You are here

Are We Dumber Than Dogs?

Not-the-mom's picture

There is this new show on TV called "Dogs In The City".

This dog behaviorist helps people train their poorly behaving dogs.

Time and time again, the dogs learn the lessons (and boundaries) with ease, but the trainer has a much more difficult time getting the owners to change their ways so things go smoothly. It's the lack of strong, consistent, clear expectations from the owners that is causing 90% of the problems with the dogs.

It makes you see how we (the stepparents and parents) are in the same boat. The skids/kids will start behaving only when WE start acting like the "alpha leaders" in the pack, and stop letting our lack of leadership skills contribute to the problems.

Woof!

Invisible Woman's picture

My dog is smarter than SS and far easier to get along with. Dogs are pack animals and wants to be with you. I adopted him from a rescue organization and he's so happy to have a home.

With SS, he wants to be alpha dog, he doesn't want to be part of our pack. The more he's told what to do, the more he refuses to do it even when there's nothing but something for him I think he believes if he does anything DH or I say, he's betraying BM or soemthing. He absolutely refuses to give up any control at all to DH or to accept us as family. There's nothing in it for him to continue to act like this but he keeps doing it.

Even dogs are smart enough to realize if they sit, they get a treat. Not SS. If we tell SS that if he goes takes a shower, we'll go out for pizza and ice cream, he won't do it even when he wants the reward. I don't understand what he thinks he gains from making our lives miserable.

misskiya's picture

This made me giggle as DH has time and again offered advice on dealing with SS5 as "It's like training a dog. You can only train one trick at a time. They have essentially the same mental capacity". Really? :?

Orange County Ca's picture

Why do you guys fight these kids? Let them stick in their room and I'll go out for pizza. I've never seen a kid starve to death in the U.S. unless they wanted to.

They're in a difficult stage of life and trying to sort it out. Leave em alone. Yes make them empty the trash but let them decide about their room and clothing (within boundaries of decency).

One time I left a vacuum cleaner outside my SD's room after vacuuming the hall. She said if that's a hint I could forget about it. I said its your room I don't care if you never vacuum when you move out we'll just toss the rug.

A few days later she vacuumed but I would not have cared if she never did.

Invisible Woman's picture

With SS I wouldn't leave him alone in the house while we went out. With a dog, you can lock them in their crate (dogs love their crates as long as you train them that they get special treats ONLY in their crate). Not skids, they tear up the house if you leave them alone.

SS's uses food/not eating as a control method. He straight out refuses to eat. He's lost over 15 pounds in the last 6 months. I had to go out and buy him pants a size smaller. We've taken him out to restaurants and he just sits there with a plate of food and an oblivious look on his face.

With dogs, its so easy. Give them food and love and they're happy. With skid, I have no idea. What type of animal would rather go hungry than eat?

old-blue-eyes's picture

I would like to train the "adult" sd to learn how to kiss my intellectual dog's ass and hope she can find it while he is blowing gas Wink I love my furry hairy friend, he gives me unconditional love. Woof & a howl to that. I would not trade him in for anything. He makes me laugh & enjoy his company.
Personally from my bright blue eye's canine...