You are here

My adult stepdaughter keeps having kids and manipulating my wife into helping her take care of them

KG's picture

Hi, new here but I’m desperate. I need help with my wife who is an enabler to her daughter. When we met, she had a daughter 10 years old and I accepted this being adopted myself. We got married a few years after and as my sd got older she got more manipulative of her mother and defiant towards me. She showed signs of trouble at around 13 and it just got worse. She would hang out with the worst kids around and defended them as “her friends” fiercely even though I didn’t want them around. She and a “friend” decided to break into our house while we were on a long needed vacation and throw a party resulting in our house getting robbed at the age of 16. She was supposed to be staying at her dads. He’s another story but needless to say, no help there. More incidents than I can remember: pepper spraying kids in school, getting kicked out of school, had 2 restraining orders against her(and us) by other girls and parents for fighting with them, sneaking out, sleeping with older guys the list goes on, you get the jist. This was all while she was a kid... No matter what we tried, counseling, tough love, private schooling (she got kicked out for not following the dress code and blamed it on the teacher being a bitch). All the while, I was the mean one, and my wife was the saint. Every time I wanted to go to drastic measures like military school, she wouldn’t go for it and my stepdaughter kept manipulating her and wound up moving out at 18 because I had enough. I said me or her and it only lasted a year. For the next 12 or 13 years the disasters kept rolling in from her. She moved back in...with her baby @ 19 and I had to endure an abusive father that I almost went to prison trying to choke him out when she came home with a black eye. Next, she met a sailor off one of the Navy boats, and the stayed with us till I knew caked them out and they had another kid. He got fed up with her mouth(which by the way is very nasty when she doesn’t get her way). That was dissapointing because he was level headed and it looked like our troubles would be over for a while. She just nested in with him and just head tripped him while smoking pot in front of her 2 kids. That pissed me off her doing that with small kids around but supposedly it was none of my business. I should have called CPS but Noooo. Anyway, I figured she was cheating on him and that was that. He then got full custody of their daughter because she couldn’t pass a urine test.(by the way, my wife shelled out 3 grand for her lawyer against my wishes to get it pissed away). So, what does she do? She hooks up with I don’t know how many other dudes, we take in her son (first kid his dads in prison) for a year till she”gets on her feet”. She then decides to get pregnant again with another guy, has a daughter, and doesn’t get through 3 months with the baby before they’re in a fist fight (in front of the kids) and he goes to jail, and she’s in a battered woman’s shelter. OK, now this was 2 weeks ago, and she is coming to thanksgiving tomorrow. But I won’t tolerate her living with us anymore because of the disrespect. Smoking weed in my garage, people I don’t know at my house when I get home for work, cars pulling in my driveway in the middle of the night waking me up, yea there’s a history there. Oh and things missing, I gotta lock everything up, so no, she can’t live with me. Her mother on the other hand doesn’t want her grandchildren out on the streets so she’ll do antpyrhing for them blind to our needs. I came home from work today in a good mood that changed quick when she told me they we going to be kicked out of the shelter on Monday and I knew it was coming. I don’t want her living here, and Have a bag packed ready to go to a motel till I find a place of my own while my wife takes care of a 31 year old sociopath who doesn’t have a clue how to be an adult. If I let her stay with us, I will forever be paranoid about my belongings disappearing and people I don’t like in my house. If i continue to say no, my wife will be stressed out worrying about the grandkids, so I’m ready to sacrifice myself and just go get my own piece of mind but it’s a lot of work for an aging guy with aches and pains and I don’t want to move out of my own house. What do I do?

notsobad's picture

Let your wife be worried and stressed about the grandkids.
Let your wife figure out some way of helping her daughter that doesn't involve you, your home, or family finances.

Why would you leave? You haven't done anything wrong.

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

I agree with notsobad. Stop letting this girl take up so much space in your head. Disengage, ignore her existence, take your wife on a romantic trip.

Acratopotes's picture

oh damn...

make it clear this girl can't move in, she's old enough to have babies she's old enough to work and care for them, disengage and take your money out of it all, you only spend on your wife, on romantic trips etc...

KG's picture

Yea a romantic trip is the last thing on our minds right now. Every time something like this comes up, it’s like she gets hit with a brick. I love my wife dearly and don’t want to see her go through this. I can, and have fully disengaged, but I cannot get her to come to the sane side because she won’t abandon her grandchildren. I wonder if I can get her counseling but her motherly instincts are always going to be there and stressing on her. I don’t want to disengage from my wife. She tries to keep from telling me when all the carptastrophies because she knows it upsets me, but I always know when it happens because she acts like someone punched her in the stomach, and I don’t want t see her in anguish. I have some serious resentment here, and am trying to purge a parasite from her but it’s not working. Every time I am successful at disengaging BOTH OF US for a while, another baby pops up or something catastrauphic happens and she gets all stressed out thinking she needsto do something. Oh, and btw SD has no drivers lisence. Got too many no insurance tickets and other stuff they took her license, so she hustles her grandmother to give her rides everywhere. When I say tough shit take the bus, it goes on deaf ears. Taking my money, and stuff and moving out is a last resort, but I want to try and figure out how to help my wife because sh is a good person and I don’t want to abandon her.

notsobad's picture

You cannot change your wife.
You have tried to ease her burden and have only ended up resenting her.
You can not disengage BOTH of you. You can only control yourself.

You don't disengage from your wife, you simply ignore when she talks about or is upset about SD. Unless her entire life is SD, you will still have a relationship.
Yes, you will know what's bothering her but there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Yes, it's painful to watch someone you love in pain. That's why your wife keeps trying to help her daughter.

If your wife goes to counselling it may help her set boundaries or it may not. It is up to her to go and see what she can get out of it.
Some people only feel loved when they are being used, counselling could help her with that.
Just don't expect that a counsellor will automatically be on your side and tell your wife to do what you think is right.

Blue Moon's picture

If SD is that bad a mother, would it be an option to call children services and ask them to look into what she is doing, maybe she could get some professional help from a social worker, and that would make your wife feel better.

still learning's picture

This is a tough situation because young ones are involved and no grandmother wants to throw her granchildren out especially during the holidays. The first thing is that SD needs to get her tubes tied or blocked, if she's on medicaid this will likely be paid for. Next have her apply for any services that she's elgible for, section 8, subsidized housing, etc.

I would let her stay for a small window of time but only if certain conditions are met.

SD is applying for housing services, Catholic aid, Salvation Army assistance...anything she is elgible for.
She is enrolling in some for of job training, tech school...
NO DRUGS, NO FRIENDS OVER she can go to their homes and visit them.
Provide only the basics nothing extra. No spending money, no hair cuts, no movies.
SD has to be earning money somehow. She can donate plasma if she has no other skills.

Your wife needs to get that SD needs a hand up and some (better late than never) firm parenting.

Thumper's picture

I will be blunt.

This, none of this should surprise you. Your wife has allowed your adult step daughters actions to bloom and grow to this point.

You saw what was going on when she was a tween. A few years into the marriage things progressed poorly with her.
Now things are peeking with the grandkids in tow.

She has put up with her daughter and YOU have put up with the wife AND her daughter.

Nothing is going to change it only gets worse.

UNLESS you learn to say NO NOT in my home anymore.

bearcub25's picture

Sadly I know alot of grandparents raising their grandkids. My brother is one of them. Spoiled his SD like crazy, never tried tough love until now he is 64 and raising a 16yo, 11yo, and 7yo. The biogma helps some but he is the main one doing the work.

I'm sure your wife is in a hard spot....she doesn't want the grandkids on the street but she can't make her DD do the right thing.

Your best bet is to leave and try and get her to work on a long term plan, she may see raising her grandkids as her long term plan.

Good Luck.

KG's picture

We’ve already had our grandson for a year and think it might come to having him again. But I refuse to raise every baby that she pops out so she’s going to have to figure something t out. I’m not the father of those kids and I’m not going to get into being the sole provider because they’ll just want more. Thousands of dollars in clothes and shit for those kids constantly irritates me the parents who had the kids need to provide or give them up. I’m tired of it all really. Every one of the kids wants to come visit on a weekend, it always involves one of us driving hours to pick up and drop off because loser parents without lisence. There is some serious resentment here. It just pisses me off when I think about it. Trying to invest in retirement and while my wife is willing to play the role of Oprah on Beloved. Whenever someone asks me about my family life I always respond it a constant Jerry Springer show. It’s embarrasing