You are here

What is considered crossing the line with an Ex Spouse?

sleeplessinoklahoma's picture

I am interested to know if others consider this line crossing in the case of an ex spouse. My fiance and I had this discussion yesterday. He recently took a family picture with his son (who was having senior pictures) and his ex wife. He said he did it because his children wanted him too. He said it didn't make any difference to him he wasn't getting the picture anyway. And then he went on to mention his daughter didn't really care for it. So I am assuming it was at the suggestion of his younger son (the senior). I told him I didn't think it was right. He said if we were married he would not have done it but didn't think there was anything wrong with it because his "kids" wanted it. Is this crossing the line? He also takes his ex-wife to out of town sporting events when she "calls" and asks for a ride. Supposedly because she doesn't have money. She works a full time job and according to him she never attended sporting events or any events of the children when they were married. They have been divorced for 10 years. Is this crossing the line? I do not ask my ex husband for a ride to any of my childrens events. That ended when he became my ex. And we have a very good relationship. I don't think it is my place to ask him for anything anymore.
My fiance is an extremely attentive parent and if his children ask him for anything he very much caters to their desires (the older two are both married and out of the house). I am a divorced parent of 5 boys and I love my children just as much as he loves his. I attend their school and sporting events and spend a lot of time with them. But I don't feel the need to cater to their every whim and I believe in putting my fiance up in the list of priorities. When he is with his children his text messages to me are few and far between, and very rarely if ever? does he call me when he is with them. He thinks it is discourteous to them. I don't expect long conversations or texts but I don't understand why he can't be more communicative with me when he is with them. He doesn't stop communication with them when he is with me. Remember two of his children are grown and married, the other is a senior in high school. I guess that is another question entirely but one that I would like answered.

Amazed's picture

Why does he still have one foot in the old marriage if he's trying to work on having a future marriage with you? Doesn't make sense why he's still so involved with the ex.

Of course, they HAVE been divorced for 10yrs so it's likely perfectly innocent. Of course it's still annoying and I think it undermines your position as "future wife" if he's still living in the past and playing house with the ex. What type of person is he? Does he normally go above and beyond for people? If he does then I would consider it just part of his personality.

I do think he needs to start setting some firmer boundaries and maybe it's time for him to start making the switch from bachelor to "attached and almost married" man. Basically, he needs to cut the cord with his ex unless he involves you in their friendship as well instead of leaving you off in left field somewhere.

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." ~Judy Garland

Thanks for your response. I agree about firmer boundaries. I guess one small detail I failed to state is that we live two hours away from each other. So yes I do attend events with him when I am with him which isn't all that often. And when I am with him his ex doesn't even attempt to speak to me. Maybe that's why I find it bothersome. And yes he is the kind of man that goes above and beyond for people. But should his ex really be one of those people? His reasoning is that it is for his kids. I just don't see why she can't find her own way to the out of town games. I do it for my kids and don't expect help from my ex. That cord was cut long ago. We still attend events involving our children. Just not together.

Kb3Hooah's picture

I didn't realize senior pictures included other family members. The appropriate thing to do would have been (if son wanted his Dad in the picture) to take a pose with Dad and Son, then Mom and Son, but not together. And to also offer you to come along.

I'm not sure what difference it makes if the two are you are married or not. You both obviously have plans to be married and are living as a married couple. A ring on the finger should not determine the decisions he makes. It's the commitment between the two of you that determines that.

Do you not attend the out of town events with your Fiance? Your Fiances response to BM should be, "Sure, my Fiance and I would be more than happy to give you a ride"
She can sit in the back seat. Maybe once she see's that YOU are part of his life, and she no longer comes first, she will be too uncomfortable to insert herself.

How long have the two of you been together?

Amazed's picture

rofl, oh that's a great idea!! "Your Fiances response to BM should be, "Sure, my Fiance and I would be more than happy to give you a ride She can sit in the back seat"

Too funny!

I know if *I* ever had to allow TheFrizz to go somewhere in my truck..I'd put up the third row just so she could sit WAAAAAYYYYY in the back. }:)

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." ~Judy Garland

Kb3Hooah's picture

Naw girl...put her in the bed of the truck! LOL

Amazed's picture

*giggle* I TOTALLY would if it had a bed (SUV)...of course DH has a pickup truck so that's always an option }:)

Conflicted's picture

I agree with Middlemom 100% on the rides to sporting events.... I think that she is spot on with that one! However; I don't see a problem with taking the 'family' picture. Sure it's a bit uncomfortable for you (and I would feel a little slighted as well) but when it REALLY comes down to it... we're talking about a picture.... a picture taken for the KIDS of both of his parent's... Why deny him that? Does dh taking the picture make you believe he is going to leave you or that he wants to be with bm? I doubt either is the case....
I don't see why the picture is deemed such a horrible thing. My bd has a family picture of her dad and I... it is on display in her bedroom.... I can't tell you how much joy it brings to my little girl to see her family picture... she is so proud of it. My son will NEVER have that.... he has a different dad.... and his dad has a very insecure, jealous, spiteful, hateful wife (and please don't think I'm categorizing you as the same) but she would NEVER allow her husband to grant my son a 'family' picture.... which really.... I don't even know why we're calling it a "family" picture.... that's not even what it is.... You ex is not part of bm's family just as I'm not a part of my ex's family.... It is must a picture of both of the kid's parents.
Anyway.... I don't see a problem with it, and I think if you really put this into perspective you have no reason to feel threatened by the picture....

stepmom008's picture

I TOTALLY see a problem with taking a family picture. We had a similar situation where SD9 had started karate classes and the first couple of belts that she received at belt graduation always resulted in a "family" picture. I finally flipped out for 2 reasons. A.) They're not a family anymore. BM threw that out the window when she decided to spread her legs for a man that wasn't her husband. B). Having a "family" photo taken every time there's a momentus event does nothing but perpetuate SD9's fantasy that mommy and daddy will get back together someday and C.) because I'm selfish and got tired of standing on the sidelines with BM's boyfriend while we had to watch as the "happy little family" put on one last show. I put a stop to it, all family members know that a "family" picture will not be taken and that BM's boyfriend and I have our own families now - they just happen to include the same child. Now we do separate family pictures, one of the three of us and one of the three of them. That way we can have OUR family photos around the house and we can leave the past in the past and move forward.

Thanks for the response. The answer to the question about the out of town games is that no, I am not able to go to those games very often. I live 2 hours away and the out of town games are usually a good distance further. And I would not mind if she rode when both of us went but she has never asked for a ride when we both have gone. Go figure.

lovelovelove's picture

That's because she is uncomfortable with you...because SHE IS JEALOUS!! That's why she doesn't speak to you. Wait until you actually get married. She will turn into Satan...just like BM did in my situation. They are all fine and good, controlling your man and thinking that he will never "actually" marry you. But when you guys do get married and he starts to actually listen to you and make the changes necessary to having a new wife/marriage, the ex will flip. They always do when they lose control of their ex-husbands. CRAZY is in their genes!! Wink

You do need to set some boundaries though. The whole riding together, family photo thing...no, I don't think so. That needs to stop yesterday.

Gook luck to you!

Love Smile

**Love me or hate me, I'm still gonna shine!!**

Totalybogus's picture

I don't see a problem with the picture. I personally took the picture of my husband and his x with their daughter when she made her communion. However, the rides to me would be inappropriate.

JustAnotherSM's picture

This is crossing the line in my book. Even if everyone (you, DH and BM) have an unusually great relationship as parents, then you should have been included in the picture as well.

StepChicka's picture

What really matters is that its crossing the boundries with YOU. You feel uncomfortable with the rides, the pictures, the lack of texts, him not integrating you into his family.

You can wait it out until the youngest son graduates which luckily isn't that far down the line. If you can't then you and fiancee need to come up with solutions.

He knows how you feel about the pictures..does he know how you feel about the other issues? Regardless if you come up with a solution your feelings should be heard if these things are truely bothering you or risk resentment.

MarriedwithChild's picture

Ummmmmm....."I" personally would wonder deeply about the "ride" issues at hand.
That's me. It seems a bit too cozy to be ex's. Of course, again, that's me.
No way dh would give bm a ride or even help her with anything after she continues to put more debt on us all.

The "picture" thing, it sounds like you are describing a picture taken of them, of a happily married couple. Are they going to frame it and put it over the sofa?

I don't think so. Again, that's me...

~Good Luck~

MWC (again)

MarriedwithChild's picture

*DH gave all of the pics of BM, back to her. She wasn't thrilled, but, oh well!!!

startingover2010's picture

it is crossing the line. ss should have the mind power to understand that your dh and bm are OVER and that family has been BROKEN UP so a pic of u and bm with ss was inappropriate.

wicked-stepmother's picture

I dont' think it is crossing the line to have a picture taken for your child with your ex spouse. It would have been nice though to have everyone, including you, in the picture. Make it a whole family thing!

I don't think you can judge anyone else's relationship by your own. Just becuase you woudln't do something, shouldn't mean that it isn't good for other people. In the past, my husbands relationship with his ex wife was so positive, she would come to our house for supper, take our daugther to her garden plot to help pull weeds and she even stayed at our home for a weekend and took care of our daughter while we house hunted in another town. It was a wonderful relationship. My husbad helped her move. We talked with each other. It was just the way we had always wanted it. Kindness and love for everyone. Our relaionhip isn't like this today of course. But, I still have hope that one day it might be again.

Your husband loves you. But, he had a family before you too.

Conflicted's picture

NOTE: I am not talking directly to you Sleepless.... I am responding to the posts on here advising you that you should have a problem with the Picture....

I'm not understanding the responses on here saying the Picture thing is innappropriate and that SM should be in the picture too.... SM wasn't involved in making the kid... When it comes down to it SM is NOT one of this kid's parent's.... no matter how hard you try or how much you want to be.... you are not.... He wants a pic of his mom and his dad and I don't see what the big issue is....
Are you seriously going to argue that you are a parent too so you have a 'right' to be in the picture? GET OVER IT.... there is no need to argue over the fact that SM is a "parent" too in every sense of the word... steps take care of the kids, help raise them, feed them, and do everything else that the bio parent does.... but come on people.... the fact of the matter is that the kid wants a picture of his MOM and his DAD and you (the step) are not one of those!

And you, the step standing in the way is wrong, it breeds resentment and it's one of the petty responses by steps that give all of us a bad name. Why deny the kid? What is this REALLY about? Get a grip.... It seems that those of you who have such an issue with the kid having a picture with his mom and his dad are awful immature and insecure... Not only that but I cannot imagine sitting there saying; "well SS.... you can only have your 'family' picture if I'm in it too!!' Why don't you put your hands on your hips and stomp your foot while you're at it?

As a step, I get why the initial feeling would be a little sour.... disgusted even.... but calm down for a minute and lets all think really hard about what we're talking about.... The kid wants a picture of his mom and his dad.... Does DH want the picture? Is DH blowing up the picture, framing it and displaying it on your living room wall? NO.... he didn't even keep a copy of the picuture! THE PICTURE IS FOR THE KID... Get over it.

Kb3Hooah's picture

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! Very well said Crystal! Smile Me like.

belleboudeuse's picture

"I feel it gives off a message that undermines the "moving on" or finality of the divorce."

I completely agree, Crystal. I don't think creating an artificial image of an intact family that no longer exists is best for anyone. Not the parents, not the stepparents, not the child.

BB

You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. - 2BLoved

stepmom008's picture

It's exactly the "for the kid" reason that I think a family picture is inappropriate. If the child is going to be able to fully understand that his/her parents will never be together again, I feel that there shouldn't be family photos. It's confusing. People always talk about how it's confusing for the kid if their parents and the parents significant others hang out together - how is it any less confusing for the parents and the kid to take a family photo together after the divorce? Yes, I'm a little selfish about it but it's mostly because I don't want any mixed signals to be sent to SD9.

atpeace's picture

I agree with you. I am divorced and I am also a step parent so I see all sides...and no matter how old the offspring is I can totally understand why they would want a picture of their day with their parents. The marriage is over and spouses move on...but the offspring are left with the outcome. My ex husband's wife is secure in her relationship with my ex husband and would never object. I am secure in my relationship and would not object to him being in a picture with his daughters and their mother...have a heart people the picture with for the graduate no one else. I am probably gonna get a lot of backlash for this but it is how I feel. In fact my son played travel sports for years and during those times my ex's wife would call and ask me if I wanted my ex/her husband to drive me. I would have hated to take separate pictures growing up - wouldn't you..isn't it nice to have a picture with both parents...my only problem with this is there should have been pictures with YOU in them as a family photo...cause YOU are family and a step PARENT as well...this is I know must have made you feel not a part of thing and inside I hope you know YOU ARE a very important part!

Kb3Hooah's picture

She's not wrong at all for feeling sour about the situation with the pictures, and noone is 'wrong' for feeling what they do in regards to certain situations they are uncomfortable with.

Ppl can be given many different perspectives on situations, they can hear them out, think about how it makes them feel, compare it to the perspective they went into the situation with, and then determine if that is the perspective that feels right for them or not, but a perspective that is different from yours, doesn't make it wrong, IMO. **shrugs**

Sleepless, YOU have determine what YOU'RE comfortable with. Noone else can determine that for you honey.

Conflicted's picture

So let me get this straight..... You don't see a problem with the picture if they are freshly divorced but you do see a problem if they have been divorced for ten years because it 'sends the wrong message'?? HELLO!! Are you kidding me? Taking a "family" picture would be SOOO much more confusing if it were taken while the divorce was still fresh..... But 10 years later?! Obviously they are NOT getting back together and I am sure the now grown kids long ago accepted that.... Do you really think that that a picture is going to change things?
Also.... You don't see a problem with the picture if there were no stepparents involved? Really? So the kid can't have the picture he wants because of his dad remarried? Nice.
The funniest thing I read above was that the picture "undermines" the marriage? For God's sake.... If you believe that.... You've got quite the looonng, miserable road ahead of yourself. Good luck to you.

StepChicka's picture

Similar to Crystal, my parents split when I was a teen. I have 1 or 2 pics of us together after they divorced. I was in no way fantasizng my parent's marriage being intact. I wanted them there because they created me and I was glad they did. I don't know about my stepmother but my stepfather didn't have a problem with it. I'm sure there are kids that fantasize but it was not my case.

Conflicted, I think Crystal's approach is speaking out of respect for step-parents. ie...No feelings are hurt if there are no partners around. Although have to agree, its kinda confusing to say that it gives a false sense of mom and dad being together in one sentence then changing that around in the next. Sorry Crystal your remarks contradict each other there. I'll reiderate though, from the prospective of the partners involved, or lack there of, it definitely makes sense. I answered this post earlier with the same notion. What should be taken into consideration is that it crosses Sleepless's boundaries. Perhaps her fiance's answer to her concerns will bring some peace of mind. Maybe they can come up with a solution.

Me personally, I do agree with you Conflicted as many others here. I don't see a big deal about the picture. I don't have a problem with my DH and his EX being in a picture with their kid if its for a special occasion. Maybe because of my upbringing or it could be because I haven't had a real hand in raising SD. It works the same with him.

Okay, that was a little rough wasn't it? Here's the dealio. I do not want to be the nutsy cuckoo that my ex fiance was about my relationship with my ex Husband. He was to the extreme. My ex and I have a very civil relationship and discuss our children when the need arises. Not on a daily basis mind you. I get along just fine with his wife, I even introduced them. Do I want to hang out with them? No. If it is an event involving my kids. Sure we should all be there and be supportive of them. And getting along is always in the best interest of the kids. Do I want or think it is appropriate to take a "family" photo? No I don't. That family doesn't exist any more. I think it would have been appropriate to take one with each parent. Do I feel excluded? No, I was not there, but had I been I don't think it would have been appropriate for me to be in the photo. My fiance's ex did not participate in family functions very often in the 20some years they were married. He said his kids had hard feelings for a long time. My understanding from him is that she was pretty rotten to them. So having mommy dearest in the photo seems a little odd. My fiance even told me he didn't think his daughter liked it. So wtf? And I have never heard of having "family" photos when a senior portrait is taken. But apparently this was all set up because the grown kids and their families were all there. Hmmmm.... Set up? I feel that my fiance is extremely bad at setting boundaries where his family is concerned. And I do not want to become resentful of the fact that when he is with them he has no regard for my feelings. Which is quickly becoming the case. I believe their is a happy medium here. And yes I have voiced my concerns. His reply is if it makes his kids happy to have their mom in the photo he will do it for them. If it makes his son happy to have his mom at the games he will do it for him. I just wonder at what point does my happiness come into play? We aren't talking about small children here. They know how the world goes around.

Btw, Crystal your comments were very nice. Conflicted was a little rough on ya.

GreenEyedSM's picture

I had a similar situation occur before I married DH. We were living together then. BM lived 1&1/2 hrs away, which meant when he went down to visit he would sit around her house w/ the kids after taking them to dinner or going to their school event, sometimes for hours. This made me very uncomfortable to begin w/ but what made matters worse was BM did not like me & since it was her home, I was never invited. Well, one night DH came home & after he took pics @ the kids choir concert he took some pics @ BM's house. Some of the kids, some of BM& the kids, then some of just BM (WTF!)... and for the finale..... One of him, BM & oldest daughter sitting on him&BM's legs, inbetween them. I was pissed! It was the last straw... so much stuff before that I don't have time to write. I ended up leaving him. He begged me to come back. Some things got better, we got married last April. Most things have not changed. Anything @ BM's home... I am not welcome, but he goes... for the kids. I understand doing things for the kids but if she has a problem w/anything & does not want me there, she throws a fit, he gives in & tells me he has to because he doesn't want the kids effected by the tension it causes between him & BM. In fact Friday he is going to BM's for the 1st night of Hanukkah... dinner & presents. I am not invited again. But he will go... for the kids.

I know you are engaged & you surely love your fiance.... just be sure how much you can deal with before getting married.

Good Luck!

"No One Ever Said Life Is Fair!"- My Father

Sus's picture

Always keep in mind, no matter how many years go by. "MOST" Adult children of divorce would give anyhing to have the parents & family Unit together.
Recently My FH's BD(29) mentioned, in a phone call "BM" went to Rehab, and hasn't drank now in 5 months. Would you consider trying again, daddy? They were married 25 yrs, but the divorce was 13 years ago. He of course he told her,NO,there was more to the divorce then her drinking, he told her. And to please do not bring it up again. Just love your Mother, hold her close to you. She needs you. She's a wonderful person, but not for me. And he told her, I'm here for you too.
So the pictures?? Being I will be his new wife,shortly. I really don't have a problem with Pictures. I think it should be The kid/kids, mom and dad. Also the child alone,and with each parent. And If I am married to him, and were asked, One picture of all of us, as the "second" family unit would be great. If it makes the children happy, and content, there's nothing wrong with it. It will be the same for wedding photo's etc, down the road. Example:
(bride,the Birth parents), (bride,grandparents). (Dad & new wife, bride), (ExBM with new husband and bride), (then all of us too as a second family unit).
I plan on Hanging all the photo's he has in Our Home( minus) a Wedding pic, or romantic type pics, of the EX-BM and him.
I feel the pictures of their lives,S children, from birth and up, should be displayed, in both homes. And I will display all of my pics, chidren/ grandchildren too, along side his.( I'm a widow ) I feel, no jealousy, towards her, none. I know he is done with her. I know there was too much hurt, to ever try again.
Does he love her, of course,he will always love her, but in a certain way, She is the Mother of his children. But he loves her at a different level now. Would he help her, Sure, he would,And I wouldn't have a problem, with that either, unless it was constant/daily. I would expect him to be helpful and kind to her, if she needs help, Give her a ride,why not. Trust in your MAN. IF he is cruel to her, he will be cruel someday to you!!
And more importantly, he doesn't LOVE her, the way he loves me. Our relationship and committment is strong, and the love is deep, I don't see anyone interferring. He lives 1700 miles from me.( until Spring) I trust him 100%. If I didn't,I shouldn't be with him.
So I wouldn't worry. Unless I saw red flags,or he gave me good reason to worry, and if he did, I would handle it.
It looks like he's trying to be honest with you. So give him the benefit of doubt, and trust in his word. He could be giving her rides and NOT disclosing them? And he's being honest , trust him.!! We all need trust, honesty,love, and great communication to hold a solid marriage together.
Actually I am looking forward to meeting the Children Christmas. And hopefully I will get to meet the EXBM. in the near future. We as adults must keep the lines of communication open for the best interest of the Children and grand children. Remember he had the children way before, we were in the picture, he's NOT going to replace them, You can be replaced..LOLOL.
Never come between him and his children, Love him and try hard to love his family too. They will always be his kids. And he will always love them, even when ,he doesn't like some of their behaviors !!

Conflicted's picture

Sus: beautifully stated. You sound like a very strong, stable, loving influence. Kudos to you Wink

Green: the situation you described sound entirely innapropriate. I was referring to professional, tasteful photos.... Not candid, flirty type photos. I would have been so completely pissed in your shoes. I hope dh has straightened out! Also, I thin it's really sad that you're 'not allowed' to attend events for the skids... Sounds like bm is quite threatened by you and is taking it out on her own kids.... Very sad....

lovelovelove's picture

At first, I wasn't allowed to come into BM's house. I've actually only been in there once and DH and I have been together for over a year and a half. She went and hid in another room when I was there and the kids showed us around their new house. Weird...woman has deep, major issues. But last December, right after Christmas when things were really heated with our situation because we had just gotten married, (crazy BM and the SD's were causing major trouble), DH had to go over to BM's house to drop something off for the kids. When he got there, the girls wanted him to come in and watch them play their new Rockstar video game. Well, an hour and a half later I was like...where's DH? They only live 10 minutes away! I called him and he was over there playing Rockstar with BM and the SD's, as a family (for the kids). I flipped out and he came straight home. Needless to say, he has never done aything like that again.

He finally understood that him, BM and the SD's are NOT a family unit anymore and anything that is done as far as activities, photos, etc. are done seperately. We take our own "family photos" with the SD's. DH would never take a family photo with BM and the SD's. He hates BM and hates that he ever met, married and reproduced with her. He really can't stand to even be in the same room with her. DH realized at that point that he needed to cut the "we are still a family" cord after 6 years of trying to pretend for the kids' sakes. It was a huge mistake to keep up the "family" facade, he realized because the kids thought that meant that DH and BM (who is a lesbian) were getting back together. So, that made my life a living hell when we met and got married. Everyone flipped out! Talk about a disaster...ugh. Anyway, DH and I do everything that has to do with the SD's together...sporting events, school functions, everything. BM is and will always be uncomfortable and feel threatened by me because she is jealous and has no coping skills. So, that's not my problem, it's hers.

**Love me or hate me, I'm still gonna shine!!**

Purpleflower09's picture

I would totally disagree giving her rides or taking her ANYWHERE.
Time to cut the ol marriage strings with his ex. You need to really express your direct feelings about this,tell him how you feel, why you feel it is wrong and what you expect. The only way to nip situations and problems like this in the butt is to be very direct and percise in what you want and expect.

" Faith is a bird that feels dawn breaking and sings while it's still dark"-R.Tagore

Thank you to everyone who responded. It was very good feedback and I learned a lot from all that responded. I do believe that my fiance is a very good hearted well intentioned man and I will give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. I still don't believe it appropriate for his ex to need rides to the games and I have and will continue to believe this to be crossing the line. He knows how I feel and I will stand by my feelings. I deserve exactly what I am willing to give and will accept nothing less.

Thanks to everyone!! Still love to hear more comments.

pregostepmommy's picture

As both a stepmom a stepdaughter (parents divorced and both remarried) I see both sides to "Is this crossing the line"

I have pictures myself with my mom and dad at things like graduation, wedding, and other events that were momentous in my life. Those pictures were accompanied by pictures I have with my mom and stepdad and dad and stepmom. My parents were always very good about playing nice when we (my sister and I) were around. On the other hand, when my stepson had his first day of preschool at age 4 (he's now 6) BM insisted on a pic of both her and my husband together with him. Our situation with BM is NOT nice or cordial or anything close and has progressively gotten worse. That was the last picture she and my husband took together and there wont be any more.

As far as your fiance giving BM rides to games and events I do think that is crossing the line, my parents never did stuff like that, and I'd have a stroke if my husband ever did that.

It really matters how it all makes you feel. There's nothing wrong with simply having a conversation with him so he knows how you're feeling and where you're coming from. The number one thing for a successful marriage is being able to communicate and see the others point of view (not that you'll always agree with it)

Snowbunny's picture

dguiwh2334's picture

I'm a bit late on this post, but wow... First, I guess agree and disagree..its def a hard situation.. My bf is goin thru a divorce with his ex that has been dragging, he and I live togther n have been together a year(just so u know my history for the answer) this might be long.. But it will be worthwhile for advice.. I am 23 and my parents divorced when I was 4.. The first pic since my parents split, of me n my sis with my parents, was taken last year! And mind you, it was a graduation n there were aunts n uncles in the pic, and my parents weren't even standing together.. BUT I know if I was graduating n wanted a pic with my parents, it wouldn't be for a senior pic! Maybe at my party, but I believe I would include my parents new spouces! Out of consideration... I do have to say tho, that around xmas last year, my bf n ex had already filed divorce, she also had a bf.. It would be the kids first xmas without their parents together, and believe this... My bf spent xmas morning with his kids, at his old house!!! Yep!! And believe me you, we battled it out! His thoughts were, "I'm not spending xmas with my ex, I'm spending it with my kids" my response, she will be there with you! (How we got past that..idk lol, that's why we r strong now?) Anyways.. After that mornin on xmas, he took the kids to HIS family party.. And lord and behold, guess who showed up?!? That's right, BM.. At his family party! She wanted "one last family picture" I about threw up!! R u kidding me?! NOW that is wrong! Lol, I have to laugh cause she is nuts, and he didn't even smile.. My thoughts, if the kid wants a pic, envolve all spouces.. So nobody is hurt! As for the rides.. NO WAY! That is uncalled for in all ways!

no fairytale's picture

I am sure I will offend a lot of people with my opinion.. But it is just my opinion -)

Sometimes I feel we make such a big issue about ex spouses or new relationships or spouses we forget about the kids.

Yes we are divorced but we did not divorce our kids.. So, I can completely understand why a child grown or not would want a photo with their mom and dad.

Personally it would not offend me at all if my FH was in a photo with his ex. This photo is for the children.

Jae's picture

Amen...

To tell a child that their mother and father are no longer their family unit is cruel. I have been reading this website and find it shameful! A grown woman stating she hated a 5 year old child; hated their husbands ex wife because she was cheated out of the "first child" experience is ridiculous. You knew the man had a previous marriage and children, what the hell did you expect.

I have to wonder how many of these "SM" we're screwin there DH while he was married to another woman and now is demanding "respect". RESPECT is EARNED...

I see why this earth is heading for destruction. PLEASE

ocs's picture

oh please...

Their mother and father are NO LONGER a family unit. It is what it is.

Their mother is their family, and their father is their family. Altogether they are no longer A family.

Get the distinction?

AND! if you find us shameful, by all means, don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is a venting website so that we can share and learn, and VENT.

A picture with my DH, BM and SD would make me uncomfortable. They are not a family. (I wouldn't be in the pic either- SD15 and I tolerate each other at best)

Harleygal's picture

Geez sleeplessinoklahoma,

You're situation sounds exactly like mine! My DH and BM were married 18 years with two adult children 18 and 22. Except for my DH says he was the jerk to them and now because of that he parents out of guilt. He asked me once if BM could ride with him to an out of town soccer game. I said hell no! Not right dude. I think my DH's intentions were honorable - he's just way too nice. He also used to go to BM's and do chores for her - cooking, repairs, etc.. I had to stop that too. I was totally not comfortable with it and knew he did that stuff out of guilt.

I need to PM you. And guess what - I'm in Oklahoma too.

QB7567's picture

I have this issue with my boyfriend and his ex-wife who I think needs to stop calling him and asking him for money. Just a few days ago she called my boyfriend asking if he could give her some money to go and get her hair done. Here's the thing they are divorced and they have NO children together or any kind of property. She thinks that because I am cool I won't mind her calling and asking him for things....um YEAH I mind he's not your husband anymore he's in a relationship with me. I did mention this to my boyfriend that it bothered me when she calls asking for money and she's asked him twice on two different ocassions for money to get her hair done.

My thing is that my boyfriend is not obligated to give her any money since he's not married to her anymore. She is also pregnant by another man who I told my boyfriend she needs to get money from if she wants her hair done or something to eat. Some women think that just because you're not with the man you can still call him for things when you are interfering with that person's marriage or relationship. I would put your foot down and make it clear that boundaries need to be drawn and enforcing it. I intend to tell my boyfriend that he has to let his ex wife know if she wants her hair done she needs to ask her boyfriend for the money or save up since she's got a job because it's not his place to be supporting her after the marriage has officially ended.

Some women have a hard time moving on after a breakup or divorce and it's up to you to express that clearly to your spouse or partner that their exes have to respect the relationship. Setting boundaries stops a lot of this stuff from happening and ex wives, husbands, boyfriends, and girlfriends have to realize that once a marriage or relationship is over and your ex is with someone else that's not your place to be calling a lot and asking them for things they are not obligated to give you anything. Ex spouses and partners need to know their place and letting them know where the line is drawn. Always handle the situation with maturity and no conflict usually an ex will back off if the former spouse or partner lets them know that they are crossing the line with things they're asking for or doing.

Blinocac's picture

My thought on the pic thing, if my stepdaughter asked my wife and her ex to take a picture with her, I'd encourage it. The rides for the ex, while being nice, is kinda being a doormat. Anywho, just my $.02

Chibs's picture

I don't see a problem with a family photo if a child is asking for it. This is in the best interest of the child who is asking for it, not the parents'. If my daughter wants a picture someday with her father and me in the picture all together, I would do it for her. (Now keep in mind, this would a tastefully done, professional photo.) If she wants a picture of her parentage, I have no problem with that. I don't think my ex would either since it is for our child. I think I know him well enough to say he would do it for her too.

For the sporting events: Maybe she wants to be more involved in her children's lives by going to the sporting events. It took getting the divorce for my ex to become more involved in our daughter's activities. We live in two separate states so I don't have that problem of him wanting rides to sporting events. However, he has never come up to visit on any of his "extra weekends" allotted to him in the decree. He just waits for his normal visitation with her to do stuff. If his kids are in the car with him and her, I don't think there is anything to worry about. He is just showing a kindness to her. Divorcees can be civil to each other for their kids if they really want to be (and it can have nothing to do with whether they like each other or not). It's purely for the kids' benefit to enjoy their parents present for their activities and not fighting with each other.

Maleik's picture

I remember when they had to go to a school meeting of their son....and she come to the house, get into my husband car and leave together....the excuse is about being supportive parents and blah blah blah.
Well each one of them has a car but there's no need to go together because they can meet over there. I was so angry.....is very important to establish boundaries since the beginning otherwise those type of things are going to eat you alive if you don't open your mouth.

Please do not accept your husband picking her up...!!