You are here

I need strength...just venting

sammigirl's picture

I have come so very far with my total disengagement in the past 7 years; there are days when I feel I have completely fallen off the wagon; today is one of those rare days.

Before I begin venting here are some truth and facts. I stay with my DH because we have invested 36 years of hard work and are comfortable financially, not rich, but comfortable. I have had a career all my life and feel I have earned the right to some peace in my retirement years. My DH has been disabled for 30+ years and I have kept my career and taken care and loved him thru it all. I do not want to start all over and have a rough day here and there, because "I" decided to disengage from my SD56. DH has been good about accepting the disengagement and is trying for the most part. Now the vent.

SD56 lives less than a block away and tries every way she can to make our marriage miserable, with the help from DH. They want their "family time" and I understand that, especially with my disengagement. But is like they are enjoying having a blow up and drama at least once a month. This month, June, has been hell and SD56 just keeps pouring on the fuel, thru DH, no matter how much I ignore her. SD56 is not allowed at my home, while I'm here, only when I'm away. I do not interfere with her and DH's time.

Today I found out that DH is taking our camper and going camping with SS58, DIL, SD56, and SIL over the July 4th weekend. DH told me SIL was coming to pick him and the camper up and they would be gone 3 days, to have family time. Now this has been planned for over two weeks and I just found out this morning. I know! This is what happens with disengagement; but I am furious and trying very hard to let it go.

I am having a difficult time with this "family time" trip over a holiday and I am left home alone. I know! This is what happens with disengagement on my part.

Am I wrong to think that DH could have at least discussed it with me and not just dropped it on me? Or am I wrong in thinking this is not in line with disengagement?

Thanks for the vent. I'm sure it's just another nail in the coffin and it will pass; but I am also distrust my DH and SD and I know they planned this with the purpose of showing me they don't care what I think.
!
So goes "my part in disengagement". I know!

cm3missingit's picture

Are you disengaged from your dh or from your skids? Because it sounds more like from dh. After 36 years of marriage you two should be finishing eachother's thoughts before they are even said, not finding out about a trip he is going on in 3 days that has been planned for two weeks. How does he know you don't have plans for the two of you.

I think its perfectly fine to be disengaged from skids, but you still have to have the communication with your dh.

Please note, I'm a newlywed of just over a year, things are still all rainbows and glitter for us.

sammigirl's picture

I am disengaged from my SD56; DH is disengaged from me, because I am disengaged from his Princess; DH goes behind my back and makes all kinds of plans and then drops it on me; DH doesn't communicate. We used to have a honeymoon marriage and did have for 25 years; then SD and SIL moved to the same town and it went down hill from there. SD is very jealous of our life and has caused nothing but heartache; that's why I'm disengaged from her.

Again, with disengagement comes a big change in your marriage and relationship; there are many times I wished I had not disengaged and just put up with it; but I am so very tired.

I hope you marriage will always be all rainbows and glitter; it is much more fun. Keep up the good work of keeping the communications lines open; but remember it always takes two for success and two for failure.

I know I'm to blame also, but I also know I'm not totally to blame.

Smiles....

Stepped in what momma's picture

This would totally hurt my feelings too but if it was me I would start planning a relaxing weekend right away and don't give the two of them head space anymore.

Go do something that you would never typically do just to change it up a bit because if you don't want to leave you have to figure out how to stay.

notsobad's picture

I'm wondering what type of disability DH has? Who is going to care for him this weekend?
With you doing it all these years, I'm sure you have a system. Maybe this weekend it will be clear to DH just how much you do for him and how much he needs you.

It sounds like he's being very childish and trying to teach you a lesson. Do what the others have suggested and treat yourself this weekend.

hereiam's picture

No, you are not wrong in thinking that this should have been discussed with you before now. I can't imagine anybody I know ditching their spouse on a holiday to spend it with their grown ass daughter. Unless it was an incredibly unhappy marriage.

I do understand why you stay with your husband, but personally, I think he's an ass.

sandye21's picture

^^^THIS!!^^^ Is he and SD possibly trying to get a rise out of you? He could have had the decency to give you more advanced warning. Like the others suggested, go out and do something very special for yourself. If my DH did that, when he got home he would be witness to a scene that looked like I had been partying. I would tell him I didn't expect him home so soon. Even purchase a few 'interesting' items to 'accidentally' leave around the house. If he says anything tell him he's over-reacting. Just kidding - I think he's an ass too. Maybe it's time for him to have another extended 'visit' at SD's house.

sammigirl's picture

Yes on all areas here, sandye21. I just wish KARMA would visit; I am worn out from it all.

Amcc13's picture

I agree with heaven like
This man has a disability you care for him and have stayed for a long time
And he has put his children above you
I know you are unhappy to start over but your very unhappy and disrespected by the sound of things now

notasm3's picture

Why don't you change the locks while he is gone and then not be at home when he wants to come back. }:) }:) }:)

He deserves a kick in that disabled ass.

sammigirl's picture

I had them changed when I booted him to the curb 1 year ago; might have to take these measurers again; but I am so tired of fighting; so it's better for my health to let it go and keep my own boundaries. Thank you for your support.

Geewhiz's picture

Goodness yes he should have discussed it with you. He should have asked you how you wish dot spend the holiday, and then only if you did not want to do anything should he have broached the possibility of the trip. His move was cowardly, and I suspect it was because he knew his behavior was wrong.

sammigirl's picture

I ask him why he didn't discuss it; his answer "I assumed you didn't have any plans". I give up! I really do! His head is in the sand!

GottaLaugh's picture

I suspect the SD would have advised him not to say anything earlier and he is obviously weak. His behaviour is wrong, we all know he should have discussed it with you.

Since he hasn't you have a couple of days to play their game. I would personally be on the phone to a couple of friends or family members who know your situation and would play along with having a conversation within ear shot of DH of course , about things to do over the weekend he is away. Throw in some out of town trip ideas, don't hold back lol. When he asks what are you doing this weekend, which he will do if he has heard the conversation, just fob him off with oh nothing definite right now...something along those lines.

Definitely take the time he is away to enjoy yourself, even if it's time alone, spa, movie, dinner out or takeaway at home, but enjoy the peace.

I too understand why you stay, but you must try to not let their games affect you. Concentrate on yourself and do what makes you happy. I don't know what your interests are but it's a good place to start if you want to join some clubs , gardening clubs, book clubs , senior clubs where they do regular outings and go to events, join them and go have fun without DH and SD, you deserve it.

sammigirl's picture

I have lots of hobbies; garden, yard, flowers, reading, crafts, sewing, cooking, and quilting. I am very busy and most of the time I stay out of DH's sight.

Now that I've vented on here, I can hardly wait for him to leave for a few days.

Icansorelate's picture

So, you are DH's caregiver? time to really disengage from him. If he is capable of making plans for a getaway for a holiday weekend, he is capable of taking care of himself. Stop caring for him, cooking for him whatever it is you do for him,

He is now your roomate. Nothing more and nothing less.

I also agree, make fabulous plans for this weekend, and next weekend and the one after that.

Completly disengage. Live your own life, together but seperate.

I am sorry, he is an a$$.

LONGTIME SM's picture

I agree with icansorelate Sammigirl. If your DH is not so disabled that he can go camping for an extended weekend without his caregiver and without the conveniences of home ( in the event that your home is designed or equipped to handle his disability) then you definitely should back off on whatever care taking and assistance you were providing as he's unceremoniously shown you that he does not need or respect all you do for him. His total disregard of you in not consulting with you before making plans for himself regardless of what they are or who they are with is in my opinion indefensible in any marraige.

I just have one additional question. Do you and your DH jointly own the camper that your DH is planning to use to entertain his adult babies? I would be furious to know that he made plans to use my property to entertain his adult babies and excluded me from using my own property. If he is no longer able to use the camper by himself I'd look into selling it as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to use it again anyway after SD was in it.

Definitely make fabulous plans for the last part of the weekend making sure that you don't return for several days after he does. Based upon his explanation to you you do not need to answer to him about this trip or anything you chose to do in the future. If he's using your camper make sure you charge part of your expenses to him. Consider it rent for his using your half of the camper without asking you.

sammigirl's picture

Yes, the camper is jointly owned; everything we own is joint. SD and SIL have their own camper, they won't be staying in our camper; SIL is just towing it for DH, because DH shouldn't be towing it. I have said nothing, except I took my camping BVD's out and anything personal. I didn't put anything in it in the way of food or drinks for DH; DH put in a six pack of beer and two jugs of Gatorade, no food. What a hoot!

I did note to DH, when he dumped this on me, that the camper was jointly owned and he should have at least consulted me. I have been trying to get him to sell it; that is another long story, but he refuses, even though we haven't used it in over a year. We had a beautiful boat, he insisted on selling it and we did; now he won't even consider selling the camper.

The fact that he is going with his kids is not the problem; the problem was when he blind sided me and undermined me behind my back with SD and SIL, and just left me sitting home for the holiday weekend.

I haven't said anything and there are a great deal of things I will be cutting back on in the chore area. I insisted he mow (riding mower) before he leaves. I plan to have a nice weekend and can't wait for them to get gone tomorrow.

Thank you for your support.

catsmom01's picture

I think he should have asked you first if you'd be OK with it.

Enjoy your alone time. He'll be having a miserable time with his battle-axe daughter.

Would your dh consider relocating?

sammigirl's picture

I tried discussing with him relocation; I even looked at homes and had a couple picked out to travel to see. He wouldn't even acknowledge I was talking to him about it. I've tried everything in the book to get him to understand that I don't mind him spending time with his kids; in fact it gives me a break. But he used passive aggressive tactics and blind sides me all the time with SD; it's a game I'm sure they enjoy.

I don't react, I just vent here, because I've decided to stay and he'll just have to live with the consequences of treating me with no respect. By the way, I don't care what he says to SD behind my back, he's going to say it anyway, so why fight the aggression. He is an A$$ for sure; but his health issues and age are pay back enough for him.

Kinder1's picture

One up them and go away on your own without telling him. Do not be home when he returns and come back a day or two later. He will freak out. sorry for your heartache.

sammigirl's picture

This I will probably do; I asked him what day he was going to be home, because I wanted to line out a dog sitter, from across the street (neighbors). I thought his jaw was going to hit the floor. I also asked him to please mow the large lawn that we have, before he leaves, so I didn't have to worry about it while he was away (he has a rider mower). He mowed part of it and said he would get the remainder tomorrow. I never ask him to mow or trim, I usually do it, because I enjoy being outdoors so much.

I'm very serious about setting some new boundaries. I'm going to cut my chores 1/2. If they don't get done, too bad. The cooking is going to be very slim and the same ole' same ole'; I never cook the same, I'm always creating a new dish.

The more I try, the worse he treats me, with his age as well as his addiction to the Political TV circus. His age is definitely showing; I do believe this is part of why he clings to SD; he realizes his mortality. There is 11 years difference in our age. His cup is always 1/2 empty and mine is always 1/2 full, no matter how old I get, or how badly I ache.

sammigirl's picture

Thanks for listening; it's been a difficult day, but sure it will be better tomorrow.

notsobad's picture

You should tell him you've thought about it and are happy he's going to spend sometime with family and that they are all going away.
Then put on a great big smile, sing a tune under your breath and go on with your day.
Let him wonder what you're so happy about. If he and SD want to talk about you, give them something to speculate on!

Rags's picture

Response to DH: Sorry, you need to tell me earlier if you are going to take the RV. I have plans and will be taking the RV (THAT I PAY FOR!!!!!) for the weekend. You are welcome to join me but I am using the RV whether you join me or not."

End of problem. Disengagement does not mean zero communication. If anything your disengagement puts the onus of communication firmly on DH. He needs to keep his wife abreast of all information that will have impact on his wife and her life. PERIOD!!!!

Of course this goes both ways but for this instance... take the RV and have fun on your own. Leave DH and his toxic AARP aged spawn to figure it out for themselves.

Happy 4th!!!!

2Tired4Drama's picture

Sammi, as you well know, your problems are much bigger than this instance.

Fundamentally you are in a loveless marriage. While you may have had many years of marital bliss, your DH has shown you where his primary affection and loyalty is NOW. It's not you! You can disengage from SD all you want, but your DH isn't disengaging from her nor will he - he's disengaged from you.

I know this is a vent post on your part and we can all sympathize with how hurtful this kind of behavior is. But. The only person in control of your life is you. You are clearly unhappy with your life. I also understand it's a very scary prospect to think of what you might face without the same level of financial security you currently have.

I have one hypothetical question for you: How much is your life worth? Seriously. Put a dollar amount on it.

Imagine you were being held hostage - and the demand was that in order to let you go unharmed, you had to give up your current lifestyle and your marriage to DH. If you did not, you would be immediately shot. What would your answer be?

I know what mine would be if I were in your situation. I'd rather have a week of freedom than the remainder of my life in indentured servitude.

None of us knows how long we will be on this earth. The hypothetical "shot" could easily be you having a stroke or heart attack and then all bets are off. I am doubtful your DH would give YOU the same care that you give him. Not sure if you have biokids of your own or not but if it were solely up to your DH, I think he'd dump you the first available place he could find.

Is your life only worth the financial benefits you get from staying in a loveless marriage with a man who has obviously disconnected from you and sees you as nothing more than his live-in maid and caregiver? You have my sincere sympathy if you think that's all you are worth.

enuf's picture

I am so sorry. When my ss48 moved two minutes from us, it is what put the nail in the coffin for our marriage. All of a sudden dh had to be his ds best hangout buddy. He was gone about 5 days a week hanging out with his ds because his ds is a jerk and no one can stand him and as a result has no friends. Our marriage ended and my ex is still his hang out buddy and his ds calls him all day long. I also tried disengaging but my dh wanted his ds to think that everyone loved him and insisted that I participate in activities with his ds even though he was extremely rude to me.

I know exactly what you are going through. My best advice is just to ignore the two of them. Instead of feeling badly of your dh rudeness. Rub the situation in their face by saying "you are so glad they are going off. You really need some alone time and time to catch up with dear friends." Mention one of your dh's best place to go and say that you will be going there with so and so. Also, if at all possible plan to be away a day longer than what your dh is intending to be away. It will stink for him to come back to an empty house. Once you know he is home, call him and tell him that you are having such a good time that you have decided to stay a day longer, even if you have to rent a motel room and be all by yourself. When you get home, say nothing of what you did, other than to say that you had such a wonderful time, that maybe the next holiday that comes your dh can go camping again with his dd. Better yet, offer to make the camping reservation for him way in advance. Tell him that it will guaranteed and it will allow you to make better plans for your time alone.

It irks me to no end that these adult babies are being doted on continuously. Show your dh that you can have a great time without him.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Sammi, your DH is an inconsiderate jerk. And that's the nicest thing I can say.

You say you're 'comfortable financially'. Well, start browsing and find somewhere to take a mini vacation for the holiday weekend. It's not too late. Return a day or two after the jerk. You could have a friend check the house daily for mail, to water the plants, etc.

Labor Day weekend is 9 weeks away. PLAN NOW. Take a trip with friends, take a trip by yourself. TAKE THE CAMPER. It doesn't matter if you park that camper somewhere and pay for it to sit there and mold.

If you plan to stay with your DH, you may want to consider that, from here on out, you will be on your own on every holiday. Lady, I don't know how you do it. {{{{HUGS}}}}

sammigirl's picture

Thank all of you for your advice and believe me it is well accepted.

We'll see how his weekend goes, but my guess is he may even cancel before tomorrow. It is difficult for him to get up during the night to go to the restroom (almost impossible to walk). The camping, as you are aware, is not convenient; even though our camper is fully self contained. I'm hoping they continue with their plans.

DH and I had a talk last night and he now wants me to pack and go with them. I explained that he has already made plans to spend the weekend with his DD and family and DS and family; they do not want me there and I do not want to be there. I told him to go ahead and enjoy the weekend with them and I would relax and probably get a sitter for my dogs (Doxie's), and go to spend the weekend in the neighboring State, with a friend. I also explained to him, not telling me the plans was the problem, not the fact they were all going.

He invited me to go, after I said I would probably spend the weekend visiting my friend. I am not going to do drama over this, but I will do what I please and not tell him anything about my weekend; I will not ask him about his weekend either. I am mostly disengaged from DH too in regards to SD, therefore, it won't cause any further discussion. My point to my DH is that we should communicate and set plans well in advance, so that everyone has an input; thus decisions are not made for other people involved. My DH, and his grown kids, are very controlling people; the problem develops when SD makes all the plans and then everyone else is expected to adjust their schedules and calendars. It has been a major problem in the past; then DH just goes along with SD's plans.

I made my point of the inconsiderate way DH handled this and he agreed he would not do it in the future. Yea right! There was a post here that mentioned SD advising DH; I know SD planned the weekend and purposely set this up to be drama. So they can sit around the camp fire and gossip all they wish, without me. That doesn't bother me any more and has not for a long time. I am not the only subject in their conversation; any family member not in attendance is torn apart; just part of their gathering, every time.

Again, thank all of you for your input. I'll probably update the outcome of this well planned weekend. LOL... I appreciate your concern for my "marriage" and I understand all your comments and for your information, you all are on track. I know, I'm the only one that can set it straight. I have come a long way in the past 7 years and intend to continue to move forward; only with your help of course.

Have a great July 4th!!!!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Sammi, if you don't use that camper and YOU have no plans to use it in the future, tell your DH he needs to buy you out.

I'm very sad for you living in this type of relationship, but happy that you are going to move forward with your own life and plans. Sounds like you need to make this an even more distant relationship - more like 2 roommates who are responsible for their own lives and own care and simply share some living space.

I hope you DO go visit your friend. For some reason, I think your H (I'm not adding the D...) will pout if he stays home and make things not-so-pleasant for you. Go enjoy yourself!!

sammigirl's picture

Aniki; guaranteed if H stays home; I'm out of here; he can sit with the Doxies, less arrangement on my part. He has been told this. H is good to watch the dogs when I have to go to the neighboring State to care for my Father (just had his 100th BD last weekend).

I don't intend for him to rule my weekend now.

Thanks for your support; we do live somewhat like roommates and always have for 36 years, even with H being disabled, I do my own thing. H has never complained about my social life or hobbies and I'm grateful for that. He is independent thinking and that works in my favor most of the time.

Our problem stemmed from my disengagement from SD56 and H wanted us to stay a "Brady Bunch". H and SD were going behind my back for 13 years and I found out about 1 1/2 year ago, thru a nasty email SD sent me; SD threw DH under the bus. I took action thru Law Enforcement and set some boundaries for myself. I have them set straight; the main boundary being SD stay away from me and I stay away from her. With all that said, H seems to think that means continuing his secrecy; thus SD is furious because I refuse to engage with her. SD and H would pick right back up with the gossip and games they played for 13 years, if I go back to what they would like. This is NOT going to happen, I just want to move forward.

I have explained to H that I want to move forward and he can spend as much time with his kids that he wants. All I ask is that we communicate on the plans, so neither he nor myself are left unaware.

The major hurdle now is H accepting the disengagement. He was doing fairly well, until they pulled this stunt this past couple of days; which I believe was SD's drama again, purposely. I just had to set it all straight again and of course I needed to vent, because I thought we were making progress. I hate having to stay on my toes and I believe H could help by communicating more with me, in regards to keeping SD out of our marriage. H seems to enjoy having the drama, after there has been a period of peace. I hate the confrontation and I've told H, I love the peace we have. Just wish we could relocate or SIL would retire and they would move to where their children live.

Thanks "again" for your support!!!!

sandye21's picture

Sammi, I am glad you communicated to DH how utterly rude and disrespectful his latest actions have been. Perhaps keep the camper in case he needs a place to live while staying in SD's driveway - should this situation ever happen again.

Also glad you are going somewhere else to visit.

Have to say though, I would insist he go with SD and family. Let THEM deal with his handicap for even one weekend, and I will guarantee they will be thinking twice before inviting him for another camp-out.

sammigirl's picture

They are off tomorrow; hope it's early in the day. DH is wondering what my plans are for sure; but he won't ask, just being nice to me, hoping I will tell him; heck I don't even know yet. Lol...

sammigirl's picture

Yes

still learning's picture

"DH and I had a talk last night and he now wants me to pack and go with them."

DH pulled a crap move on you and after thinking about it of course he wants you there; who else but you is going to get up in the middle of the night to help him pee? I hope you have a wonderful enjoyable weekend off doing what you love.

sammigirl's picture

Yes, this. They all have a rude awaking and I will be relaxing.

I now believe that DH was thinking, I would want to come along, as this is the first time I've NOT gone camping with him. When I said "no", he tried to talk me into joining him. His thinking (I'm guessing) was, maybe SD56 and I would begin to mend our differences. NOT, no way, because it will just be back to where it was before; there are too many years gone by (30+), with this behavior, and too much water under the bridge.

I've been working on total disengagement from SD56 for (7) seven years and just this past year, I set the boundary to stay away from her and she is to stay away from me; this is how difficult it became, just in the past year; SD stepped up the drama and aggression, until I had to set this boundary to put a lid on it.

My boundaries are to never look back and move forward with everything, especially SD56. I reminded DH what my goals are, last night. He didn't say a word, but knows I mean to stick to it; therefore, DH has been very agreeable today and did not mention me joining this weekend.

Thank you for your support.

sammigirl's picture

:? He sleeps, therefore, forgives and forgets; and I like this about him. But I have a difficult time forgetting/forgiving 30+ years of mistreatment, when I tried to keep a "Brady Bunch" family. So it all goes over his head; mostly because he sticks his head in the sand where SD56 is concerned.

I'm looking forward to them driving off tomorrow!

Stepdrama11's picture

Hi Sammi, I too can really relate to what has happened. The secrecy that our DHs maintain about their DKs is truly disheartening. I really admire your ability to discuss with DH exactly what the issue with his behavior is, and your ability to stay clear-headed in the face of it all. Hopefully you will have a wonderful time this weekend, and he will drop the secrecy, at least for a while.

sammigirl's picture

Maybe for the weekend anyway. I try to stay on top of the next drama scene, but there are times I'm caught off guard. I am to the point of fast recovery. I'm sorry you have to deal with this also. It's not fun.

peacemaker's picture

Why do they keep having "blow ups" once a month? Why did dh put this together? is it because he needs "family time", or is it because he is trying to manipulate and control you, using his daughter and the time he spends with her as a source of contention just to stir you up? He knew damn well he should have told you sooner...He is just baiting you to engage with him by trying to piss you off. I bet he doesn't even really want to go at all.

It is a head game sammigirl. He is using himself as a trophy/and a form of punishment by playing you against his daughter. As long as he can keep you engaged and offended about his time together with her, he has your attention (even though it is negative) it is attention none the less...(just like a 2 year old). He knows your buttons after 35 years of marriage, and he know she is one of them. He is just using her to get at you. That is why they are having such consistent blow ups...they really do not enjoy each other...His daughter is just using her time with him to piss you off, and as a venue to cross as many boundaries as she can to show you who is in control...

Let them have each other. They will implode. My dh does this same head game. Until I took back the space in my own head. He would do anything to piss me off to get me engage with him Attention seeking behaviors...

If it were me, i would think of what do I really enjoy doing, that I either never have, or rarely get to do. Then, I would find someone else to enjoy that activity with and have a wonderful holiday. Unfortunately for dh and ad56, they will be stuck with each other for the entire weekend. He doesn't want to live in a camper all weekend anymore than she wants to take care of him. Let them have what they pretend they are striving for. Time with each other. then watch it blow up...because it will. When they see they have lost you for an audience to their stupid head games, they will be stuck with each other. You, on the other hand will be taking control of your life and enjoying what makes you happy instead of focusing on them. I would not be available for any of them to contact you in any way. I would disappear without discussing it with dh at all. I would get someone to take care of the dogs and go do something you have always wanted to do. preferably with a friend..

Your dh is just using his daughter because he has triangulated the marriage relationship to include her as a source of sustaining power over you...since you no longer responded to him at one time, and called him out when he threatened to go and live with her...He found out then, that that is not what he really wanted. So, now he is punishing you by constantly using her to reproach you, instead of communicating through the issues with you like an adult.

Unfortunately, he is giving his daughter a sense of entitlement and power that crosses your marital lines, giving her the false sense of security that she is so important in his life, when, in fact, he is just using her...

i hope you can see through this and you have the best fourth of july ever!...celebrating your freedom from this unhealthy co-dependent relationship. While you are disengaged in one sense, he still has control over the space in your head and he is playing you to feed his own narcissistic supply of having two women fight over spending time with him. Because time with him defines who he loves best. His ego gets stroked while he pretends to be the victim in the middle...Happy Fourth!...Peace.

sammigirl's picture

peacemaker; I could not have worded it better. There have been several occasions DH has tried this tactic; although, he thought this one would work, because I absolutely love to go camping. Oh, yes, I've known now for a number of years, this is a head game. I don't take it personal, because SD and DH play this game with other family members, which has cost a great deal of heartache and family division. I just move forward and take care of me.

I didn't react, I just said "No" and explained that "as long as SD was present, I would not be, you know that is exactly where I stand". He doesn't want to go, I can tell the way he is acting this morning; they will be leaving sometime today; hope it's soon. Mostly, I haven't said a word about my weekend plans (heck, I don't even know yet), so it is making DH think about what I will be doing for the weekend; which I will never tell him, no matter what I do.

As far as being unavailable, I always unplug our land line when he goes to see his kids; he has his cell phone. Spending time with his kids this weekend will be good, because they don't have the conveniences like home; DH is used to me being there to wait on him, cook for him, and make him comfortable on these trips; actually it is good for all of them and I will get a nice peaceful break.

Your post nailed it and I appreciate reading the "true facts". Thank You!

sandye21's picture

Sammi, I just LOVE how you are handling this. I have to laugh. They really misjudged your intelligence, didn't they? You called their bluff and now DH and SD are stuck with the consequences of wanting you to feel left out. I think DH asked you to go along when the thought suddenly occurred to him that he will be depending on SD to take car of his 'special' needs - something you have done without complaint. You KNOW that taking care of DH is not going to be easy for SD. Something she's not used to.

And then, on top of that, by taking special time for yourself, you have shown them that manipulation by alienation failed for them. Good for you!!!

I have learned SOOO much from you!!!! You should write a survival guide for SMs.

sammigirl's picture

sandey21; you make it sound like I am so, so brave. It takes every brave bone in my body to stand up to DH, because I know he is very unhappy with my disengagement from his DD. Sometimes I feel I could just drop the disengagement, and it would be better; with that said, I know it wouldn't be better, I would just return to the 30+ years of nasty behavior that SD gave to me. I have accomplished somewhat ending the bad behavior, by not being around her.

When I disengaged, I knew I would be spending time alone and not included. I'm hoping this part will get easier. I have chosen this way of handling SD, so therefore, I must carry the load that comes with it.

I know my DH very well. DH asked me to go along with him, hoping to mend all the fences with himself, SD, and myself. For years I always gave in and tried to mend and keep the peace. I just cannot do it any longer. DH was very sad when he left this morning and not knowing what I would be doing for the holiday weekend. I know he wants me with him and it hurts me to see the sadness on his face; but DH and SD created the problem and now there are consequences for everyone, including me. I tried sucking it up and everything else, before disengaging.

We all need to just get past the consequences and move forward. I don't even try to explain it to DH, he denies the betrayal. DH actually told me he didn't feel he betrayed me to SD, when he would gossip about our private life to her. DH feels, because she is his DD, it's not betrayal.

My DH will never take any blame, nor will he blame SD. I am to blame in his mind, so it is what it is.

Thank you for your confidence in me; but I think I am the one in survival mode; I know I am. I could not survive without all of you here on this site. I am too old to start all over and I don't want to start all over. I only ask that my SD and DH let me have peace in my retirement years.

We will get there; this weekend is just another consequence that I must deal with, by choosing disengagement. I am good and appreciate you; everyone here gives me such great support and advice.

Smiles Smile Smile Smile

sammigirl's picture

Sally; thank you for your support. I'm not sure what I will be doing for the weekend, but it will not be let known to DH. He can have the Camper, it is a great deal of work to take it anywhere. Heck, if I go, it will be in a cool nice relaxing place and eat out. None of this "do it yourself" that comes along with the camper. }:)

Have a great July 4th.