You are here

USMC graduation

Kal42's picture

I'm new here, so I hope that I'm posting this in the right place. My ss (21) graduates boot camp next week. There is a BIG 2 day celebration for the event. The first day is "family day" where you spend the day with your recruit on base bowling, shopping, watching movies, golf, etc. Recruits go to the barracks at 6pm and you leave for the day coming back the following morning for the ceremony.
The ex wife is going, and my husbands parents hav offered to help him with his ticket to get there. We cannot afford for me to go :(. This means HIM going on what I feel is "vacation" with his ex and their son. It's making me sick to my stomach. Oh, and the reason we can't afford a ticket for me to is because we are still paying her $350 a month because she took him back to court for unpaid cs. I have 4 kids...And 2 ex's...and I could NoT imagine leaving dh here and doing something alone with my ex and our child it would just feel WRONG. What do you ladies think? Think I'm completely off my rocker for letting this eat at me?

hismineandours's picture

What is the additional cost of you going? Is your dh flying there? So does he really hang out with bm and ss for 2 days-like a little family? Is anyone else going? I dont really think this is a vacation-sounds like your dh is trying to be there for son's important day as is the bm too-just awkward that they do all those events together. Could dh and bm go separate times-like bm take the morning and dh the afternoon? What's their relationship like?

mom2five's picture

It's an emotional day. My son went through Basic a few years ago. He's now a junior in college and in ROTC. It was the best thing that ever happened to him. He'll graduate next year and receive a commission as a brand new 2 Lieutenant!

Your husband cannot miss this. It's huge! It's not a vacation. And the entire weekend will be all about the new graduates. His son will be exhausted mentally and physically, but completely psyched about graduation!

If there is any way in this world you can go, you should go! It's a wonderful experience! But regardless, your husband absolutely needs to be there!

Kal42's picture

Thanks ladies. I would not DARE stand in the way of his going. He was a marine also, so there's a LOT of pride there! He's flying because of time restraints. Tickets are $400 each....NO way for me to go even though I know that's probably the only solution. I don't think dividing the day would happen. Dh and the ex get along great despite the $ issues. No one else is going....just she and dh. Maybe I should just take a chill pill for a couple days and he can wake me up when it's over...hahahahaha (jj-I have 4 kids). I just keep making myself sick dreading the day he goes. Guess there's not much I can do about it though, huh? Oh, congrats mom2five on the success of your son!

Kal42's picture

Oh, I feel bad for YOU having to think about them being together like a family also! Can't you go? My dh asked me to go several times, but probably only did so because he knew I wouldn't want to spend the money and would decline! I thought having the skids older that we were out of the woods having to deal with the ex's, but in some instances, it's harder!