You are here

Concise assessment of step family dynamics

jennaspace's picture

I thought this was a helpful website. Does anyone have a good website for counselors who specialize in step family dynamics?

http://www.stepfamily.org/dynamics.html

Kes's picture

No idea - but I suspect there isn't one - do let me know if I am wrong. I read that article some time ago that you posted the link to - and thought it very good.

LilyBelle's picture

If you contact the state agency that licenses marriage and family therapists, you should be able to get a referral.

Not-the-mom's picture

I think that being here, and reading all the different issues that come up in stepfamilies, a counselor gets a "real world" view of the dynamics of what (and often does) happen in real life stepfamilies.

I always found in interesting that the counselors who specialized in dealing with widows/widowers had often not experienced being a widow/widower themselves. It wasn't until they actually had it happen to them, that they were really able to empathize with and understand the people they were counseling.

I say the same thing happens with stepfamilies. You can read a lot of "theoretical" literature, but the best source often is personal experience or listening to those who are right in the thick of it.

Depending on someone elses "interpretation" of what another person is/are going through, can inject false conclusions into the mix. I have read several articles by those who claim to be "experts" and found them wanting. I posted one of them here months ago by Dr. Phil. His advise was very naive and full of holes. Sad