You are here

SD23 and her drama!

AllySkoo's picture

SD23 is getting married this summer and OH MY GOD the drama! I don't know why I'm surprised. She LOVES drama, and will create it if none currently exists. *sigh*

She just sent out the wedding invites (with, seriously, 3 misspellings and 4 grammatical errors! Although at least she spelled her own name right...) and on the invite is said "please RSVP by June 1". Fine. Only now she's calling DH's side of the family and asking them if they're coming and how many in the family will attend. She says she needs a headcount NOW. His mom called him all upset because SD23 was a bit rude about it, apparently saying, "Since you haven't responded yet, I called to ask. I need to know now." DH called to yell at SD and oh my god the drama that ensued! SD started bawling on the phone (I could hear her), saying her mom had promised to pay for the reception hall but now was backing out and so she had to come up with 5 grand in the next month and she's freaking out and how could her mom do this to her? (Yada yada yada. Yada.) I take all this with a grain of salt (hell, a BRICK of salt) because I know SD.

DH (of course) gets sucked in by the tears and says he'll try to help. HELL. NO. We are currently going into debt by freaking thousands of dollars, we DO NOT HAVE the money to help. Which both SD and DH know. But Daddy wants to come to the rescue.

So I talk to SD17 and ask what the deal is with her mom backing out of helping? SD17 says, "What are you talking about? Mom is still paying for that. In fact, SD23 told Mom and me that the reason she was freaking out is because Dad said no one on his side of the family is going to RSVP at all. Mom's pissed at him for upsetting SD23!"

AARGH! So YET AGAIN SD23 is playing one parent against the other. She's flat out LYING (to both of them) in an effort to make herself the center of attention and also see what she can get out of it. (This is not the first time she's done this. Hell, it's not even the thousandth!) WHY do her parents continue to buy into this bullshit when they KNOW she does this?!?!? I swear to god I could slap DH and BM both.

Do I have to go to the wedding???? (Kidding. Sort of. I'll go, and I'll put on a smile, but I'll probably be pissed the whole time.)

hereiam's picture

Do I have to go to the wedding????

I am asking myself this very question. My SD22 is supposedly getting married in August and I believe she is making a horrible mistake.

I guess I will go so DH doesn't end up in jail when BM starts her shit, but.....

As for money, ha, good luck with that. This is my SD's second marriage and my husband also believes she is making a mistake. He doesn't really want to go, either, but he will.

I am still hoping it won't happen.

Calypso1977's picture

i will never understand why people who think they are old enough and responsible enough to get married then think its other people's responsibility to pay for the wedding.

AllySkoo's picture

RIGHT?!?!?! She's put ZERO thought into how she'll pay for ANYTHING apparently. She was also complaining that she doesn't know how they're going to pay for wedding rings. My response was why the hell didn't she buy wedding rings instead of a brand new x-box a couple months ago?!?!

hereiam's picture

Me, either!

My SD is not very smart but I'm pretty sure she is smart enough to know that she's not getting a penny from us. Actually, she might try it anyway. I can already hear DH laughing.

Calypso1977's picture

oh my ex-sister in law was 31 and still expected her parents to pay. it made me sick! my ex-inlaws had medical issues, debt up to their eyeballs and could not afford her $25K wedding but they borrowed against pensions, etc. to do it for her. All while she and her husband to be pulled in nearly $250K a year!! :jawdrop:

AllySkoo's picture

This is EXACTLY what my DH is talking about doing - borrowing against his pension. I will kill him if he does, I swear to god... (Figuratively. Literally, I might not speak to him until the wedding is over...)

muscle mama's picture

If my BF's dd ever marries, he better not even THINK about borrowing against his retirement to pay for it. Hell he did borrow against it a few months ago to consolidate bills, & ended up "lending" (i.e., giving) his dd some money (which he tried to hide that fact). When I realized that there wasn't even enough left over to put a down payment on a hall for our own wedding, that really changed a lot of things for me w/this relationship.

thinkthrice's picture

If you HAVE to go to the wedding (love the "errors on the invitations" thing--SD's invites will be in "text talk" no doubt; providing she can snag a sucker as big as HER father) bring along MP3s with "dramatic" sound clips such as found here;

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/dramatic

string them in a loop and wear large dangling earrings to cover up the ear buds.

muscle mama's picture

Well, now I have a potential preview if my BF's daughter ever gets married. I suspect it will be this much drama as well.

AllySkoo's picture

It's weird. In some ways it actually did get easier when the skids became "adults" (oh yeah, those are sarcastic quotes!). We don't have them in the house EOWE, we can plan for US, they're not always up DH's butt. In other ways though, it got harder. Now when she pulls this "start a war between my parents" crap, it's actually a lot harder to get a handle on since DH and BM talk less (which makes it easier for SD to lie about what's going on). God I hate her crap! And god forbid you call her on it, she plays the victim soooooo well! (The last time she did something like this I called her on it, and she literally said to me "I don't understand why you're not considering my feelings!" Apparently I was supposed to consider the speshul wittle snowflakes FEELINGS before asking her why she'd lied to us!)

hereiam's picture

In some ways it actually did get easier when the skids became "adults"

It got a lot easier for us. For one thing, my husband refuses to talk to BM since SD got married at 18 and CS ended.

And even though SD is 22, she is about as emotionally mature as a 12 year old, but she is an adult, she has made her own choices and we are not responsible for her or those choices. Yes, my husband worries about her (as any parent would worry about a 12 year old out in the world) but I refuse to lose sleep over it. Or money.