You are here

Stepson's Wedding

HWilliams9's picture

A little backround. My stepkids are 18 and 21 and my stepson was in his first year of college in Hawaii when his dad and I met. My hubby and I dated for a year before getting married. In that time period his son and his girlfriend came back to Texas to go to school 3 hours away from where we lived. His son, his son's girlfriend, now fiance and I have all gone on family vacations together and are generally all happy. I have met the ex about 3 times and she's a pleasant person, although it has come back to me that she's made some snarky remarks, which is to be expected.

Here is the issue. The son is getting married in about 6 months and I feel like I should gracefully bow out of the wedding. Is this out of line? I am not included on the invite. I'm relegated to sitting 4 rows back from my hubby and his ex during the ceremony. Not seated at the same table for the reception and not invited to the rehersal dinner. Stepson and fiance say they really want me there, but I get the feeling that stepson wants to have his parents together for the event and pretend like the divorce didn't happen. If that is the case, it's fine with me, but I don't really want to be there and be relegated to watching my hubby and his ex put on a show for everyone. Ex is not remarried so there are no issues on her side. Maybe if ex was remarried she would insist on sitting with her spouse and this wouldn't be an issue.
Can I decline the invite? My husband says I should go and play along, but I really don't like it at all that I'm being told I have to go and pretend I'm a regular guest and not married to the groom's father.

Tartsy's picture

They did not invite you; therefore, there is no invitation to decline.

I believe it is up to you as to whether or not you want to go. It is going to have to be about your comfort level. There could be arguments supporting you go and arguments supporting you do not go. I would stick with what feels best to you. In a way, I suppose I would think: GO! Do not let them take control. On the other hand, if you feel like crap as a result, not good.

It is unbelievably rude of them to not include you on the invitation. I was excluded from my husband's daughters wedding when we were engaged. Imagine how I felt when he wanted to include her by invitation to our wedding? Not so good.

He gets it now...she was awfully rude. I am sure the stepson has many excuses. There are none good enough for this. I am sure your feeling is absolutely the truth - that he wants to pretend his parents are married.

This is an indicator or more exclusions to come, by the way.

Ideally, your husband would tell his son, "If you do not invite my wife, I will not accept the invitation." Ideally, if the son tested him on this, your husband would follow through and not attend also.

My husband has since informed his oldest daughter of this invitation requirement. He has not seen her in over a year. She lives an hour or so away. Neither of us have regrets about this.

HWilliams9's picture

Let me specify. They did invite me to go, but I'm not listed on the invitation as hosting the wedding (even though both hubby and I have contributed $$). It has been made clear to me that they want me to accept the invitation to go to the wedding. I'm not sure what BM wants since we live in Canada now and they are all in TX. Hubby doesn't really talk to BM much unless there is and issue with the SD. It has been explained to me that this will be a large, traditional church wedding and I'll be seated as per etiquette 4 rows behind the BF and BM, I will be not be seated with hubby at the table with the wedding party and parents at the reception, I will not be included in pictures or in any of the family dances. If they want to come together for the wedding for the sake of their son, I'm fine with that. My issue is that they want me there too for support, which I think is selfish, but I'm sure when and if I bow out... I will look like the bitch. I've only known these kids for 3 years, so I didn't really put any sweat into raising them, but I do love them and I don't want to tarnish the relationship.

HWilliams9's picture

I'm 4 years younger than hubby... We moved to Canada in November and I started grad school to become a librarian when we move back to TX. Hubby is in the oil business.

I get a sense that the BM loves her son and wants to do what he wants. She has a BF and I'm sure he's fine with sitting at another table. He is just the BF after all and guys usually don't care about these things. Hubby joked that the BF could be my date... NOT FUNNY! BM does not have allot of relatives, but hubby and her were married for 21 years so even after the divorce 5 years ago, she has remained very close with his family.

Tartsy's picture

Be a people pleaser all you want, but do not let them humiliate you by relegating you to a place that is not with your husband. I am also a people pleaser, but that does not make me want to be a doormat. I was one for about three years. That is over.

You would not be going if it were not for your husband. Go, sit with him, have fun.

I would not doubt the BM's BF is sitting with her. Maybe he would agree, but maybe not. My husband's children have no issue with their mother's BF. They "love him." "He is great!" Mommy is a victim as far as they are concerned. Dad is for money and doing what they demand.

Me? LOL. They cannot stand that I breathe.

I really do not think you even need to talk with the SS. I would hope your husband would take care of it at the wedding. Just do it. Do not even give them the opportunity. Act as though it is expected, as it is expected in the normal world. Maybe talking with him will give him the attention he wants. After all, if you just go and sit with your husband, would they really make a scene? Screw that.

I have thought through this as I have a possibility of two more weddings with DH's children. My plan is (if invited) to attend and sit with my husband. If they cannot be courteous, not my problem. If not invited, I already know neither my husband nor I will attend.

twopines's picture

>>>Be a people pleaser all you want, but do not let them humiliate you by relegating you to a place that is not with your husband<<<

Yes, this.

Dannee's picture

YES JUST THAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hubby should be stating that as well.................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simifan's picture

Add my ditto - sit with your husband or do not go. To ask a couple to separate is rude and insulting & I would be livid that DH is even considering it. I would also ask for my money back. You contributed - you should be on the invitation.

Tartsy's picture

I do not know what "etiquette" they are talking about, but you certainly would NOT sit 4 rows behind your husband. If you go, you sit with him, as all married couples do.

Yes, I see that is different. They were wrong to have not listed you on the invititation as a host. People are selfish. They do not get it.

Etiquette says, however, that as you did receive an invitation, you are obligated to attend barring a serious conflict. I do not know, obviously, all of your circumstances that may relieve the obligation.

If you go, you absolutely sit with your husband at the wedding and the reception. I smell a rat here...that is terrible to not allow that. I certainly did at my wedding. My husband's brother was his best man. I made sure his wife AND THEIR son (who is an adult, but also helped us get ready the couple days before) all sat together at wedding and reception. I had never met them. They would know nobody at the wedding other than DH's adult children. I was not going to separate them after the very long trip they made to be there.

twopines's picture

>>>I'll be seated as per etiquette 4 rows behind the BF and BM, I will be not be seated with hubby at the table with the wedding party and parents at the reception, I will not be included in pictures or in any of the family dances.<<<

My SS had a large church wedding, and I sat in the front pew with my DH, BM, and BM's mother. I sat at the family table, and I was included in all pictures. Etiquette does not mean being rude for the sake of appearances.

Someone is feeding you a line, and using "etiquette" to keep you completely out.

HWilliams9's picture

I'm glad that you all agree this is horse caca. I thought this was myself, but since everyone seemed to agree with it I was second guessing my feelings. I may have to sit down and have a heart to heart with the SS and the fiance. I know they want to take that day and make it even more perfect by pretending the SS parents are still together... and have me there as a guest (we like you, please come and act like a guest, but stay away). I'm a people pleaser so this is going to be really hard for me.

up2myiballs's picture

I have disengaged from my DH BS, and BD due to good reasons. (entitled adult stepchildren post). As I see it, it is a gift from me to not go and have the biofamily "uncomfortable". I honestly could care less.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DANCE WITH UGLY PEOPLE

Unhappy's picture

Ideally, your husband would tell his son, "If you do not invite my wife, I will not accept the invitation." Ideally, if the son tested him on this, your husband would follow through and not attend also.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My FDH would not stand for this. He would sit four rows back from his ex right next to me. He would also switch one of the names on the table at the reception so that he could put his little name tage next to mine and sit right next to me.

This is absured and I would not tolerate it.

HWilliams9's picture

I found the "proper etiquette" for sticking the stepmother somewhere. It's 3 rows back... not 4 rows! This one is from marrycustoms.com

Next, where should the stepmother be seated according to proper wedding etiquette? Once again, the bride has the last say, but typically the stepmother should sit in the third row behind the biological parents.

Yes, it may seem awkward to have the mother and her ex-husband sit on the second row together, but this is a family event for the bride, not a contest in who is the latest wife of the father.

HWilliams9's picture

Hmmm... sounds like there are quite a few opinions on the "proper" way for things to be done. I'm going to put on my big girl panties and have a talk with DH. If I can't sit with him... I'm not going. If I look like a bitch, then so be it. Thanks all for the perspective... I wasn't getting any over here!

Tartsy's picture

It does not really matter what that particular site says...in fact...it is not correct etiquette. And no, the bride does not always get the final say in everything. For example, if her parents are paying, they get part of the guest list also.

Basic etiquette is that husbands and wives sit together...simple is always best.

Etiquette exists to reduce insult/injury and uncomfortable situations. If you do not sit with your husband, frankly, you will have a lot of guests who will feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, if you insist on not sitting with him - I don't even know where to go with that.

momagainfor4's picture

That is offensive. It is inappropriate that they have done this.
I hope none of your money or communal funds are being contributed to this fiasco.

Jsmom's picture

I wouldn't go and I certainly wouldn't contribute funds. And shame on your husband for not handling this better.

Tartsy's picture

Yes, 100 different ways to skin a cat...I know that from when I did all my searches. I went to basic etiquette things in the end...and I can say that all of my guests were very comfortable...which made me happy.

If we just go with the most basic of basic etiquette - when is it ever justified at a social event to split up a married or engaged couple? Never. It would appear very strange.

Tartsy's picture

Adding:

A marriage makes a woman and a man a basic social unit.

How ironic that these skids feel the need to separate that social unit at not only a social event, but a celebration of a man and woman becoming such a social unit.

I suppose they feel that since we are second (or third, etc.) marraiges, we do not deserve such recognition. Thankfully, they are completely wrong. We would NEVER survive these marriages if we received such disdain and accepted it. (For the record, my marriage is my husband's second and my first...what in the world could they say about that :D)

twopines's picture

>>>A marriage makes a woman and a man a basic social unit.

How ironic that these skids feel the need to separate that social unit at not only a social event, but a celebration of a man and woman becoming such a social unit.<<<

Absolutely agree.

HWilliams9's picture

You are so right. Honestly I don't believe that SS is vile, he is young (21) and he loves his parents and wants to see them be together on his day. His fiance loves him and wants to give him what he wants... his parents love him and want to give him what he wants. NOBODY has told him that this is rude and inappropriate. My DH is the one who needs to be enlightened and in turn will enlighten everyone else or I will feel perfeclty justified in not attending.

paul_in_utah's picture

It sounds like that, on an intrinsic level, you don't really care about going. If that is the case, I say "F***-em!" Let your husband go, and you take a nice weekend trip for yourself.

However, if you really have your heart set on going (as a step-parent, it is hard to imagine that you would), that would be a different conversation. An ultimatum would really be the only approach - your DH says "My wife is included, or I won't come." Of course, as others have noted, there can be a lot of stress when ultimatums are introduced into the situation. Lots of hurt feelings, your DH doesn't see his kids any more, etc.

You have to pick your battles. Unless it is REALLY important for you to go, and be included in the traditional activities, then I wouldn't go. And I also wouldn't get a gift for him either. Just sayin'.

HWilliams9's picture

I understand what you are saying about the sticky situation that ultimatums can create. It is not my intention to put a wedge in the family. I really don't understand why they want me there to begin with. I want my DH to say that I'm invited to the rehersal dinner (which communal funds are helping fund), and I can sit with him at the ceremony and reception... or the bride and groom release me from my obligation to attend. I don't have to be a part of all the hoo-ha, but I don't want to go and be an outcast.

Tartsy's picture

Yes. Echo - you might have missed that...it's back on the first page...

It is exactly this ^^^

Still sh1tty. OP should have been included as a host...that is insulting enough.

I have a freind who is a total disney MOM. Her children are grown. We were over there for a NYE party. I kid you not, her husband was yelling and whooping in glee that her 30-something year old son finally moved out. LMAO. I loved it. I could not help pointing that out to DH.

Anyway, she and her husband both have children from previous marriages. If they do not make the same amount of money, she makes more. She and her husband were funding one of his daughter's weddings. I was shocked that my Disney Mom friend was ACTUALLY upset and ticked off that the daughter would not include her name on the invitation as a host with her husband. And by the way, the daughter did agree to write on there "Mr. and Mrs."...this was somewhat satisfactory to her, but it was all so they did not have to actually write her name.

Given my disney mom/everything goes for the adult babies was upset about it, it has to be wrong LOL!

Anon2009's picture

Here is what I did when I married DH.

I talked with my pastor and wedding planner about seating arrangements and asked if we could work something out where my stepdad sat next to my mom, and where my stepmother sat next to my dad. We did. They both sat on opposite sides of the row from each other, but my stepdad sat next to my mom. My stepmother didn't come, by her own choice. But I could sleep better knowing I didn't hurt my dad's feelings by doing anything to exclude her.

There may not be any official etiquette on this but your SS and his fiancee are being terribly rude. They wouldn't like it if they were asked to sit apart at someone's wedding (or any other function). Yes, it's their wedding, but that doesn't give them the right to be a$$holes.

herewegoagain's picture

It is rude of the stepson to invite you and expect you to not sit/be with your husband. That is as rude as it gets. If my husband dared to go to his kid's wedding leaving me sitting 4 rows back and in a different table, that would be the end for me.

PS - by the way, a wedding is a FAMILY celebration...if you are not considered family for a wedding, let it be a reminder when the holidays come and let it be a reminder that the gift should be crap!

beyond pissed-off's picture

The true purpose of etiquette is to make all people as comfortable as possible in a given social situation - not bash people over the head. Expecting a married couple to be separated throughout the entire evening does not accomplish that for anyone other than a bitter BM and will be confusing for guests who will be wondering who this poor woman is sitting by herself.

Creating this issue and attempting to justify it by calling it "etiquette" is childish in the extreme. It is up to your DH to put his foot down and demand that everyone - particularly the 2 people who claim to be mature enough to be getting married! - act like adults and recognize reality.

darky's picture

Hmmm...this is an interesting one but I think not going will make you feel more seperated and bitter. I dont think our world runs on any etiquette these days so that is just a load of crap that is being said just because Bm can't handle you are married to DH. I think it is up to DH to say we are coming and we will be together at the wedding. This is the reality...faking it for the night will just make it uncomfortable for everyone and maybe even create an issue at SS wedding god forbid!! Eat, drink, be merry and enjoy the money you have spent. Maybe easier said than done but go for you.... Not them. If DH can't stand up to his son and say no we will sit together, I question why he remarried. I can kind of understand SS sticking up for Bm so DH needs to be the one to stand up to them. Good luck.

Whateva's picture

Hi H williams

I absolutely would not attend a wedding (step kid or otherwise) where I am not allowed to sit next to my husband. I would not play along with this ACT of the ex and hubby still, kinda , sorta are still together. His kids are adults and frankly even if they were younger I would not tolerate it and would be upset at my spouse if he went along with it. Like Tartsy said, if you allow it, it will never end no matter how great of a relationship you think you have with Stepson- which brings up another Step point, it sound as if you and stepson have vacationed and seemingly had a great relationship, so I am confused why he would do something so degrading to you??? I think it proves once again that no matter how you try to appease steps and no matter how much they seem to like the step parent...they can always manage a step jab when everything is said and done.

I sincerely wish you Good luck in your decision BTW

Whateva

PeanutandSons's picture

I can see the reluctance to have you on the wedding invitation as a host of the wedding. You have only been a part of the family for a short time, compared to the years that his birth parent have. If you had helped to raise your ss, that would be one thing. But you showed up on the scene after he was grown. So I can see how they would only put the bio parents on the invitation as hosting.

As for the seating arraingement, that's not ok. You are together and should sit together. Either add you to the "family table" or have Dh sit with you at your table. As for pictures, I think some with just the bio parents is fine, but if you want some of you and dh with the bride and groom then I think you should speak up. The photographer is paid by the hour, so a few extra pics aren't a big deal if you and Dh want some with you included.

Tartsy's picture

I can also see reluctance, since people seem to have forgotten why those names go on the invitation. It is who is hosting.

He can be reluctant, he can refuse to put her name on there (as he has done) but he should also return any funds she contributed to the event. That would make it okay.

asheeha's picture

i would like to know how the conversation goes with your DH and how he responds. i'm floored that there is an etiquette guide that would suggest such an insulting act. it seems it would create more discomfort. i know my DH would HATE to have to sit next to BM and chat it up with her while I sat elsewhere. it's crazy and DH would not tolerate it.

hippiegirl's picture

Don't you ladies get sick & tired of being told to be nice and play along?! I know I do. You know what HWilliams, don't go to the stupid wedding if that's how your DH is going to "have your back". Act like you don't even care.

emotionaly beat up's picture

They were happy to take your money, but not happy to even have you at the rehersal dinner, want you to sit 4 rows behind your husband at the ceremony and have told you, you will not be part of family photos, this is so rude and so wrong, who are they pretending to, her parents, family members, friends, doesn't really matter does it. This is plain rude and I would not go.

The reason I would not go, is for years I took this crap and it has now come to the point where I have banned SD from my home and it is forever, now DH does not see his kids or grandkids. So learn from my mistakes, do not take it the first time, because if you accept this insult the first time and go along to please your DH or SS they will take you for a fool, and this will be the first of many events you are going to be excluded from.

My DH like yours wanted me to go along with this sort of crap, and for his sake I did. Well as I said above the result was disastrous. They got away with excluding me once and they just abused me and excluded me from there on in.

The problem is not BM, SS or his fiance. Because it does not matter who wants this, it is your DH's responsibility and duty to you his wife to stand up for you against his family and say to them, my wife would be insulted and humilated by this and I will not allow it. He should also tell him he thought that he had brought them up to have better manners than this. He should tell them in no uncertain terms you will be attending the wedding as HIS WIFE, you WILL BE at the reharsal dinner and you will be seated next to him. If he doesn't and you attend to keep the peace, you will find yourself being excluded from the birth of their first child, the child's Christening (whatever), the child's first birthday, graduations and any other event that are tradionally seen as mum and dad events to be celebrated with kids. I cannot believe how often this problem come sup on this site. It is never acceptable under any circumstances for the husband/wife's family to exclude the new partner.

No one here not BM, not SS, not SS girlfriend and most importantly DH has shown one ounce of respect for your or your feelings, so that should be a good indication to you as to how you are going to be treated at future "family" events, you are going to be treated as "not being part of the family" however, SS's wife, well, she will absolutely be included as a family member in your family with DH and in BMs family, and God help you if you say that they are not welcome to some event of yours.

Stop this and stop it now, it will only get worse.

purpledaisies's picture

I would reverse it on him and ask him how would he feel if he was invited to a wedding and his wife is supposed to sit 4 rows behind him and they were separated the whole time? How would he handle that? How would he feel how does he think his wife would feel? Put him of the spot like that and see what he says. I bet he wouldn't like it very much by not being able to sit with his wife or have her not be in pictures or even attend a dinner and she was expected to be excluded.

This is rude and he knows it he is testing the waters to see how far he can push his dad with his new step mom to see how much he can pretend she doesn't exist. It is up your dh to put his foot down and let his son know that he want all he wants but he will not allow his wife to be treated that as she is a part of him now and that will not change. If your dh doesn't step up for his wife (as you are the one thing he has left b/c his kids are grown) then he is not living up to his vows. If he allows his kids to disrespect you like that I would reconsider why you are with him.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Etiquette is in modern times just an excuse to be rude and selfish. Your SS is a grown man, about to be married. He doesn't get to pretend mummy and daddy are still together at this age. When the parents are divorced and with other partners the bridal table should consist of bride, groom. Matron of honor, best man bridesmaids and groomsman.

Then you and your husband could be seated at another table with family and friends as could BM. Taking your money and separating you from dhis not etiquette. It's bad manners.

jmvilen's picture

Here it is 2015, and yes I do still see crud posted on so-called etiquette sites like, "Once again, the bride has the last say, but typically the stepmother should sit in the third row behind the biological parents." Here is a quote from a bride herself: "First of all, as a bride, I don't want to celebrate MARRIAGE by requiring married people to not be with their spouse. Who does that???" I also don't get the whole, "It's my day" attitude with brides. That's not a free pass to insult people. As soon as you invite other people, a wedding is no longer just about you. You are hosting an event and that comes with certain responsibilities and social conventions. And, if dad is contributing to the wedding, so is stepmom. Whatever money dad contributes, both stepmom and dad will have to make up for by eating less that month, etc. They are a married couple, and their incomes are combined, just like the bride and grooms will be after they are married. Stepmom should be treated like dad’s spouse, because that is precisely what she is. And unless the bride and groom are planning on separating everyone from their spouses at their wedding, dad and stepmom are a packaged deal and should stay together just like any other married couple. Good news, though, I have actually seen, yes even on some etiquette sites, the mantra now being you DO keep married couples together. To me having the step-mom (and usually it is the step-mom and not the step-dad) sit on row 3 is a leftover from the turn of the century, and not from the 2000's from the 1900s.

Ruby55's picture

I have never heard of such poor etiquette. You are MARRIED to your husband. Of course you should be on the invite, sit with him,be at the rehearsal dinner. If your husband doesn't set them straight about how this works, he's in the wrong too. Never heard of such a thing, especially since you say you get along?

Ruby55's picture

I cannot imagine asking my dad, who paid for our entire wedding, to sit with my mom and not his wife! Both my parents walked me down the aisle. Mom sat in front row and dad and his wife sat in 2nd row. There were no photo of my dad and mom together. Anyone who is old enough to be married should understand what divorce means. While it's great to be civil and even friendly with an ex, there no need to play house and pretend they're married.

ldvilen's picture

“Go where you are celebrated, not tolerated." This is a quote I saw on someone else’s blog. I agree with you to the max, HWilliams9, on so many different levels. You are not out of line. My experiences are somewhat different than yours in that you are wise to already suspect what you are in for ahead of time. I was not. I went to my step-daughter’s wedding all excited, happy, and joyful and then got my soul absolutely crushed when the entire wedding party all seemed to be in some kind of conspiracy (it sure felt that way!) to keep my husband from me at all times. Still trying to get over that, and I don’t think I ever will. Before hand, I thought we all got along great. Dad and I had been married for years. I absolutely did not see “pretend like you don’t exist” coming at all. You are right to suspect that is indeed the case/what you are in for. After that, I’m all but certain I will not be going to my stepson’s wedding, now coming up a little over a year later. I have my own conspiracy theory, and that is that wedding planners instigate this so they can get their big tip from the bride/groom for giving them their fantasy day, complete with mommy and daddy still being married. If any, any etiquette, planner, etc. supports splitting up a married couple for a bride and groom’s wedding day, then how hypocritical can you get—yes, let’s celebrate one marriage by pretending another one doesn’t exist. Hubby getting Shanghaied is so common, any stepmother should anticipate this will occur, especially when bio-mom isn’t hitched. You were somewhat lucky in that you were at least given the decency of a heads-up ahead of time. Your husband will be treated as someone else’s husband. And, you will be treated like you don’t exist. All attending the show are expected to go along with this. WHY in Heaven’s name would any stepmom want to go to an event where she will be treated like that! I still care about my step-daughter and step-son more than I can say, but I am not planning on going to step-son’s wedding. I got the message the first time around. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

peacemaker's picture

your seat is next to your now husband...no one should come between a man and his wife...He should talk to his son to let him know how inappropriate the suggestion is...stand in the position you have been given as his wife....how tacky for any of them to expect to separate the two of you...Will the son be sitting next to his wife? Will every other couple on the planet that shows up be sitting with their wives?....Why on earth would he suggest such an odd request? ( I would ask him) It is not your fault that bm doesn't have a mate...and it is not your problem....your dh should have stood up for your position...bm is not his spouse anymore, and pretending that the two of you are not together as a couple is...well, pretentious and delusional...they all need to grow up.