You are here

Financially Supporting Adult Step-Children

CC's picture

I'm at my wits end. I just found out that my husband has given his daughter (age 21) a duplicate copy of our bank card. Or reloadable money card. He wouldn't say for certain. He's been extremely secretive. I believe it's to the main bank about because of the secretiveness. I don't have a bank card to our bank or a money card. He told me that it's none of my business what he does for his children and if he wants to support his adult daughter he has the right. And that I, as an adult, should worry about myself and not who any of the money coming into our household is distributed. He has a business, in which I helped him start, that's beginning to generate pretty good income. I do billing, grunt work, generated the big lead from a website I buildt for him which started the business on the upswing-not to mention a series of other things. Before the business started making "big money"-it was "ours". Now, he tells me I need to "get a job" because I don't contribute. This is because I can't go out and do the "physical work" and he's "in" the the account I acquired. I have absolutely no control of finances. Prior to this whole bank card issue-his daughters (two of them) have started on a regular basis asking from anything and everything in between money-to pricey shoes. My husband said I can start worrying about money when I get a job and contribute. Neither of his daughters like me. They don't speak to me. And when we got married they told my husband off. I've known my husband just about my entire life and we were together for 12 years before marriage. He was never married to the girls mother-and didn't claim the older until he was forced into blood tests. And prior to about 3 years ago hadn't had contact to either for more than 10 years. Contact started after I was able to locate them (the mother didn't want him around the girls since she and he weren't going to be together) through investigation to make my husband (then boyfriend) happy.

CC's picture

Thank you. I'm extremely angry, but more hurt. To the point of tears. But what can I do at this point except leave? I can't believe this is happening. I've spent so much time in this business to make it work for us and we look toward the future. Because of this I haven't been in the "work world" for about 6 years helping with the accounting, marketing, advertising-everything. I'm educated (accounting degree and a few others), but I'm 45. What can I say? I bought into the "us" spill. Honestly, I began seeing the light this summer after he made nearly 50Gs in less than a month from my lead-and I received a Android tablet and a thousand dollars for "helping".

Even though I'm hurt and afraid, I'm leaving because I don't feel there's any point of continuing. He's showed me what I have to look for in the future and his daughters are constantly "increasing their needs". He and his D have even decided she's staying in my home with us for the summer. No one consulted me except to say "this is happening" or (according to my H) "I'll set up house with my daughter". It's like I'm living in a hell-in a way that I brought on myself. The other (17) nickles and dimes regularly-constantly asking for whatever-namely expensive name brand ritzy shoes ($200 and up). I shop discount or thrift stores. I did have a nice Christmas gift (still less than $200-no to say the cost mattered at all to me-just to demonstrate), but only after he wanted to justify getting them jewelry...of which he was worried "wasn't costly" enough for them and he didn't want to appear cheap.

When I try talking to him-he over talks and bullies-ultimately telling me off. The older girl is also on a mission to get him to buy her a car. My husband said I don't have anything to say about that because he also bought me (a grown adult) a car. Mind you-he didn't. We purchased the car together. So why shouldn't he do the same for his adult daughter. And I'm always on the outside looking in trying to figure out what's going on-constantly being reminded that I have no job and it's none of my business-especially since I have food-he's providing-from the business we've buildt. It's a never-ending story.

I have nothing, except my home (a fixer-upper), but I KNOW it's over. As far as them doing anything for him-they didn't even have the courtesy to thank him for the Christmas gifts, never send cards or thank you notes...just call to shoot the breeze and ease into a "beg" sooner than later. Totally inconsiderate-except when "asking".

CC's picture

Smile VERY encouraging!

IT is inappropriate. I'm at a lost for words. Almost in a cloud "Is this happening?"

Since I can't sleep I'll spend a couple of hours working on my resume and browsing usajobs.gov tonight. It's helped chatting with you.

my.kids.mom's picture

What's to stop you from starting your own company and taking this account with you?

I've had my own internet business for almost 9 years and I know how much work you have to put into a business to get it going. He should be ashamed of himself for treating you that way.

First, if you divorce him, won't you get half of the profits from the biz?

Second, if you can do it once, you can do it twice. Come up with another biz and build it for yourself. You have already gotten past the hard part. Now that you know what/how, you can duplicate what you know. Good luck!

CC's picture

First of all, congratulations on your business!

I guess nothing. It's all just happening and I'm shell-shocked and have to come up with a game plan. Yes, I put in an ENORMOUS amount of time, effort and energy into the business. Furthermore, I know I'm going to also be responsible for any tax bill. Ashamed. He should be, but I'm set aback by his complete arrogance and the chirping of his voice, "get a job", "when you contribute," "my business"...as if I've done absolutely nothing at all-while in fact I've been there from day one-and care for him and the home while helping. He's never had to hire and accountant. He's never had to hire a web builder, a bookkeeper, business plan writer, receptionist, a graphic designer ect....and I've been at his beck in call.

I'm going to retain an attorney to assert my rights, definitely.

You're right, I do have some marketable skills, and striking out on my own is feasible. It's just devastating seeing my hard work "go down the drain" and seeing myself get cast away like a rag so easily.

emotionaly beat up's picture

This is so unfair, but typical. Legally I am sure you would be entitled to some sort of share in the business and I would make sure you got every single thing you were entitled to.

I too encouraged my husband to have his kids in his life. What a stupid bloody thing to do. It has almost caused me my marriage. I however am almost 60 starting again now finding work re-training etc., is going to be hard work should it come to that, and finding employment in today's climate at 60 will not be easy either. You are at a good age to start again, do not leave things as they are till you are 50. Go and talk to a solicitor and find out where you stand financially.

What he does with the money is your business, who he gives cards to is your business, but the height of disrespect is to invite someone who hates you to come and live in your home. Get some legal advice an then see what you want to do, at the moment you are to hurt and upset to make a good decision, at least if you have someone tell you exactly where you stand financially it will be one less thing running through your mind full of what ifs. This is so wrong.

CC's picture

It was stupid and apparently foolish. But this scenario? Is this a movie? No, it's my life.

I will contact an attorney first thing Tuesday. The economy is pretty bad for everyone and you're right I'd better get on the ball right away. I have no idea-starting-how I'm going to make initial expenses-even once I get the attorney (which is going to be a challenge in itself (being broke). But, I'll take it one day at a time. I collect alot of vintage I find at thrifts, auctions, and estate sales-so maybe I can make use of those items and sell some things online to stay afloat with the basics I guess.

I'm just in a daze. I couldn't believe he invited her (and she's coming) either. Very smug about it all-despite my obvious distress and uncomfortableness. Furthermore, I didn't mention earlier-in the past she's invited him to visit her (in another state)-and asked him not to bring me. He went (with his brother). Three days gone...he did however leave me with $40.00.

I feel like a fool.

Ah yes well we have all made fools of ourselves over men haven't we. Most of us on this site myself included have been completely stupid in the name of love, but we all make mistakes and as long as we learn from them it's no biggy. As for paying the attorney that shouldn't be a problem because as you are fully dependent on your husband I am sure your attorney will find some way of making him pay. Leaving you with $40 for three days, well, you found yourself a right Prince didn't you. I am sure your Attorney will be able to sort this out for you and in a way your husband will least be expecting. No matter what happens between now and Tuesday make sure you keep the appointment with your Attorney as he will be able to guide you as to how to best look after yourself financially. Your husband is freezing you out here and he apparenttly doesn't give a rat's behind about how you feel. Don't know what his plans are but I think it is best you retaliate before he strikes let the Attorney worry about how he gets paid he/she will work that out don't worry.

Thankk you I sincerely wish you all the best. Try to let it go mentally for the weekend now, worrying isn't going to change it. Just get through the weekend the best you can.

Then there will be no money for him to give to her by way of settlement if she goes this way.

CC's picture

}:) I did about 35 minutes ago. He's so clueless-he won't know until next week sometime. I know FOR SURE when he finds out...he's going to be sick to the stomach and ANGRY. Furthermore, I'm the sole administrator-complete control-he can't even get into email, work orders ect...nothing. In the early morning I'll just go to my sister's house for the rest of the weekend.

Be careful about sabotaging the business by pulling down websites or anything else till you talk to your Attorney it's only a few days to wait, so hang in there you don't want to do anything to damage yourself or your credibility now.

CC's picture

OMG! :jawdrop: You're right! I host through GoDaddy so I can go back into admin and get in back up within the hour~

LONGTIME SM's picture

Why didnt you bill him for the website development and all of the other work you have performed. Why has all of your work gone uncompensated. Who actually owns the business on paper, whose money was used to start the business? Why do you not have access to any accounts that you would only have 40$ when he is not there. How would you even buy groceries on a normal basis. This inequity seems to have been going on for while. As an accountant you could probably earn between $30-50 hour. Charge him for anything you do from now on if you decide to stay. By the way how long have you been married?

CC's picture

You're absolutely right. I know better and I'm not inept. I thought we were in it "together" and I didn't treat it as a working professional relationship because we are married and had been in a long term relationship for over a decade. One of the biggest mistakes women make is mixing love, duty and money.

Yes, it's embarrassing-I DO NOT HAVE access to the business or his personal bank account. Not on signature or a card. We've been legally married for just about 2 years. Initial equipment was purchased through a Vet program. After that he and I have contributed. On paper, the company is an LLC. He is officer. Before that technically the business (unregistered) was considered a sole proprietorship. We changed the status officially after we got married and the "money account" came about a little over a year later. In total we've been together between 13-14 years. Before the "big" account it was a struggle-getting a new business off the ground. It wasn't until this last account (and the issuance of the first large payment) that his attitude really manifested, the kids came asking and our situation went from "us" to "his" and I apparently became a non-factor. July-present...the last 6 months.

When we shop-we're usually together. He pays. Groceries-whatever. I own my home (before we were married or got together) so there's no mortgage. Basically, for the last 6 months I haven't had any cash to call my own. I know....

This of course, in combination with the kids, is why this thing with the bank card and everything else came to a head.

Get back and get the website back up hon. Talk to your Attorney given the information you have provided above I think you will be fine. But don't do anything rash or the penalty for it will fall on you. Right now he looks like a real prince and all the sympathy is with you, if this finishes up in a court and you have done something to destroy his business and take away his income, you might just look as though you asked to be treated like this. I KNOW THAT IS NOT TRUE, but you know lawyers and I am sure you know these things often do not turn out pretty, and don't forget he has the two ugly stepdaughters in his ear, do it the right way and all will be well.

Now that being said, I would love you to rip apart his website and destroy his business, force him to pay all the costs of setting up a new one etc., BUT DON'T that is not in YOUR best interests. All the best.

CC's picture

The site is back up and running. This morning I changed all of the administrative passwords on my home computer after organizing some computer files to inject into my online cloud. Shortly, I'm heading to my sister's and will be able to sort through a bunch of paper work. He left this morning after a he rehashed the conversation from last night. I just let him leave and didn't alert him to anything. He's satisfied because he believes he's "spoken" and that's the end of it. I know he believes without a present job there's not much else I can do except be quiet and go with the flow.

CC's picture

I'm glad your friend is in a better situation now. I know what was made after everything went into that business account I've been pretty much in the dark about exact expenditures. I know he has a stock account as well. Since it's year-end I don't know what he was planning on doing about taxes and who he would have gotten around that with me, but who knows. The truth-I am scared-mostly because the economy is horrible, I'm older (but a wise poster here lifted my spirits about that), and I haven't been in the "workforce" since this business started other than doing what was necessary to help it start rolling. But, it's a blessing that I have a home and won't be on the streets or forced to live with someone else until some type of employment comes along). I worked on my resume some last night and plan on getting some stuff in the pipeline today through the Internet. It'll work out! Thanks!

CC's picture

I'm going to do what I can. The business started in 2005-2006. List of projects will be easy to compile. He can't do anything-except ask for ideals from me, ask for help, ask me to do...and I did (what I was capable of doing legitimately). The website was and is major- alot of work goes into that, but the letter writing, coming up with marketing/advertising, invoicing, taxes, ect..,even helping during the early stages with writing the business plan, doing projections and aiding him with the feasibility study...there's been so much! But, out of his own mouth and this morning. That means NOTHING. It's his business. He started it. I "helped" here and there, but I didn't go out and actually get in the sun and work. He said, "Your contribution isn't worth what you think it is. This is why I don't need a wife. Women want to sit back (without a job) and look for men to take care of them. And you'd better never say anything about what I do for my kids as long as this household isn't missing anything. If you want money-get out there and make it besides being a lazy bitch."

Yeah, he said that this morning. Very unapologetic about it. It's not an exact quote, but you get the point. So, here I sit-without a job (just like he said) wondering which way to go and what to do.

CC's picture

I agree. I just can't believe I put myself in this situation. I don't know-I feel like I'm in the movie, "Waiting to Exhale". He REALLY believes he can and will do whatever he wants for his "girls" as he calls them-no matter their age or need. And I have absolutely nothing to say or do with it. I still don't know exactly what he and the older one have going on-he took a bunch of papers and stored them in one of his trucks (of which I have the keys to not one) and left. There's so much secrecy going on. I did ask him if it's a matter of not contributing why is it that they aren't required or asked to contribute to there own needs. He said, they don't have to because they're his and I'm a grown ass woman that isn't doing anything for him-except being an "anchor around his throat" who's not bring any "cash to the table". He also said, had he not received the big lead through the website something would have popped at some other time.

Really?

This same account-when it did come through-he made every excuse in the world not to do it because he was intimidated. I had to threaten to leave him and give him the initial cash (savings from a previous part-time telemarketing job) to organize his crew and get some other things he needed to initially do the job. After the job was completed-he gave me back my money. About $750.00, of which I used toward tuition fees. The 50Gs he made-he did absolutely what he wanted and was angry at me when I needed help with the remainder of my tuition. He also had purchased a tablet for me-of which this morning-he threw in my face-calling me a "begger without a job". Since this time he's also worked twice more with them netting just about 4000 and he got another job with a government military branch (where I helped write up the bid (something else I help with) and did the billing for) where he made just under $4000. So, since JULY that's about 58000G. He mentioned home repairs. This is true (to be honest) but the total cost on those (which came from those monies) cost MIGHT have been 7000. Do the math. The rest of that money he did (or is doing) absolutely what he wanted to do. I can't factor in regular households-because costs are minimal (500-800) monthly because I don't have a mortgage-all vehicles are owned so there were are no installment payments and he has a SEPARATE monthly income that would have covered (did) anyway. So in other words, since July he's had sole access to over 62Gs. I have $13.76 on a paypal card and he had the nerve this morning to tell me-HE didn't want to be married.

The things that were flowing out of his mouth...all I could do was stand there-trying to fight back tears (didn't want him to relish in the pain I was (and am) feeling-and ask myself "is this really happening"?

And it is.

z3girl's picture

You will definitely get half of what the business is worth (not just profits!) if you were to divorce your DH. As much as you may like to hurt the business, it's not in your own best interest!

I went to an attorney about divorcing my DH early in our marriage when he cheated on me; at that time we were only married for 6 months. I had two different attorneys tell me that my DH could demand half of my share of my business' growth during the 6 months we were married. Even though I have no intention of divorcing my DH anytime soon (we have one infant son and are expecting another in a couple months) I try to downplay how well my business is doing. I know how lazy my DH can be (as proven during his first divorce) so he might not even care to question that asset of mine, even though it technically makes me worth a whole lot more than him! It's all about protecting me just in case. Terrible, but a necessity nowadays!

CC's picture

You're right. I'll see what advice the lawyer gives me on Tuesday. You definitely want to protect yourself and I wish I'd done a better job at protecting myself. I thinks its a good thing that the monies that have been flowing since July have been since we're been married. Resident state laws and the laws under the state in which we were married I believe will work to my advantage. I may even have rights to future earnings from the account.

It's a shame you can't just love a person and enjoy success.

CC's picture

Thanks Dorothy,

You know what makes him even worse than a knob-he's so smug and certain he has the upper hand. He's a d_ ck-weed!

alwayscivil's picture

I dont mean to offend you but have you ever worked? Breadwinners ( men and women) believe that as long ad they are providing for their spouse, they can spend their money anyway they want. I am in a second marriage and make a lot of money ( I am the mother) and I will spend money on my children from my first marriage and it is none of my husband's business. Seriously, most breadwinners feel this way. Good luck!

CC's picture

Sure I have...including in this business which is apparent. Had I not-he'd be as broke as he was before. I understand why you're in a second marriage. It's not a matter of spending money on children-it's about SO MUCH MORE-and no one is responsible for taking care of adult children for the rest of their lives. He's not the breadwinner. We won the bread.

I have a daughter. She's worked since she was 14 and supports herself and family. AND she's the same age as the oldest SD. Frankly, my DH is a _ick and his girls are spoiled deadbeats that aren't growing up anything soon. In the end, like he, they and you-good luck with that.

sandye21's picture

Good luck to you. This jerk does not deserve you. The others on this site have given you excellent advice but I have some more - do not tell him ANYTHING! Do not tell him you went to a lawyer. Do not threaten him with divorce or that you are getting 1/2 of everything. Keep him in the dark as much as possible. And when he threatens you, telling you that you will be broke, just smile or even fake a worried look. My ex made all sorts of demands while we were going through divorce proceedings. He said some really nasty things like your DH. Believe me - he wasn't so smug when it was all over. By the way, if you are not employed he may have to pay you a monthly allowance until you are.

CC's picture

Thanks so much for the advice-really good information. Tomorrow I'm meeting with one and mums the word. I'll have a much better understanding as to where I stand.

Kilgore SMom's picture

So many people posted I didn't read every thing. I may be repeating whats already been said. You need to make copies of every thing you can. Stuff about you financial to take to the attorney and stuff to help you start you owe business in the future. If you are able to get to bank statements last years tax returns. Contacts for the clients. All of it!!!!! Think like a detective. He'll regret his choice. When his little money grabbers suck him dry. If theres any left after your done.

lilsadone's picture

I know this is going to be hard. Here is a site I love -- they list work at home jobs every day https://www.facebook.com/Adventuresofworkingfromhome and they're all researched - so there aren't any scams, just legitimate jobs. You need to start bringing in your own money to squirrel away while you plan for leaving him. This man is a complete ass who is trying to control you because he thinks you don't have any way out.

alwaysanxious's picture

Please keep us posted on how things go. I hope you are doing ok. Stick with it!!!! Do not let him do this to you.