You are here

Living with adult children

Amariea's picture

Hello all. I am new to the group. I just need to vent a little. I moved into my husband and step childrens home 3 years ago. We all get along good. The adult children both have jobs and own their own vehicles. My problem is that it just feels like I am living here like its not mine and my husbands home. Both ASC have serious relationships. My ASC boyfriend pretty much lives with us besides his clothes and showering at his moms house. His lunches are made here and she cooks our dinner. She does most of the grocery shopping for dinners and we chip in. Which I appreciate but am also irratated by if that makes sense. My ASC girlfriend spends the night once a week. My husband and I got a dog and his daughter picked his vet, sets the appointments and tells dad when to take him. She picked out our new Christmas tree for next year while out clearance shopping. My husband and I are planning on painting the house. He told the ASC he will pay for the paint if they want to paint their rooms. They do not pay rent. One is paying off student loans. The other is paying off credit cards. I pay rent. How do I tell him I would like to have a home of our own. The children are 27 and 24.

Harry's picture

Moving in to a home where SK are living in.   What did you expect?  This is your problem to solve.  As your problem is not everyone else's problem.
One way to solve it is to go halves with DH and buy another home.  Telling SK they have leave, not invited into new home. 

That way you can paint it decorated it the way you both want.

thinker's picture

I don't see any other viable solution than for you to leave, either with your DH where you go halves (or agree to equitably share) a new home with no guest room, or on your own.  But, I dislike roommates and your mileage may vary. 

still learning's picture

Harry's right, you moved into an established colony and expected to be Queen.  Instead, you're relegated to basically living in a hostel with his kids and subsidizing their living expenses so they can pay off bills. Doesn't seem fair, but I'm assuming you knew the situation you were moving into.   

Winterglow's picture

I sincerely hope you aren't paying more than 25% of rent, utilities, groceries, etc. 

Have you told him how you feel about this? That you'd rather have a love nest with the man in your life than have three roommates... That you got all of that out of your system when you were a student? 

caninelover's picture

You really should have discussed this prior to moving in.  Your DH doesn't seem to mind his kids living there and if he's offering to paint their rooms they don't plan on leaving.

You will have to have a heart-to-heart with your DH about you needing more ownership of the home.  The decisions about the hoome and decorations should be between husband and wife. The kids are old enough - if they don't like the new arrangement they are free to move out.

Or as Harry says talk to DH about a new home between just the two of you.  

I wouldn't want to live in a home with two adult kids making all the choices.  Even picking the vet for our dog...ridiculous.

Amariea's picture

He doesnt want to buy a different house. I am paying half the house payment for rent which isnt much honestly. I dont spend much for groceries. 

caninelover's picture

half the house payment should entitle you to more say in the house than other adults who pay no rent, don't you think?

Amariea's picture

No not at this time. SDaughter is paying off college loans. SSon is paying off credit card debt. SSon does help with water bill. Husband pays my phone bill. We all buy our own food except we chip in for dinner groceries

MissTexas's picture

lifestyle. Get their own place, move out and pay THEIR bills? People have been doing it that way for a long time. It promotes responsibility.

Some people take 20 years to pay off various debts. 

Do you see yourself doing this for that long?

Truth be known, it has already become a pattern with them as a "family." If you try to make the change, or get them to move out, or get your SO to get a place with  just the two of you, then you will be the bad guy who broke up their happy family.

Tess's picture

My situation is one with a 29 year old stepson, living at home and not paying rent.  Sooooo frustrating.  We are a blended family of 4 children/adults.  The other 2 older stepchildren have moved out.   We've lived together for 8 years.  Stepson was going to college when we first moved in together.  Then he dropped out and just found a local job.  He isn't going anywhere and doesn't contribute to the household in anyway.  I just want to say I understand your frustration.  I am going to try to find a counselor I can speak to so I can get my frustration out with a impartial third party and see if there is anything I can do to improve the situation.  There's also always marriage counseling to discuss your and your husbands feelings.  Just a thought and where I'm at at this point.  Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to a group we can air our feelings.

Tess

Rags's picture

Burning platform!

Time to light the burning platform that forces them to launch.  Chore lists, loooonnnnnngggggggg and miserable chore lists.  Rent................. uncomfortably high rents......................  PW protect the WiFi and only activate in when  you want to use it.

Conceptually I have no problem with multigenerational homes.  In fact, it is likely what my DW and I will do with my parents at some point. But... it has to be equitable and not a burden or invasive to the Sr. couple in the mix.  In a blended family marriage where the parent brings a new mate into a multigenerational home the odds of success are probably slim and none at best.

Stepdrama2020's picture

The woman of the house is your SD. You are the bed warmer that has to earn your keep, not a wife.

You pay rent, but they dont. That sayz it all girl. You are not on equal ground. Somehow you paying rent "allows" you to be there but for the adult skids its a given that its their home.  It isnt a bad thing you do your share BUT then this needs to apply to ALL adults in the home.

Best case your skids leave. Otherwise do you see any longevity in this marriage?

tog redux's picture

I think you should talk to him about what the plan is - is he allowing them to stay there to pay off debt, and then does he expect them to move out on their own? Since you did move in without really discussing it, it doesn't seem reasonable for you to just start kicking them out.

I too hope you aren't paying more than your fair share.

Amariea's picture

No I dont think he plans on telling them to leave. 

I feel like I will be the one leaving

Rags's picture

So.................... cut to the chase.

Kaylee's picture

Yeah, I had this dilemma with ex. 

I didn't move in in the end, but at one stage we were discussing it. However, I could not reconcile with the fact that his adult daughter was (still is) living there rent free, parking in the internal access garage, and not lifting a finger around the place.

I said that if I did move in, I would pay a third share of the bills, and because I would be contributing financially, would expect to have her parking space in the garage.

But I just couldn't have lived there, with her. It would have done my head in.

OP, as other posters have said, your BF is treating you like a paying flatmate with benefits.

His kids aren't going anywhere.

Move on...

MissTexas's picture

kids.

The message is crystal clear. He's choosing (& it is HIS CHOICE. and you agreed to it) charging you rent, while they live expense free so they can pay off debt. Let that sink in for a minute or two, then ask yourself, is this the life you can see yourself living until "dead?" The longer it's permitted to happen, the more set in their ways everyone will become. Once roles and routines are established, it is very difficult to justify or champion change.

Do you need to live cheaply? Why did you agree to this arrangement?

I agree. If kids were there first, with no prior agreement to you moving in, you have little authority to facilitate change, as they will say, "You knew this before you moved in." What argument do you have in your defense? None. And should you propose change, there are 3 people who will adamantly oppose you. If you think your "man" will stand beside you in getting them to move out, you're sadly mistaken, as these "men" (& I use the terms loosely) will always choose their "kids."

You are the low woman on their totem pole. Work, bring home your "fair share" of the rent, and get up and do it all over again.

No thank you.

Merry's picture

Your boyfriend doesn't want to move to a new house. Well, goody for him. What do YOU want? Or does he just get to make that unilaterial decision despite your unhappiness? Or, does he not anticipate a long-term relationship with you, so he figures why get an "ours" house? Or, is he just lazy?

Paying off debts (college loans, credit cards, mortgages, car loans, etc.) is a normal part of adult life. I could see an adult child living back at home for a short time and with a plan to launch, but this ongoing lack of a plan would send me out the door pretty quickly, especially if my needs and wants weren't any part of the equation. 

Wilhelm's picture

I would at least be splitting the rent amount and other bills by the number of adults in the house. If DH wants to pay for all of his lot fair enough.

Amariea's picture

The only thing I pay in the household is half the house payment which is extremely low. My husband pays everything else. He pays my phone bill. The SC pay their own phone bills. My SS pays half the water bill.

shellpell's picture

That's not the whole point, though. You should not be living with three capable adults who are being enabled by their father to the detriment of your marriage or your mental health.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I have in laws who lived this communal lifestyle in FIL's house. He kept refinancing it to stay afloat while subsidizing his adult female offspring, and died nearly flat broke as a result. Never remarried, never even had a gf because what female would put up with that?

You made a mistake by moving into your bf's home while his preexisting parasitic arrangement with his adult kids still existed. In doing so, you 1) tacitly agreed to the dynamic, and 2) gave up all your leverage to effect change.

Hopefully you've been able to save quite a bit, because you have two choices: stay and be unhappy, or move out. If you leave, you can still date him. But keep in mind, this guy isn't really looking for someone to build a life with. He already has what he wants, and just wants a female for sex. You have to look out for your own interests.

Hadenough34's picture

I understand what you’re going through. You’re married & your husband should give the stepadults a timeframe like 6 months at the most to move out. Time to go out & make it in the world.  At 24 & 27, it’s time for them to go.  You & your husband should be left there to enjoy your married life without having to put up with the stepadults still living in the house.  

Good luck to you & hang in there.