You are here

Evidentiary hearing

Chicago3's picture
Forums: 

We have an evidentiary hearing coming up as mom moved her kids in with her first abusive boyfriend she had arrested for domestic after divorcing her 2nd husband for having him arrested for domestic. 1 of the 3 kids are failing school(3 out of 6 classes) since moving in with the 1st abuser... 2nd kids grades keep dropping but going back up, 3rd is here and there with the bad grades. so we've been able to establish that grades dropped after moving in with boyfriend post divorce. 

what would you ask for relief? We've spitballed a few ideas around but curious if you guys have any new suggestions. 

simifan's picture

Best advice I've ever heard is Courts are not about right or wrong. They are about compromise. Ask for the moon, make a list of what you can live with. For example, ask for full custody with supervised visitation - you can live with primary custody with visitation away from abuser.

Be prepared to lose. Courts rarely change primary custody & almost never without a lot of chances to the custodial parent already given. 

Rags's picture

Go for BM's throat, but lower your expectations so you will not be disappointed.

Courts are not intelligent. They are merely automatons that spout repeat prior decisions.  Very rarely do you get a Judge who can think.  Mostly they are idiots in Harry Potter robes slinging a toddler's Fisher-Price wooden hammer and "do what they alway do" regarding Custody/Visitation/Support rulings.

To quote the robed moron in our all day hearing 28+ years ago.... "I hope you all feel better. Now I am going to do what I always do."

Remember. Lower your expecations so you will not be disappointed. BM will likely not receive any consequences for her crap and the kids will continue to be served up on the platter of failed parent martyrdom to BM's idiocy by the Judge who is ostensibly supposed to protect the kids.

Nea

Far more often than not BM's rights trump the rights of the kids and the CPs rights nearly always trump the rights of the NCP.  Even if theCP is a crack head turning tricks in front of the kids or pimping the kids out for money for a fix.

Judges rarely demonstrate that they give a crap about what is best for the kids.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

Chicago3's picture

Well we received the GALS rec and it's very favorable for us. We will see if the Judge agrees to the recommendation.