You are here

I've been reading several articles about Evolution Phenomenon

MissTexas's picture

and learned there are actually at least seven useless body parts and there is  something referred to as "relaxed selection" which meanse essentially the less something is used the less functional it becomes. ("Use it or lose it" in other words)

"Rapid Trait Loss" happens with a reltively simple genetic change occurs.

A stickle back fish was placed in non-predatory waters and the bony plates used to help it defend itself disappeared.

Some of the quotes I read were: 

"All traits will eventually disappear if they have no function." "If the trait is energetically expensive to maintained it will be phased out more quickly." And there are several others I will not bore the readers with.

Bear with me, as what came to mind was these "balless wonder daaaaddeees." Do you suppose that since they are not using them or finding them they've just dissolved off their bodies? LOL  When I imagined that, thoughts of the traveling carnivals where people paid to see the likes of bearded ladies and other freakish entities came to my mind's eye. I wonder if the "Balless Wonder" would attract many? "Step right up! See the Balless Wonder!" 

Just having a little lighthearted fun this evening!

Disclaimer:To be clear I do not believe in Darwinism, or The Theory of Evolution. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Lol! Along with testicles, it seems like brains are becoming vestigial organs too for a lot of people. At least the thinking part. 

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

Ooh I will have a read. I forget there is actually stuff out there to read. 

Slightly unrelated but still related to animals, 

try reading about sex change in tropical fish, or penguins pushing each other into the water to test for predators. 

still learning's picture

Evolutionarily men are programmed to spread their seed among as many fit partners as possible so their genes will be successful.  Even if men are *snipped* their brains are still telling them to find more females to impregnate.  Thus so many serial monogamists with numerous baby mamas. Men are also programmed to protect their young but that is only for a specific amount of time until the offspring is able to survive on their own.  In steplife skids growth is often stunted and men/parents feel they need to protect their poor babies indefinitely. Rather than building their own nest, fledgling stays in the parents nest and lives off their resources indefinitely. New time and resource sucking partner is seen as a threat to the young fledgling (aka 30+ yr old skid) and often the partnership dissolves and they move onto someone new.  

I think the trait that disappears in many of these situations is independance.  The birds will never learn how to fly or live on their own, rather they become parasitical and the parent will die early because the life is literally being sucked out of them.  

I absolutely believe in Darwinism and the Theory of Evolution.  One of my favorite college classes was Evolutional Biology. It illuminated my understanding of the behavior driving those around me.  

As for balls, they're a simple system and very weak compared to female sex organs.  I really hate when people say something like she has, "Lady Balls." Like it's a compliment. B*tch Please... 

Movingonisbest's picture

Still learning your statement above says alot "I think the trait that disappears in many of these situations is independance.  The birds will never learn how to fly or live on their own, rather they become parasitical and the parent will die early because the life is literally being sucked out of them."  I  could see this happening with my ex. His adult kids hound him for money, oh and when this corona virus crisis hit, they came out of the woodworks even more looking for handouts. I thought it was despicable. It was definitely taking a toll on him.

CLove's picture

So, does evolutionary biology explain all these Toxic Trolls out there that leech off the baby daddy, thinking that they forever own him?

Rags's picture

I think the theory is credible. As for evolution, you just clearly referenced a proven example of it with the stickle backed fish.  That is an example of rapid evolution.

Any species will adapt to the environment where it lives and will specialize for that environment. Take humans.  Over countless thousands of years we evolved specific traits for the environments we have lived in. Europeans have longer noses to warm cold air that we breadthed during multiple ice ages, etc.....

SteppedOut's picture

My oldest only had three wisdom teeth. The oral surgeon said more and more is seeing people with less than 4, or they don't "full form".

He believes that humans are evolving and within a handful of generations will no longer have them. 

OP's theory does have merit! Seemingly, lack of testicular fortitude and/or the complete loss of one's balls happens more quickly than the human race evolving away from wisdom teeth. 

Rags's picture

I love it.

And I agree with the rapidly declining presence of balls.