You are here

Are good outcomes possible?

NachoQueen's picture

I just joined this group yesterday. You guys are my type of people!! I have been pretty disengaged with my SD23 since she ruined a family vacation and Christmas a few years back after a hundred other things I won't waste your time talking about. I have 2 other SS who are polite and respectful and genuienly good young adults. I have 3 Bios who are successfully launched and well-adjusted.  I have been married happily for 7 years. This particular SD23 the 'jealous of hubby's new life" girl. I don't really take it personally because she would hate anyone her daddy married. In fact.. I won't even go into the boring details of how nice and acomodating I have been because you all seem to know the script. Unlike many, my husband has been pretty supportive of me. I think he checks boxes and saves her when she needs him ($$$) but overall he doesn't like who she has become as a person and she stresses him out so he avoids her as much as he can without burning the bridge completely.

She was very disrespectful at Christmas to me, my bios and my mother. I was sick about it because my mother is elderly and my bios had traveleld 1000 miles to spend xmas with me. She was the star of that shit show for sure. I had had it! My husband drew the line and told her not to come around anymore if she would act like that. I was so happy that after years of her rudeness and disrespect, he stood up to her and protected me from the monster that he and his ex-wife created. It felt exhillarating and I felt so loved.. That lasted 10 minutes... read on...

Well....right after that we found out that she is pregnant and that has changed everything. Suddenly "she owes us an apology" has morphed into "you two need to work this out". When we first learned of the pregnancy, we made a promise to ourselves that we wouldn't help an ungrateful adult either financially, emotionally, etc. I am holding on to that promise but I am worried about my relationship. I am worried about how my husband will handle this because at the end of the day, she isn't the one that can hurt me, it is how he will handle all this that I am afraid of. I am afraid that if he doesn't draw boundaries and protect our house and life I know I will not be ok with that. I love my husband very much but I know I won't tolorate it.

She is dictating who can and can't attend gender reveal parties, showers, visitation at the hospital.. (one guess who can and can't attend) lol. And she tells my husband that she doesn't want me around the baby, etc. So far he has told her that I am his wife and if he has to miss out on those events due to her choice he will. (baby due in 3 months). But I sense his changing attitude lately, and honestly I don't want him to miss these things. I feel like bible story of cutting the baby in half. I love him enough to cry uncle and cave and not cut the baby (figuratively people). 

She dug her heels in and won't budge. I told him that I'd be open to reaching out to her first, this one time if he can tell me specifically what our/his plan of action will be to ensure the disrespect doesn't happen again. He is still thinking about that. I find myself filled with compassion for my husband and angry at the same time.

I guess I don't really have a quesiton except that I wonder if she ever got married (doubt it but never know) and if she became a stepmom, would there be an understanding of me? Does an adult stepchild right out of the movie "Mean Girls" ever grow up and  soften due to life, babies, maturity, etc? Is there anyone out there who admits that they treated their stepmom like dirt and regret it?

Are there ever good outcomes? Are people who search for this type of support forums skewing the statistics because those who happily get past these family dynamics aren't searching the internet for support and posting on boards. I want my life back, I want her to have her life. Live and let live. I hate all this and feel so much anxiety and the crappy part is that my usual support person (hubby) can't be counted on to be objective.

Is my future a foregone conclusion at this point? My husband's actions predictable? I want to hear if there are outliers?

Siemprematahari's picture

I think there is a possibility that things can work out. I say this because I like to think in a positive light but when things are beyond repair, well there is no amount of therapy that can fix that. I can imagine how it must feel for your H to be in the middle and for his daughter to "out" you that way but honestly would you want to be included in all her functions whether they are a wedding, baby shower, birthday, ect?? I know I wouldn't.

Your H can have a relationship with her, it doesn't have to include you. I just wouldn't allow her to step foot in my home, especially after the disrespect she displayed in front of you, H, your kids, and mom. She doesn't respect you, so why be around that negative energy and allow that in your life. There has to be some boundaries discussed with your H, agree/compromise, and put something in place. You have to think of your well being and mental health. Don't compromise that for anyone, regardless of what anyone thinks, you come 1st.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

you can pretty much count on it ramping up after they come along. 

A grandbaby can be a powerful weapon in the hands of a manipulative skid, but a lot depends on how much support your SD gets in her war against you. If her BM is closely involved, it makes things so much worse for you. If there are other family members (especially females) who egg her on, that's bad, too.

As for her softening towards you and wising up with time, that requires empathy, self reflection, and humility; traits many coddled skids lack.

The good news is it sounds as if your DH is a no nonsense type who's pretty loyal to you. As long as he doesn't think this baby is the second coming of Christ, there's hope that he'll maintain strong boundaries with his daughter. It's great that you've already decided as a couple not to help an ungrateful adult (how I wish we had not), and are communicating about the problem. The ball is currently in your DH's court, so just focus on maintaining a peaceful, loving home and good vibes. It may seem trite, but being that calm safe harbor provides quite a contrast to the demands and machinations of these spoilt skids, and men care a great deal about their own comfort.

Don't don't don't go overboard about the baby when it comes. Don't buy spendy gifts, and keep all responses calm and measured. The women in my DH's family freak out over every baby, no matter how unfortunate the circumstances surrounding it, and it really fosters a culture of entitlement. If becoming a mother is to be an character building event, your SD has to feel the pain and consequences of it.

SoDisappointed's picture

It’s so sad, but when skids are controlling of the parent, using the grandkids, while sick and twisted as it may seem, is a very common tactic. I saw NPD 30SS withhold visitation from my wife for 3 months until she met all of his demands. The gkids are used like pawns and will only learn that using extortion is an acceptable way to get what they want. 

I would NOT expect things to get any better once the spawn arrive. 

Patita's picture

I agree!  My step daughter has always had my mother-in-law's influence.  My mother-in-law is very manipulative and always likes to play the victim.  SD has learned to do the exact same thing.  My mother-in-law hates me and I know that is a big reason why my SD hates me now too.  My mother-in-law is the type that would turn her grand daghter against everyone including her own parents in order to be her grand dauthers best friend. 

Harry's picture

To see grandkid   She is not changing, she will be even worst then before.  It the baby is sick ect.  She will be controlling everything.  Stay away, let DH see her.  Make sure she doesn’t get constant money out of you two.  This is the hill to died on 

disrestep's picture

Well, on my past experience of having adult Sd and adult SS's trying to ruin our holidays, break us up, and playing their exclusion games of DH is invited but not Disrestep, I found they are more hateful than before. 

When DH, like yours, finally said to each of them their disrespect of his marriage, wife and toward him needs to stop, it didn't help. You think they would want their parent to be happy with someone, but no way! We thought they would at least apologize to my DH for how hateful they were to him in regard to his life, and our marriage. Oh No, not the selfish skids who believe the world needs to revolve around them and DH should leave Disrestep at home whenever they have a wedding, baby, baby showers, parties, and the like. 

My Dh told them he won't be there if his wife is not invited. Yes, they have invited me to a couple of things, just a couple, but only when the rest of DH's family is going to be there, and it would make them look bad if they didn't invite me, as they know DH would not go if they played exclusion. 

I would remind my DH of the promise we made to each other you mentioned. It sounds like your SD is already excluding you at future events regarding the birth. Will it get better? Who knows? Each person is different. I can tell you that having children, getting married and settling down did not help my adult skids become better people in regard to how they treat me and my DH. They now expect my DH to drop whatever he is doing and run to see them whenever there is a gskid event. They send DH gskid pictures all the time and use the gskids as pawn for their mean games. They wished me off the planet, so that is what they got and it works out perfect for me. 

Just be careful, as leopards do not usually change their spots. I can never believe or trust any of the adult skids or their spouses, as they have been so nasty to me. I encourage my DH to see them, but he says he doesn't want to as he doesn't like how negative they are about his marriage and knows they only contact him now when they want him to buy something for a gskid or do something with the gskids without Disrestep.

MadHatter's picture

You're so right. The Brady Bunch blended families don't show up on this forum. They have no need to. My sister's husband passed away when my niece was 24 years old. A couple of months after his death, my sister met a wonderful man, and 3 months after that, they were married. My niece has been the perfect step-daughter to him, and he loves and adores her and her kids. They are a success story. Then, there are the rest of us. 

My husbands daughter is hateful to EVERYONE (especially me, but she's hateful to her parents as well). I am completely disengaged, and she is no longer allowed in our home. DH and I have talked about his future grandchildren, and have agreed that I have no problem with him spending time with the child or with his daughter, but he won't be doing it in our home. He can go to her house to visit or babysit. There's no need for me to be invited or included in anything like the birth, the visitation, the birthday parties, because in my little world his daughter doesn't exist so her offspring won't exist either. 

I know how infuriating it can be dealing with a man who won't stand up for his wife. I left my DH for a while because of this. My only word of advice is that you shouldn't make him choose between you and his child. The child will win every time. Give him his freedom, but make it clear that you want no involvement. Disengagement can sometimes be a lonely road when the DH is off having a fabulous time without you, but try to keep in mind how happy you will be not being drug through the mud and the drama.

notasm3's picture

I have a very happy outcome. I will never see or speak to my SS again.  If DH dies before I do I doubt if I would even tell him.  Works for me.   He just lives a few miles from us.

Christmas about 4 years ago I told DH that SS33 (now) and his GF could not come for Christmas.  DH pouted for a couple of days but got over it.  I'd never met the GF at that time, but SS is a total loser/user who abuses drugs and alcohol.  Every girl I had met was a druggie skank.  No thank you for them joining Christmas activities.

A year later the GF gets knocked up.  A boy is born.  I was never included in anything - not a shower, not come meet the baby, etc.  which I was perfectly okay with.  They did seem to be living a cleaned up life so I started letting them stop by.  She kept wanting me to hold the baby.  I guess she thought I would bond with him and buy him lots of stuff.

That didn't work out.  After some horrible actions on their part they are no longer in my life at all.  They are blocked on FB and my phone.  My DH is free to see them as he wishes.  I've just told him to keep them away from me.  I refuse to let them use the baby as a pawn.

A few months ago the GF got pissed at DH because he wouldn't make me let them use my vacation  home (that I bought years before I even met DH). She told him he couldn't see the baby anymore.   I don't know much about that because I have zero to do with any of them.  The child is now 2 1/2.  My DH sees him on occasion, but I honestly don't know what kind of a relationship they do or do not have.

But the key is that my DH does not blame me or put any pressure on me to accept the unacceptable.  He did ask if I could try to accept SS when we first got together.  And I did try.  But he's just too much of a loser/user to have in my life at all.

I guess it all depends on whether you have a reasonable husband or not.

SacrificialLamb's picture

My OSD is in her 40's, has a husband and children, and she still acts the same way you describe your SD. She is very jealous that her daddy has had a new woman for the last 15 years because prior to me she was the chosen one.

Over the years she got worse, not better, I think out of frustration she had not successfully run me off.

You and your DH have to have firm boundaries or your SD will use the grandchild as a pawn and your SD will turn into mine...you have to do everything her way or you will be punished.

Rags's picture

Good outcomes are absolutely possible. 

However, there are several critical success factors for a good outcome.

1. The spouses must be equity life  partners who put the marriage and each other as the priority above all else.  PERIOD!

2. As equity  life partners the spouses are also equity parents to any kids in the picture regardless of kid parental biology.

3. There must be standards of reasonable behavior that are established and enforced in the home/blended family. 

4. There must be consistent and escalating age appropriate consequences for any violations of those standards.

5. If one partner does not like how the other parents or disciplines they must step up and get it done before the other one has to do it. If they refuse to step up then they MUST bite their tongue, have the back of the one who will get it done, only discuss it in private and NEVER in front of the kids, Xs, extended family, etc......

6. Kids are the top marital responsibility but never take priority over the spouse/marriage. EVER!  Regardless of kid biology.

7. Adult kids are held to the same standard as any other adult and if they are offensive assholes, they get a proverbial broken nose..... or if  they step over THE line... a literal broken nose.

8. Lather

9. Rinse

10. Repeat

Without these critical success factors in place .... the risk is high that it will all go down in flames.

SoDisappointed's picture

I agree. Totally. Especially with the order. The first prioriy has to be the relationship. Otherwise all the other things will be problematic because you won’t be on the same page and have each other’s backs. 

Patita's picture

Rags ~ I really like your success factors.  I'm definetly keeping a copy of this list. 

notsobad's picture

You and DH need to have a long talk about this and know exactly where each other stand.

You and she have nothing to work out. You have no obligation to SD or her child, you can be his wife and not her stepmother. You certainly do not have to be Grandma. You don’t have to go to any parties, or buy anything or even acknowledge her or the child. 

He can and should have a relationship with his daughter and her child. What that looks like is up to him. That’s what you need to discuss. How much money will he spend on her, how much of his time will he give her, where will he visit with her? What choices will he make if she wants to see him when the two of you already have plans? How will he handle her demands that he leave you to tend to her? How much money is he willing to spend on her and the child? Where will that money come from? Write it ALL down, make sure you both understand each other. Know that he’s going to spend money on her and that sometimes she’ll come before you. 

He can have a relationship with her and never discuss you or your marriage.

My Moms skids (I don’t even refer to them as stepsiblings) don’t have a relationship with her. When the granddaughters were small she tried very hard to maintain a relationship. The adult SDs were horrible to her so she disengaged. My stepdad saw his daughters and grandkids once a year, maybe. When it was all up to him and them nothing happened. 

One of the granddaughters had a baby and she reached out to my Mom. They now have a wonderful relationship. They see her and the great granddaughter 4-5 times a year (they live about 2 hours away). They get pictures and emailed updates regularly. The other granddaughter stayed with them for 3 months while she house hunted. My mom still has no relationship with one of the SDs but is cordial to her when they see her (this SD is Gma to the great granddaughter). 

Things can change but not without rules and boundaries being set. Why change when you are getting what you want?

Patita's picture

notsobad, sounds like things did improve for your mom.  It is good to see that things can get better.  I do hope my situation improves, but I dont' see how since I'm tired and don't really feel the will do work on the relationship with my SD any more.  So with that being said I guess my wishes are not realistic.  I just feel tired of feeling like the outsider.  I've always felt like I always had to prove myself worthy of being a step mom and worthy to be with my husband and always trying to basically kiss my mother-in-law's @ss.  I've been with my husband for 20 years now and I basically feel that if at this point in my life, if after being in their lives for this long and knowing them for so long and after all my effors they still don't like me, then they just never will and I'm tired.  I don't care to try any more.  I am so convinced that they will never like me so I don't care if they like me or not.  I dont' want to try anymore..  Unfortunately for me, my mother-in-law and my SD come in a package.  They are best friends so if I can't get both of them to like me then its a waste of time.  

marblefawn's picture

Yes, sometimes skids do change.

I have a friend who admits he put his SM though hell when he was younger. His dad had taken up with the "other woman." They eventually married and have been happily married now for many years.

When my friend holds big parties, it used to be his dad and SM or his mom who were invited. Recently, all three have been at his parties and it's been fine. They all came around over many years. They party in different rooms, but they're all under one roof, which is amazing to see.

When I was having so many SD problems, my friend and I talked and he admitted how awful he was to his SM, who is a gentle, submissive type who never had kids. He told me he feels awful about how he treated SM. I give him a pass because that relationship started as an affair and what kid could get over that easily?

But these are very specific personality types. Not all of we SMs would take all the crap from a skid that my friend's SM did. And not all skids have the capacity to "evolve," question their own behavior, take responsibility for their actions.

My friend is a very gentle man and an only child. I think he's seen his SM deal with his father's boisterous "me first" behavior and he could feel empathy for SM. I think his SM also helped bring around his father who was adamantly opposed to my friend being gay.

But it takes a really evolved person to change their position, give credit where it's due, and apply things they've learned in their own lives to the lives of others. Most people aren't this evolved. They get entrenched in their own pain and hurt and can't see past it to move their position.

Patita's picture

NachoQueen, I’m not an expert, but I don't think things will change.  I’m worried that if they do it will be bad.  When the baby is born, she will exclude you and your husband will have a very hard time giving you your place while wanting to be in his daughter’s life and the new baby.  I've read several things about relationships between step mothers and step daughters to see if I can find something that might help my own personal situation.   All I’ve been able to find is that step daughters tend to get very jealous of the step mother because they feel like we are an obstacle that prevents them from getting everything they want from their father.  She was about 16 when you married your husband, right?  If that is the case I fear that she may have had him all to himself for ever and she may never accept you because of that. 

I’ll share my story to see if it helps you and or to see if anyone has some helpful tips for me.  I met my husband when I was 18 and he was 21.  We were both very young and stupid.  I moved in with him when I was 19 and he was 22.  He was divorced and had a 1 year old daughter.  His marriage only lasted a few months.  We got engaged, moved in together and got married 2 years later.  We now have 2 sons together (14 and 9).  I had my first son when I was 24 and my second son when I was 29.  But before my son’s I spent a lot of time with my SD April.  Even though my husband and his x had 50/50 custody, SD was with most of the time (Mondays, Wednesdays, Friday, Saturday and Sunday every week) Needless to say I got to spend a lot of time with her.  I did everything with and for her, fed her, washed her clothes, bathed her, changed her diapers, bought her clothes, and treated her as if she was mine.  She was very spoiled and I never liked that, but could never get my husband to change his ways in that regard.  He was the typical dad who felt guilty for not providing an ideal family life situation for her daughter and as most parents in such situations, he spoiled his daughter and let her do whatever she wanted all the time.   

This didn’t stop me from getting along with her and having a good relationship.  SD has always called me by my name which I’m fine with.   SD has always had a problem with authority and respecting the rules.  When she turned 12, she started smoking pot, ditching school and had Fs all through Middle School and all through high school.  I do not know how she graduated as we used to get calls from the school all the time from the principal telling us that she would not be able to graduate due to her grades and poor attendance, but she managed to graduate.  Anyways when she turned 12 and started with the pot, and the bad grades and the ditching, she stopped wanting to come to our house.  She only wanted to be at her mom’s because there were basically no rules there to follow.  As she got older, we could not force her to come over so we started to distance ourselves.  Her relationship with her dad is bad and they barely talk.  She only calls him when she needs something ($$$) She never talks to me and makes it a point to exclude me from all of her stuff.  SD moved in with her boyfriend a year ago and is now pregnant.  SD just turned 21 in April and still very immature.  Can’t manage to stay in the same job for more than 6 months, has crashed her cars 3 times and lost her license.  The last time she came to hour house in late February she came because she wants our help ($$$) to buy a house in Colorado.  Not sure if you are familiar with the housing market in Colorado, but houses here are $UPER Expen$ive.   I have gone through different phases from being angry to being sad to not caring anymore.  I’m at a point where I don’t’ want to have anything to do with her.  I don’t’ want to see her, be near her and I resent her a lot, but don’t expect anything from her.  It is true that I raised her since she was 1, but I did that because I wanted to, not because it was my responsibility or because she asked, therefore I don’t’ expect her gratitude, however I did expect some affection from her in return, but I realize that I can’t even expect that as all I am to her is her dad’s wife and an obstacle that prevents her from getting everything she wants from her dad.  

Before SD got pregnant, she was planning on getting married in November and was planning the wedding, dress, etc., but excluded me from all of that.  Then the wedding was cancelled because she got pregnant and the baby is due in October.  She even calls my husband to ask him about the names of the Mexican grocery stores where “I “ do the grocery shopping for food and that really bothers me.  I’m the one that doe she shopping, not him, yet she is calling him to ask about my stuff, because god forbid she calls me directly.  I get that she is my step daughter and I guess I’m not supposed to expect anything from her, but I did raise her since she was 1, but that didn’t make any difference. 

I have told my husband that I’m worried her new situation will bring a lot of problems between us because he will want to see her and I don’t.  He will want to be in the kid’s life and I don’t want to.  I don’t want to get involved because I know I will get attached and SD will not like that she will likely not let me see the kid so I refuse to get attached to another child who is not mine or related to me.   I hate myself for saying this, but this is truly the way I feel.  I have told my husband that I hate the fact that we will not e able to share the moment.  He will be excited about the new grand kid and I won’t.  He will happy about it and I will not share that feeling.   He tells me that he understands, but in the end he has a soft spot for his daughter and I wonder how things will be when the baby is born. 

NachoQueen's picture

I don't expect to be friends ever with her, I just want polite, cordial pleasantries mixed with mature, unobvious avoidance at family events. That is exactly what I have had for the past few years. She is the one who drew a line in the sand which has "outed" her true feelings and will force me to be the bad guy. My husband has offered to stand up for what is right and not cave but that will eventually turn into resentment of me if he sides with me and he can't see his grandchild.  My husband still dreams about everyone loving each other. My fear is that all this one-sided drama will muddy the water and pretty soon people will see me as half to blame because she is forcing me to draw boundaries that could seem harsh to outsiders who are only exposed to her "amazing" side.

Allowing him to have a private relationship with her without me changes the entire vision of what we thought our family would look and feel like someday.. His whole family supports me and this creates so much additonal stress for all. Her mom even thinks she is out of line. (my husband's ex). What does this look like at Christmas?  Should I not go to his mom's house to celebrate because she will be there? Should I tell him that she can't come to my house???  Now I become the bad guy and I am just as immature as she is. But if I refuse to budge and refuse to be bullied... and go with my head held high at Christmas.. and she disrespects me and my husband doesn't react. I will be crushed.

We have 5 amazing kids that are normal, polite, and respectful, then there is just this one! 

#NotWhatIBargainedFor  

still learning's picture

"and go with my head held high at Christmas.. and she disrespects me and my husband doesn't react."

Been in this exact situation at Christmas a few years ago. ss32 started acting nasty to me and DH said nothing but the entire room got quiet, everyone looked shocked and avoided ss for the rest of the night. MIL came up to me later and told me that she loves ss32 but doesn't like him. My Dh's family knows what a creep ss is and has very little to do w/him. Your DH's family can see how awful SD is an no one likes it.  Rags had a great comeback to rude skids, "Does someone need a nap?"  Another thing you can do is act totally confused then move on. Brats behave like this for negative attention, do not cave.  

Patita's picture

NachoQueen, I understand exactly how you feel.  I’m in a similar situation as you.  Adult SD is pregnant and our relationship right now is non-existent.  We don’t talk to each other at all.  She is not disrespectful to me in person.  She acts polite when we are face to face, but I know that she hates me and she knows that I’ve changed too.  I don’t hate her, but I do not love her like I used to.  I no longer care to or want to be in her life and even though I’ve never told her that, I’m pretty sure she knows it.  We greet each other and then we avoid each other at all cost because it is equally uncomfortable and awkward for each other to talk.  I really have to force myself to even just say hello and I know she feels the same way. 

I used to feel a lot of resentment as I expected her to have a little affection for me. (not gratitude)  When her father and I moved in together she was only 1-year-old and is now 21.  I pretty much raised her and she spent at least 80% of the time with us. I’ve seen a lot of posts from step moms saying they expect gratitude from SDs and I disagree with that.  I may be wrong, but my view on the subject is that, my SD did not ask for anything so whatever love, attention, care, etc. I gave, I did it willingly and by choice, therefor I can’t expect anything in return, no love or gratitude.  Not even a little affection in return (I made the mistake of expecting a little bit of affection).  I understand my place.  To my SD I'm just her dad's wife.  I am my SDs step-mother, but I am not her mother, nor will I ever be.  Even when I know that I spent more time with her than her own biological mom and paid more attention to her.  Even after all that, to her I’m just her dad’s wife. 

As I said before she is not rude to me because she knows that my husband and I would not tolerate it, but she does things that show that she does not like me such as blocking me on Facebook, she always only calls her dad, never calls me or asks about me. (I used to call her and text her, but not anymore) she even calls him to ask him stuff such as grocery stores I used to go to and he doesn’t even know because I do the grocery shopping, but she will NOT call me.  When she was planning to get married just 4 months ago she called and told her dad, not me.  When she was planning her wedding, dress and stuff she excluded me from that and was inviting her grandma and great grandma to look at things in front of me, but did not invite me. Then the wedding was cancelled because she got pregnant and so she called dad and told him, but not me.  She doesn’t attack me, but she does make it a point to exclude me from her life.  That used to hurt a lot and I would be lying to you if I told you that it doesn’t hurt anymore because it still does, but not like before.   It bothers me more than I’d like to admit and I think that part of my reaction is because I want to distance myself from her because I don’t want for my feelings to get hurt anymore.

There was a gender reveal party for her and I was invited, but I didn’t want to go because I know SD only invited me because she wanted her father there plus I didn’t want to see my husband’s ex and her family.  When I met husband the ex was already out of the picture and they were divorced, but she has always hated me. I didn’t want to go because I felt horrible about having to go a party for someone who hates me and on top of that the party was going to be full of people who don’t like me because of what SD tells them about me, but I went for my husband because I knew that it would make him happy and frankly he is the one person that matters. 

Now I’m being asked my mother-in-Law to make a cake and to help plan SDs baby shower and I don’t’ want to be a part of it because I know that they both hate me and frankly I can’t believe that she had the nerve to ask me to do that for my SD.  My biggest concern today is what will happen when the baby is born.  I no longer care to have a relationship with SD as I know that she hates me.  And I don’t feel happy and excited for her.  To be honest I kind of feel sorry because she is only 21 and very immature.  I feel that it was a big mistake to get pregnant, but that is a whole different topic.  I’ve told my husband that I’m worried about how this will affect our marriage.  I know he wants her in his life, but I don’t.  I hate that he will be happy to see his grandkid and I will not be able to share the same excitement.  I hate that we will not share that journey, but more than anything I worry about how that will affect our marriage.  I have told my hubby all of this and I have told him that I do not wish to be in the grandkid’s life as SD and I don’t even talk.  I don’t want to get attached to a child that is not mine again.  It is hard to go through that.  Our boys are 14 and 9 and I feel like I will have to wait to enjoy those things later in life.  I don’t know if I’m wrong, but that I the way I feel and my feelings are very strong.

still learning's picture

Cut DH loose in regards to his daughter. Let them have their little love fest and don't demand anything except for your own peace of mind in your home.  sd doesn't want you to see the baby, great! More time to watch Netflix while DH is off visiting.  SD doesn't want to appologize or be respectful, oh poo, Guess you'll have to visit her at her home DH.  

You will have to draw boundaries around your joint finances but other than that let do his thing.  It's exhausting trying to control everything and in the end these men will go behind your back anyway to pacify their adult children.  

stepper47's picture

I enjoy your sense of humor, first of all :)  I just wanted to chime in and say, I was a stepkid.  My 2nd stepmother has been in My life since i was 12.  I was not a combative kid or teenager I was more emotional.  She doesn't have kids of her own and comes across very dominant.  I have never felt close to her, even though she went through the motions of being a loving stepmother, I always had the feeling it was conditional (which proved to be true, more than once). I can now say after being a stepmother to a girl that I have found a better perspective from her side of things.  I do have a little more understanding, and I think we could have bonded over that if she hadn't cornered my husband at work last year to tell him what a horrific and awful person I was.....because I postponed hosting Christmas dinner until the week after Christmas.  I have since decided she really is nuts and I don't need that in my life.  I can empathize from afar.  lol   But hopefully having a child will start to soften your SDs edges, and some day if she finds herself in our role may be some understanding will break.  Here is hoping anyway Smile

marblefawn's picture

NachoQueen, if his whole family supports you, including his ex (!!!!), I wouldn't avoid her at family functions. Go and hold your head up high and know someone has your back. I don't think it's worth the risk of looking as bad as she does when you know others support you. If she behaves badly, it will just prove what they already think.

Honestly, if just one person had my back in my husband's family, if just one of them had ever told me if wasn't me, I think that would have meant so much. You don't want to squander by losing touch with his family.

I don't think I'd waste time attending when it's just your husband and her. You don't need the agitation. But as long as she tolerable at family functions, I'd show up just to show the rest of them you're better than she is.

NachoQueen's picture

I love these boards!! Where have you all been for the past 7 years? My husband and I met and married in our early 40s so no common children. We always assumed we would be grandparents together and dreamed about spoiling them and loving them, etc. I counted the days until SD23 became an adult so all the greif could be behind us. All the guilty-dad crap done! And interactions with BM would fade away... I am realizing this may never happen.  

All the advice given makes sense and  I could easily not engage with her but I would grieve the hopes and dreams that we had. The financial burdens worry me too. I know when the baby is born she will cry poor and hubby will tell me that he can't allow his grandbaby to not have diapers, food, etc. 

I worry about who I will become then because I am usually pretty passive but I won't be able to allow that!  We both work our a$$es off. We have saved and denied ourselves for the better of our future. We have worked so hard saving to buy rental homes, fixing them up for months, etc. All so we can create passive income to retire early.. and dang.. we are so close.

What financial advice would you offer for grandbaby guilt? Anyone have the advantage of hindsight and woulda, coulda, shoulda? Does anyone have any good comebacks or one-liners to use when hubby comes to me to say that he wants to give her $$ for formula, doctors bills, food, legal fees for custody battles (cuz that is definitely a comin')  because llifelong leeches are not stupid enough to ask for money for Iphones, Xbox games, designer purses and other things that we know they have right???? I need to arm myself because these requests are all coming soon and I want to be prepared with reasonable boundaries.

sandye21's picture

Is it possible to divide your finances?  My DH and I have separate bank accounts but we contribute an equal amount into a joint fund to be used for our living expenses only.  Whatever he gives to SD comes out of his pocket.  I refuse to give money to people who treat me badly or I don't like.

Make sure your DH is also putting money away for retirement.  For years DH placed money into SD's bank account instead of saving up for retirement.  Now, if something drastic came up I don't know if he would have the funds to take care of it.  Be careful.