You are here

20 yrs. of marriage and sometimes with 2sd's and still they hammer us! need advise!

darkhorse's picture

I have been married 20 yrs to an amazing man who had 2 daughters, a teen and early twenties when we met. We have our own 2 kids 17 & 19 of whom the sd's are eaten alive by jealousy. One lived in our state until the first of 4 gkids were born and they the country to raise them near their gp's. Karma prevailing, the gp they liked died so they moved 5 hrs away. The youngest sd is 38, bipolar, lazy, drug addict, sociopath, that doesnt work. We have aided financially always and she still calls with emergencies, lies, violence, arrests, all sorts of sordid stuff and sends mean angry emails, tweets, fb messages about us. The other sd, 41, we started seeing after 18 yrs. of angry, passive aggressive abuse towards her dad. After gathering his siblings near her and bad mouthing us, she professes to want a relationship however she wants gifts, babysitting and a free vacation home. She has made a mission out of coming and staying in our small home with 6 in her family. Not only is it slavery cooking and cleaning, its expensive there is never appreciation or help. The gkids are like mom depressed, ungrateful and whiney....My husband's shrink told him to draw boundaries so explained a hotel would be in order for 6 extra peeps. She actually argued with us! really? The shrink said expect to get kicked in the head with these sd's and keep it at a once a year interval. It was so much better with them a country apart but she is here to collect and we are being tortured by jealousy, money whining, and lining us up as summer camp. My husband is hurt beyond belief by both of them, and embarrassed by their behavior. How do we stay at arms length, not see them much, and not engage in issues as they are jealous of our kids, demanding, uncaring and angry? We both agree that they are beyond changing as they are old and plagued by mental illness from deceased mom. As color, these sd's never remembered his bdays, fathers days, return calls, invite us when his entire group of siblings are invited on holidays, remember our kids, or even call him 3 times he was hospitalized....its pretty unbelievable! Open for advise!

herewegoagain's picture

I think the shrink is right on target. Once a year, at most and draw boundaries. But I would ONLY allow that for 2 years or so...if after the two years, they can't respect boundaries, they need to be 100% out of your lives. If your DH wants to visit, fine...but not in your house, not with your kids, and not a dime spent on them.

darkhorse's picture

wow...its weird to hear your replies as I felt it was easier to be nice a give the older one another chance. But thats why I posted after so long, I have no concept of normal but my gut agrees totally.

darkhorse's picture

yes it is a process...in June we changed our land line after years of the younger sd's calls from hospitals, bf's, co-workers, landlords, police..etc. She is mentally ill remember. The other one just moved closer and actually behaved herself for 5 months until the issue of not having space for them pissed her off. But then again 5 months isn't too long. I had not seen her in 6 years prior to the move. DH saw older sd every year at least once. Since they are daughters living far away it has been his discretion to get involved. But 6 people driving distance has changed things dramatically. I really needed a context from others on what they deserve. I am a firm believer in karma and theirs is bad because of their anger. Thus I have tried to dial them down to zero...but living closer makes that more complicated. :sick:

Orange County Ca's picture

Can you convince Dad that you guys should visit HER once a year? Staying in a nearby Hotel you two can control the time, place and length of visits. Daddy can take kids to local parks or amusement centers until it becomes too much then they go home.

Meanwhile you can spend the day window shopping and perhaps at most meet for dinner.

Since Grandpa visits once a year there is no reason to allow them to come to your place ever again.

All it takes for this to happen is your husband to tell his daughter that this is the way it will be. You can tell your husband that that is how it is going to be or you are going to visit a far away hotel (on his credit card) every time they visit. Rio De Janero is a nice place to visit.