You are here

The Mooch

AllySkoo's picture

This may be the ONE thing where DH can make me a bit nuts.

SD23 and her fiance and SD20 and GSS1 came over this weekend. (DH was actually paying SD23 to mow the lawn, since he's been working 60+ hours a week this summer. SD20 came along to "get out of the house", since she doesn't work.) OF COURSE they stayed until we invited them for dinner. Lol I actually expected that, and was OK with it.

SD20 has a bad habit though of asking to have things. It's weird, she'll just sort of wander around the house and ask, "Oh, I like that lamp, can I have it?" And now that she has a baby, she asks for things for him, and it's making me mental! (We have twins about a year older than her son.)

Can I have one of the cribs? Um, no, they kind of sleep in them.
Can I have your pack -n- play? Nope, still using that too.
Can I have that pair of pants I gave your son for his birthday last year? Um, if I can find them and still have them....

GAH! So this weekend she asked if she could have the couch in our playroom (NO), and one of the high chairs. DH actually did give her the high chair, I think to shut her up! (To be fair, it's a traveling high chair that we barely used. But I could have sold it at a consignment store!)

SO. Tired. Of. The. Mooching!!! *sigh* Just needed to vent....

toywas's picture

I feel the only mooching I get is when the golden eggs come for dinner, drinks, TV, and entertainment! Then throughout the hours that they're here, all I hear is "DH you never bought mom that?" or "mom doesn't have the money to buy that!" GAG!

All of the golden eggs are working - if your mama wants it so bad then BUY IT FOR HER!

I use to buy toys for all the SGDs to play with; not anymore! I buy toys for MY grandson and NOBODY touches them!!

I HATE MOOCHES!

sandye21's picture

My SD used to do that. Never paid for a thing. Treated us to lunch only once when she thought the prices were cheaper then went ballistic when she found out they used the dinner menu on Sundays. LOL

I'd tell her, "I'll think about it" and leave her dangling forever.

AllySkoo's picture

Lol We just grill hamburgers and hot dogs when all the kids come, at least in the summer. When we had the girls EOWE (when they were younger) I used to cook more fancy meals, but things have changed and we do "cheap". Smile That said, I will still cook more fancy meals for occasions (birthdays and holidays), but not just because they show up expecting to be fed!

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

What gall! That is about all I can say. What does she think your home is, a department store that gives things away? Honestly!

Just keep saying no, maybe she will get the idea.

AllySkoo's picture

Well... sort of. I mentioned she doesn't work, and she has a not-quite-one year old? She lives with the baby's father, and he supports all 3 of them. She feels that her job is to stay home with her son. Baby Daddy feels that she should earn her own money and help contribute though, so while he pays for things for his son (and pays all the household bills), he doesn't give SD any money of her own. The upshot is that she is clothed, fed, and sheltered (as is her baby), but she has zero ability to buy anything just because she *wants* to. Unless of course she can convince US to give her things. (DH flatly refuses to give her money, but he can be worn down enough to give his grandson things. Since he doesn't go overboard, I'm OK with that, at least as it stands right now.)

AllySkoo's picture

Actually, they both have a lot of family who are perfectly willing and able to watch the baby while she's at work. BM has even offered, and Baby Daddy is fine with it. And SD does, in fact, have various family members watch the baby on an almost daily basis so she can "have a break". The issue is that SD doesn't want to work. Like, at all. Lol Apparently, "staying home with the baby" also means she doesn't cook, clean, do laundry... she's making Baby Daddy slightly nuts. (He probably should have thought about that before having unprotected sex.) The only thing he can do about it though is just not give her an "allowance". Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be enough motivation for her to get off her butt....

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

So she isn't married to baby daddy? Hmm, is she getting any kind of welfare, WIC, etc? Housing allowance? She isn't as bad off as she is making you think. Of course if the money is going elsewhere than where it was intended, well, what can you do? What you should do? Nothing. She and the boyfriend had the baby, not you.

joan mary's picture

I would try some reverse psychology on the lazy bum. Make it a point to pick out an item of clothing, a purse, jewelry, anything that she happens to have with her and ask for it. Do it a lot. If it not nailed down, ask her for it to the point that she is insulted. Even if she is a total idiot she should get the point.

hereiam's picture

What is wrong with people? Once I moved out, I never expected to take anything out of my dad's house again.

I mean, I don't remember my parents ever specifically saying to me, "Hey, you don't ask people for their things," yet somehow, for some reason, I grew up knowing that was rude.

As soon as DH and I bought new living room furniture, SD was laying claim to it. "Oh, I'll take that when you buy new furniture the next time." Like hell you will.

When I got my newer car, she kept talking about it. I know what she really wanted to know, was if she could have my old one. Nope.

I told her, "If you work hard, budget your money and save, you too can have nice things."