You are here

Warning about FB StepMom Groups

fumblebee's picture

So I found this site a few days ago. I love the content, and in particular, this BIO-KID-FREE-ZONE. PSA: Don't go looking for StepMom groups on FB. I did because I find support groups on FB to be more accessible and "real time", but they don't have a "Bio-Kid-Free" filter. You post something on there and ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK. Holy CRAP! I've never joined and un-joined a group in a 24 hour time period before.

I just love the first response I got, "I could never be with someone who didn't accept my kids 100%. Kids come before all else. Shame on you for coming between your husband and his children."

Ummm, it took me everything not to reply...

"Honey, you obviously need a lobotomy."

ChiefGrownup's picture

Welcome. Tell us the rest of your story.

We have a saying around here. Kids may be your first responsibility but your spouse is your first priority. Or something like that.

Personally, I don't think we're in competition. And people who find their kids are not "accepted" had better take a cold hard look at their kids' behavior before they go wagging their fingers at other adults.

ldvilen's picture

"Honey, you obviously need a lobotomy." Ha! Too bad you didn't use that line. I've heard from other SMs too that, somewhat like this site, there are non-SMs who literally have the time to troll SMs sites, and ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK, as you say, every chance they get. Like you, I just think what a messed up mind you must have to go on a website that is clearly meant for SMs and try to a) act like you are a SM or "just curious," and b) turn around and attack as soon as you have your "proof," and tell them what a bunch of hos they must all be.

It is good to get differing opinions, but if kids come before all else no matter what, fine, but make sure your partner knows that before you get too involved, that is all I can say. Like I remember someone said once here, if a man insists on putting his kids first and foremost, forsaking all others, that makes him about as attractive as a grizzled old sailor with syphilis.

And, really, when you think about it, if she has kids and he has kids, and they are both trying to make sure their kids come first, pow!, what a disaster waiting to happen. Like ChiefGrownup says, we are not in a competition. There is dad's wife or SO, his children, and his ex-. These are all different roles. Unless dad/DH sets it up that way, and some do unfortunately, there should be no competition going on whatsoever. Maybe a little time envy here and there, but that is about it.

TwoOfUs's picture

It's amazing to me how ANGRY the general population gets at Stepmoms who insist that their needs matter, too. Like...a visceral, gut-level anger from people who have no idea what the stepmom is going through and have never lived it. Very strange.

ldvilen's picture

It is because they have all been trained via media or otherwise to think of SMs as intruders, who have suckered bio-dad into marrying them, and now they all want to keep bio-dad for themselves, no matter what the cost, and at the end of the day what they really want is to get their hands on daddy's goldbags. Wow! Did I nail that stereotype or what!?

The reality is that is just what it is--a stereotype. It is no different than all of the other stereotypes that existed long ago and some that are even still out there today, such as All blonde women are dumb, Girls are not good at sports, All Latinos dance well, White men can't jump, and so on and so on. The big difference is that the SM stereotype doesn't seem to get as much recognition or press as a stereotype.

Or, the stereotype that mom and dad or exes really belong together. There is a new series coming out on TLC titled: One More Day with my Ex. I cringed when I saw it. How about a series entitled: I'm Happy with My New Wife [or Husband] and Now the Kids and I Have a New Life?

SM12's picture

That is so true. If you are the SM who has no desire to become an active Mother figure to your DH's children then you are the Devil, at least in their eyes.
Fact is, I never wanted to be a mother to my SS's. Never, not once. I told my DH that early on. They have a mother, and a father, they don't need another mom.
My role is to back up DH in his parenting...plain and simple. I don't want to run the show or be the bad guy.
Yet I am seen as a terribly cold hearted person by BM because I don't want to give up my entire life to ensure the SS's every whim, desire and command is met.
And on the flip side, if I were to jump in with both feet and take on a major parenting role, I would be met with conflict again. BM would accuse me of overstepping my role, trying to turn her kids against her, blah blah blah.

It's a no win.

still learning's picture

"Kids come before all else."

Well, we know why her marriage failed.

uofarkchick's picture

I'm friends with this poor deluded soul on FB and she was posting about how she can't wait to find a man that loves her kids as much as she does. I tried to tell her that it's kind of an unreasonable expectation to place on someone since they aren't biologically his. She got very pissed off and said that she could love anyone's child as her own so she expects that out of anyone she dates. I told her she was going to be setting herself up for disappointment because the real world is very different than "happy family" fantasy land.

thinkthrice's picture

Well, it IS different for stepDADs. A HELL of a lot easier--if you are a stepdad and stay quiet, act as an ATM and agree with everything the bossy GUBM says, you will instantly earn the "BM Seal of Approval" (TM)

--Just ask StepDaddyBigBucks--personal ATM, errr I mean husband to the Girhippo and brood.

secret's picture

lol, been there done that.

I got some responses like that... but they weren't all that many of them.

Most of the responses I received were along the lines of what we get here.

thinkthrice's picture

And I believe the non-SMs that have time to troll and attack is because they are living pretty much scott free off of CS.

fumblebee's picture

A little bit about me:

I'm 42, and child-free my nature, then by choice, at age 40. When I first met my current husband at age 34, I was all jazzed up with Mommy juice. I was going to have a kid with this man, either naturally, or through IVF (if one more person asked me to adopt, arghhhhh). I was also very open to being a Stepmother, even though I had a very long, and tumultuous relationship with my own.

I tried like hell for THREE years. Probably the worst 3 years of my life. Even worse than life with my ex-husband. I felt especially vulnerable, having endured 12 years of infertility treatments. I am a Christian and questioned God's motives. I couldn't have a child of my own, but here I was with the spawn of the devil himself.

Things got bad for my current husband and I. I was always portrayed at the bad cop, and already being suseptible to both anxiety and depression, I left him. I had already endured enough hell in my life. I wanted joy. I wanted happiness.

Then he followed me, to a state 500 miles away. Many people think this is a character flaw of his (and a sin), but he left his children, for me. He wanted to get away from WWIII too. He wanted a fresh start too. So here we are, and we ARE happy. After several more failed treatments for infertility, I decided that my body and spirit and been through enough. I accepted a child-free life, at the age of 40 and it has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. I now mother in alternative ways, and choose that being a Stepmom is not a life-giving role for me.

So, for the last 2 years, my husband sees his kids on his own terms, without me.

I do worry about the long term effects of this, on my marriage, and on his kids. But, at the same time, I'm so incredibly happy and grateful that I CHOSE ME!!!!!!!!!