You are here

New custody arrangements - new child support payments

Stepmom23's picture
Forums: 

I am curious to those who have gone through this, SS16 decided to live with BM. We had to resubmit Financial Affidavits to the court for the new child support payment. SD14 and SD9 will remain with us, but DH makes 5x's what BM does a month and someone was telling us that even with two of the three Skids we will be paying her CS for SS16. Does anyone know? The wait from the courts is driving me insane.

WifeVersion2.0's picture

SD14 lives with DH and me, SS13 lives with BM (same mom of both kids).
DH still has to pay her almost $800/month in child support.
She is voluntarily unemployed and gets credit for SS13 and her DD4 (from another dude who pays her about $900/month in CS)
ON top of this she receives free lunches for SS13 and food stamps, other state aide because all that money she gets in CS doesn't count as "income" for her.
She of course lives in the house she grew up in that her parents gave to her (they kicked out a rental tenant they had for over 12 years because BM insisted she wanted her kids to grow up in the same house she did) so she pays them about $300/month supposedly.
They also bought her a car so she has no car payment. She wrecked it today on the way here to pick up SD for the weekend and was smiling and laughing saying she's so excited because they will likely total her car and she's hoping for a new one.
Oh, and she's 42!

Sorry I hijacked your post with my venting but she's under my skin tonight!! On the other hand I'll gladly keep forking over that money to her every month if it means that SS13 never lives here full time, I can't stand that kid's attitude!!!

Stepmom23's picture

The system is so screwed up! It's amazingly unbelievable! I don't mind that you're venting, we all need it, that is why I come to this site. I was warned that being a step-parent was hard, but I had no idea. It's been 4 years for me and I am still in shock and awe about how bad my DH gets screwed.

StickAFork's picture

Child support DOES count as income for governmental aid purposes: welfare, food stamps, FAFSA, etc.

That's about all it counts for, but it counts.

Rags's picture

You have two, she has one. I doubt DH will have to pay and if he does it shouldn't be much. But, it all comes down to the CS formulas in your state. Google the CS calculator for your state and run the numbers. The income of both BPs and the distribution of their joint children plus % parenting time are all factors in most state CS calculations.

Run your numbers through your state CS calculator and you should get a fairly clear picture of what a Judge may likely order in your situation.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

That would be true if incomes were similar, but I think the Dad's income is like 5 times higher than the Mother's.

Stepmom23's picture

Okay I found one, I couldn't find one for my state though and the other ones, if I understood the wording right we will have to pay about $250/month. I don't care that we have to pay, it just so messed up! We didn't ask for any of this, she drags us through court and we loose our son and have to pay her when we still retain custody two of the kids... one that has special needs. I can't wait until that boy ask me for something though... I am going to be the first one to say, we have to pay your mom to take care of you so it's her responsibility. Ty.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

It really depends on your state. In our situation CS would be ordered by both parties depending in income, time share, credits, and then the amounts would be held against each other with the difference being owed to one of the parents. So...if BM's order is $300 per month and your husband's order is $500 a month, he would pay her $200 a month.