You are here

Need help explaining why exactly I am angry

NachoQueen's picture

Back story... 8 years ago... I worked too hard initially to try to get my SD to like me.. Guilty as many, I was that 'trying to hard' to please her stepmom who thought that being nice and acomodating would earn her admiration. Of course now I know that didn't work. She actually enjoyed the power that gave her. After a few years I realized I should just disengage. Attention-seeking people who had others fawning all over them don't like being ignored. It almost had the oppostie effect. She likes snapping her fingers and watching people jump. It is who she is, it is who my DH and his EX created. Not my doing but I was no longer partipating.

Fast forward to many ruined holidays, vacations, weddings that always somehow revolved around her arriving late, not at all, with an attitude. I will spare all the details because I assume if you are reading this and on this forum, you already can imagine.

There was a particular event that set my DH off. He was finished. He told her she was no longer welcomed in our home with her "my dog just died" face. She owed us an apology and he was done!!!!  At that moment, she decided to announce to him.. "THATS FINE, GOOD RIDDANCE, BY THE WAY I AM PREGNANT"

Three months into the peaceful silence, she reached out to meet him for dinner. Ever the puppy he was anxious for her crumbs, he agreed to meet her and when he got home he told me everything is about her hating me. (Mind you I had disengaged about 4 years earlier). Of course nothing specific I had done.. of course because I hadn't really conversed with her or been alone with her for many many years. But we all know she hated that he loved me, she hated that her dad was happy, she hated that I was on to her and ignored her. 

Now the "you owe us an apology" had morphed into "you and my wife need to work this out" HAHAHAHA... as if i even participated in anything. 

Finally about a month before the baby was due, my DH asked me to please reach out since she wasn't about to apologize and he wanted to play grandpa. I told him it was against my better judgement but I wrote her a very factual letter that was very respectful but basically said, we don't have to "work anything out" if we can be cordial to each other that is enough.  I thought I had taken the high road when a few weeks later the answer to my letter came as an agreement to be cordial with a scathing list of how horrible I was and to stay out of hers and her dads relationship. The funny thing is that they aren't that close, never were and now I become the scapegoat for that. 

Anywoo.. my DH begged me to just not respond and see how it goes, I tell him this is the last chance. If she is cordial all will be fine. (because I am ALWAYS cordial). 

Fastforward to now. baby is born, things are a bit awkward but she treats me like a mother-in-law she doesn't care for. Obligatory pleasantires, etc. This is all I could ever hope for and if it stays like this forever, I am blessed. (wanna bet it won't tho)?

Last night she calls. Mind you, she has a college degree and never quite found her niche. (hahahah). She calls my husband to tell him she has decided that she really wants to get a job at (fill-in-the company that a close relative of mine works at). So my DH asks me what I think about that. When I wasn't jumping up and down with joy, he proceded to tell me that he would call (fill-in the name of my close relative) tomorrow and for me not to worry. I told him to have her call me. I think that would be the proper channel/lesson for her. At least make her squirm a bit to call me for a favor no? He may have called my relative today and if he does I'd be so mad.

Here is my quesiton. Obvi, I am super pissed that little-Miss "I"m not good enough for her dad, and leave me alone" now wants to use my contacts to secure a better job and circumvent me. The problem is that my husband and I are pretty low-key, respectable "think before you speak" kind of people. How do I articulate to him why this upsets me.

Here is my unfiltered view. If she wants to now use me, she should have to call me, be nice to me, confirm the value I provide, etc. She is always finding work-arounds to get her way, stomp her feet and come out with a great job, etc. I need the filtered articulated words to explain to my DH if you know what I mean, without sounding like I dont' want her to get a job there (that isn't the point) . Give me the words people!! 

tog redux's picture

I'm the direct sort - I'd just say, huh, interesting. Well, given how she's treated me, I don't exactly feel like helping her out.

BUT, I have to say, I would not play nice-nice with my DH if he asked me to try to repair a relationship that I DIDN'T BREAK, with his entitled spawn . I wouldn't be dancing around the issue like you are.

So - why are you afraid to tell DH how you feel? That he enables his daughter to treat you badly, and while you appreciate he wants to see his grandchild, you aren't going to apologize for things you never did. And that since you've been disengaged for many years, you can't possibly be the problem. Therefore, he needs to man up and tell his daughter that you aren't to blame and he'd love to have a relationship with her and grandkid, but not at your expense. So there will be no apology coming from you, and she can take that or leave that.

Chmmy's picture

I would tell my relative what i really think of this little girl. Im honest with my family about my skids and since we all love DH we tolerate them but certainly dont trust them or do them any favors that would require sticking oir neck out and getting someone a job is sticking her neck for your skid who treats you like crap

lala-land's picture

Madam,  It sounds like you are upset because someone with whom you have at best a distant and difficult relationship wants to use you to get a job.  Your SD has called you horrible and blames your for what are essentially her problems.  Your SD takes no responsibility for herself and enlists your DH to fix her messes, which in turn cause problems in your marriage.  Would you want to hire this immature, spoiled brat with anger issues?  Could you recommend anyone hiring her, especially a close relative? Your DH needs to be informed that it is inappropriate for your SD to approach you or any of your family for any favours, given her current and past behaviours, and her apparent inability to deal with you in a respectful and mature manner.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

I agree with lala-land, you are peeved because after being ignored by this SD, she NOW wants to use your relative to get her a job.  And I don't blame you at all.  She is a USER.  And, I suspect you are not the type to call your relative and tell him not to hire her, give her a reference to someone etc.  It is hard to be stuck in that position and would tee me off too.

Let it go and just hope she doesn't get an offer.  You might put the bug in your relative's ear that she can be difficult to work with, but make it nice and informative, like you don't want him to recommend someone who is trouble, but not catty.

Ispofacto's picture

I wouldn't want my name and reputation attached to the recommendation of a tantrum-throwing bish like her, no way.

You're not good enough for her but she wants a favor from you.  Wtf.

Merry's picture

You are angry because SD is inserting herself into your family and your close relationships because she wants something for herself and she is STILL unwilling to acknowledge you. She's made it plain that she has no use for you, yet she is using you.

I'd be on the phone to my relative. You will be blamed anyway if SD doesn't get the job she wants in the company she's identified, so you might as well make sure your relative has the whole picture.

Winterglow's picture

Me too.

I'd be on the phone to my relative too  to give them a heads-up so that they know the request has absolutely nothing to do with you.

joan mary's picture

You are pissed because you are expected to say nice things about someone who has never said anything nice to you or about you.   

My perspective would be to call the close relative (before you go home) and inform give an honest opinion of the girl.  If she is a drama queen who leans toward manipulation - so be it.  If you think she is a hard working, smart employee, pass that on also.  Once you get home, inform you DH that you already called and given the relative the heads up for the application and the reference (a bad reference is still a reference).  

If DH asks what you said, tell him that it is none of his business, references are your personal opinion and he is not entitled to insert his opinion of his dd into your reference.  

notasm3's picture

You are approaching this wrong (in my opinion).  When someone hates your guts you just remove that person from your life.  Totally.  If you happen to be in her vicinity at a function (which by the way should NEVER be in your home) you nod at most and avoid her.

And then you need to tell your DH to STOP talking to you about her.  This is HIS daughter and his relationship with her should not be your responsibility in any way shape or form.  There's no need for her name to ever even cross your lips again.   You should not forbid your DH from seeing her - but he should never dump plans or holidays with you to go see her.

I am living this, and it works beautifully.  My husband has a son who has lived with his "fiance" for about 4 years and they have a 3 year old child.  I have 100% banned them from my life.  They absolutely unconditionally do not exist as far as I am concerned.  I truly do not hate them (although I do think they are horrible people).  I don't care if they have a great life or if they drop dead.   Those two are just people that I happened to know in the past.

My DH is free to see and talk to his son.  But he also knows better than to come tell me stuff about them or what they say about me.  It took a little bit - but when I do hear something it does NOT help.  For example - after they entered our home while we were on vacation, ransacked it, and helped themselves to $100s worth of our (mostly my) belongings - they NEVER once apologized.  And the only message I ever received 2nd hand at that was that "I need to get over it."

It was sometimes tempting to tell them what disgusting POSs they are - but I abstain.  For my part I do not go on about how worthless and horrible they are.  Today at lunch my friend was telling me about how her next door neighbors (who I also know) fired their housekeeper who was drinking their booze.  They marked the bottle before she arrived and checked it as she was leaving.  My friend said maybe she was emptying it into another container to take home.  I just repressed my desire to say "Yes maybe that's what SS did as FIVE 1.7 litre unopened bottles were emptied down to one inch".  But to be kind to my DH (who was with us) I said nothing.   I  just tell my DH to keep them away from me - I do not add the narrative as to why they are so horrible.

Now as to your SD wanting a job with a company your relative works - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just send your relative a simple text (or more if you want) that you absolutely do not recommend her.  As a person who worked in a  corporate environment for decades you are not doing anyone any favors by letting someone hire a potential problem.  I don't think you should go into details about how she treated you.  Just - a simple "she is not someone that I think you should consider" is sufficient.  If they then decide to hire her - then that is on them.

Missingme's picture

Well, I must say I wholeheartedly disagree from the whole "ban them from your life" thing.  Maybe you have children with your husband?  Because, if not, you are risking losing the man you love by "banning" his children from your life.  That means that they'll rarely, if ever, want to see their dad and that would make him angry with his wife, the stepmom.  No way.  While banning them from her life would feel awesome, she'd really be dooming her marriage.  Banning them is rejecting HIS KIDS!  Not smart, imo.  NachoQueen has everything to lose by totally banning this spawn and that does suck!

Rags's picture

Your contact, she calls you.  DH needs to vector his toxic crotch twinky to you if she wants to engage  your network to beg for a job.

IMHO of course.

strugglingSM's picture

What would bother me in this situation is the fact that your DH allows his daughter to disrespect you and then expects you to do a favor for her. Even using your contacts without involving you, is you doing her a favor. He should have told her that if she wanted you to help her out, by reaching out to your relative, then maybe she should have treated you better. He seems like he's an enabler and a guilty dad. Now he's dragging you into this to help his "precious little princess." 

ndc's picture

Putting aside your SD's venom for you, is she good at what she does?  Would she be a good employee?  If not, I'd tell my husband that under no circumstances could I recommend her, so there will be no phone call to the relative.  And if he makes one anyway, you need to follow up with your relative to let him/her know that you are NOT recommending SD.  If yes, then I'd stick to my guns and tell DH that she needs to ask YOU, not him.  And if he goes around you by calling the relative directly, I'd probably follow up with a call to tell them that while you have no reason to think she wouldn't be a good employee, she's a horrible person who treats you badly and that is why the call came from your husband instead of you.  I would not put myself on the line to help someone who has treated you terribly unless she gives you a reason to do so (i.e., offering an apology, treating you better, etc.)

Missingme's picture

Assuming that NachoQueen is a nice person (I don't have any reason to doubt her.) and is telling it how it is, why would anyone want to hire a disrespectful, spiteful spoiled brat?  No, she wouldn't make a good employee, but rather a nasty, gossipy, hateful coworker.  

sandye21's picture

It sounds like it is unanimous.  Tell DH to deal with SD on his own, he can visit her any time except important together time, you do not owe her an apology or anything else, and be sure to call the relative and let them know how you feel about her.  If she is as immature and selfish as she sounds, you would be doing your relative a favor by giving them a 'heads up'.  Then, continue on with disengagement - including not listening to anything to do with SD.  She doesn't deserve your attention or time.  Your DH is, like mine, afraid of confrontation or rejection from SD, and caters to her at your personal expense.  That is his choice but there are consequences - and he should be aware of it.

shamds's picture

My ss wants to spend holidays next year at my family home in my country. This 20yr old ss is tthe most laziest, self centred, can’t give a shit about anyone, has not acknowledged me and our 2 kids with his dad and ignores me. Life at home with him is so uncomfortable and unbearable and he claims he’s so stressed to be a basic human being with basic manners and respect

now i have lived over 4 yrs like this, going back to my country to visit my dad every year is heaven and time to just destress, now ss wants to enjoy staying at my family home with the same behaviour and character (in my dads home) because i come from a first world country while he and hubby are from an asian country.

that to me was ss trying to benefit off me when he has never been cordial or respectful or decent from day 1. I shut that down real quick...

i totally get you saying she should have the decency to come to you. If i were you i’d tell your relative to tell you of she or hubby calls asking for a favour, then tell him in advance all her typical character traits and if she’s not suitable for the job, she shouldn’t have the nerve asking for favours

most bosses can pick up people who have a bad work ethic or character issues

Healyourslf's picture

It's like the G20 summit of step life. <just read the Wall Steet Justification so my mind is on concessions> Anyway, to concede or not to concede?  Because of your history and emotional entaglements in this step drama, it seems best to approach the situation with DH from an unemotional, business stance.  You have some obscurity of feelings for SD so take a stand if your are disengaged and stick to it.  You are allowing yourself to get tossed back into the volley because the job contact is YOUR relative - an extension of YOU. Do your really want a phoney, brown-nosing response from SD? 

Underneath your tension is probably anger at being disrespected. I wouldn't feel any different if SD wanted to borrow my car, my shoes, my earrings or my business contacts. The answer would be NO.  It's not about control. It's about trust and respect. You don't get anywhere in business by burning bridges and that is exactly what your SD has done with you. Desrespectful, manipulative, entitled people (whether they are your SD or not) who leave havoc in their wake do not get favors. They need to learn the art of bridge-building, but when daddies step in to be the structural support, the construct will collapse.

Why would you even consider opening the door - let alone providing a positive reference for anyone who may compromise your credibility?  Behavior and personalities are not limited exclusively to family drama. We are what we are despite job descriptions and titles.  

There's no return on investment here for you. DH is in the mindset of "favor for favor" with SD. He's expecting something in return and it may backfire on him. Let it be his handshake.  From what you've relayed in the post, DH has “pooled” you into situations before and you chose to oblige only to regret it.  Paving the way for princess' job softens the alienation blow for DH. Talk about brown-nosers.

DIRECTIONS:

Step One - Place the dysfunctional baggage squarely on DH's back. 

Step Two - Give "nothing" to SD – either negative or positive. 

Step Three - Allow DH to play the role of business bridge and when SD does not get the job, stand clear of the backlash. Allow shit it to hit DH in the face. 

Nepotism Disclaimer:  Family members who are involved in hiring should do so based on experience and qualifications.  "Find my niche" candidates are unlikely to be selected.

Siemprematahari's picture

There is no way in H@LL that I would contact my relative to help that disrespectful & ungrateful SD....EVER! She can take her entitled @ss with her H and baby and never contact you again. She's only reaching out because she needs that favor. She could care less about you and respect you as a person. All she wants is that connection that only you can provide. Your H has some nerve to even think that this is ok.

I hope you don't entertain this in anyway. She doesn't deserve it and she doesn't deserve you helping her out and doing her any favors after all that's she's done.

TwoOfUs's picture

So - another quick thought about why you're angry. 

There's this great episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David hires an assistant based on Jimmy Kimmel's recommendation...only to discover that she's terrible. He can't fire her because she has some kind of tragic, sad backstory. He confronts Kimmel and says he "foisted" this assistant on him...and Kimmel admits that's exactly what he did. 

You're looking at this situation...and your DH has ALREADY "foisted" his daughter and the responsibility for his crappy relationship with her onto you...and now together, they're trying to "foist' her onto one of your close relatives. The disfunction is spreading! 

Seriously, though. I distinctly remember this vague feeling that, in DH's mind, everything I am and anything I have is fair game if it can create an advantage for one of his kids in some way...whether I wanted to give it or not. It gets exhausting...and you end up feeling like you have nothing that's really your own and zero control or say over your own life. 

Boundaries are hard to set...but you have to do it. Quit allowing him to foist his daughter on you. She's made it very clear she's not interested in a relationship with you...and that should be the end of it. 

NachoQueen's picture

You guys seriously are the best. I love reading all these comments, they give me strength to not believe the narritive of others who want me to believe I am being unreasonable. I am in a place now where I completely regret ever extending that pregnancy olive branch to her because I loved when I didn't have to hear her name or think about her..  My real problem I guess is that I am afraid that my husband will disappoint me and I will be forced to make a decision I don't want to make. In my other life, I was previously very happily married for 19 years until my ex had a mid-life crisis and left. My ex never misses an opportunity to tell our 3 children how much he regrets it and how it was the most selfish thing he ever did.  I met my 2nd husband a few years later and he seemed so perfect. I thought I had a second chance at the happy married life I was meant to have. I felt so lucky that he was very strong and able to create boundaries with his daughter right from the start and suddenly the whole energy of my life has changed with the birth of this grandbaby. I fear I am destined to this life that I don't want to be honest.

Nacho, your life is whatever YOU make it to be. No one has that type of power over you UNLESS you allow it. I'm sorry for how things turned out in your 1st marriage. I can only imagine just how remorseful your ExH must be knowing what he had in you, but that's the past and now you have this dilemna with your H to deal with.

You said" My real problem I guess is that I am afraid that my husband will disappoint me and I will be forced to make a decision I don't want to make."

^^^^^^^^^^^^I hope he doesn't disappoint you but if he does, my hope is that you stand up for youself and remain firm in your stance regarding his daughter. She has no right to disrespect you and your H allow it. You have done more than enough and are not obligated to give anything more. Don't allow your H to let his daughter use you for her own personal gain. You are worth more than that!

Rags's picture

When it comes to considering hiring or referring someone for a job I classify them into three groups.

1. People I would hire or refer with zero concern that they will do a great job.

2. People I would hire directly if they were reporting to me but would not refer to others for  hire. (I have a few of these in my Rolodex.  People who are good at what they do and good people but have quirks that I am fully familiar with and can mange and work around but would not go over well with others.)

3. People that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I would either hire or refer to anyone, anywhere for any reason.

NachoQueen's picture

OMG i just found out that my DH emailed my relative yesterday and she told him politely to go through me, then SD emailed her too!!!  I texted him and said why would you reach out to my family member after we agreed that it was best that SD go through me?  And why would you give SD my family members email address: We agreed that it might be a gesture of good will that I could provide to her. He said I have a lot on my plate and trying to make too many people happy, don't read into it! I am just trying to help my daughter. I am so angry that he will spin this on me.

I am angry that I live 1000 miles from my 2 daughters and with this he shows me that he prefers her happiness over mine. I am angry that I will get home and he will call me overly sensitive. Help! I feel like I am just finding out where I stand in my marriage.

TwoOfUs's picture

Hahahahaha! 

He's "trying to make too many people happy" is he?! 

I'd say that's his problem. I'd also say it's not about "maintaining the peace" or "making you happy" at the expense of his daughter (as if he'd ever). It's about respecting your very clear boundaries as his wife. Seriously. How difficult is it to tell your adult daughter to talk to her SM if she wants a favor from her? It's the simplest thing in the world. My DH does it all the time (Oh...you want to come over and bring a friend? And you want some dinner to be served? Better ask TwoOfUs...that's her department. Or...you want TwoOfUs's brother to fix your computer for you? Better call or text her and see if she'll ask him. It's really very, very basic manners.) 

Above all...I just can't believe how rude and entitled both your DH and SD are. They really are a pair...and I'm super angry for you. 

Rags's picture

He  needs an abjectly miserable lesson that the only person he needs to focus on making happy... is  you.

He is playing games, he got smacked by your friend.  Hopefully SD got smacked by your friend as well.

Keep smacking!!!!!

Monkeysee's picture

Woahh hang on, why is it that YOU need to offer a gesture of good will in the first place by offering SD your relatives email? Your H needs a kick in the a$$ for what he’s doing to you. 

SD needs to make the gesture of good will, not you. I don’t care how many people he’s trying to ‘keep happy’. 

1. You & SD aren’t equals, she is lower than you in the hierarchy, and you shouldn’t have to compete with her or buy into any kind of a relationship like this. It gives her way too much power, and it’s not healthy

2. Your H is excusing himself of EVERY part he’s played in this mess, and conveniently placing it back on your shoulders. And of course he is, because that makes his life easier. How nice for him

3. Both your H & his kid have now gone behind your back to message YOUR family member to do a favour for someone who’s called you horrible names, treated you with disrespect, and wants nothing to do with you. At this point, I’d be hard pressed not to send a message to my relative to say, ‘I don’t think she’s a good fit for your company’, and leave it at that

4. You don’t owe SD anything. Your H owes you a massive apology, and your SD needs to be put back in her little box where she belongs

I am fuming for you. How dare he do that!

sandye21's picture

What both your DH and SD did was unacceptable.  I believe that we don't always have to take the 'upper road'.  Sometimes we need to get down in the dirt for a short while to make our point, then get up and brush ourselves off.  As others have suggested, call your relative and let them know SD is NOT someone you would recommend for a job.  You don't have to say anything to DH or SD.  But I WOULD look into what seems like DH's preference of SD over you, even if he has to betray you.  Possibly see a counselor by yourself to gain the self confidence to give DH the choice of acting like a real Husband or paying the consequences.  I wouldn't allow this from my DH - you shouldn't either.

Ispofacto's picture

"DH emailed my relative yesterday and she told him politely to go through me, then SD emailed her too!!!"

I believe she already blew it for herself.  Instead of applying for the job based on her merits, she contacted the hiring manager directly without going through you.  And she had her daddddeeee contact the hiring manager.  This reminds me of the funny stories I hear about helicopter parents that attend their kids' job interviews, or call the hiring manager to rant about junior not getting the job.  It's a huge red flag.

And I agree with others.  Your DH is playing the victim, he's only trying to make one person happy, because he expects leniency from you.

Winterglow's picture

"I have a lot on my plate and trying to make too many people happy"

And the really stupid part is that he's too blind to actually understand that you are the only one he has a HOPE of ever making happy!

Nacho, Your H has a lot of balls to contact your relative and to give SD the info after you both had an agreement. Don't you see the lines they are crossing especially your H?? You both agreed that this situation has to go through you and he still dismissed what you both agreed on and did what he wanted to do anyway. He's trying to please too many people but guess what.....you are not one of them. I don't know if this is difficult for you but you have to make this a big deal and I feel he violated big time.

I'm glad your relative directed it towards you and this should only be confirmation that this dynamic is toxic and hope you DO NOT recommend SD for this job.

You are clearly not priority nor is he respecting what you think or say. Please put your foot down. This would be reason enough for me to raise H@LL.

Stepaside-1987's picture

I agree you are not the one he wants to make happy.  I would be livid and I am livid for you!  I admit I am not one that likes confrontation but in this case - I would be coming home with gloves on.

I am not as experienced as the others - it is easy to sit behind a computer and say what I would do in this situation.  I am one who needs time to calm down because I do have a bad temper and when I do blow - I can be mean, in this case I would not hold back -  hell would be raised.  He taught her that no matter what she is going to get her way and that she is above you. The fact you both agreed and he didn't have the balls to tell her that she has to go through you  - speaks volumes.  I am glad your relative told them they had to go through you.  I don't know what else to say other than I am sorry.  

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Time to be the bigger bi!ch, Nacho. Lace up your thigh high bi!ch boots and school your H that YOU are the one he needs to make happy if he wants peace and comfort.

Manginas like your H follow the path of least resistance, and it seems as if you've allowed him and his daughter to mistake your kindness for weakness. Rain h@llfire down on him! Teach him that crossing you in order to please his daughter will always result in pain.

My DH knows that 95 percent of the time, I'm a nice person. But he's got a healthy respect for that other 5 percent, and that's what you need to instill in your man.

MissTexas's picture

Nacho...very sorry to hear how this has played out.

1. DH wanting you to make amends with SD bc of the grandbaby is selfish, not tomention him expecting your blessing on her job front. Know that this is guilt talking. It is the worst emotion to try to reverse.

2. Disengage and stay that way. You are the can of Raid, she is the roach.

3. I wouldn't call the relative, but I would deal with DH. SD will lead herself to the business guillotine. She hasn't proven very effective inthe past. With a new baby, there will be the expectation of missed days of work  (my thoughts from being on an interviewing panel), and if she's always found a way to work her way into a job, let her.(elsewhere, of course). These employers are very skilled in sniffing out the rats.

4. Any attempt on SDs behalf to make "amends" would be feigned, so what would be the point?

5. I share your disgust/concern about disrespecting your husband, as DH has a history of putting  SD first in all he does. The ring master sometiems uses hand signals to get the monkeys under control, but when these are no longer effective  he/she breaks out the whip, the monkeys seem confused at first, but through conditioned response they learn the new signal/symbol. It's time to find your "whip."

Ozlady's picture

Hey, I haven’t read all of the above responses but agree with many that you need to make it clear to your DH that you are upset about the SD & his behaviour. My take on this in our current situation with a difficult SD and grandchildren is to keep a dignified silence, I simply do not respond to her nonsense. In your case if he asked me about the job I would respond with, “a professional would submit her application and be happy to accept a position on merit, qualifications and experience” and if she wasn’t game enough or polite enough to speak directly to me (in person so I could watch her squirm) I would do nothing at all to help. Good luck

NachoQueen's picture

I love this forum. I can't emphasize enough how helpful it is to hear the voice of reason. Sometimes when you are in a situation and someone is pissing on your leg and telling you it's raining... you need the outsider's perspective to remind you it is actually pee, not rain. I also want to clarify some of the details. My relative is a sibling of mine who is very much aware of SD personality and her attitude towards me and has been for quite a few years. In the interest of helping.. my sibling may be willing to help get her this job because it may help her become more independant and since I am married to her dad, this indirectly helps me. But the verdict is still out on whether or not my sibling gives the green light.

I decided to confront and make my DH really uncomfortable. I realized that my husband was jumping through hoops to make SD happy because he felt that he could more easily smooth things over with me. (Relationship management). I gave him a smal sampling taste of what life could look like if he ever does this again. (thanks to you guys). I put my big girl panties on and make a huge deal about this. I didn't even cry when I confronted him which is a big win for me because I always cry when I am angry.. (separate post someday...different problem). I was so mad that I honestly felt that I had nothing to lose and you guys gave me this courage and reassurance that I wasn't crazy. He was extremely apologetic and agreed that I had every reason to be angry.  He said that he emailed my sibling because he didn't want his daughter blind-siding her and wanted to give her a heads up. Anyway, thanks for the gut check.

Ispofacto's picture

So it's easier to apologize afterwards than do the right thing.  And you will forgive him, as planned.  My DH pulls manipulative bs like this.  I feel more like his parent than his wife the way he grovels after he does something crappy.  Not sexy.

Merry's picture

My DH has also apologized to me profusely. Yet, the behavior rarely changes. By his own admission, he is so caught up in pleasing his kids that he forgets boundaries.

Oh, don't let that depress you though. I've learned to deal with it. DH responds to the "Mom" eyebrow or a sarcastic "really?" I'm pretty straightforward with him these days and have no trouble saying, "You have fun, but I'm not doing that." Or similar. This ability to BE straightforward has come from years of turning myself inside out to "understand" and "support" and "be the adult" and crying in absolute frustration with all of it. Well, eff that.

Take care of yourself. This stuff gets easier. 

SacrificialLamb's picture

I think it's important for our DH's to not take us for granted. My DH considers his family unreasonable drama lovers and that I am the easy one to smooth things over with. But I got tired of being sacrificed due to their unreasonableness, and I made it clear. Those incidences don't happen anymore, thankfully.

Nacho, so happy that your H apologized and saw your side of it......However I do have to disagree with this:

"my sibling may be willing to help get her this job because it may help her become more independant"

^^^^^^^Whether its your sibling or not, no one in the world and not even a job can make your step daughter be or want to be independant. If I'm not mistaken SD has shown a history of being inconsistent, I promise this job will be no different. On another note I'm glad for this victory and wishing you the best.

bertieb's picture

I'm glad you were able to talk to your husband, this is always a struggle for me when it comes to my feelings about his kids. He can criticize them but if I bring up the same type issue I can feel hiim getting defensive even if he agrees with the facts. My husband would have done exactly as yours did, sending the email and getting involved. Let us know if she ends up with the job and ever acknowledges the help having a contact gave her.

sandye21's picture

This is one of those situations where you will forgive but NOT forget.  You have let DH know there will be no more promoting SD at your personal expense.  This is a boundary you must hold in place.  Don't ever allow it again.  One thing I made the mistake of doing was forgiving and then, when DH again sacrificed my personal welfare for SD's whims, there we were, reestablishing the same boundaries.  Your DH apologized - that's great.  He must also acknowledge that he will never place SD's needs above yours again.

still learning's picture

I wouldn't even talk to DH about it because you already know it's just going to cause more her vs.you issues and do you really want her fake niceness and kow towing. The best thing you can do is let DH make his call for precious princess but first give your relative a heads up about what a wretched *B* she is and how she really treats people.  

Missingme's picture

Hades, no, you don't help her!  She's a complete loser who wants to use you now after all the hatred?!  Emphatically, no, and why not tell him why??  Also, if she's this much of a douche, she'll screw up your relationship and your reputation with the person you know at the company.  I'm so darn sick of these entitled, spoiled brat, disrespectful users.  Okay, now that I've calmed my little self down (haha, I know exactly how you feel), if you don't want to tell him what his SD is and the real reason why you WILL NOT help her, tell him something like the company isn't hiring or that you did reach out to the person you know and leave it at that.  If they never call her (heehee), they don't call her.  I only wish I could disengage like you.  My husband would never stand for that, so I just live with the IBS and anxiety when they are around, which, thank goodness, hasn't been much in quite a while!  But, like you said, that could change any moment when they need a new car, finally have that nervous breakdown, are desperate to finish that degree, or whatever else takes his money!!!  Best.

Missingme's picture

NachoQueen, do you have children with your husband?  If not, I think I'd think twice about totally banning or ignoring his nasty SD.  What binds you together?  I hate to say it, but blood truly is thicker when push comes to shove and he will shove you out one day.  Sucks, but happens all the time.    

sammigirl's picture

Ignore her., she is an adult, made her bed as you are concerned.  I would never respond to  my SD57,  it is called total disengagement.

If she is like my SD she will use you, then treat you badly again.  I will never open that door again.  I am civil for DH's sake, but never engage for ANY reason.

When I'm finished, it's in my past, never again.  Wish I was more forgiving, I've tried, but the pain of the 30+ years just comes to surface.

Good luck.