You are here

Pissed off DH but proved point

jaal's picture

My DH and I dated from 2004-2007 and broke up before he deployed to the Middle East. When he came back he dated a woman with three boys, two of them twins who were the same age as my DSD. Anyway, they dated for three years also, and had moved in together and him, her, his daughter and her three sons all lived like a big, happy family in a single home. He describes it like a modern-day Brady Bunch, until she was unfaithful to him on his next deployment in 2010. I was also deployed around the same time and me and DH reconnected, grew close, and obviously got back together.

Well, last night he was looking at pictures on his Facebook from a vacation he took with this woman and the kids. I'm not really the jealous type and he doesn't talk to her anymore. We were talking on the phone, and I got on Facebook and looked at the same album. What do I see? Lots of pictures of her and HER boys, and lots of pictures of him and HIS daughter. There's two with all of them together, a lot with just the kids (mainly focused on his own daughter), some with just him and her, but really none with one parent hanging out with the other's kid(s). Anyone who didn't even know them could look at these pictures and say that clearly there were some lines being drawn in the proverbial beach sand. I pointed this out to him, and he got really annoyed.

Now, when we discuss his DD, he can't understand why I wouldn't love her like my own from the start. I explained that I DO love her and I will certainly try to treat her like my own, but it's not the same. He's always claimed he loved this other woman's kids like his own and ALWAYS treated all the kids like they were his, he didn't have to "try." When I pointed out that pictures from a vacation actually seemed to SHOW otherwise, he got kind of mad.

Then the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Well, it's been three years since you broke up, do you still talk to her boys?"
Him: "No, I haven't had contact with them since we broke up."
Me: "If you truly loved them like your own, I would think that you would. After all, when you broke up with your ex-wife, you fought tooth and nail to have access to your daughter."
Him: "That's different. I don't have legal rights to her kids, and it would have been weird because she moved her new boyfriend into her house."
Me: "If you really loved them like you own, I would think a little awkwardness wouldn't keep you from seeing them and keeping up with their lives."
Him: "It's different because they're not my own ki-"
Me: "Exactly."

abitguarded's picture

Sounds like you made him go :jawdrop: LOL

It may have pissed him off, but I think you did the right thing. You made a very valid point.

Starla's picture

Lines in the sand..My evil thought is "he has his head in the sand" }:)

You brought up a good point to him and its true.

myspoonistoobig's picture

Awesome.

jaal's picture

He actually called to apologize this morning and said he stayed up late last night thinking about it. He admitted a lot of things to me and actually does see where I'm coming from now. I feel better and more relieved than I have since BM flipped her s*** and he got custody of her.

He mostly admitted that he had sort of been in denial to himself because that's what feels natural. He explained that he would have felt like a bad person for not accepting their partner's kids as they would their own. He even admitted to being a hypocrite during that period in his life, because he said that he did go out of his way to make her boys feel included and do fun things with them, but he never actually "looked forward" to it. He didn't dread it by any means, but it never occurred to him that he never really got as excited about having them along as his own DD. Then he admitted it was true, it was impossible to claim that you can love someone's kids as your own when you break up with that person and then never talk to them or even really think about them again.

The reason he was looking through that Facebook album was because I got him a digital photo frame for father's day and he was looking for some pictures of him and his DD to put in it. He ended up keeping the pictures of just him and his own kiddo but otherwise deleted the album. He also deleted a few other albums of their group trips to the zoo and a Ranger's game. I didn't ask him to delete them by any means. In a tiny way it bothers me that he kept the albums but for the most part, I accept that it was from a period in his life when his DD was littler and he wanted to keep those pictures as memories because she deserves to have pictures of herself growing up. But even in the fact that he still had the albums, he admitted that he didn't often go back and look at them and fondly remember the other woman (or her kids for that matter).

Then he really opened up and admitted that he just would have felt like a bad person if he didn't view her kids as his own, because after all, isn't that how the world tend to view blended families? We should all just get along and love each other equally? He told me he actually kind of felt like a bad person after he realized he had never truly looked at her sons as his own and dropped them like hot potatoes the moment things went south with their mom only to never really think about them again. So now he really does sort of know how I feel. And it's LIBERATING!

On a side note, we don't plan on having kids of our own, so thankfully there will never be that tense, "our" kid(s) versus "your" kid scenario in our house, and I think that will help keep a lot of the drama down.

abitguarded's picture

It sounds as if you did make an impact. It also sounds as if he loves you and willing to evaluate himself to make things work. You will probably have to remind him again...lol....but at least he did some soul searching. Deleting those pics on his own is a step forward.

Happy to hear.....good luck!