You are here

Vent: new parents

RainbowsAndDaisies's picture

My BIL and his girlfriend have just had their first and only child. They have been parents for 15 days. Both have made in appropriate judgemental comments to dh and I about how we choose to raise ss8. Among other things we have been told that their 15 day old baby will not be spoiled like ss is. They are talking about a child who hasn't seen his mother in months, has beautiful manners and who is raised by a college student (me) and a welder (dh). I fail to see how he is spoiled. Dh says just let it roll right off they don't know what they are talking about but I am angry that ss's godfather (my BIL) is putting him and our parenting down. He has been a parent for fifteen days!

20 plus's picture

Uggg. I hate parenting advice/ comments from people. It really bugs me. I find it comes from people who are insecure. Ignore them Smile

oldone's picture

Oh but this gives you ammunition for YEARS. You will have to bring up this comment every time their child misbehaves (which is what normal children do more often than we'd like).

realitycheckmom's picture

Just ask him to write all his parenting advice and criticisms of your parenting down for you. Then when he does all those things he complained you do that are wrong show him his words. :)It will happen. TRUST ME!

My exh and I used to say all the time, to each other only, that we would never do this or that like his brother's crazy wife was doing. I find myself giving in a lot more to DD because of her circumstances than I said I would. That being said I have never gone as far as my ex-sil. She now has a rather nasty little girl who will send her future SP here. (I was telling a co-worker once some of my nieces habits and she actually asked me if neice was so and so and I was shocked that she knew my niece. Apparently her bad behavior was so well known at her private school that all teachers and parents talked about her. SAD!

The thing is, every time gf nurses the baby, she drinks a beer or two... While nursing. She says it makes the milk come out better. This is basically the only parenting decision they've made at 15 days old. Is the kid drinking the alcohol when she does that though? I haven't said anything to them and neither has dh . And I won't. Not my kid not my problem.

realitycheckmom's picture

Hell yes the kid is drinking the alcohol. You are supposed to drink so many hours before you nurse. WTG! Killing brain cells before the kid even gets a chance to use them. What is wrong with people. That is also grounds for child services to remove the child. Tell her to ask her doctor about that drinking beer while nursing or read a parenting book. They all say no alcohol while nursing.

Shook's picture

That is hilarious! Your kids are older & she's still advising you on that. My DH's sister does the same. My BD is already out of college & an adult. Yet she's trying to tell me how to deal with the damaged skid. Is she kidding? Her kids like 12. Wait till next year. She honestly thinks it would be nice for him to spend time with his cousin. Go for it. Wait till he starts teaching your kid to talk back at you & all the different names there are for female genitalia. Go-for-it!

furkidsforme's picture

HOnestly, if you are really close then at a time when it hasn't happened, you should point out that they do this, that it is offensive, and that everyone BUT THEM thinks they are a moron when they say it. Don't point it out in a mean way, more like a Pssstt.... you're being a jerk.

BIL and gf are of the "there is only one way to live life and if you aren't doing it our way you are wrong" variety. It didn't bother me very much until they started bringing ss and our parenting into it. Now it feels like a personal attack and I feel angry and defensive off ss.

nmsklng's picture

In other transfer information,replica oakley sunglasses Sligo captain Adam Hughes has concluded his shift replica oakleys for sale to Drogheda United, burberry collar while you are final year’s discount oakley sunglasses Initial Division Participant belonging to the Year Philip replica oakleys Hughes may be to indication for Kildare County.