You are here

Father's Day & a Special Request

ImperfectlyPerfect's picture

Hello friends, advice needed:

Father's Day is around the corner and I have remained disengaged from Adult SS for almost 8 months. Besides an obligatory response via text or having to take a call on Mother's Day I do not do anything and it's been good. I don't miss the relationship or the treatment. The upcoming father's day holiday I asked DH what I can do. He already has plans for an outing with adult SS (outside the house and I have declined involvement) but wanted me to make them a nice dinner and have adult SS there too. I have healthy boundaries in place, one being that I don't see him and the second being that I don't want him or the MIL in the house. When asked I immediately said NO. What are your thoughts? 

Winterglow's picture

Looks like he'll be going to a restaurant... 

There's no reason to give up your boundaries. Your husband is well aware of them so he was out of line to suggest it. When you have boundaries like that in place, there's a reason and they don't magically go away on certain days of the year. 

I would be perfectly fine with a resturant without me - thank you winterglow boundaries are staying up. Yeah, it's a slow degradation then- what about christmas? this day? that day? a sunny day?? Keeping it black and white is best. 

advice.only2's picture

It's Father's Day...therefore it is on SS to provide and cater to his father that day should he be so inclined. 

Lol...DH is just extremely honored to be graced by adult SS's presence. He was beyond floored that he could actually make the time...on a sunday...and drive the 30 minutes. I think SS providing anything more then that would be in another dimension. 

SteppedOut's picture

That's all I have to say about this. We'll, also how unattractive.

Winterglow's picture

I wonder what SS is after? Rhetorical question because obviously it's money. I just wonder what it's for. 

Unsure Winterglow - it's possible. SS does try to keep a slight relationship with his DH- in the past he was not very great but now there are slight attempts, nothing outstanding. However, I do think there's always a little bit of that in the back of their heads. Inheritance has come up time and time again - and I usually end up barking back: we are not dead and anything given is a gift. 

Do you have experience with that being the first and foremost in the back of the mind of your SKIDS?

sandye21's picture

Oh what the DHs do to get us to throw our boundaries out to the wind!  It would be comical if it DH wasn't disrespecting your intelligence and right to live your life without judgement.

If he asks again I would fein concern and tell him you just want him to have 'quality time' alone with SS.  But you did the right thing by simply saying "No", which restated your boundaries.

Yeah thanks sandye21, it's much easier to be the one on the other end who doesn't recieve the consistent abusive behavior and just wants "one big happy family." I get IT. I wanted that too but we're past this working out. I also find that the less I am involved it gets harder and harder to point the blame or focus on me when something does not go right. I've begun to point out when the focus is on me but should NOT be. For instance, other SS called and made a myriad of poor decisions. I was in the background not in the convo but at one point I made a face of disdain after listening to some of the terrible decision making. Again said nothing. After the call DH takes me aside to talk about "my facial expression"....but somehow the horrendous decision making that caused me to make that expression was ignored. I was floored at my ability to articulate that the focus should not be on ME and my facial expression but the behavior of adult SS. That is where he should put his focus. So the more I drift away and play a perhiperal role I have begun to see where the scapegoating is happening and it's helped me to have greater clarity. 

CLove's picture

That was me last night and oh boy did I get an earfull! This was over SD16 B/M who got a D in honors english and yesterday being Monday where it starts husbands week was the first we heard of the summer school she just started. To recover from the D. But she got the D because of her last assignment she didnt turn in, because she had deleted it. But the teacher didnt care that "it got deleted" and told her she could get full credit if she redid it (because if she did it then its in her head already, and she can recreate what she already did right?????) . But she didnt want to redo it because she was too frustrated. So better to do a month or whatever of summer school. But summer school isnt too bad because its fun to hang with friends during and after...lololol.

Oh Im going to have to post!!!!

CLove's picture

Dont let him suck you back in. Dont let your walls down, they will trample them. Stand your ground! The more disengaged you are, the more pressure on THEM to finally step up or not. You have been the buffer/whipping post, of which you have resigned.

You're right Clove. it's time to carry their own problems and figure it out. I take a lot of pressure off this family by being the whipping post. Truly. When I actually stepped back I realized I was pretty much the blame for all things and everyone had no reaosn to look at their own behavior or be held accountable. 

CajunMom's picture

I have been completely disengaged from DHs kids for 4+ years...haven't seen or spoken to them in that time frame. DH sees his crew outside our marital home, a boundary set in counseling. Stand your ground and let him take his son out to eat (but really, shouldn't HIS son take him out as it IS Father's Day???). I sure as hell would not be cooking a nice meal for people who treat me like crap. And I would not sit at a table with such people either. While I am beginning to ease my boundaries, I do not ever see myself "eating" with DHs kids in any venue. Meal time is personal and should be enjoyable.

That's right CajunMom - hopefully he can rummage up the cash to buy a meal on Father's Day. We'll see. He actually does nice gestures (sort of) towards his dad, but he's real d*** towards me. Adult SS isn't overtly nasty (that would be easier to handle), instead he acts as if he's been abused, awkwardly stands (doesn't sit down) at the dinner table (this was when he was invited over), and blames me for everything. From the outside you'd think I did something really wrong and that's why there is this broken bird. I have no idea what he told himself in his head. But either way it is NOT good for me- I don't deserve this after being a very kind and extremely generous stepparent. People buy into the act ALL the time and because there's no discussing the matter just extremely sulky acting that looks as if he was abused, there is always this assumption that I must have been the problem. I want to also note that I have never physically or verbally abused the man- in fact I probably go a little too far not to even say anything that could disturb this sensitive soul. So by removing myself far far away I really wonder if the act is still going on. If it is- I guarantee he's saying "It's because of HER that I am this way."

sandye21's picture

"-- awkwardly stands (doesn't sit down) at the dinner table--"  This is not sane but it sounds as if his outrageous behavior is being 'normalized'.  You have to ask yourself what is the purpose of it?  Just wonder if he would have done this if other adults were present. 

I went through this kind of crap for years with SD and her husband.  They would have muffled, sideline conversations while sitting on the same couch I was sitting on or in the same room or in the car.  Then they would look over toward me and smirk to each other.  They did this continuously - unless there was another adult present besides exH.  This proved to me that their actions were purely intentional, instead of "That's the way they are" or "I didn't see anything" from DH, implying that I was imagining things or blowing things out of proportion.  It was plain crazy-making.

Eventually I found that the apple had not fallen far from the tree when, in the final months of our marriage exDH would mumble and when I asked him to repeat what he said, the same smirk would light up his face.

Yes, if I tried to explain this to another person outside of stepworld they would say, "you're being too sensitive." After years of these behaviors all time I hit a DONE point when Adult SS's MIL became his voicebox at the dinner where they told us how we've failed as parents. That was the final straw to break the camel's back, otherwise I'd still be inviting that behavior back into my presence unable to know how to address it or change it. Back to your muffled talking and smirking situation - uncalled for. Yucky behavior. Weird and what I realized is all these very bizzarre behaviors are ways to control the mood, tempo, etc. It IS crazy-making and the best way to handle it is put adult child and DH to sit face to face, not with me. I don't want to be around that kind behavior any longer. And the great thing I have come to realize is I don't have to be. I don't miss any of it and I am much happier to not have to dread having to face another session of weird stuff.

sandye21's picture

You are too sensitive when it is a minor thing and only happens once.  When it happens repeatedly, you are no longer being too sensitive.  I finally banned SD from my house, completely disengaged from her and refused to discuss her at all.  But it made me wonder who would be my replacement for their narcissistic thrills.

You mentioned SS's MIL.  If you decide to disengage I wonder if she will fill your role.

When exDH left he headed up to SD's area.  So I am assuming she took my place as 'surrogate Mommie'.  LOL LOL  Oh, I wish I was a fly on the wall!  LOL

Sandye21 wise words- yes repeatedly is also abusive. And sorry for the confusion it's DIL, not MIL (although adult SS's fairly new MIL does like to stir all kinds of drama- most everyone except her immediate family avoids the MIL)...It's adult SS's wife that I am talking about but accidentally typed MIL. DIL is incredibly empowered to annihilate - she has taken on ALL of adult SS's emotional work for him and has become his speaking box. Frankly DIL annoys me - she's entitled and has many daddy & mommy issues that get played out on us. DIL has done her share of sabotage and a portion of her behavior is not repairable (in my eyes.) I suspect she isn't very introspective because she's fallen into the trap of taking all this on. I sleep fabulous at night, so happy to have her take on this "cause."

ESMOD's picture

If my MIL ever said anything to me about being a failure of a parent?? I would look at her and ask her who the hell does she think my children are?  I have no children MIL!!!... you can pedal that blame elsewhere.. anything I did for those kids was totally voluntary.. and thankless apparently.

It's worse then a MIL, I accidentally typed that. It's the DIL who has no child rearing experience but is a wise wise expert on letting me know "how to do this." 

Rags's picture

You did right IMHO.  Periodic assaults on your boundaries are pretty much par for the course when holding a partner and gtheir prior relationship children in a blended marriage accountable for their actions.

Stick to your guns.

Sage advice. Yeah, I have to see this as an assault on a healthy boundary. Healthy boundaries are made because they are necessary and should not be broken. Thank you Rags. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Nice little attempt at manipulating the situation to your DH's advantage, eh?  But you blocked him with a firm boundary. Boo hoo. He'll continue to look for chinks in your armor for a while before learning this is the new norm. Hopefully he gets used, abused and ignored, then comes to you to soothe his bruised fee fees. Have fun with that.

After years of putting up with skid nonsense and my DH ignoring it, I was astonished at how quickly he got fed up with OSD after I disengaged. It's true I was always the buffer and facilitator, but apparently I was also blocking his view. Once I stepped aside, he got the full blast of that dragon's breath and decided it was terrible and unacceptable. No kidding, DH. 

Yes, that's a great analogy Exjuliemccoy- we are blocking the way. It's a strange thing - the adult SKIDs are lacking in love, energy, ambition and giving joy but extremely expectant of recieving these things. They don't give full wrath, it's like a simmering of hatred under the surface, where they watch your moves and unleash misery in a slow release- displaying displeasure in their expressions at having to be around and expectant. I do have one adult SS who is slightly better. Although I consider myself and many others believe ot be a pretty magnamous person who can be captivating he makes certain to fall asleep if I've said more than a couple sentences. Then I have the other adult SS who doesn't unleash with dragon's breath full blast either, just a slow leak of posinous carbon monoxide - its there and it's killing you slowly. He remains silent, not answering and sending a message through his body language that you are SCUM. You begin to feel slightly insecure- Have I done something wrong? Said something harmful? And after questioning yourself, you can feel a doomsday of judgement fall over the home- a very dark shadow happens and you find he's become extremely self righteous and you haven't even spoken a word. It's totally bizzarre and because of this behavior over and over I had no way to directly correct it and found myself falling into a deep hole of depression. The abuse is more like a slow drip, very hard to reprimand but you can instantly feel the extreme disdain and dislike he has. Everyone else acts oblivious or believes he must have been "abused" - trust me I am pretty thick skinned and after years of this and criticisms here and there I finally had it. 

SeeYouNever's picture

He can go to a restaurant rather than volunteer you to cook for him and his guests. 

Noway2b1's picture

They (Dads) dont seem to comprehend that NO, your partner their non mother should NOT be cooking a meal for FATHERS a day for  "adult" children that are not theirs, hell I would expect my own children to help significantly if I was still married to their dad. Does it never occur to these men that their adult children should think of a way to HONOR them, not the other way around? Father's Day doesn't mean another day dad gets to pay homage to the kids, but for many enmeshed families that is exactly what it has become. 

Yes that's right Noway2b1. It's very strange the dynamic- hard to totally pin it down but I find myself having to become smaller in all ways. I used to just think about putting myself in a cupboard or becoming an inanimate object in the room to blend in and avoid being there. Adult SKIDs at this point should honor the dad and yeah...there's a dynamic you're picking up on where the expectations are yet again shoveled on to me. THanks for your wisdom, this was good to read. 

AgedOut's picture

if SK wants to dine w/ Daddy for Dads Day, they have three choices:

1. make reservations at a restaurant for him and Daddy

2. cook a meal for Daddy at Skiddos place 

3. don't eat.

AgedOut the options are ENDLESS you just can't pick the one where it includes me. :D 

bertieb's picture

OMG I'm so proud of you for saying no. It is hard and I don't know if I can still. SS has never been mean to me or outwardly negative, but we are treated as nothing more than an obligation and gift source. Married 11 years, 2 adult SS's and DH has never been taken out by them for Fathers Day or birthday or just for lunch.  Our last event together was Christmas dinner, I cooked all day and they arrived at 5 after having DQ Blizzards on the way. The kids didn't eat, the adults barely. They just came for the presents, which is a whole other ordeal and story on what they want.
Youngest SS called and said he was coming to see DH for Father's Day. He hasn't been to our house in months even though he is single and lives 40 minutes away. Again, an obligatory visit I guess. DH told him to call his brother and work out something to do, like dinner or whatever. Haven't heard back yet. I guess they are trying to figure out how to get us to grill for them and provide dinner. I'm trying to figure out how to not be there. There are 3 grandkids so if I leave I look like I don't care about the kids. I do care but they have nothing to say to us and are boring. Thinking about it all gives me an upset stomach already. I hope you get through your day successfully!

Thank you bertieb, that feels just like what I deal with - except I don't cook for them any longer! It's a waste. Everyone complains and you are right - they show up with DQ blizzards and then the meal is spoiled. PLEASE STOP doing that ! No reason to make things for people who won't appreciate it or not even eat it. 

Father's Day- yeah...hopefully your SKIDs can get their act together. As for you - Why not just go? Truly, no one is going to miss you unless they need you to be a maid, nanny, cook, housekeeper- just GO! If you wanted to stay for the grandkids then I would understand or if there's some reason for DH but it sounds like that's not the case and you already have an upset stomach over the whole thing. Do something very sweet directly for your DH and then hit the road! Or if the SKIDs fail to do anything nice for your DH then you guys go get yourself a meal and treat each other. 

Missingme's picture

I think you did the right thing by holding to your guns. I haven't been following your situation, but on the surface, it seems as though your husband is being a bit balsy to ask you to make a dinner for his jerk son. I almost feel like he's taunting you in a way. Why should you make dinner when they are already going out to celebrate together??

Yeah- I think DH wants the family together. THe problem is the family together in the past worked for everyone else but me. When you are the scapegoat, evil stepparent, treated like garbage and expected to serve everyone and be there for everyone but recieve nothing in return it works for everyone else. They get what they want and I get nothing. It's actually a genius way to run things, I am just on the wrong end of the deal. 

CLove's picture

YES. I am starting to think that separated parents actually go out looking for folks like us.

Husband used to say that I was quite the prize because no kids, and no exhusbands. And now Ive upped my payscale, bought a house with him and 3 boats...the prize keeps getting better. Meanwhile since I am no contact with Feral Forger and she I, no presents because no presence. And Ive cut way back on SD15 B/M also, because the relationship isnt at all reciprocal.

Clove, you wouldn't believe how parrallel our situations are. The only difference is my skiddos are in their 20s. I told my DH yesterday- you won the lottery on this deal, truly. I will admit he's fantastic as a partner but he plays a significant role in this family dynamic which I am no longer accepting. It does not work for me and sounds like you may be doing the same. At the moment I am not allowing one adult SS around me - he has incredibly unhealthy attitude and outlook on who I am as a person. I realized it's just wrong and it may never change but it's not my job to make him see reality. In fact quite the opposite- let him fester in his negativity and I am off doing fun, impactful and good things on our earth for others. Good on you for putting up healthy boundaries. <3 

Harry's picture

He help created this, by bad parenting. And allowing this to continue.  I would rather cook at a homeless shelter.  They would appreciate a good meal more.  You might get a Thank You 

100% agree with this Harry. It is exactly that and I agree- I am not lifting a finger to cook a meal that I know will 100% be unappreciated and I will be treated less then the dogs. No thanks. Been there, done that.