You are here

Fun With Car Insurance, Money for School and Taxes!

pinkb's picture

Hi All! Hope you are having a fantastic weekend... I'm curious for comments on this exchange between me (my husband copied) and my 20yo SS. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Dear

and I spoke a few weeks back and he mentioned that he was going to let you know that we are doing a "reboot" on our Homeowners and Car Insurance policies as we tighten things up to recover our savings for the last few months. I'm not sure if you've had that talk yet.

You're covered on our family policy until the 26th of this month. Coverage will cease after that. You'll probably want to look into other options before then because it's more expensive to get a policy after the old one has expired.

Thanks,

SS20's response:

Thank you for the email and sufficient warnings.

However, there is one major concern I have, regarding your tax filings. As of the year 2015 you earned roughly $XYZ USD and received tax deductions and credits while claiming me as a dependent. While I appreciate that you use every opportunity provided to you legally, I must take concern with your tax claims as they do not reflect yours, nor my father's, financial behavior.

Prior to being claimed as a dependent by you, I was afforded by US Federal Aid approximately $18,000 USD annually. Currently, I only receive $6,750 annually as my family contribution is expected to cover the entirety of my living costs.

Under current and previous circumstances, I have been, and am, financially independent from you.

I would appreciate if you refiled your taxes to appropriately reflect your financial decisions.

Thank you,

After much consternation, a very uncomfortable discussion with my husband and numerous hours with my shrink I responded with:

Dear

Thanks for your email… wanted to give you as much notice as we could before we were locked into an additional $2400 for another year (the delta between carrying you or not on the policy). Unfortunately, an accident and a speeding ticket had to seal the deal on a change with the rate increase and all. Absolutely no spare liquid cash right now. can go into the detail on the financial situation if he chooses.

On the tax situation, claiming you was your Dad's decision against my suggestion and the advice of a CPA and a tax attorney (originally discussed in 2013 and yearly at tax time since then). has the paper trail on those discussions with the professionals and contact information for our tax attorney. You probably want to do your own research in using her or selecting someone that you think is more qualified. None of these folks are cheap.

The returns will have to match (our amended and your amended) or an audit is likely which isn’t fun for anyone but that’s all up to you. I don't have any time to spend on this but have been advised (repeatedly for years) that not claiming you is in our financial best interest and yours, but out of respect for my Husband we did things his way.

I'm happy to sign the amended 2015 return once it's prepared.

Hope this works out for you.

Brief comments on my part... the person who prepares our taxes is so popularly awesome at her job you can't even get in to see her without a referral. Every year she runs our taxes in several scenarios (all legal) and lets us choose what's best for the family. My initial response was to tell the ungrateful little punk to f* off. But, upon further discovery I realized this won't likely change anything at all around our taxes, even without my income he would have gotten the same amount of money in scholarships and the kid may see a few hundred bucks from taxes from his coffee shop job which will be far less that someone (NOT ME) will have to pay to re-file.

I did, however take great offense to the tone of his response. We paid for his first two years of school (some of which my husband was unemployed and hadn't saved... so you do the math). The "financial independence" thing is a joke given we paid for school and living expenses. Trying to be the bigger person here but is this kind of communication acceptable? My husband and I haven't even talked about it since I initially received his response and was clearly upset that Dad thought I inspired the email by cutting off his insurance (with much notice, I might add and a decent explanation.

Thoughts?

yolo222's picture

Your finances and taxes are none of the step sons business. I would not have even replied to his email. It's laughable.

pinkb's picture

No plan to claim him in the future and I never wanted to claim him in the past... in fact a few weeks before this SS sent DH a text message saying "this is the last year you will have to claim me as a dependent". I thought at the time "Hooray! Never wanted to in the first place. If you hadn't refused to live with your Mom because she actually imposed RULES school (despite your mediocre grades) would have been paid for".

Up until April of this year DH's HOUSEHOLD income (including mine) supported the child entirely. This included room/board/tuition for an expensive school, car, car insurance, and cell phone.

ETexasMom's picture

Only response needed: I'm so happy you agree your are finically independent. Therefore insurance will be discontinued, all schooling will be paid by you, and you file taxes independently this year.

He's using the taxes to try to blackmail you into continuing to pay for his car insurance. At this point you need to cease communication and let your husband deal with his adult child.

CANYOUHELP's picture

None of this communication with the Skid should be placed upon the SM, this is a joint return and HIS kid, my opinion only.

pinkb's picture

We claimed him in 2015 because we supported him in 2015. Though, we had an option not to despite the fact we supported him. I don't want to be any more entangled with the kid than I have to be. He's disrespectful and treats me as if I don't exist. Which, I am fine with but then I don't think I should be expected to give him money. I mean, I wouldn't leave the kid starving or by the side of the road or anything but I'm done giving up my "nice to haves" to keep sending him money. Thankfully, his Dad has stopped (though not much of a choice with no income). If we supported him up until April 2016 I don't see how we were at any fault for claiming him in 2015... at least that's what the tax attorney said.

That being said, financially it doesn't help us at all to claim him which is why I have always said "let him deal with his own taxes". We didn't file this way for any financial gain for me and my husband but because my husband wanted to and against my better judgement but as it was "free" (didn't cost us or the kid anything) and I didn't want to argue, whatever, right?

As a 20yo ADULT I would think it would be on him to say "how are you planning on filing this year because I would like to file on my own". Done and done. I guess Daddy wanted to put him on our returns so he didn't have to be bothered to file his own?

Believe me... there were about 5 versions of my response that were far far far more nasty than this one. I know we've done nothing wrong. And, am just really disappointed that my husband thinks it's okay for his son to talk to me this way.

pinkb's picture

Attorney was provided all the records including tuition, room and board, car and health insurance for every year he was claimed as a dependent. Also, all the same stuff we provided for tax year 2014 with which SS had no problem and 2013 for which he had no problem. Either kid got really smart in the last 12 months or this is retaliation because we don't want to pay his car insurance anymore. This is not only because we are tight on money right now but because his traffic violations have made our rates skyrocket.

That being said, entirely happy to re-file as I never wanted him on the returns in the first place to prevent exactly these happenings... and have told the kid so but that he and his Dad will have to take care of it. Just because he (or he and his Dad) didn't pay attention until 6+ months after our returns were due, I just don't really feel like this is something I should have to deal with.

Dad signed the tax forms. I chase down all the things we have to submit for taxes every year for months to get them to our representative and get them in on time. I'm just not doing it all over again. I would have considered it without the attitude but no more. I'm happy to sign an amended return but someone else gets to go to the footwork and expense to get it done.

pinkb's picture

No sarcasm intended... doesn't tuition, room, and board, giving him a car and paying for car and health insurance count as "supporting"? I can't see how it wouldn't be? I'm not talking bits and pieces of these things... I'm talking the entirety of this stuff minus books for school, gas, and play money outside of the student meal plan we paid for.

pinkb's picture

This just in... the kid's Uncle has volunteered to add SS20 to HIS car insurance policy. Awesome! Out of our hands. They are planning to utilize a loophole in the system (Uncles with good income, great driving record) is going to claim the second car belongs to him and the kid is a "guest" driver. Totally untrue as the car is with the kid all the time and kid doesn't live with Uncle but, whatever, not my problem.

Both my husband and Uncle set aside a good deal of their day yesterday to sign over the title, get the Bill of Sale done, etc. None of which involved SS20 to even participate (stupid, in my opinion.. you should at least have to participate if folks are doing something nice for you). Then, my husband realized that the title to the car (which was required for the $1 sale that was planned) is IN the car that SS20 is in possession of. He was asked to locate it and show up to Uncle's house about 10 minutes away from school to provide the paperwork to complete the transaction.

SS20 told his Dad "Come OOOONNNN, Dad! I'm busy. I don't have time now. I'll get to it when I get to it".

Yep. Appreciation at it's finest.

Rags's picture

"Skid, you have been and remain our dependent. The taxes will remain the same until you cease to be our dependent by assuming responsibility for yourself by paying your own way more than 50%. Buh-bye"

End of discussion.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Wow, just...Wow.

Your SS is a manipulative, entitled waste of oxygen, and your H and BIL are only feeding the beast. After that blackmail attempt, I would wash my hands of him completely.

pinkb's picture

Thank you all for your comments... I guess I knew the right answer. It was nice to have it supported.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Question: If your husband currently has no income, why in the world would you even think to contribute one thin dime to this blatantly arrogant and ungrateful leech?

With this kind of attitude I doubt he will be a first-choice for any future employer out there, nor will he last long even if he does manage to snow them during an interview. Which means he may be a human financial sponge for some time to come.

From what I gather, based on your comments, your husband is not currently providing income to the household? ("... his dad has stopped - though not much of a choice with no income.) If that's the case, I would tell DH flat-out that the gravy train has derailed. You should not be providing any kind of financial support to this ingrate.

I can see the impending disaster with his uncle, too. Stay out of any of those discussions.

Do not contribute another cent. Do not communicate with this punk again. Let all the issues around him be dealt with by the people responsible for making this jacka$$ - your DH and BM. Their kid, their problem.

And yes, if it means leaving him starving by the side of the road - so be it. He needs to learn some serious lessons about surviving in the big bad world.

Roadkill can be a mighty fine meal if you get hungry enough.