You are here

Why should I be responsible for HIS taxes.

CC's picture

I've posted in this forum some time ago about my soon-to-be ex. Throughout our short marriage (just about 4 years) he's insisted that every dime he makes through the business I helped him start (which as soon as it started making $$$ he proclaimed I had nothing to do with) is absolutely HIS money. It's none of my business and I have absolutely no business questioning him about HIS money and what he does for his family-his daughters and his mother.

While his adult daughters (22 & 18) are provided with bank cards he loads on a monthly basis (in addition to any other monies they need whenever) I don't have access to any of his bank accounts, no bank card or anything else. He also pays a monthly stipend to help support his mother. But those daughters (the older one in particular) is totally out of control. He's paid (or in paying) rent, monthly cell bill, pocket chain, auto mechanic bills, spring break hotel bills, traffic tickets...whatever. She's also trying to talk him into helping her start a business. What else.....here it comes....the daughters' mother (whom he was never married) has started calling asking for money for the 18 yr old's sport fees...and wants my husband to buy her (the daughter) a car and talks about how she encourages them both (the girls) to ask their father for what they need- even thinks it's cute that the older one "isn't afraid to ask)--this from a woman that didn't let my husband see the girls for over 10 years and whose OWN FATHER did most of the girls raising. The younger one in fact still lives with him and the they've both lived with him throughout their life periodically. I can see where they get it from the MOTHER has had her OWN father financially supporting her and her daughters throughout their lives....and are simply carrying on the tradition with my husband.

But, I don't care about that. It's HIS problem.

What I do care about is...the tax man.

Suddenly, my husband wants to use me on his taxes-to be responsible for HIS tax debt. And proclaims that if I weren't such a loser he would have been able to pay his taxes.

This man over the last two years as made at least $130000.00 AT LEAST. NOT including stock accounts.

Hasn't paid a single federal or state tax.

I'm not saying that places him in millionaire status.

I own my own home. No other debt. No credit cards. Only utilities. In the last two years, he's covered the majority of the household expense which I will estimate at about 10,000. TWO years. And he didn't cover all of those expenses. I help. So, I can really only fairly give him credit for covering about 6000 AT THE MOST of those expense over the TWO years(incredibly low cost of living)-mostly due to my unemployment. And he did take care of some home repairs.

AND he did do "give" me 6G, of which I used to purchase real estate (which he insisted be in both our names). The land however is registered as a business-technically in neither of ours names. Luckily, I own the higher percentage control. I don't know how that will work out since a divorce is certain at this point.

Nothing is going to change.

I have no control over how he spends a single PENNY of HIS money. I can't even ask him to help pay monthly household expenses without him jumping down my throat. And I'm constantly belittled-mercilessly...but he wants me to be responsible for the pickle he's gotten himself into with the tax man.

Really?

Is it me-am I a bitch or does this man really believe I'm a fool?

twopines's picture

>>>proclaims that if I weren't such a loser he would have been able to pay his taxes.<<<

He sure knows how to turn on the charm when he wants a favor.

I vote for...he believes you're a fool.

CC's picture

Yeah. He's a charmer....(correction) bully.

CC's picture

He really is.

I guess he just figured he could bully me forever and because I'd dealt with so much other crap in the past it had become his "norm".

When you get married to people like this-you never expect this is how it'll turn out in the end. This last year and a half-since the "money" was brutal.

Anyway, it helps "writing" out loud so I can silently scream!

Smile

I've come a long way baby!

Towanda's picture

Get a lawyer right now. I am pretty sure in my state, you would be responsible for his tax debt. Hate to see you lose your personal stuff over that a hole.

Orange County Ca's picture

I also think you're on the hook being you're married - in fact you may be dunned for 100% of his taxes, penalties and interest. All of your assets could be seized to pay them off even if held seperately. Bank accounts, stocks, bonds, cars, homes all are on the line here. The IRS does not mess around and has almost unlimited power to collect from whomever they can.

You need a tax attorney now to make sure you don't make any mis-steps. If the divorce is a simple one, no kids, no intertwined finances he can probably work up the divorce papers also but make sure he's a tax expert. You need help badly.

LONGTIME SM's picture

The IRS website indicates that if you did not file jointly you are not considered liable for your spouses tax bill. If however you hold any accounts jointly with your husband -if they seize the account to meet his tax obligations then they may end up with funds that are yours. Make sure you remove all of your funds from any joint accounts and that your property is in your name only. Good luck.