You are here

Health insurance

jct918's picture
Forums: 

Hi all,

Curious to see what you have worked out with regard to splitting insurance premiums. I live in CA. My SO is self-employed and through domestic partnership is covered by my employer's plan. His ex is remarried and her new husband provides coverage for all the kids (they remarried prior to my SO and I getting together, and we just entered our DP a couple months ago). There is nothing in their divorce judgement about health insurance - their judgement is an absolute joke - there's nothing in it about visitation schedules, etc. But that's another post. Smile

Anyway, his ex simply declared what my SO is to pay every month for insurance for his 3 kids (13, 19 and 22). He has never been provided with any information about their coverage (co-pays, etc). We don't even know what they pay!

To me, the fair thing to do would be to split the additional premium to cover the kids (employee + spouse is usually one rate, when you add kids the rate goes to the next level). I told him he needs to demand documentation first, that the kids are even covered and second, what they pay per month.

Thanks everyone and Happy Friday!

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

What does the CO state?

The standard here is that both parents are required to carry insurance. What they have agreed instead is she will carry it. He will pay half of the extra it cost to cover the kids above her. She has to provide him with a new card and plan information each year.

DaniellaR's picture

Well on a piece of paper that BM evidently wipes her giant bottom with, DH is 100% responsible for health and dental and then half of necessary medical expenses not covered by insurance. Our health insurance is free, BM can get everything completely free so when she sends thousands of dollars of bills to us, we make sure to send a nice complicated letter to her lawyer (so she gets billed) basically telling her to go suck an egg and she still owes DH travel expenses. BM has proclaimed that she changed the CO to better suit her and she does what she wants so court would be worthless. The witch doesn't see one extra dime from us though

strugglingSM's picture

In my situation, and in my state, health insurance usually falls on one parent, but the amount that parent pays is deducted from any support payments (or added if the other parent is providing coverage). The formula also stipulates a maximum amount the parent should be expected to pay for premiums. DH pays well above and beyond that amount now, but hasn't gone back to ask for a reduction for his CS. He does remind BM that he pays a lot more though, any time she threatens to ask him for more CS. She'll never follow through on her threats because she lied about her income when the CS was calculated, so the amount she gets is sure to be reduced, even though DH makes more than he did when they got divorced.

If their document doesn't say anything about medical expenses, then your BM can ask until she's blue in the face, but your DH can ignore her. You can only claim what's in the document.

Rags's picture

In the original paternity CO DickHead was stipulated as being responsible for providing health insurance for the kid. He didnt for the first 11 years of the CO. I provided it through my employer. His CS was escalated by the increase in premium to cover SS on my insurance. Any medical related expenses not covered by insurance was ordered to be split equally between DickHead and my wife. He never paid a penny of that and we used his deadbeat status on that issue to smack him around in court periodically. I had fun with that. }:)