You are here

Graduation Photos

pinkb's picture

Pictures of graduation pasted all over FB... the education I largely paid for and was forbidden from attending (I would have politely declined) where my sister-in-law (who unfriended me a year or so back because I had held a bunch of her hoarding in my basement 'just-for-a-few-weeks' and I asked her to collect her things) was invited to the graduation of the education I paid for.

And, posting pictures of the "family" with my husband and his ex-wife.

I'm not sure I want to be married anymore.

MadHatter's picture

Well, I have left my husband in the past for issues  concerning SD, but I wouldn't leave him for this.

Now, I'm just going off the assumption that this is a knee-jerk emotional reaction to seeing your hubby having an enjoyable evening without you in pictures and not pictures of him getting it on in the closet with his ex-wife. *shok* Your husband was obviously there to support his son's achievement, regardless of who paid to help him reach that goal, and he should've been. 

I think, and I've definitely been there, that this is related, in no small part, to only being partially disengaged from your SS. It's obvious, from your previous post, that you have resentment toward each other, yet you continue to have expectations of one another. He expects you to continue forking over the money, and you expect to get an invitation to the event that would've never been possible if you hadn't been forking over the money. 

My suggestion is that you fully disengage. It removes expectations completely,  and will keep YOUR money in YOUR pocket. Disengagement isn't always an easy road because DH is going to still see his child, do things with his child, talk to his child on the phone, attend milestones and parties for his child,  and you won't be there to enjoy it with him because you are disengaged. Disengagement creates a lot of lonely nights and days, at first, until you get over the resentment and anger that DH left you and is having a fabulous time without you. Then,  you begin to realize all the wonderful opportunities you have to enjoy life, on your own, without DH and that not being subjected to the stress of those situations is divine!

Since your SS has extended an olive branch in the form of the letter you previously posted,  you might consider taking him up on the offer and arrange for a mediator if you're interested in attempting a reconciliation. You should also bear in mind that this attempted reconciliation might only be a money grab on his part so that you can fund the next graduation he spoke about. 

Whatever you decide, best of luck. 

pinkb's picture

It mostly has to do with the fact that when my husband and I got together (10 years ago) he was broke and sleeping on his ex-wife's couch (they were LONG divorced and I had nothing to do with that). I put a roof over my husband's head and his son's while his Mother drank, did drugs, and got food stamps on my tax dollars.

I also made more financial contribution to his education than anyone.  Well, I guess "anyone" == my DH and me. Because his Mother never contributed a penny.

Purposefully excluded from this event but I certainly have no problem (rather I encourage it!) my husband going out and having a grand time.  HAD I been invited I would have politely declined.

Mommy dearest got an invite. As she should have. It's the lack of acknowledgement compounded by the nose rubbing he's doing on social media.

Whatever. His ex- has been *engaged* like 9x in the last 10y. 

I've got the rock, crazy food-stamp-sucking loony toon. Except, I'm no sure I want it anymore.

ldvilen's picture

The short of it is: Let the vipers lie in the viper's den, while you are at the spa or daydreaming or wherever you'd rather be. Vipers have no problem lying in wait with their own, and then once anything foreign comes across their path, they strike. 

You don't need to explain anything to vipers nor seek out their opinion. Like most vipers, they lack empathy. Just recognize them for what they are and avoid them. Your DH has long since learned how to deal with them or sneak around them. If he isn't going to carry you across the viper den, then the problem is his alone to bear. He knows how to take their strikes; you don't. Don't feel jealous at all about the graduation/ viper party. Like most vipers, for days they'll just be striking at others and showing their fangs all the live long day, and at the same time, going on and on about how much fun they are having (maybe?, but no one else is!!). You are MUCH better off at the spa or being home alone reading or painting your toe nails or whatever vs. being at that "event."

pinkb's picture

Just when I think things can't get more "over the top"... he's texting graduation pictures to MY BEST FRIEND. Not family friend, barely his friend at all via acquaintence... MY BEST FRIEND.

On what planet is that appropriate?

StepUltimate's picture

Painful situation, even more so knowing it's a sick game where BM & SS actually enjoy being sh*tty and aim to hurt you. Nobody deserves that, especially not a step mom who provided the means for that education. 

Hopefully knowing you have an anonymous online group of sympathizers who understand, who listen, and who encourage you, helps you get through this. We care, and we also understand what it's like to be on the receiving end of the needless insanity or behaviors, lies, and insults we did not teach & cannot control. Hope it's helping you to write it out.

pinkb's picture

Thanks, Stepultimate... yes, it is helping. 

I feel like a total psycho right now. I'm not even the jealous type at all. But, I also feel like my SS is playing my husband like a fiddle. And, that he's giggling in the corner... "look what I made my Dad do?" Hahahaha...

I tricked that crazy bitch into spending tens of thousands of dollars on me and then I told her to F* herself. Hahahaha.

This whole thing is horrifling.

sandye21's picture

Pink, It would be easy for me to say just ignore it but you have been screwed over big time by a nacissistic little jerk.  It is hard to believe that your DH stood by while SS told you to 'f' yourself - and sent that diatribe about how horrible you made his life.  The way your DH has handled all of this would be a deal breaker for me.  You need to do more than ignore and disengage.  You need to do something very, very special for yourself.

DH should be able to visit with SS but he must know he is to re-prioritize his marriage or there will be consequences.  No more BS.  You mentioned that you were thinking of ending it.  Perhaps a trial separation would help so you can have some space to process the situation and DH can get a glimpse of the consequences.

StepUltimate's picture

I know the feeling; that ""Giggling in the corner..." SS is playing what I call "twist the knife," meaning not only stabbing (figuratively) you in the back but enjoying your pain. You are not a psycho, you have righteous anger but no satisfactory outcome possible from your SS.

That's why I'm here learning to disengage. I don't want to be perpetually angry, outraged & offended by my SS's behavior & my DH's lack of setting limits/consequences. I don't want this experience to make me bitter & resentful! I cannot change my SS, and I've been ignoring text & phone call requests for rides, refusing to give him cash, etc. SS has tried to "shape" my DH's opinion of me by repeating lies ("StepUltimate is looking to bust me & has nothing better to do than complain I'm not 100% perfect") that attempt to manage my DH's impression of him (SS). SS18 is 100% okay with using people & lying; I cannot stand it & have tapered off things I used to do regularly for SS (like clean his bathroom weekly & put clean towels in there, and wash the used towels). Now that he's 18 and still a liar who cuts class daily, comes home high regularly, and has disrespected the house I invited now-DH into and DH got custody of SS one year later... and SS disrespects me, the house, our marriage.... Eff him! I do love SS but do not trust him or like living with him anymore. Currently unsure if he'll actually graduate here in a few weeks, and my anxiety about him being here at the house while me & DH are at work is ramped ALL the way up. I hate feeling the constant presence of someone who is a selfish liar user con-artist, and look forward to him leaving. Which I think will only happen if DH has to kick him out (or I have to leave, ending my marriage to preserve my sanity & health). I hope not, because I love my DH, but I see SS making zero indication he'll be changing his ways anytime soon. I do not want any room mate other than DH, especially not a lazy, entitled, disrespectful stoner who contributes nothing.

We did create & print out a "Launch Plan" outlining the requirements to live here after graduation (college or military) but I mainly did that to keep DH from backtracking and letting SS con him into new terms & conditions behind my back. It's currently being violated (May 1st was the "Get Your Own Account, Phone, and Pay Your Own Bill" deadline he's not delivered on (DH is "discussing" with SS when he's going to start contributing $20/month) so my DH is letting us down by not enforcing what was agreed to. This causes me to lose respect for my DH & resent SS for being so entitled. I've cut off his data and our wifi a lot recently (not gonna cut school & play xbox in bed at this house buddy), but it's DH who asks me to restore it, who buys into SS's excuses/pity-party. 

One aspect of detaching is letting DH & SS handle any & all school issues, including but not limited to senior breakfast, cap & gown order, grad ceremony, whatever else. I've stayed out of it and do not care if we miss the ceremony & if SS even has a cap & gown. We got a "missing book invoice" that I wrote on to remind SS he needs to pay as we told him LAST year that any more "lost" books were his to pay for, that he shouldn't lose his books this year unless he wants to pay from his own pocket. I know the school keeps the diploma if the student owes money. Don't care what happens. SS has employed the "but you knew about it!" tecnique of throwing our a vague reference to grad ceremony but no details (he can later claim, "but I told you about it"). In the past, I would have gotten the info, invited family, planned & hosted the afterparty. Now? Not even sure kid will graduate, and if he does, it's up to him & DH to take action.

For you it's clear: SS has seen his last penny from you, DONE. For me, it's Wait & See what SS chooses. Still praying for a miracle, or miracles, that our respective skids would wise up & be grateful for the abundant, amazing lives we've been gifted with, instead of souring SM's & other former supporters, leaving behind a path of relationship destruction in their wake.

SimplicitySeeker's picture

Is he deliberately trying to wind you up? 

I'm totally disengaged from my partners Son so when graduation day came I didn't get nor expect an invite. 

She didn't make a song and dance about the affair, I mean why would you, people are rolling out of university like a sausage machine  it's no big deal. 

hereiam's picture

He is purposely trying to get under your skin.

Just out of curiosity, why did you put so much money towards this asshole?

pinkb's picture

... the plan was that jacka$$ move in with his mother who lived close by, he could continue to go to the same highschool. My husband would again start to pay the moderately reasonable CS that we stopped paying a couple years back (several months after which the child stopping seeing his mother for more than a random lunch here-or-there and was living full time with us.

All the hand shake agreements were made. The child didn't object. And we moved. He always had the option to move with us but he refused. We left him with several hundred dollars spending money and a car that was paid for free-and-clear.

Not more than ten days after we moved the kid went ballistic. His mother couldn't find him half the time and my husband was constantly having to hunt him down for his ex-. Ultimately, the decision was made that he would move in with a friend.. I heard bits and pieces of these conversations and not sure the path to the ultimate "resolution" turned out to be $1600/m paid to the family friend plus $300/m allowance. He had his own bedroom, private bathroom in Marin County (SF), CA. He had no chores, no rules blah blah blah...

High school graduation came/went and the child continued to stay in the "poverty" he suffered at the end of high school.  HIS CHOICE.  The money kept flowing.

Most of the time our bills were getting paid so I wasn't poking into this stuff. Then my husband lost his job. TWICE. And, I realized that though he wasn't paying the child's "tuirtion' he was siphoning $3K+ per month for almost 3 YEARS before I did get in the weeds and said "DH, WTF!?!?!"

So, whiile I was paying for almost ALL of our living expenses while he ran up another $20K on our joint credit card (which I ultimately paid off TWICE because it was tanking my credit and accruing over $300/m in interest). The kid did take out school loans (which my husband paid until 12/17) when I buttoned down absolutely everything.

I actually never tallied up the whole thing until a few months ago (actually at the suggestion of someone on ST).

But on the bright side I will never be affected by "he'll appreciate it one day when he grows up". I now know that's never going to happen.

pinkb's picture

... I wasn't invited to graduation.  Not that I would have showed up anyway. But, Mommy-dearest sure got an invitation and I'm sure my DH played "big, rich, Daddee" and paid for everything for everyone the whole weekend. 

<Sigh>

Rags's picture

He is trolling for grad gifts (MONEY!!!) from the only people, other than  you,  in his world with money... YOUR FRIENDS!!!

Write this pathetic shallow and polluted gene pool off and move on. 

I had a series of rescue projects over the years. Absolutely beautiful women each with a tragic flaw that I just knew I could fix.  Nope.  I can't fix anyone... or rescue anyone... without ruining my own life.  Not happenin. 

When my amazing bride invaded my life, as a single 18yo teen mom with a 15mo little boy... there was no rescuing her/them. I just had to stay out of the way and share life with this amazing, brilliant, scary/wicked smart, stunningly beautiful force of female nature. 

If you go, don't ever start another rescue project.  Make a life with someone who seasons your life and do great things together.

Good luck and take care of  you.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Pink, back when you had a big blow out with your H and your dad came to visit, I hoped you would file for divorce. You are being used as a sugar momma, and have been for some time. Why do you stay with this man who allows his son to mistreat you? Why?? Who's taking care of you? Who's planning for your future?

Now that Preshus has graduated, the gravy train needs to be stopped. There's absolutely no reason for you to ever give this entitled man another penny. Please separate your finances and hold your H accountable for half of the household bills and all the debt he's accrued.  If you must stay with him, then at least stop funding your mistreatment.