You are here

who can tell me/

lian's picture

i have married my husband for ten years, i have been in canada for 8years.before we got married, he already bought this house.it is true this house is belong to him. this is why my step daughter tell me that if i dont like it, i can pack my stuff and move out.her dad even didnt say anything, after that my husband told me she is just a kid, dont worry about it,she is kid? she is 24 years old, ust work part time,live ree, eat free,even her dad do the laundry for her,she took my husband's car,drive free.i just want to know is it true that i am a only one to move out thanks

lian's picture

thank u so much, if let me choose i will never be a step mom. my husband always tell me to grow up and accept the situation now.i just regret to quit my job and move to this country, it is hard i dont have friends and family here.he has a big family, they all stick together and support my step daughter, seems like i am a devil.

Orange County Ca's picture

It's never too late to move back.

But your husband says "don't worry about it she's just a kid". Tell him to prove it by making out a new deed to the property. In Canada a solicitor or attorney is needed for real estate transactions. Tell him both of you go to an solicitor and he tells the solicitor that he wants the house to be in both names. Yours and his. So if he dies you get the house. If you die he gets the house.

If he says "don't worry" and won't go then you know he is not going to leave the house to you if he dies. Then the daughter will throw you and your clothes out on the street.

lian's picture

thank u so much, when we just got married, i never thought about his house or anything.he still paying the mogadge,i never ask him if my name is titled till his daughter told me to move out.i know nothing about canadian law. i quit my teaching job in my country to move here with full of hope, now seems this dream broke. that girl tatolly break our marrige.everytime when i see her sit on her dad's lap, it is really make me sick, 24 years old,200 some pound, never been dated......still act she is her dad little princess.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

That's disgusting. He needs to stop doing that immediately.

May I ask where you are from?

In this case I think the going out into the unknown is better than staying in a place where you are unhappy. Think for yourself and whether or not you can take this for the rest of your life.

lian's picture

i am from china. everything is new to me here. different culture, different background. it is hard for me to adjust it.thank u for ur help.

ecgirl's picture

If you are married, you do have rights to part of the house in a divorce. However, I suggest you ask him to have the deed rewritten to include your name so when he passes away you will have at least a partial right to it.

Natalia Ely's picture

You should consult a lawyer armed with facts about the nature of the ownership of the house. For example, did he ever own the house with his former wife and if so, has he allowed title to remain the same. Probbly not, but you never know. My MIL was on title for the family home for 20 years after her death -- even though my FIL went through a marriage and a divorce during that time. Because of the downturn in the housing market, there may be no equity at all, but that does not resolve your current problem. It sounds as though your husband is willing to treat you as less because of your lack of knowledge of local law. You might want to suggest "estate planning" so that there are no surprises. If he does not care enough to provide for you in your old age and widowhood, you should know that as soon as possible so that you can take appropriate action. The house might already be in some sort of family trust for all you know. While you might be able to break the trust as an ommitted spouse, you don't KNOW that. If your marriage is emotionally over, then you have a lot of other decisions to make.