You are here

Stepkids asking about your income and Financials

Iris2019's picture

I need to know if you have any experience with stepkids asking you about your income and other related issues . How do you deal with this?

My stepson asked me if I have a common account with his dad. The first time he asked me, I told him that this is a grown up business. Then months later, he asked me this question again i answered yes.

Last summer, I took him and his sister who was visiting us to McDonald's,  they were 15 and 13. They asked me to find a job in McDonald's so I can pay my car loan.  As I work a substitute teacher and it was summer vaccation, they don't want their dad to help me. Although, most of the rides I use my car is to drop and pick up my kids to their different activities and they know that my husband is so lazy to do this.

This bothered me alot, because when their mom was married to my their dad she was so spoiled.  She did not work and she did not pay a penny for her house and kids. 

Honestly, I need to know what to answer them when they keep asking about these matters

Thank you 

Kes's picture

Weren't these the SKIDs who made death threats to any unborn child you might have?   If any SKID made any enquiry whatsoever about my finances I'd tell them to take a long walk off a short pier - it is absolutely none of their business.  And did I read it right that they told you to take a job in McDonald's?   What were you doing taking them to McDonald's anyway?  I would have thought that even if you were prepared to live with these monsters, you would be totally disengaged. 

Iris2019's picture

Yes, they are the kids. They wanted ice cream. Honestly, if I say know, that day will be a big fight with Dad. 

tog redux's picture

You are in an abusive relationship and your stepkids are joining in. I'm guessing they hear their father complain about you not working and having to pay for anything. And your biggest concern is the BM was "spoiled"?

Please get some steady work and get yourself out of there. I'm guessing now isn't a great time to be a substitute teacher, but I'm sure there is something you can do with your teaching degree.

The kids are just a symptom of the problem. Your DH is the real problem.

Aunt Agatha's picture

Big DH problem.  He's a disrespectful jerk and his kids are following suit.

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

Telling children/stepkids about income etc is a bad idea and also not their business 

shamds's picture

They do not know specifically what savings hubby has, how much he earns per month, how much is in his retirement fund, that he assigned his retirement pension solely to me since we have 2 young kids aged 3 & 4 when his youngest is almost 15 and the other 2 are adults. 

My skids don’t know that hubby started a savings account for each of them to gift which they’ll get when he retires or dies just to help them a bit. My husband is firm that kids should not know about this kind of stuff because it isn’t any of their business 

if any skid that has no lifeskills, had no job told me to get a job at mcdonalds, they would get an “eff you” and my husband made to address it if he wanted me at home still

strugglingSM's picture

One SS has asked about this periodically, but I know that he's just acting on behalf of BM, so I always tell him that he doesn't need to know that. 

DPW's picture

My answer: None of your damn business.

Then I would insist DH had a talk with them about what is appropriate conversation and what is not. 

Then I would toss your DH to the curb. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Part of me wants to tell you to tell the kids to shove off and turn around and NOT buy them what ever you were about to if they want to ask questions like that.

The other part of me, knowing that they don't like you and daddy dearest sharing funds and that BM is behind all of this, wants to tell you to tell them: "that since daddy makes so much money he wants to make sure that I am happy and have everything that I could ever want. So of course he shares all his money with me, silly goose!" -- Let them take that home to BM. 

shamds's picture

Hcgubm is unleashed!!

doesn’t matter everything was finalized in the divorce, he will always be on the hook for life even when his disrespectful rejects are adults.

Thumper's picture

similar to Justmakingthebest I would tell them my trust fund of twomillion helps out.

OR

I might be tempted to say 'Oh your dad won on one of those scratch off's last year and gave it  to me as a BIG present" isnt he wonderful..It was around 2million. Wink

Wait until bm hears THAT lol

Iris2019's picture

honestly you made me laugh. Defentilay its a great idea to answer them this way

hereiam's picture

When we bought our house, SD asked how much it cost. I told her ten dollars. Everything was 10 dollars.

Rags's picture

Time to have some fun.  Create some fantasy bank statements for joint accounts and leave them on a table in the house.   Do the same with delivery orders for a new BMW, expensive vacations, designer clothes and jewelry, etc.....

When they talk to BM about it and she brings it up just say that you don't have those accounts or things.  If she brings it up in court..... you can honestly testify that the accounts have never existed, etc, etc. etc....

Enjoy spinning the Skids and BM up by rubbing their noses in their own nosey toxicity.

Have fun!

Iris2019's picture

I liked your idea. Will do