You are here

Anyone reengage after disengagement

jennaspace's picture

I was telling my sister tonight about my experience after disengagement (a new found respect) and others experience of getting gifts for the first time in years etc... She asked if anyone has ever reengaged after the skids showed some sign of repentance. I explained that for many of us, disengagement was the final straw after many years and most of us were just done.

Still, it got me thinking.

Has anyone successfully reengaged after skids changed due to disengagement?

uptohere's picture

I wonder about this too. At this point, I can't imagine interacting in a relaxed, loving way with the skids after all that has happened over the years. I know for my DH's sake it would be great for them to reconnect with HIM, but I do live in fear of having to "play nice" because I just don't think I can ever forget the way I've been treated. I AM just "DONE". Done, done done.

jennaspace's picture

That's pretty much how I feel too. There weren't enough good threads (e.g. good memories) to hold us together despite the bad. It was just mostly bad. It doesn't feel like there is anything to go back to.

smithsgirl's picture

I'm disengaged and I can't imagine ever going back. I'm so much chilled now, I'm not so paranoid about stuff being reported back, don't feel the need to entertain when it's just me and them, don't feel like a visitor in my own home etc...The list could go on. Why go back, just as longs you're civil with them then it's not going to be a problem, you're not their mother and they made that clear from the beginning.

sandye21's picture

After about five years of being told I made SD uncomfortable, having doors slammed in my face, nasty comments, being treated like I was invisible and an episode of physical harm, I disengaged and told DH that SD was not allowed in our home unless she could be respectful. This lasted a few years. DH went to vist with them and assured me they would behave. I allowed SD and her husband back into my home and in my heart.

They 'behaved' for a very short while but with every visit SD increased the sarcasm and nastiness. Speaking to hubby in hushed mumbles so we couldn't hear what they were saying - when we were in the car or sitting next to them. And as time went on, I became more invisible, more expendable. One day when Daddy wasn't home SD snapped at me and started ordering me around in my home. Something snapped in me. A few months later, just before Christmas, they returned. They were worse than ever but I was determined I was not going to take their BS anymore. I won't go into detail but when I asked if they could speak up while they were having one of their constant sideleine conversations, they both came unglued and began screaming at me, making all sorts of vague accusations, while DH ran out the door.

This time I told DH they were no longer allowed in our home and let him know he could go with them if he wanted. In fact I went to a counselor on my own to see whether I wanted to remain married. I could have cared less at that point.

It has been two years and it has been wonderful. I have said to DH that the only way SD will ever be allowed in our home is if he inform her (in my presence) that she is to respect me as his wife. But truthfully I really don't ever want her back in my life. Past experience tells me it would not be too long until we would be in the same situation, or maybe worse if that's possible, and I just don't want to take the risk.

jennaspace's picture

That's what I suspect will happen if I let them in again. SDIL did apologize a couple of years before my disengagement (last year). She ceased her vitriol for a very short time and then resumed as usual. If the only thing that makes someone change is that the receiver (SM) gets upset, then they didn't really change. Their behavior was modified to navigate a new terrain, but they are the same people who would step all over someone being nice to them.

It would take a significant change in their life to convince me that they themselves, not just their behavior, changed. The main change for now has come from me, I'm not willing to put up with the mistreatment. Their behavioral change based on my resistance is not something that causes me to think anything would be any different if I let them back into my life.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

I might re-engage when I find out Twit has had a psych exam }:) That's extreme, I know, but she does have some serious problems.

I not only expected to be treated well as her father's wife, but also treated well as a person on my own. Just as I wouldn't be friends with someone who treats me like she does, I also will no longer tolerate such behavior from her just because she is an appendage to my DH.

Towanda's picture

I doubt it happens very often. Seems like these counselors are trying to brace us for never being accepted. It just takes us longer to realize it. I was told by two different counselors to move on, it's not you, it would be anyone who married their daddy, get on with your life and stay away. They were right, but of course, I didn 't believe them right away. I am sure there are statistics and studies out there that point to a very low percentage of happily re engaged families.
My dear friend just lost her step dad. She has step sibs who kept the war up for probably 30 years against her mother. One of his biokids came to the funeral after not seeing him in years. She thanked my friend for always being there for her dad. My friend said, no thanks necessary. I loved him and he was good to me even though I was just his step daughter. She told her SHE was the one who missed out. His other bio daughter didn't even come to the funeral.

jennaspace's picture

Wow, this is so my situation. MIL (or BM) triangulation just keeps the negative energy flowing.

I think it says a lot about your mom that she moved pass this after her MIL died.

CandyLou's picture

This is great to hear SA, there is hope for some of us! I feel bad for your mom though and what she had to go through. Did you ever get involved, meaning did you ever feel like protecting your mom when your step-sisters were being so cruel to her? The reason I ask is because sometimes my 17 year old DD will say in relation to SD, "Mom, should I send her a mean text?" lol. I always say no it's okay, but she is very protective.

Janpes's picture

Never ever will I re-engage with hubbys kids and neither will hubby.
While sitting in the sauna having a chat he brought up the subject about how he felt since he chose us over them. I was surprised as he said he feels more at peace with himself and doesn't regret a single thing that he has done while we have been together.
I asked him if they had been in touch, he said no, I asked has he seen them, he said he saw his daughter while driving in the car park, she shunned him, he shunned her.

Our life is as it is now, no more drama, no more crap, no more bullshit, no more feeling like I am a visitor in my own home. We are free from their stupid games and life has been so much more relaxed and stress free.

FunTimesFunTimes's picture

For me to re-engage, for even one second, would require one very specific thing to happen. DH's daughters would need to express true remorse, to me, for how horrific they treated me over the years. I want no platitudes from DH or MIL that DH's daughters have changed, want to "get along", bury the hatchet, throw in the towel, or some other false narrative.

When DH's daughters were younger (we have been together 9 years) I instilled in them my belief that words matter and I'm sorry, without changing the behavior or action, are simply idle words and have no meaning. They were always sorry, but continued to do and say the same things, over, and over, and over.

Until that time when they are able to look within themselves and realize how they have caused harm, I will stay disengaged. Not because I hate them or don't want DH to have a relationship with them. It's to protect me. I've been protecting me, and my wallet, for over 5 years now.

bi's picture

i agree completely. no true remorse, no relationship. sd's idea of relationships is twisted, anyway. she thinks it means i do things for her, and she gets to tell me how to live my life and what to do for her. she won't even mutter an insincere apology. she truly believes i am just an asshole who stays mad and holds grudges and i have a problem. it never occurs to her that she could possibly be wrong, and that people aren't going to want something to do with her when she is always happy about anything bad that happens in their life.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

If I wait for Twit to ever apologize for her actions, h*ll would freeze over several times. She never thinks she does any thing wrong, it is always the other person. Sigh, I don't think she is gonna ever be a candidate for sainthood, though she thinks she is.

She gets all over me, I walk away, and then she cries that it was MY fault! I made her do whatever it was that she did. Wow, who would have ever thought I had such powers?

What really gets her goat is that her sons like me, always are glad to see me, come to visit us, etc. And I am certain her husband gets h*ll because he is nice to me as well. And she is a control freak about them...no surprise there. They are HERS. The middle one, who was in the service, just got engaged and though I am happy for the couple, I pitty the time his wife-to-be is gonna have with Twit.

Just this week, one of the grandkids (guess I should say grandadults) came up and shoveled our driveway and walkways for us....without being asked!!! He was here before we even finished breakfast. What a nice gesture.

jennaspace's picture

Too bad there are so few success stories (1). Unfortunately, I can't imagine getting back into that mess myself either.