one else he would not go back to her and its really a wonder he did not stray much sooner.. he has had countless opportunities..

all that aside - everything else you say is very valid. it seems like an endlessly hard road ahead... i am perhaps deludingly myself thinking that things could get any better..

darkdays's picture

what in gods name is your problem? why are some women in need of sugar coating everything. us women do not age as well as men period. the laws of attraction (vastly generalizing are what they are) i was not saying i found her to be unattractive i was simply stating that the odds are against her . i feel sorry for her in this repect, and in that in the not so distant future i will be in similar situation as are you with every day that passes. why can't we be honest about this? this has nothing to do with disrespecting his wife and children??

yes in reality if he leaves me it will be for another woman not his wife. someone perhaps a bit closer to his own age , perhaps with children of her own but it will not be go back to his wife. i do not understand why you take issue to this comment?

one of the children recently said to me - 'thanks for making things as comfortable as possible given the circumstances.' she apologized for many of the vitriolic things she said and NO ONE prompted her to do this. yes i realize the odds are stacked against me on the whole but you are wrong to think the children in no way can come to terms with this or respect my relationship with their father. if you have actually read anything i said you will see that the eldest HAVE come to terms with it to the point that we even socialize from time to time.

i'm on this board to seek out the advice for those who have been in similar situations (on any side , mother, children, new partner etc) i'm not here to be spoke to like i'm a dim wit. curb your anger and aggression please. not worth it.

** and why is it always assumed that she is the one who managed the household? in their case, was not so conventional. he cooked he cleaned and when he wasn't in town she had and has a house keeper . she is a real companion to her kids but she has never been the one doing the heavy lifting. she would probably be the first to admit that domestic duties are not
here forte ...

Anon2009's picture

darkdays's picture

thank you yes.. i just needed some other voices. I'm in this alone ... people in general (besides his family) are very supportive of our relationship for reasons that are too specific and tedious to others to describe on this board.

i just wondered if theres things get any better (was wondering if anyone had been in a similar scenario..)

I'm only holding onto him because i love him dearly. i have a great job am finically independent have to some extent my youth and reasonably good looks. i could find someone else but in the serious relationships i have been in in my life, well all of those men pale in comparison to him and what he means to me. that is my dilemma . i can chuck the baggage but out with it goes the most special person i have ever known... i keep thinking i will tire of him or grow to resent him but unfortunately grow fonder of him with each passing day.

Chances are, the drama and the chase and the promise of a future beyond it, working together towards that goal is what is causing you to be addicted. The rush is one that many fall for.

If you really want to know if you have a chance, I would track down some of his old affair partners and see what they have to say about why they broke it off. What they tell you will be worth more than what we can, because they lived through where you are now. Did he give them each the same promise? Did he give each the same passion? The same wonderful words? He left his wife for none of them, why would he leave her for you?

These are the hard questions that, in order to more clearly see the future and the truth, you need answered.

darkdays's picture

He has not had multiple affairs. He had 1 affair with a woman who turned out to be somewhat obsessed and was trying to get pregnant. She came on to him and what they had was sporadic and not that deep ultmiately . I know people who know her and apparently she has no ill fillings towards him but misses his influence and wished he would help her with her career more. Doesn't tell me much..

Bio-Step-Mom's picture

1) Do not marry someone with children. Sorry.
2) If #1 is ignored, do not marry someone whose children are currently teenagers.
3) If #1 and #2 are ignored, do not marry someone who is...oh wait, you can't marry him because he is MARRIED.

Seriously. No one stays married that doesn't want to stay married.

Once a close friend was just flabbergasted by a guy he knew giving up everything. Literally, everything. He walked away from the house, the cars, the whatever just to be free of her.

If your boyfriend wanted a divorce (after 3 years!!!!) he would not be married to his wife anymore.

1) Don't convince yourself that everything will be fine because people know you're currently together so no one will care that you were first involved in an affair (run-on sentence intentional)
2) Don't convince yourself that your meeting the younger kids (TWICE!) and them "liking you" means anything.
3) Don't convince yourself that the adult kids can't wreak havoc on your life.
4) You think you're okay with just being "dad's girlfriend" until the disrespect starts.

Just. Stop. Get out and move on.

Bio-Step-Mom's picture

AND He's an adulterer many times over!?!?

You don't honestly believe he will be forever faithful to you, do you?

Do you think his wife "looked old" forever?

What do you think will happen when you start to "look old"?

darkdays's picture

No he is not an adulterer many times over!!! he had an affair with one other woman in 30 years!

by the time i look old he will be very very old so Fool

Disneyfan's picture

You have no idea how many times he cheated on his wife. You only know what he tells you. You already know he's a liar(he had to lie to his wife for the first year he was cheating with you)so why believe he ONLY cheated twice?

amber3902's picture

In your OP you said "With the exception of a few one night stands in his early twenties he has been "loyal" to her up until very recently."

That's more than once he's cheated, I guess you don't count one night stands as affairs?

I'm not saying that it's necessarily bad or that they have anything terribly wrong with them, but women and men who get involved with people who are already attached have some issues they themselves need to work through first and those issues are often deep seated and destructive. I don't judge because I know that their issues have made them and continues to lead them into unhappiness.

Please understand that people have such a reaction to you getting involved with someone who was married because cheating is the WORST form of betrayal. You put your health, your feelings, your life, and your future into this person and they turn around and throw it back into your face. That is an entire lifetime you cannot get back. Have you ever been cheated on, or even suspected it? If you haven't, then you can't understand the gut wrenching feeling of suspecting but not finding out because then EVERYTHING, from your self worth to your dreams get shattered, tossed away like garbage. It destroys people in more fundamental ways than you can imagine.

This reminds me of Mad Men. How that guy who is also much older, continuously cheats on his wife with the young redhead (who I love in real life--Christina Hendricks is AMAZING) but when he gets that heart attack, the one who he thinks of and seeks comfort in is his wife. You can't erase 30 years of memories, of building a life together, he tells her all the things she wants to hear, takes him with her to exotic places, but when the shit hits the fan and his life is in jeopardy, the one he thinks about is the one he built his life with. I felt very bad for her because in that one moment, she realized who really matters to him.

Anyway, you aren't the first to have been caught by him. You must never forget that you may not be the last.

AVR1962's picture

WHAT HE DID TO HIS FIRST WIFE IS LIKELY HE WILL ALSO DO TO YOU. i KNOW YOU WANT TO BELIEVE THIS IS SPECIAL AND HE HAS FED YOU ALL THE WORDS TO BELIEVE SO BUT MY FIRST HUSBAND WAS A PLAYER TOO AND i CAN TELL YOU HE HAS DONE THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. hOW DOES HE GETS THE LADIES? bY MAKING THEM BELIEVE THEY ARE SPECIAL AND THE ONLY ONE.

yOU WOULD BE WISE TO MOVE ON AND FORGET THIS GUY.

thinkthrice's picture

GET.OUT.NOW!!!

This will only snowball into the seventh circle of Hell. Trust me I know.

misSTEP's picture

Although I am highly against extramarital affairs (my mom has had numerous affairs that my dad chooses to overlook), I commend you for your straight-forwardness and honesty about your situation.

I know how you sometimes end up in a situation where you make decisions that get you to a place you never intended to be.

Whether or not you take any of the (good) advice given you, I just wanted to let you know that it was nice to see the post (and replies to others) from a person who is willing to own their own mistakes instead of getting defensive about it.

The only words of wisdom I can give is: you are the only one living in your situation. Being a step-mother is extremely hard - even in the best of circumstances. In your case, it will be a huge undertaking. Also, the wife wanting to be "provided for" is NOT a good enough excuse to not have a divorce (or at LEAST a legal separation). I would think most judges would grant a healthy alimony to someone married for 20 years who had little part in the break up of the union.

positivelyfourthstreet's picture

You are being snowed by this man. If he really cared for you, he would never allow you to be in this predicament. If you really care for him, you need to let him go and move on because he is very broken and confused at the moment. (Probably just flat out selfish)You don't need broken and confused. Or selfish.

Let go. Get out. It may hurt for a while, but when you wake up and come to your senses you will be able to say that at least you did the right thing in letting go and if you continue to do the right thing you will meet a decent man without all the baggage and possibly have a happy life instead of the hell you will go through if you pursue your current path.

Marrying a man with children is difficult enough without being the person who broke up the marriage. You will have our problems X100 if you go there.

You're young enough to find something better. Dump this loser, move on and fix yourself so you never go there again.

This is not love.

Love does not do this.

Valeria's picture

You appear to be in very deep denial about your relationship and rationalizing everything to keep your hope alive. Disneyfan, Pilgrim Soul, whatamess, anon2009 and especially Ladyface have summed it all up beautifully. He has what he wants. You in another city for temporary relief. His family when he wants it. He won't divorce her and she won't divorce him. He still has 3 minor children at home. You need to let go and allow yourself to find a man who will commit to you and does not have all this baggage. There are tons of good guys out there. You are young enough to do that now. I am sorry you have allowed yourself to be in this mess. You got yourself in only you can get yourself out. I hope you really think about this whole thing and read your own post as if someone else had written it. Good luck

darkdays's picture

no i am not in deep denial - i wouldn't be posting here if i were? i have thanked many of the posters for their good points. I'm taking it all in and trying to figure out what i need to do next. but the name calling and venom that is dished on on this board is absolutely unnecessary. no need to talk to strangers in this way.

Valeria's picture

Whoa, I did not call you names :? and neither did anyone else. What appears to you to be venom is most likely the feelings generated by the experiences these posters have lived through. They are relating their experiences with similar situations as they were asked. People in denial do reach out for opinions but usually want opinions that validate their beliefs. I know you thanked many posters. It also seems that even though good points are acknowledged, your reaction is to rationalize the situation and it is probably frustrating to many when they are genuinely trying to help and give the advice asked for. I think all the posters here are wanting to help, not to criticize. I know when posts are not in agreement with your beliefs of the situation it may seem personal, but it is not. Good luck.

ctnmom's picture

He cheated on her, he'll cheat on you. A leopard doesn't change his spots. Alternate outcome: you're changing his diapers when you're 50, with his kids chomping at your heels for his money. If you think he's only had 2 affairs, you've fallen off the turnip truck, Dear, and need to catch up to it.

Disneyfan's picture

Now, you know darn well he was not having sex with his wife. The marriage was over. He's such an awesome, stand up guy that he didn't have the heart to break up with her and move on with his life. :sick:

amber3902's picture

There's always a chance that things could work out. That the kids start to come around and change their mind about you.

But the deck is SOOOOOOO stacked against you.

1. You're 30 - he's 50. Granted, this in itself is not a reason for a relationship not to work, but when you combine it with the other issues, it's just one more thing causing problems.

2. He's still married to the mother of his children. He has not filed for divorce in three years.

3. By your own admission he's cheated on his wife, not once, but several times. You said in your OP - "With the exception of a few one night stands in his early twenties he has been "loyal" to her up until very recently." So not only has he cheated on his wife technically with you, he had an affair before you, and had a FEW one night stands in his twenties.

4. He has five children, whom as you say "have 100 percent say" and the parents are "best friends" with their children that yield zero authority. Even if none of the other issues existed, this alone could cause the relationship to fail all by itself. Read on here and see how stepmoms are dealing with dads that let their kids walk all over them. See how it affects their relationship.

You are gambling, and the deck is stacked against you. You are hoping that despite the odds things will work out. You think that since the stepkids have started to warm up to you that things will get better. But they could also get worse. One day the stepkids could do a 180 and start hating you again. Do you really want to play these odds? Do you really want to bring a child into a situation like this?

I notice you say your BF has a "high profile" job and a couple of his children are living abroad. It sounds like he has a pretty well paying job. Could it be his money is blinding you to these issues just a little bit?

Frustratedlady's picture

This is excellent advice!

"I am terrified of these people and would rather make you mad than them."

You couldn't have described my FEXDH better with this statement. I'd like to add another code I saw in DH was "I'd rather sacrifice my own and your happiness/love just to make them happy".

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Darkdays, i see you have gotten a lot of good suggestions, most of the same variety - run for your life! We all have our own takes on the reasons why, and that's fine. You have every right to pay selective attention to what you are told. But i would still encourage you to try to sit down with a therapist or an experienced friend and write out what you want your life to look like and then to critically look at whether your SO can be a part of that life.

Do you want to have kids of your own? Will you be happy having them with a guy who has done that "baby" thing 5 times already? Add to that, you do not seem to share his approach to child-rearing ( as in "5 children is a clan, 4 daughters when you are a younger woman with an older man is ****a recipe for disaster**** !!! The parenting style they chose to adopt is that they are "best friends" with their children. as a result they are incredibly close but yield zero authority. their children have 100 percent say and its really such a wonder we have come so far at all...").

I can tell you that his parenting style is another recipe for disaster in a situation like yours - for your own personal disaster, because if the kids begin to show you disrespect, as believe me, they are likely to, as things typically get worse once dad declares he is getting re-married, having zero authority will not be helpful AT ALL. You will be a tortured soul in step-hell and a frequent contributor to this website - which is something *I* personally welcome! Join the club! But do you really want to?

It might all boil down to, does love conquer all? No, nein, non, negative to the nth degree.

Of course you love him, and i understand very well that he towers above all other men you have met so far. That's great! Take that as a sure sign that you can attract a gem of a guy, give yourself a big pat on the back, and release him. Set him free - and set yourself free from the step-family drama, the lonely Xmases and dark days and nights. Take great pride in having had him and having dealt with a very tough situation fairly and squarely. Certainly a period of personal growth for you. Now make it a priority to find someone who will make you a priority. You can do it. There are 7 billion people on this planet. You are young, strong, accomplished, and child-free.

You want to be Maria to this Von Trapp family? Don't get Von Trapped!!!

Dunwiththem's picture

Dear Darkdays,
I am not going to condemn or judge you. You obviously formed a deep friendship with this man long before you entered a physical relationship fully believing his marriage was a facade. When we believe we meet the man of our dreams – our soul-mate – it is a powerful force that in reality (VERY) few could resist.
But I feel that that you have invested much more of yourself in him than he ever could in you.
A large proportion of his heart, soul and life experience is already enmeshed with his wife and children, and always will be.
Try to step outside of your emotions for a moment and look at the cold, hard facts.
Even if he genuinely feels he loves you, he can never give his heart completely to you.
You are a young woman yearning for a life partner and children with him. He is not in your era.
He is likely not committed to starting again with new offspring. The current arrangement suits him. You give him free rein to see his children – and spend important holidays etc with them – which is quite reasonable given he is their dad. He continues to support his wife in ‘the manner to which she is accustomed’. But where does that leave you?
In your pigeon hole. He’s comfortable with that.
You say that friends and acquaintances accept you as a couple. What else can they do? They’re not likely to voice their private mutterings to you. Do you not think they are wondering why he hasn’t proceeded with a divorce or why you are left alone at Christmas?
So his wife has communicated you have almost ‘done her a favour’ – she has blossomed.
She is hardly going to admit to you the hurt, humiliation and rejection she must have felt. She bore this man five children.
I accept that when she gave him the ultimation, he chose you, which does go some way to the value he places on you. If he was a complete ahole, he would have stayed where he was. But despite his feelings for you, his baggage will never allow him to give you what you want.
All this without the crux of the matter which is the ‘step children’.
So far they know that their dad has a girlfriend. He is still married to their mother and in some degree, maybe even subconsciously, they will still see their parents as connected and maybe even end up back together.
As another poster put it, if marriage to you was ever on the cards things would change dramatically.
This whole website is about the deep-rooted and often unsurmountable problems encountered with steps. This is a whole can of worms you have barely scratched the surface of.
The resentment you will encounter will make your life a living hell.
One eternal SD triangle nearly drove me mental, let alone five.

The fact that you came here in misery looking for answers tells me that you are already having profound doubts about your future is very telling. You appear to be an intelligent and compassionate woman who believes she has found ‘the one’. If you try to hold on to this one you are headed for 10, 20, 30 years of trauma and misery. There is no doubt.
You called yourself ‘Darkdays’. You aint see nothin’ yet.
If you have the strength to let him go now, you will hurt and wonder if it ‘could have worked out’.
It couldn’t have. Take it from the battle-scarred members on here. Please take your life back before it’s too late.

omgsaveme's picture

Why would this man need to make any moves to do anything ? He has the best of both worlds, of course he tells you all these things about his wife, all men do it when they are having an affair. You are his therapist, his hole, his "lover" and he gets to keep the wife and not pay support or do anything. You haven't placed any demands on him therefore he does nothing to change the situation.

Like others said it doesn't matter which way you spin it, you had an affair with a married man. He's not divorcing his wife for a reason, you have been involved with him for how many years and its still the same, you spend your holidays alone while they all come together as a family. They are not done with each other, it may be hesitation to file for divorce because once the divorce is finalized that means it done, and often times people are scared of change and closure.

This will not get any better, these kids will not "respect your relationship with their father" cause there is no relationship cause he knows and they know. He hasn't told them anything to make them believe that he's in a serious relationship. When a man wants to move forward with a relationship with the other woman he will make moves for that to happen.

Move on, "this too shall pass" it will hurt for now but any emotions you feel are temporary, you will find someone else and look back on this whole situation and thank god you did.

Modernworld1011's picture

I know this one well. I met my husband while he and his wife were still married. She had reconnected with an old love in her past, so she encouraged her husband to date as well. When I first met my husband and he told me this, I said, "if you are both dating /being told to date other people just get a divorce.... " Then I was told that there were children, and it was complicated... So, beyond that initial chat we did not date. We kept in touch though. He would forward e-mails written to him by his then wife, organizing plans for her weekend with her boyfriend, containing the "go out an date like I am admonishments." Then there were the letters where she would remark that "it is time to divorce." He wanted so much to prove to me that he was not being deceitful, and that a future was possible. The situation still concerned me, so I held off. Fast forward, a year and a half, and we meet for lunch.... Two months later, he tells me "I am asking for a divorce." He did ask for a divorce, and suddenly happy sunny, "go get a girlfriend so you can be as happy as I am with my boyfriend and we should divorce" became "you cheater." He bought the guilt, and the kids bought the story of his guilt. One child did come to see the truth, but the other still hangs on to the story that the mother tells. It has clouded so much...

My point being is you only need one vindictive person to make things pretty horrible, and you have multitudes. There is still so much tarring of me as the "home wrecker" and my husband as the "home deserter." I don't buy into the nonsense but my spouse sure does.This means the kids get an even longer rope than the average child of divorce is given. They were not raised with much structure or rules to begin with, and now there is precious little. If they are upset, I just need to "understand," regardless of how unreasonable the upset child may be. Needless to say, when they are not around, life is much calmer. Out of sight is still not out of guilt range though. Just last week, he burst into tears because he took my child shopping while I was sick, and said he felt like he was "cheating" on his children by being kind and loving to my child. This is how twisted it can get. I have watched the confident man who believed in the correctness of his actions be reduced to a guilt ridden mess. We have much joy, but much time is also given over to these crazy times as well.

This craziness all happened AFTER divorce was requested. My point being what you have now is probably the better, more rosy time. I was so optimistic. The guy wasn't being a sneak, and the ex to-be was happy in her own relationship, so the kids will be told the full truth.... All wishful thinking... My worry for you is that what you have seen thus far is the prelude to the true misery. If you love the man, and feel it is worthwhile stay, but otherwise think long and hard.

I love my husband, and it hurts to be portrayed dishonestly, but our good does outweigh our bad most days. The bad days though are hell. You are often left feeling like an afterthought or a discardable being in your own life. Please consider very, very carefully if this is really the right life for you. Good luck, and much happiness either way.

darkdays's picture

so so interesting to read this... because the initial trauma was so extreme when the relationship was reveled and things have calmed down to a certain extent i wanted to believe that the worst days were over .. by reading all of these various accounts it seems i could not have been more mistaken... so unbelievably depressing..

SugarSpice's picture

agree. being a sm to children takes guts and a tough skin. if you cant face the criticism here and the honest advice and observation, you will never survive being a sm to the skids, esp if they think you broke up their parents' marriage.

SugarSpice's picture

fearless, this is good, honest advice. it is matter of fact and truthful.

Newimprvmodel's picture

Darkdays......I am not here to condemn you or judge you. Only to give you some thoughtful advice. Beware.. You are not even married to this man....if you were to marry him, I think it would only enrage these women more. Let me tell you about my situation. Dh was the guy whom the ex cheated on multiple multiple times, yet guess what?? The daughters all sided with their mother. I came on the scene and upset the apple cart because these chicks owned him, like a piece of meat. They refused to attend our wedding and dh got served with a court motion on our wedding day. You read that right. And all dh did was have the nerve to get married. I won't bore you with the years since our marriage other than to say the meanness continues.....a better word is sadism, because their behavior is so very cruel..
I can't speak about your relationship with their father, but I can warn you that I think these women will be enraged for years to come. How will you and your relationship weather the storm?

Valeria's picture

I am also wondering if this is a real post. I just saw one by a pugmom that is about a man with 5 kids that closely resembles some of things darkdays has said. And pugmom is a member for only 1 day, darkdays for 4 days. (I should talk, been only a member myself for 3 days). Just saying. Sometimes people writing books and stories fish for material.