You are here

Why should I include SD10 in everything?!

NoNameThx's picture

I love my SD10. She is a great kid. But like any kid, she does things that are ridiculous. She expects me to involve her in every single thing I do, and I feel like it's unreasonable.

I am a teacher. I'm teaching at a different school this year and my classroom is actually brand new and very nice. Like any teacher, I was pretty darn excited to decorate it and set it up just the way I wanted it. I spent all yesterday decorating. Came home for dinner. SD10 asked if she could help me decorate my room. I told her that it was already done. She got hurt and pouted. Husband told me I really should have brought her along so she could "be involved".

I think that's ridiculous. It is MY job, MY classroom, and I simply wanted to do it myself! She doesn't even go to this school, so it's not like she is any real part of my new school! I don't understand what I did that was so wrong...it wasn't like I involved everyone BUT her. I didn't ask ANYONE in my life to help me decorate. I simply wanted the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Sometimes though I can't tell if I really am being selfish, or if hubby and SD10 are the ones being ridiculous. I would like you guys thoughts on this please.

misSTEP's picture

THAT is a good point. It's his child. HE can take her to work if she needs to be "involved."

TASHA1983's picture

YOU are not being selfish one bit, your DH and SD are being ridiculous! Sounds like a classic Disney Dad and spoiled, selfish, entitled brat situation to me....SMH. I feel for you!

I just love that double standard of how a SM should do this or that for their spouse's/SO's kid but they can't/don't/won't do it for their own kid!!!! LOVE that! *rolling my eyes* :sick:

oldone's picture

Next time he wants to get "physically friendly" ask him if he's sure he doesn't need to include SD. Yes that is disgusting and repulsive but it should get the message across that some things are off limits to children.

hismineandours's picture

Yes they are being ridiculous. You are being normal. The darling little sd wanted to be involved with something sm was doing so your dh thinks you should accommodate her no matter what-because hey, she comes first, right?

momagainfor4's picture

i'm sorry it wasn't take your stepmonster to work day!! how hilarious that he can't look at this kid and say.. you know, that's (insert name) workplace and she can't just take you along any time she wants. this is her job. sorry that you thought that would be fun but it's a new job at a new school. maybe next time if you're nice she'll ask you.

BC that is what any normal parent would have said!!!

I get so sick of my SO doing this that I want to puke and I actually find ways to stay away when the kid is here!!

twopines's picture

They are being ridiculous. My coworkers do not bring their kids or stepkids into the office so they can be involved. Seriously, that's just dumb.

kathc's picture

WTF?!? No, you should NOT be expected to take her to your JOB and let her help decorate your classroom. If you'd WANTED to, fine. It should NEVER have been expected. WTF.

NoNameThx's picture

Thanks guys. He also got upset because, as a music teacher, I have to direct a musical in the spring. She asked if she could be my co-director for the play; I told her absolutely not!! She asked if she could help with the musical; I told her absolutely not!! When she (AND HUBBY) asked why, I told them, simple. She's not a student there, and those are tasks that are given to students and their parents who volunteer. I don't feel like she has any darn business helping with that when there are more than enough kids and parents who want to!! Am I right?