You are here

Introduction and history

elizabeth in a corner's picture

Hi folks,
This is my first time posting instead of just lurking, but I think I've reached the point where if I don't get some help I'll be leaving my husband. I know that sounds rather dramatic, but I've been trying to deal with the same handful of problems for almost three years now, to little avail. I'll start by giving some background on my situation and give some insight on why I have hit this point. Apologies if this is long.

I'm 33 years old, currently living in Ohio, but from Missouri. All of my family, friends, everything is still in Missouri, I am in Ohio because that's where my husband, (age 45) is from, along with his now, 15 year old daughter. He and I met through some mutual friends and dated long distance for almost five years before we got married. In that span of time I experienced several severe tmj flairup that lasted several months each, three back surgeries, a removed gallbladder, major nerve damage, and a couple of other things that have left me a chronic pain chick. Through all of this my husband was with me and very supportive and loving. I managed to keep working, but all of the physical trauma and exhausting pain threw me into a very dark depression that I couldn't figure out how to get out of. Eventually, through careful research I was able to get a solid handle on it and regain a normal life. Partly due to the love from my family and husband, but a large part was thanks to Elmo, my now 18 year old spider monkey. He has been with me since he was eight months old and as far as I'm concerned, he's my son. I've done everything for him that a mother would do for a child she didn't give birth to. He is my boy, and knowing I couldn't be with him was what drove me to do my therapy and everything I could in order to walk well enough to take care of him.
As a side note, my family took care of Elmo while I was down and they see to his needs now.

My husband has known all along that Elmo and I are a package deal. I never once made a secret of it. If Elmo didn't like the guy I was dating, then we broke up. I made a commitment to his care and well being and I take it very seriously. My husband also knew that I had no desire to have my own kids or be any sort of parent to a human. He frequently assured me that I wouldn't have to take on a mother roll with his kid. She has a mom and I didn't want to be one. So, I wasn't terribly concerned about being forced into such a roll since I was told I wouldn't have to be. At this point I think a little background on the kid in question is valuable. She's a 15 year old uber Catholic just like her mother and a polar opposite of me. She is not a self starter by any means, and is unnaturally fearful of anything new. She does nothing that requires the least bit of effort. Case in point, she won't eat fruit that requires slicing unless someone else has done it. Not because she has had a bad experience with a knife, but because it requires effort. I can recall an episode when she didn't want to take her own hotdog off the Forman grill because it was hot. To which I replied, it would feel hot to me as well, but I'm not the hungry one. Now, had she been six when that happened, I would have gladly taken it off for her, but this happened when she was almost 14. The only reason she asked is because everything is done for her by her mother and as much as I love him, her father is just as guilty. If she so much as looks confused or
gets frustrated, the problem is solved for her. And I don't blame her for expecting it, after all it is how she was raised. But, it's long past time to grow up. I think she could do it in spite of her mother if her father wasn't so afraid of pushing her away. His kid has a half sister that is a lot older because their uber religious mother got knocked up when she was a teen, and my husband raised the older one like his own child. Well, she turned her back on him and treats him badly, only comes around when she wants money, and despite my efforts to bring us all together, lied horribly to me right before our wedding, nearly stopping it. So, she is less than nothing to me. At 21 she knew full well the difference between the truth and not, I will never believe she "made a mistake" as my husband says. Which is one of our core problems. No matter how I'm treated by the kid or the older one, it's one of three things; I'm either trying to compete, it's all in my head, or, I'm too critical. Any time I bring up an issue, those are my husband's go to lines and it never gets any farther than yelling and me crying.

Which brings us to the present times. Currently, I'm working only part time while I wait for my full time job to start but I'm keeping my days very full as to not think about Elmo. Because I don't have Elmo. Because the laws in this horrible state changed, and it is no longer safe to have him here. Which works out for my husband, because his ex decided to throw a huge hissy fit when his kid whined to her that she wasn't sure she was ok with him being in the house. Never mind the fact that the year before we got married I couldn't pry him out of her arms. Suddenly things had changed, and despite telling me she was ok with it and excited to have him here, she told both her mom and dad that she was worried and didn't want him here. I couldn't believe it. I was hurt, badly. I thought she and I had a decent, honest relationship up to that point. It all happened right around the time I learned that despite me being able to legally keep him in the city, the tiny suburb we are in changed the law without public knowledge. I was beyond crushed. I had been working for a full year to get a room ready for Elmo and get all the right licenses squared away. And now there's a room ready for my boy, but he isn't there. I fell into a darkness that I had never known. For the first three weeks, my husband was there for me as I did little but cry. He was very kind to me for a while, but when I mentioned that it really hurt me that his kid lied to me, he said she would never lie and was protecting my feelings. But she told me something she knew she didn't feel was true. A lie. But, if you ask my husband she never lies or manipulates. To which end, I bottle it up now and the end result is a growing resentment. Not only towards her, but towards my husband as well.
So, when I was going through the worst of my depression, I started avoiding his kid. I didn't feel like I could trust myself not to yell at her, and I don't believe in lashing out at someone for nothing. I was ok with that way of dealing with it and I was trying to work out what I wanted to do about the situation, butaafter a few weeks, my husband wasn't. I will never forget being at work and getting a text from himin rresponse to what I planned to do after work. I told him I just wanted to be alone, and his response was,"get over it, it's not our fault. "
That was very tough to take as he was unwilling to move somewhere I could have Elmo in two instead of four years, and despite him suggesting that I could move back for a year or so, when I decided that was the least horrible path, he changed his mind and lost it. So I'm here. Completely devastated on the inside. Not to mention the chronic pain, and a handful of other mountains I have to climb.But, I never talk about Elmo and I never yell at her.

Which brings me to last night. I was sitting on the couch watching Mad Men, my husband was already home, so he knew I was really watching it, when his kid came over. They both started talking loudly about her day, while I was straining to hear the tv. Then, my husband tells her to go get one 9f their games, they set it up right in front of me on the floor and began reading the instructions loudly. I couldn't believe how rude it was. He knew I was into the show. She has an entire room they could use, but I might as well have been invisible for all the politeness I was shown. It wasn't until I picked up my knitting and headed to our bedroom that he said,"we weren't going to play till your show was done" And, I replied with,"it's cool, you're already set up". And I went up to our room. Which sucks, but she has no limit on tv time, and for someone with a lot of nerve damage and easily over stimulated, a lot of noise is impossible to handle for long stretches. The logical thing is to ask to turn the tv off, as no one needs tv from the time they get up till the time they go to bed, but that doesn't work. The handful of times I've tried that, I get the excuse parade from my husband. She had a lot of homework today, she worked hard (yeah right!) today, and so on. So, it's just easier if I remove myself and fill my needs. Plus, I've always been of the mind that if someone has something first, then you wait your turn. When I do this when it's just my husband, he either doesn't notice right way, or he's busy too, so it's ok. But, when his kid is here, and it happened last night, he comes flying up the stairs and asks me what's wrong. I was a little hurt and angry that they had been so rude, so I told him they had been very rude, and they had pushed me out. Because that's his other go to fight point with me; if I say I don't feel included, he tells me that I'm the reason I feel that way. Never once has he ever taken responsibility for the actions Itell him make me feel left out. Because I'm not like the two of them in a lot of ways, it's my fault. So, I feel trapped. He tells me I can be myself, but he doesn't pay me much attention when I'm over 110 pounds, he doesn't like my curly hair, he doesn't want me to be honest with his kid about anything because if she gets upset she might pull away, he doesn't like the two ferrets I've acquired to try and fill the need for animal companionship. He doesn't seem to have much good to say about anything that's truly me. He doesn't like the music I like, he doesn't like my taste in clothes. So, I find it hard to believe I'm allowed to be myself. I can't say anything I really believe to his kid, as she has gotten extremely worked up over nothing in the past. So, why does he think I would want to be in that situation? Because he thinks I am supposed to want to mother his kid. He flat out told me last night that if I didn't want to be a mother, I shouldn't have married him. But he told me I didn't have to be. I don't know what to do.

I would also like to add that when I'm depressed and wanting to retreat, his first thought isn't for me. It's for his kid. Because, in his words, "she doesn't know how to feel, no one in her family ever acts like that. You create so much tension in this house because you always want to be alone." Never,"Are you ok? I know you miss Elmo, I'm sorry he isn't here." Never anything like that and he wonders why I have no love for his kid. Why can't he ever think about my hurt and at least pretend to care?

mom2futuresuperhero's picture

He is completely self involved. Cut your losses. You deserve more.

I don't want to leave just yet. Sometimes I have glimmers of hope that he will some day understand my needs. And I know I'm not a joy to be around when I'm down, but I am very careful to never yell or call names.
I did point out last night, that there are lots of different types of people in this world, and if she can't cope with it then it's not my problem. That comment did seem to hit something, because he did back off a bit.

Rags's picture

Recount the exact conversation the two of you had before you married including his comments about not having to be mother to his prior relationship spawn. Then walk away.

Though I completely understand how irriated you are by the rude behavior, you caved and walked away rather than turning the TV volume up to earsplitting levels to give him a hint that they were being rude, or better yet just telling them to leave the room until your show was over.

Your DH knows that he is wrong and rather than manning up he is trying to deflect by trying to put his on you. Don't tolerate it. His treatment of you and comments to you re; your hair, weight, pets, clothes, etc.. are toxic, emotionally abusive, and intollerable. You should not tolerate them.

It is far past time to head home to Elmo as the monkey is far more of a man and adult than your DH.

No saint's picture

I hadn't read the 110 lbs. WTF!!!! Either the OP is quite short and that's a good weight for her or the guy is insane!

Rags's picture

My bride has a former colleague and close friend whose XH had the same issue. She is a classic size 4, curvy, etc... and very pettite. He would give her shit if she got any heavier than 110lbs. If she hit 115 he would be a complete asshole to her. After about 10yrs of marriage and two kids she finally had enough and left him. Personally I found her to be quite skeletal at 110 and rippingly smokin hot at 115-120.

Shortly after she and the kids moved out of their home he got a huge promotion. She still left him. She put the kids in martial arts and struck up a friendship with the instructor who was also going through a divorce at the same time. She is now a Black Belt, was recruited to be the CFO of a regionally prominant company and looks rippingly hot and amazing. As she progressed towards her blackbelt her XH begged to have sex with her "just one more time" during their breakup and divorce. Nope, not a snowballs chance in hell would she let that happen.

She recently remarried and is amazing happy. It shows very well on her.

The OP needs to have confidence to put this asshole in her rear view mirror and own his ass for child support for the next 20-ish years.

I'm sorry you have to deal with a spoiled brat, too. It's just insane. My mother raised me to keep up with my things and be responsible. And if you knew what your job was, she better not have to tell you to do it. I can't believe life has changed so much that kids are turning out like our SKs. It's pathetic and just makes me want to blow up the whole world. Really.

I tried to cut him some slack since I knew he was horrified to loose his bio kid since her sister turned out to be such a cunt, but it's getting so out of hand. I've told him a thousand times, I can't cope with a lot of noise, but if that noise is his kid and I leave the room, then he magically forgets what I said because it makes her uncomfortable. Fuck her.

It's not that he won't touch me, it's that the touching drops way down and the complements evaporate if I'm heavier than I am now, which is right at 109 right now. I'm 5'1, so it's only a little below the average. We are having a fight over text right now. I feel so gutted.

His last text: "do whatever you want, it's pretty apparent that you're miserable here."

My chest hurts. Doesn't he care if I'm here at all? I don't believe I'll ever be loved

furkidsforme's picture

Oh I just can't take it....

Playing the role of victim just comes off you in WAVES, OP. Leave the dude, go get your monkey, and get some counseling.

The poor distraught maiden in the tower waiting to be rescued act is old.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Elizabeth, you're 33 and petite. He's 45 and lives in a cage with his daughters as keeper. YOU are the one with all the advantages. You will be fine. Indeed, you will need to grieve over the failure of a marriage, hopes, and dreams. But it is certainly beyond repair now and once you accept that the road to healing will begin.

My advice: get on the first plane to Elmo. Never look back.

P.S. I adore my dh. He is wonderful and just right for me. But if my two dogs had still been on this earth when I met him, I could not have married him. SD has no dog manners. I would not expose them to her. Ever. Your pet makes you happier than your dh does. Your commitment to your pet is stronger and rightly so as you are his world and his caregiver. You are actually important to your pet.

AllySkoo's picture

I dunno... I agree that your DH is being a prick. But I do have to wonder if he's being a prick because HE is miserably unhappy as well. You said he was very supportive during your medical issues, which tells me he wasn't ALWAYS a selfish prick. You also said you've been battling some fairly crippling depression. And that can be HELL for your partner to deal with, as well as you.

Just to be sure - you ARE in counseling for the depression, right? Because you absolutely need to be. But your DH does too. If you're not ready to leave, I'd suggest you try that. Both of you INDIVIDUALLY do counseling. Once you've gotten your own counseling, marriage counseling wouldn't hurt either.

Depression as you've described is very serious, and can affect you and the people around you terribly. Please make sure that BOTH OF YOU have the support you need.