You are here

Potential Step Daughter

Molly697's picture

Hello,

This is my first post on the website and I wondered if anyone could give me help or advice? I have been dating a man for about a year and we have just become engaged. He has a daughter aged 22 who sadly lost her mother at the beginning of the year and it has been so very difficult for her. I offered my help, or a friendly ear if ever she needed anyone to talk to, wrote a couple of cards to her and have tried to do my best when asked to help. She seems to have an issue with me in general, even before her mother passed away. She came for a couple of days between Christmas and New Year, I found it strange that she kept putting her arms around her father, kissing him and when I gave him his stocking/gifts to open she kept interrupting and talking over us. I know it is attention seeking and to be honest I think it is not me personally I think it would be any woman. I visited them at the beginning of January and they began arguing about something and I just said to stop shouting, I am not used to people shouting at one another and she told me "to leave the room, I wish to speak to my father". My fiancee said nothing.

Since then, it is just lots of little things but they are becoming bigger. She talks about her mother, her parents were divorced in 2004. It is nice she talks about her, I encourage her to do so. But then there are comments like, why is "she" sitting in mum's chair? Then, speaking to her father, mum did this, mum did that, mum would do it like this etc etc. To top it all, we only see one another at weekends, recently we have only seen one another once very two weeks as he has organised tihngs to do with his daughter. Now we were planning a holiday, our first holiday, but he is talking about going with his daughter, also away for a week and that would mean of course, more time, more money etc, so each time our trip is being delayed by 3/4/5 days. I suggested not bothering with the trip and him just going on holiday with his daughter it would be easier! Finally, I was getting a drink from the fridge at his house and took a carton of juice - I was told to use something else as his daughter liked that, so I poured the juice in a glass and put it back in the fridge and took another kind. Could not take a certain type of apple, his daughter liked that. Small things I know, but they are beginning to niggle. Everytime we meet, whether it is at his house, outside in company, wherever, she never comes to say hello, I always have to make the first move. She walked past me the other day when I visited my fiancees house and did not even say hello. Went to an event and a friend of my fiancees spoke to him, he then of course, introduced his daughter and they carried on the conversation. I was not even introduced or included - I walked off and went to find a drink - it was better that way. What bothers me the most, is how is it going to be if we get married and she lives with us? He treats her like she is 12 not 22. I have a daughter, aged 23 and a son aged 21 so I know about children, raising them, hopefully with manners and consideration for other people. I know she is grieving for her mother, but she is so cold - sat talking about her mother's estate, money etc 3 days after she had died, saying she was having her mother's car, house, discussing the amount of money in bank accounts that would be hers, it made me shudder. Videos of the funeral???

I have tried to cut off. I don't give my opinion anymore, only once and my fiancee repeated every word to her - so I learnt my lesson. Not that it mattered as I stood my ground, it wasn't any personal comment it was regarding her course at University. I have read some of the posts on this site and I am getting scared. I love my fiancee very much and would like to be happy but I have this awful feeling this is not going to get any better is it? I just know I do not want to spend the rest of my life being unhappy, miserable and treading on eggshells whenever she is around. Thanks for reading, any thoughts, advice would be appreciated, I am not sleeping very well, worrying about how to handle this difficult situation.

hereiam's picture

Nope, probably not going to get any better. I certainly wouldn't marry him if she is going to be living with the two of you. And even if she doesn't, as you have probably read on here, it can be just as difficult.

One big problem is your fiancee. He babies her, he lets her disrespect you, and he repeats your conversations with her. Is he willing to make some changes?

Molly697's picture

Thank you for your advice as you all rightly say it is not going to get better is it - I know that, hence the sleepless nights and worry. The sad part about all this, is it is such a shame as we get along so well together when we are on our own. My two children think he is great, we have a good, open relationship and I asked them directly if they had any issues or problems with our being together, engaged and possibly married. They just both are so happy for us, sent us an engagement card and congratulations and were genuinely delighted.

Needless to say from potential SD, no congratulations, no card, no comment. The question is, do I stick it out, be brave and take issue with anything I am not happy with. Definitely don't get married until this situation either improves or BF makes some changes as hereiam points out. I did take issue with the "leave the room" comment and also the fact of not introducing me at the event. I will talk again to BF, or at least try and make headway explain how unhappy this is making me. To be without him will make me very unhappy, but to marry him and live in that kind of environment I know would make me even more unhappy. An engagement I can walk away from - a marriage, not so easy.

Thank you all again for your thoughts, advice and guidance. It helps to talk things through.

Reprise08's picture

It will not get any better. If you can live with and be happy with always taking a back seat to his DD then go for it. My DH was widowed, not divorced which brings a whole other set of issues to the mix. It sounds like you have a combination here - the issues of a daughter of divorced parents who harbored hopes that they would get back together someday and a daughter who has lost her mother and is afraid she is losing her dad, too. It most likely isn't personal; she'd treat any woman this way. She needs to remind her dad that they have a perfectly good family and it doesn't need the addition of another woman. I've been told by both SDs that I will never be family and the oldest has insisted we display at least one picture of "their" family in our home. My marriage works because my DH is very clear that I am his priority and his daughters don't get a vote in his life. Without that, I doubt we'd be together because it is just too much drama and discord. You are right, it is easier to talk away from an engagement than dissolve a marriage. Listen to your heart AND your head and do what's best for you.

TASHA1983's picture

Serious question for you..........Why would you EVER even want to or even consider marrying a "man" that treats his daughter like she is more like his partner/so and BETTER then he treats you???

Latisem's picture

I agree with Reprise08. There are a lot of issues. I wouldn't go forward with moving in until the 22 year old has moved on. I would talk with him about not introducing, thats cold.
She is 22 not a small child. You can talk with her. She doesn't have to like you. You don't need her approval or to be her mom. Your fiance however does feel the need of her approval since her mom is dead.
I would bring over juice and apples. You like the same thing. Two things in common.
At 22 she is delibrate and KNOWS exactly what she is doing. She is trying to get under your skin. The more you let her know she is getting under your skin the happier she will be. Your reactions as an adult will MAKE all the difference.
The only good thing you have going for you is she is an adult and won't be there for another 10-18 years! Biggrin

Molly697's picture

Thanks again. You are all just saying what I know is quite true, sadly I will always play "second fiddle" as they say. The last thing I want is to be her mother - that is not possible, she had a mother and unfortunately she died. When she lost her mother I sent a card, wrote to her I hope nice, comforting words which I know can never alter anything, but could perhaps give comfort. A friend I could be, but never her mother. She quite evidently disklikes me, puts on a front when BF is around, well apart from occasional comments. Told him she likes me - don't think so - I am learning to keep my mouth shut and also not to rise, or make any change in my manner. He waits on her at dinner, she just walks in, sits down and eats, does occasionally wash a plate but nothing else in the place even though she lives there whilst she is home from University. I am not in competition - but feel as though I am entering the lion's den each time I am with BF and she is around. Treading on eggshells. I once left, BF had promised to meet me at 2pm, SD turned up in the afternoon , we did not meet until 6pm. I just went home as listening to her bores me, sole conversation is about her, what she wants, what she needs, etc etc. Also I was mad, I was with my daughter and son, BF was supposed to meet us, he said he would come along and support my son running the London Marathon but of course, SD took priority.
Strangely, she only seems to have one girlfriend who she sees rarely from childhood school, no University friends, although a long term boyfriend. She asks my advice, talks to me about the boyfriend, chats about her mum sometimes. Her mum was going to get married had met someone last autumn, she asked to meet the BF and me for dinner with her fiancee so it would have been great to have met her, but the sad event of her death meant we never met. Interestingly, in the e-mail she put at the bottom NO CHILDREN invited, in capital letters. She meant the SD, it makes me wonder if SD was always first as far as BF was concerned even when married because that is a strange thing to put in an e-mail inviting someone to dinner.

Thank you for all your ideas. Taking my own apples and juice is a really good idea, also I know change has to happen, or nothing is ever going to move forward. It has just been so good to share my feelings honestly with you all. I feel as though I could be jealous, but I know it is not that. I think what hurts so much is the inconsideration, the dishonesty of it all. BF wants to marry me, but I know I come a poor second to his daughter and that is the fundamental issue - at least I am honest with myself - ha ha! It is whether I can live with that.

Molly697's picture

Thanks so much StepAside, that is it all - everything that happens.

Doesn't matter what I do or say nothing makes any difference which is why I have given up. I don't comment anymore, I don't join in any conversation unless specifically asked a question, I am distancing myself slowly from any contact with her. I avoid going to my fiancees house if she is going to be there, avoid any kind of social event where she is involved and I have no intention of pandering to her, don't do that with my own two children so will not be doing it with her. If I am asked my opinion on any aspect of potential SD's life, I just comment "you should talk to her about it". I have withdrawn.

This site is just so helpful, to share with others in the same situation or have been. Friends, family would not understand this unless they have been in this situation and no-one has. So glad I found it by a happy accident. Your message has helped enormously, I now know I am wasting my time - it will never, ever be a good relationship. I am the threat, my two children are also a threat, because she now has to share, something she has never had to do. I am not seeking her approval, I don't care whether she likes me or not - what I care about though is the damage she is causing. The relationship is suffering because of her and she knows it, as you rightly point out, it would be any relationship he has with a woman, not just me, that is why I refuse to take this personally, because it is not personal - she cannot stand the fact that she is not the centre of his world anymore.

The latest is for her to go on holiday with us. Our first holiday away and he wants her to come with us, she is 22 years old nearly 23. The thought of two weeks with her just sends me into shut down mode. I just responded saying "perhaps I will invite my two then"? Suggested he just take the holiday with her and forget the whole thing. The thing is, I know she will win, one way or another. Do I make things easy and back out of the holiday altogether? I can go with a girlfriend away for a week, at least that would be good fun, as opposed to spending two weeks with someone who really would love it if her father and I were no longer together. To be honest I am getting to the point where I walk away entirely as I cannot see how this will ever be resolved, because no matter what, potential DH will pander, carry, kill himself to make sure her little world is just as it should be.

Rant over - ha ha! I feel so much better letting all this out. Thank you for helping me.

Poodle's picture

I agree w SA. You are still at the stage of analysing her and appeasing her in order to win him over. That approach will not work. U have to forget her entirely - pleasing her and sorting her out is his problem wholly. U need to decide what baseline is tolerable for u in terms of respect from him, and deal with that first in a conversation then in therapy. If he had a colleague who treated u this way with him then supporting the coLleague, u would not find it acceptable. Why acceptable from the SD? Because she is playing the trump card of bereavement. Discard that. She would have done this anyway. Stop analysing her. Lay out your requirements, very politely and charmingly, and if he can't meet them then it's time for a trial separation. She need hardly be mentioned. His commitment to u is what is at stake.

Poodle's picture

Your holiday post came on just as I was posting. No, it's way too messy now to holiday with these people together. They will waste your time and money. Let them go and baste in their own vinegar whilst u go and have real fun w people who r not going to abuse u. Definitely don't vacation w either of them at this point I n time. Too much yet to b sorted out.

Molly697's picture

Hello Everyone,

Well, it is one year and a few months on.....I am now single and left my fiancée and his daughter to it! Things did not improve, got a whole lot worse really. Firstly, we went on holiday, just fiancée and I, was then told I had no right to go on holiday near to where her, her mother and father used to go. I responded that she was entitled to her opinion, but that was all it was, an opinion, nothing more.

Christmas, she decided she was going to a friend of the family, fiancée decided he would go too after saying we would be spending Christmas together. Easter, disaster, came to stay with BF, will not give you everything that was said but basically, she let rip, couldn't hold it in any longer - it was shameful the things she said. Fiancee just stood there and let her, BF joined in. Now, I am a sensible woman and realised I was outnumbered 3 to 1, so I let her vent. When she finally ran out of steam I just slowly said, OK you made your point. You can tell how bad it was, the BF had never met me before he came to stay, but he apologised for the behaviour, the "bad atmosphere", thanked me for all I done and the food etc. Fiancee more or less said he did not realise what was going on???? To cap it all, two weeks later I discover fiancée is on a dating website, oh yes, right.

Needless to say, he is now history, so is his daughter and I am feeling so much better. Have moved in to a little cottage, hoping all will be alright. Just joined a health club and about to try my hand at beginners golf. My family are just so relieved I am out of it. The strain and stress of being in that toxic relationship was far too much - it changes you as a person, you forget who you used to be, the type of person you used to be if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong it hurts to walk away, but slowly I will be alright, putting my faith in myself, my family and friends.

I just felt I needed to understand what happened and I think I do now. I always looked at the forum and felt better knowing I was not alone, thinking I could try other ways, trying to make headway with different approaches. It didn't work.

For all of you who helped me, advised and guided me, I never forgot what you said. To all of you who are having troubles I do hope things work out better for you than they did for me.

sandye21's picture

SD really didn't show her true colors until the night before the wedding although DH did - and this should have been justification for ending the relationship before we got married. I wish I had been as wise as you instead of having the unrealistic expectation that it would get better - it didn't until 20 years later when I put my foot down and found myself once again.

One good thing about this whole story is that you know what to look for immediately. If a man will not support you in the beginning of the realtionship it is a good sign it will not improve - he is not worth your time. I've learned through all of this that you do not need a man to define you as a happy, well adjusted human being. You are responsible for your happiness. You sound like a lovely person. Actually, things DID work out beter for you.

Molly697's picture

Thank you. I just decided not to settle as you rightly say, I decided my well being and happiness came first. Some of the posts on this website are so sad, it is all so pointless really as most of the people here would like a good relationship with their DH and his/her children. DH, fiancées, partners, cannot see the damage that is being done and unfortunately a lot of adult stepchildren, do the damage with vindictiveness and intentionally.

alieigh21's picture

I can certainly understand that when a child looses a parent they grieve. This should not become an excuse to allow bad behavior. My kids also lost their father (while we were still married).

Both of my kids had to grieve and sometimes acted out because of it. Sure there are issues with accepting my new husband, but it was never intentional disrespect.

I set the expectation with the kids from the beginning how I expected them to behave. I would never expect them to treat my new husband like a father, he isn't. I would expect them to treat him, just like every other adult, with respect. I also made it clear I was their mom and would be there for them and would not allow DH to mistreat or disrespect them in any way.

I'm also a step mom with a difficult SD, so I've lived both sides of this. She plays the little mind games to manipulate her dad and make me look like the bad guy. The potential SD behavior is far more typical of a daughter jealous of her dads new relationship than that of a girl who has lost her mother. Your fiance is just plain wrong. No matter how much he want's to make things work, he isn't going to change unless you demand it. If he isn't willing you should move on.