You are here

Health Insurance Billing Information Required

micheles3's picture

I would like to find out if I have Violated HIPAA. My stepdaughter has had major surgery. In trying to get her bills paid I have called the hospital and doctors offices requesting billing information. The mother is the custodial parent. She carried the primary insurance, the father is supposed to have access to all medical records per court order. I carry the secondary insurance for the child. The mother is furious and doesn't want me getting the bills paid and often won't forward information. I am under the understanding that since I have authorization from the father and carry insurance for the child that I am able to access her records. Is this correct or am I in violation of HIPAA?

Amazed's picture

You are authorized to have access to the child's medical information. I deal with step parents all the time and I am required to give them ALL information concerning their stepchild provided that the child is covered under the steps policy and the bio parents have something stating they're both supposed to have full medical disclosure. It is the responsibility of the parents to give the hospitals and doctors ALL insurance information and IF she isn't providing ALL insurance information she is committing insurance fraud. There is something called coordination of benefits and the primary insurance MUST be aware of all coverage the patient carries and so must all medical facilities that the child visits.

The HIPAA policy basically gives permission to the doctors,hospitals to share the patients information with all insurance companies and policyholders of those plans which means YOU. By signing Hipaa she has given permission for the doctors and hospitals to obtain payment from any and ALL available insurance companies covering the child.

~The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for.~
Oscar Wilde

Katie Step Mom 2017's picture

You can't violate HIPPAA unless you're the healthcare provider. It is up to the provider to keep the information secure. If they gave it to you and they weren't supposed to, it's on them. Don't worry!

henrysmith's picture

Amazing knowledge about health insurance billing information you have shared with everyone, Your theme color is really perfect then others.  https://passatonce.co.uk/

Dogmom1321's picture

You're definitely not breaking any rules, BUT personally I would stay out of it. Financial responsibilty of SD should fall on BM and DH. Not you. Ultimately, you have authorization to access this information, but not any decision making rights. Since the child is under BMs primary insurance, she would be the responsibilty person for the bills. So she doesn't pay? It will go to collections in her name, not yours. I'm curious why you carry SD on your insurance? I wouldn't want ANY reason to talk to BM. Let her handle it.