You are here

smoke detector

dirtybiology's picture

I am already arguing with my husband about this so if you are going to rag on me for what I am about to post please do not bother commenting. I really just need to vent and have someone who might know how I feel hear me.

We live in a really old house, it was terrible when we moved in and the deal with the landlady was that we would fix it up for cheap rent. We don't have an official lease or anything like that. We have been fixing the house up and painting each room as we can. We have lived here for three years. It is a three bedroom house. Now, our landlady is considering selling or raising the rent and property managers/ insurance agents will be looking at the house, inside and out. I mentioned to my husband that we don't really have any smoke detectors in the house and we should probably tell our landlady that we need to get some before anyone comes to look at the house. He mentioned that he was supposed to get them when we first moved in but never did. So we buy some last night (but only three so not all rooms can get one), he comes home today and starts installing them. For the past THREE years there has been only ONE in the entire house, and that one has been in SS8's room who we have 50/50 custody of.
So where does my husband install the first new one at? Not our room, not the kitchen.. SS8's room.
I do not know WHY this irritated me so much but I guess it made me think wtf do you not care that I have been sleeping in a room without a smoke detector for three years??
UGH, annoyed.

twoviewpoints's picture

I frankly would not have waited three years before going out, purchasing and installing the detectors. Even if it meant I had to pay and do the installing.

If Dad managed one and put it only in the kid's room, I hope a fire does not start elsewhere in the home too long before the smoke reaches that one particular alarm.

I likely wouldn't think of this as he trying to protect his kid first and only...because I'm wondering where the heck his head has been for the last three years. None in the basement? Kitchen? Stairways? WTF? Is the kid playing with matches in her bedroom that the one room was his first thought?

notsurehowtodeal's picture

You should also install carbon monoxide detectors. In our state they have to be installed for a house to pass an inspection.

I get your anger - even if it is not logical! In the future if DH won't install detectors either do it yourself or hire it done.

24 years as a SM's picture

In California, a rental must have a smoke detector in every bedroom, one in the hallway and a carbon monoxide detector in a central location.

Rags's picture

I doubt you will get any friction from anyone here. I am a bit confused why the one in the Skid's room was replaced rather than the three new ones going in the other bedrooms and the kitchen.

smh

dirtybiology's picture

Thanks guys! Working on getting a carbon monoxide alarm as we do live in CA. But I'm going to let someone else tell him it's required haha I already said it once. I feel a little better and he did end up finding a few old ones in the basement so he shuffled them around so the better looking ones are in common areas.