You are here

Small Pet Peeve in need of a good comeback....

NachoQueen's picture

First of all my husband is pretty special. We have successfully navagated many pitfalls as we are about to celebrate 7 years of second-marriage'dom"... BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, maybe about one time per year he says something like this....

Wow, he looks great, I haven't seen him since my wedding. 

He is speaking about his 1990 wedding, not the one to me. It bugs me because there is some sort of a dig somewhere in that comment about OUR wedding. Like it doesn't count as the "real" wedding, or that it is 2nd in line of importance. The only true wedding is the first one.... but as an emotianally mature, pick-your-battle kind of girl, I have let every occasion slide because in the end I know I am loved and I hate to nag.

Anyone have a good response for the next time that will send him the message that OUR wedding counts and OUR weddding isn't second to anyone???  Without actually picking a fight, using humor or something that is light but to the point?

Thanks!

ldvilen's picture

I'd just reply back to him, "Which one?"  You could then add after a slight pause. . . "The first one or the best one?"

notasm3's picture

A friend of mine married a widower.  His wife had been deceased for about 3 years before she met him.  They dated for a couple of years after that.   He was a lovely man, but he constantly talked about his "wife" - meaning his deceased wife.   I don't know if it bothered my friend that much, because he unfortunately had a stroke and died too young himself.

Areyou's picture

Just get pissed off and start yelling at him, then leave and don't talk to him the rest of the day. He wont do it again after that. 

Areyou's picture

Yes of course, but what I'm getting at is that the best come back is a direct "I do not like that, you need to stop it." 

Merry's picture

My DH has done that, or occasionally refers to his exwife as his wife. He means no harm, and I take it as a slip of the tongue. They were married a long time.

But I do say, "Are you taking about your practice wedding? Or the real one?"

Kes's picture

I understand.  I would be pissed off too, if DH used the phrase "my wedding" to refer to his debacle with NPD BM.  He never has, I think out of respect to me and our relationship.  If your DH had said "since I married BM" it would have been OK, I think.  "My wedding" sounds a bit too - I dunno - possessive?  like he still has a stake in it. 

NachoQueen's picture

OMG Great one!! I knew you guys could help me. I really like handling things with humor and not starting fights so these are great!

Major Blunder's picture

" I don't remember him at OUR wedding, oh you mean The Titanic, Gotcha "  and quietly walk away......................