You are here

What advice would YOU give to an adult SK who has insecurities over their new SP and unresolved issues from the past?

Anon2009's picture

I have some good friends from childhood who also have stepparents. Most of them get along fine with their stepparents, and are leading happy, healthy lives.

However, I also have a few friends who are, for various reasons, bitter about their SPs and insecure about where they fit in in the lives of their parents. I'm having lunch with one of them today, and I know this subject will arise. They know about struggles I've had regarding my situation growing up, and those of our other friends who now get along with their SPs. To their credit, some of them have come to realize that they have issues, need help, and are coming to those of us whose stepfamily situations have improved greatly for advice.

This has been going on for some time. I've given advice such as, "perhaps you should seek counseling," "perhaps you could call up your SP and work it out with them" and "perhaps you should start exercising" as advice. However, I'm starting to run out of fresh ideas to give. Those who are in tough spots with their stepfamily situations say, "I know I shouldn't let my insecurities get the best of me, but we all have insecurities" and "I feel replaced in my parent's life by SP."

Could you please give me some advice on what to say to these people? I want to help them, but like I said, I'm running out of fresh material for answers. Thank you.

Not-the-mom's picture

The good old "standard answers" you have been giving sound good to me.

Why do you need "fresh" ones?

If the kids have issues with their stepparents, it is the responsibility of the kid (if they are older) to seek out counseling to deal with their personal issues.

In counseling, the kid can learn to determine what issues are theirs to deal with on their own, and what issues are the stepparents, and what issues are the parents (BM, and BD) to deal with between themselves, etc....

If you are tired of having the same stepkids come to you asking for advice over and over again, be honest with them and say you really don't feel comfortable being their counselor, and that you would much prefer they seek out professional advice.