You are here

Daddy Warbucks

still learning's picture

DH loves to pretend he's daddy Warbucks. Thats why he was 10k in debt when I met him not to mention that he agreed to pay exW alimony for 15 years on top of her taking him to the cleaners when they divorced. He was taking out line of credit loans in order to loan family members money.

Our (his) current home is almost paid off and we are looking to relocate, sell this one and buy another home. Our plan is to have zero mortgage once the new home is bought and this one is sold. But now DH is talking about how he'd like to just *give* ss26 the house. Then he says, "If I give ss this house I'd have to do something for ss32 too." Holy geezus, seriously DH?! He still owes bio sl#t about 21k in alimony and bio sl#t will be getting half his pension. He's still in debted to her and his future pay is cut in half. Married to the hoor for 22 years and financially beholden to her for almost the rest of his life. What a deal huh?

We've been married for almost 6 years and I've helped pay all the bills and have put my own money and time into helping remodel. I'm pissed that he just wants to give it all away and put us right back in the hole. His finances are good now since I've helped him budged and straighten things out. He has a personal business acct, joint "ours" acct, and I have my own acct. We are doing well and have money for a down payment and closing costs for the new house. I guess DH thinks we are rich now and he can just give everything else away.

I was hoping that this new home would be the beginning of us building "our" life together. It's just an idea right now and hopefully he'll be disuaded from it once we go over the finances and he sees that he's not quite Daddy WArbucks yet! Hating the fact that we'll never really be united about finances or what OUR future will look like. It will always be about them and their needs, his kids and the hoor. And they called me a money grubber...Ha!

SacrificialLamb's picture

He is basically absolving himself of his guilt. I would tell him to get counseling to get closure rather than drag your financial future through the muck and mire. These poor adult children who couldn't possibly make it on their own, and BM can't function without him sacrificing himself to support them? Puhleeze.

still learning's picture

Yeah the poor darlings. ss32 chooses to get stoned and have his 19 yr old gf support him rather than work. ss26 married a woman with a child, had another child, got kicked out of the military and can't afford his starbucks drinking, new car, tattoo getting lifestyle so of course DH should just step up and give them houses. It's like he thinks he Oprah, "And a house for you, and a house for you..."

He does need counseling but he won't go. It's going to come down to an ultimatum of either he chooses our financial future together or I'll have to take a page out of his ex wife's playbook. If he wants to leave his half of his resources to his kids when he dies then fine, but with a clause that I get to live there as long as I want or until I sell the home.

Just another example of how I'm supposed to sacrifice everything for the skids.

strugglingSM's picture

Maybe he can give SS the house if he plans to buy out your half and also pay outright for his half of the next house. Otherwise, no, just no. My DH used to talk about how he wanted to give SSs money when they turned 30, I told him that was fine, but he better start saving. I don’t feel any need to financially support SSs and I too, have helped DH pay off his debt and repair his credit. It’s wont be my fault if SSs don’t know how to manage their money. DH didn’t get any money from his parents when he turned 30 and his parents were much more well off than he was, so not sure why he thinks he should give them money. He got an inheritance when SSs were small that he intended to use to pay for college and BM “needed” it to cover some debt for her business, so I figure she can pay for college, too.

If my DH told me he wanted to give his kids our house, I would laugh in his face and the if he acted like he was serious, I might speak to a lawyer about protecting my assets. I won’t be in debt in my old age because SSs can’t handle themselves. My parents have helped me when I absolutely needed help, but they were able to do that because they didn’t just hand out money like it was going out of style. DH’s mother is in her 70s and still has a mortgage, but part of the reason she does is because she pays for things she shouldn’t like student loans for SIL to get her fourth masters or to give BM $5000 after the divorce because she “needed it”. Of course when DH couldn’t afford a lawyer for his divorce and asked for help, MIL said no, so she does not feel the need to help out when help is really needed, but who’s counting.

If DH does try to give SSs money while he’s alive for silly reasons, I will ensure that all of our joint assets go to charity and that his kids get nothing when we’re both gone.

still learning's picture

The house is in DH's name since he had it before the marriage so legally he could just give them the whole thing. SS wouldn't be able to buy out anything because he can barely keep him and his family afloat while they live w/his wifes parents. Life is a big party since someone else is financing their living situation. They have no saving and likely would have a hard time even saving for the property taxes and any maintenance that needed to be done.

DH didn't want to spend money for a lawyer when he divorced either, instead he's still paying for it 13+ years later. BM sounds like your SIL, she has 3, count them 3 Bachelors degrees but still went after DH for alimony. DH never got any formal schooling but has skills and works hard.

SS's both got DH's poor spending habits but not his hard work ethic so of course DH is expected to provide indefinitely.

sandye21's picture

Still Learning, I really understand your frustration. Just when you think DH is on the right track of thinking he blurts out something outrageous. If I were in your shoes, I would visit a lawyer and see where you stand financially if you decide to split. Then I would calmly present DH with an itemized bill for your contributions to the home that you have placed as a lien on the house - which will have to be paid prior to handing the home to his son. Let him know that you have no choice but to protect your own financial interests as he seems to be disregarding them. My guess is that once he processes the potential consequences to his irresponsible actions he will have a 'change of heart'.

still learning's picture

Yes it is frustrating when I think he is thinking about our future but really he wants to set up his kids by putting us in a hole. We recently inquired about a house that was 20k below what our current house is worth. I told DH how great it would be if this house sold for it's full value, we paid off that house and he had 20k to build his dream shop. He was excited by that prospect so I'm hoping that reason wins out in the end.

notsobad's picture

At what point do these guilty Dads think they'll be free of the guilt?
How much do they have to give away to make up for the fact that they are no longer married to their kids mother?

If they are living in abject poverty and working till they are over 80, will that be enough? When they are on their deathbeds, poor and alone will they finally say that's enough, I've given my kids and ex everything. I can die happy and free?

I don't understand it.

catsmom01's picture

I'd like to know the answer as well. I know my boyfriend will be leaving his adult children money in his will even though they've stolen from him, lied to him, punished him by withholding a grandchild, etc, etc. He's scared of them and their guilt inducing ways even in death.

still learning's picture

I wonder when it will be enough too and I really think the answer is never. DH is still in debt to their mother for a few more years and now the house is up for grabs in their eyes. It's funny that they never had any interest in it until I moved in and we painted and remodeled. Now all our hard work is to be just given away to someone who feels they are entitled to it.

fairyo's picture

This post rings so many bells for me. When I met DH he had already had three wives (what was I thinking, really?) Apart from the first who he married very young his other two were paid off with a house each. His kids were grown up and (I thought) independent.

I was all too aware that although DH earns good money he had no savings and had bought a house that he couldn't sell when he met me. I did not want to live in the house he had bought with his third wife, and I had one to sell. So, although he lost a lot of money on his house we managed to buy a property with my money and we own it outright. We have it in common- which means we each own half because although I paid more for it, he has paid all the bills ever since and I feel it was a fair arrangement. I still earn a modest salary and have a small pension.

DH does subsidise his kids all the time, though. He helped OSD and MSD buy a house before I met him (hence his having no savings) and when MSD fell out with her partner we paid her mortgage until her finances were sorted out- as she didn't want to move house. We have also helped SS financially far more than was really justified.

I think the issue for us is that DH is coming up to retirement age but as OP said, I'm not sure that he will ever stop work as I feel his kids will just feel that need to keep milking him for all he has and right now I feel he too will drop dead before they stop their demands. I have tried so often to tell him that he is entitled to his own life and leisure but he doesn't see it. I no longer tell him what I think as he thinks I'm 'caustic.'

I carry on working because he does, I know his pension is not going to afford us luxuries and that's why he keeps working. But if he wasn't still supporting his kids so much we'd get by.

BTW I insisted we make wills to protect our separate kids entitlement. Both sets of kids get half the value of the house- I thought this was the only fair thing to do.

I think OP made a lot of mistakes in taking on this feckless, guilty man. I think people, including my own family, see my DH as a man with a lot of money but he has given most of it away and what do I get? These men seem haunted by their past mistakes and cannot see the reality of their impoverished lives.

I sometimes think I should leave him and insist he buy me a house like he did his previous wives, but I wouldn't see him sleeping on the street to achieve this. It would be a real wake-up call for the skids though!

sandye21's picture

My DH was poor when I married him. He lied to me about it. But as a 'dutiful' wife, I supported him while he paid for SD's expensive college. She refused to take prerequisites at a community college - no, it was the best for her. After she graduated, DH continued to place hundreds of dollars in her bank account each month - even though she was making more money than he was at the time. This was money that should have been invested in his retirement. I also paid for her health insurance. DH lived for decades in a house I paid for. He did pay for 1/2 of the household expenses after SD graduated but since there was no house payment it was a pretty good deal for him.

Now we are both retired. His retirement is limited. He is no longer able to give SD the impression HE is Daddy Warbucks. If anything serious happened I don't know if he would have the funds to take care of it - and as with many of these skids with their hands out, I doubt SD would help.

Like you, I know DH would have led a different life if I hadn't helped him out. We bought a smaller home together so he has had more incentive to make improvements which I have often times voiced my appreciation for. But neither he or SD has ever expressed any appreciation for my contribution to the betterment of their lives. I know on SD's part she hates me too much to see anything positive about me, and I can accept that. But DH has been somewhat blind too. I don't know if it is because he is a proud man or what the reason is. Just wondering if your DH has ever given you any credit for how you helped him out?

It is my hope that one day, when a potential SM reads our posts, that she realizes she does not have to 'settle' for the much over-rated institution of 'marital bliss' and 'Stephell'. I love my DH, and I know this sounds to some mean and nasty, but if I had it to do over today, before I married any man, I would hire a private detective to check him out.

still learning's picture

You're right, I made a lot of mistakes by financially hooking my wagon to his. We had the money talk and went over our finances before marriage and I knew that he would be paying alimony for serveral more years. He told me that this was a small portion of his income and did not affect his lifestyle. Though he told the *truth* on one level he withheld how much in debt he was and all the loans he was giving to his family and friends, loans that were never repaid.

I came into the marriage w/zero debt and a paid off car. I always bought big purchase items w/cash outright and have never been in debt. He told me everything I wanted to hear about us building *our* future. Now I know I should have dug deeper and insisted on seeing all of his financial papers rather than just taking his word.

He too talks about retiring in the near future and I have to laugh. His pension will be slashed in half and the way he likes to just give everything away it's just not going to work.

FieryEscape's picture

I wouldn't stay married to a man who refused to safeguard our assets and retirement .

You need to go speak with a lawyer about protecting the money you spent on the home he owns, since he just wants to give it to his kid.

TX2step's picture

What is wrong with these skids? They have their best income producing years ahead of them. Taking money from your elderly parents is just wrong. They have the ability to earn and save just as we have. It's a life lesson they need to learn sooner rather than later.

catsmom01's picture

Agree with Tx2step. For some reason these skids are viewed as victims and have lowered expectations to succeed in life. Plus it seems the BMs have trained their kids to think of their fathers as money givers.

fairyo's picture

^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ also their dads have trained them that way because it makes them powerful. Doing things and giving things to his kids is the only power he has!

still learning's picture

Truly it is DH's only power and the only time we see skids is when they want something or DH has something to give them.

shikades's picture

Argh!! What a situation!!! Careful here Dad!! Kids might see you as the local bank and once you give you can not say No ever again!! Yes! I would advise seeing a counsellor and sorting this one out for sure!!! Good luck!!

jam's picture

Hey Still Learning, I don't know if this helps but my dh and I were going through similar. My dh & I did so much for his kids and they never appreciated anything. Then dh wanted to do more and more. Larger and larger.

I had my own home when I married and we sold my home & I moved into his home. He had gotten the family home in his divorce. I was treated like a house servant by skids (& somewhat by dh too) rather than any type of owner. Later we purchased a new home. The skids were totally jealous that dh & I would buy a nicer home. Recently we sold the old home that dh had when we married. My dh wanted to give osd30 10K. He said that his exwifes parents had given them 10k when they originally purchased the home. We had already done much for his kids and this was my last straw. We fought about it but then I simply told him I was not fighting about it any longer. I told him he could do what ever he wanted and I would not say a word but that I would do exactly the same thing for my bio kids. If he gives osd 10k I would immediately give my kids the same. Dh became angry and said "okay Jam, just give it all away!". He knew I meant it. I was sick and tried of feeling like my dh was really married to his kids. Anyway, this shut him down.

Good luck

still learning's picture

In my situation 10k might be reasonable compared to the entire house to one skid Lol! Then he has to do something for the other one...

Yes your comment helps. It makes me realize that no matter what DH and I do or buy together skids will be jealous so I've just gotta keep moving forward anyway. DH and I bought a new car togehter that I mainly drive, totally jealous. We take trips, "Why didn't you bring me?" says ss32. Call me cold hearted but I am beyond caring about their fee fees. I do care about DH and how his guilt affects our life though. Maybe I should talk about how the new house we're buying together will be given to my kids since he gave the last house to his and we'll just go live in a tent.

jam's picture

My dh too wanted to give osd a house. We had purchased a home for osd to live in while attending college. Long story but osd became offended and moved out after one year and then was estranged from us for 1 1/2 years. She never knew that dh wanted to give her the house. osd totally NEVER appreciated anything done for her. The rental we purchased was connected to the college she was attending. She only had to walk across the street to class. The house was a small two bedroom and she lived there with her dh & baby at the time. They moved out because they wanted to move a friend into the house with them and we said no. They were simply okay with their friend benefiting by our sacrifice. Like I said. It's a long story.

FieryEscape's picture

Lol so your DHs generosity stops wth his kid and suggesting your kids deserve the same is apparently unthinkable . People always get funny over money. Things like that are why I will never ever have combined finances with my SO.

sandye21's picture

Oh yes, the old double standard again! Ask him if he wants to pay your kids for all of the improvements you've paid for. Just hope you stick to your guns that whatever he gives to his DD you will be giving matching funds to your kids. It's only fair.

I lived with a double standard for decades and finally had to put my foot down. My DH and I had similar conversations to yours but eventually DH realized I would not live like that anymore.

It just floors me how we SMs are just supposed to jump with joy when our DHs want to throw us under the bus.