You are here

Adult Stepson's needs to grow up

angelbeth's picture

Have 2 ss and a bd 30, 29 and 27. 30 year old just got married. 29 year old is married and has a 3 month old. Daughter is married and has 9 month old.
We have been married since 1993. Dh was only married for 3 years and the kids were 1 and 2 when they divorced. Well stepson got married and was beyond rude to his dad. we have set boundries. Ex has been talking bad about him since day one. Way to much dramma. We thought things were ok, until we were at the wedding. We had the rehersal catered and were down in the church basement,
paying the caterer and making sure the food was in order. Other ss came down and said we were needed upstairs. They did the receiving line and had me next to the brother. Both my dh looked at them like what. The pastor asked and I said I donot understand why I am next to your brother an not My dh. That is when his soon to be wife said, This is a formal wedding. Dh spoke up and said shoudn't I be next to my wife. Soon to be wife said, Blood relatives come first you are not a blood relative you are just a stepmom. She did not have a nice tone either.
Ss said I donot see what the big deal is and they both mumbled a few things. ex said I knew that someone would not be happy about it this way. The pastor said about lighting the candles and ex rolled her eyes, Pastor asked if she has a problems. She had the nerve to say never mind it is too rude to say.
Then they said well whom is walking me down the aisle. Both idiots stood there and did not say anything. You do not know how bad, I felt. The both should be ashammed. Her brother was walking her mom down the aisle.
Well other ss said I will walk both of the mothers down the aisle. Then when the wedding is over I will come back and walk them both back. His mother and I.
I donot think she liked it but he did what was right.
I was so proud that he stood up and showed me the respect, I deserve.
we fiqured we would talk to him after his honeymoon about what was said.
Did not want to bring it up at the wedding.
Well the ex and her sisters started at the church. My sister and D-I-l, heard them trashing dh. We left it all go for the sake of the wedding.
We have set rules and boundries. There has been too much back and forth. D-il said ex has done nothing but trash husband. ss is the same way, if you do not what he want's he will turn on you and stab you in the back
Well to make a long story short, husband talked to ss. dh told him that we will not be put through that again re the aunts. also forgot we gave him money towards the wedding early, that he was to replace. His car broke and he did not have money and could not get a loan. Well his aunt put a nasty post on facebook that we did not help him out for the wedding and we helped him with the car.
He was told different but how would she have know unless he told her. We said we wanted him replace the money as we wanted to help him with the wedding.
When dh told him no more back and forth we will not be going anywhere they are, he said he felt bad but it was not his fault.
Then dh said about the blood relative and just a stepmom. He tryed to deny it was said. Then he said well my mom raised me and if you where upstairs and not downstairs, this would have never happened. You should have been there for me and not setting up the food.
They were late getting started and the caterer came, what were we to do. We came back up. If they would have came on time, it would not have happened either. They was 10 minutes late as they were dropping cookies off at the hall. The cookies could have been dropped off after the rehersal. while they had the talk,
He said that my mom raised me. I lived with my mom. He said that twice. You have never been there for me etc. We both have done alot for him. Spent time with him, gone to his football and hockey games, Gave them money, an older car we had etc. There is no excuse for his behavior. He has always been like, this and we do not think he will change. All we both expect is respect. Their mother told other ss, that he has to choose side. It is either her or your dad. other ss said, I can have a relationship with both that is crazy.
She has been asking him have you talked to you dad, what did he say? Other ss said, I am not going to answer that. We both have had enough, i do not think he will ever grow up and have an adult relationship with his dad. We are doing the tough love and the ball is in his court.

oneoffour's picture

I would point out to your SS that as it has been over 20 yrs since his mother and father divorced, someone has to move on with their life. Either she still loves him and will remain single forever in the expectation that he will return to her (a la Miss Haversham in Great Expectations)and will not let anyone say a bad thing about him or she will have a better life and let go her anger. Because the only thing this anger will do is eat away at her and make her old before her time. Or even give herself an ulcer.

Then I would tell SS that this is not a popularity contest but if he feels so strongly that he cannot be a son to BOTH his parents then this is his loss and he will be denying his children the chance to know where they came from because of one persons inability to move on with her life.

But I do like the FB cancelled check idea as well. Classic!

caregiver1127's picture

Angelbeth - I say move on and leave the SS behind - even on bio families people do not get along and end up not speaking for years - it is hard and sad yes but sometimes necessary. We don't really get to pick our families they are picked for us so you did what you could for SS you have known him practically from birth and to do that at his wedding to you was unexcusable I have already told DH that if SS17 ever gets married and tries to have DH and his Ex together and me somewhere in the background we would not be going to the wedding at all - he agreed and said it was up to SS to try and have a relationship with us - you can't force someone to have a relationship - it appears sonny boy is an asshole so let him be one and move on and live your lives.

Orange County Ca's picture

You did the right thing at the wedding now its time to divorce the kid. Explain to your husband and let him do what he things is best for his relationship with his son and you support his decision.

Then be prepared to skip some family encounters, which may suit you just fine, because that particular kid has been invited.

If I were Dad I'd be tempted to ask my kid if its possible for him to grow up when it comes to his attitude towards his step. I'd comment that his attitude was understandable for a 12 year old but hasn't he outgrown it yet?

angelbeth's picture

Thank you everyone. Husband has not called him and will not call him. He needs to grow up and enough is enough. There will not be many family things that we will be invitied. When we first married we said we will not let the kids pit us againist each other. Believe me they tried but we just stood our ground.
I guess 2 out of three in not bad. The one that does not show respect, has alot of growing up to do, and if he does that and want's to be in our lives, then we will let by gones be by gones. He pushed husband too far, this time. we are going on with our lives and are grateful for what we have and enjoy those in our lives, that treat us right. I am one that does not like conflict, but will stand up for what is right. He needs to know he can not go around treating us like this. Dh put the ball in his court and if wants to be part of our lives, he will have to make the first move. Dh will not call him.
Action speak louder then words and his action were uncalled for. My sister and daughter both said I would not want to piss my husband and I off. We are good people and will do for anyone, but will stand up for oursleves when we have too.
It is a shame but it is what it is and not much we can do about him. The best advice is that I have gotten was you have to change yourself as to how you deal with others and let things affect you. Words can be very hurtful and cut like knieves. After all is said and done, you do what is best for your own well being.

TheWickedStepmom's picture

Oh wow... my sd is supposed to be getting married next June! I am currently disengaged right now from ss and sd and plan to be for a while since I see no signs of maturity any time soon. This just made me wonder how in the crap that whole scenario will go!?!? I have NO desire to be at this wedding or anywhere around my sd and her toxic personality. I will be really shocked if hubby and I are not divorced this time next year. I am SO very sorry you had to go through something like that. That is just RUDE and HORRIBLE and MEAN and CRUEL. No one deserves to be treated like that. Ugh. That's just wrong. I like the posting the cancelled check pics on facebook too, as long as the checks had noted on them what they were for. Smile