You are here

Is this as strange as I think it is?

sleeplessinoklahoma's picture

OMG, someone please help me out here and tell me I am completely wrong or tell me it's okay or tell me I'm not completely insane in the way I am feeling. My soon to be husband has been divorced for more than 10 years. He got custody of the kids and is an extremely attentive parent. You could even say he is overly attentive. He dotes on his kids . They ask for something and he jumps to fulfill their wishes. Even if it interferes with our previous plans. Here is my latest dilemna. I am trying to rationalize this in my mind so it doesn't seem as weird as it feels like it is. His youngest son will graduate from high school this year. They are extremely close and he babies him to the extreme. His son is a very good, well mannered boy who I happen to like a lot. Anyway, this son still sleeps in bed with my soon to be. Not all the time, but sometimes. He will get in bed with his dad and have him scratch his back and then just sleep in bed with him. No, I do not believe there is anything of a sexual nature going on at all. But this son is 18. Am I completely insane thinking this is way beyond strange and extremely inappropriate? Isn't this supposed to stop when the child reaches a certain age? Say, 10 or so? Anyway, would like to hear some thoughts.

Most Evil's picture

Umm, yes that is strange. I remember sleeping with my mom when my dad would be out of town, but it stopped at oh, age FIVE! It probably doesn't mean anything weird, but it does need to stop!!

Doesn't SS want a girlfriend to scratch his back? Maybe you could suggest this to SS?? and DH-!!

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

Ummmm.... perfectson17 and I are very very close and occasionally he'll come lay down by me to chat... but SLEEP with me? Hell no! lol I'm sorry but that's just weird.

Angel72's picture

Yah, the line has become blurred for both of them and i think , you should have a chat with your soon to be husband and tell him that will have to stop. Tell him clearly, your son at 18 should not be sleeping next to you. AT ALL!!!! I know you guys love one another BUT....he's well over the age of askign a girl to sleep next to him, not his dad. See how your fiance reacts to that. Now if he defends it and takes offense, i suggest you hold back a bit more for the wedding....wait.

melis070179's picture

Extremely strange, and should've stopped over 10 years ago. I would bring it up to him.

"I child proofed my whole house, but they STILL get in!"

MarriedwithChild's picture

*clears throat* Ummmmmmmm, I am going to step out on a rope here and just briefly tell you, YES! That is beyond strange! OMG- I hope you haven't married into this yet. I would bring it up nicely and watch out for the look on his face...

I thought it was "sick" that my DH was bathing ss5 w/ door closed-wth- but at 18,I would be even more so worried....ummmmm, good luck and trust your intuition here please!!!!

Thetis's picture

lol door closed??? I yell at DH to close the door... my god they can be soo loud playing in there! I'm also trying to train DH to LOCK the bathroom door if he's using the toilette. He doesn't seem to like lock doors but SD is 3 and a half and she's going to be able to remember walking in and seeing DH taking a dump :sick:

aleshiafenner's picture

I agree that needs to be stopped. Mu husband mentioned that his son 14 still sleeps with his mother and I was like WHAT!!!! I told him that was just not right and honestly kinda weird. Which raised all kinds of questions in my mind.

I agree also. Another at age 14 sleeping w/ mom? That's nuts. Like I said, use your head here...

I'm dealing w/ a 5 year old ss here who has to have his butt wiped, can't put on socks, sleeps w/ BM-STILL?! He doesn't even know how to bathe himself yet?!

I have just "noticed" this whole co-sleeping thing lately and I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm not Michael J. here and I think it is beyond strange...

I am a bio-mom and my son was sleeping in his OWN room, in his own crib/ bed since he was 5 DAYS OLD!!!

BS18 is a very, normal young man today...ugh*???

Thetis's picture

MwC is totally right, how are we supposed to raise self-reliant, competant, confident children if they never have to do anything for themselves... and this includes self-soothing tbe able to fall asleep. SDs cousin still sleeps with her mom at 2 and a half. The mom is one of my best friends but I can not understand the situation. She complains that the child stays up until 3 am. Then refuses to sleep in its own bed. lol Now shes worried because she hasen't been able to have another child yet. Hmmmm I wonder why.

Ya, wonder why? (lmao) I think learning what a bleeping LOCKED door is might help? sheesh*

SS5 will get up like 5 times a night and come bang on our door, which has got to stop...With a baby coming into the home soon, there is zero way he is going to disturb.

I can't be the only cruel biatch out there that wants to teach a child how to fly on their own one day, can I?

"take a dump" lol

Yeah, when I TRY to take a "dump" ( merde, french for shi*) ss5 either stands at the door outside or lays down and "looks" underneath?!

Great memories this kid is going to have in between seeing his daddy take showers and watching his mommy change her clothes and sleep with him?! OMG

Pantera's picture

I would say that 10 years old is too old for that. That definitely needs to stop, IT IS WEIRD!!!

"If I turn into another, Dig me up from under what is covering the better part of me" -Incubus

Letty's picture

My 2.5 yr old sd sleeps with us every night she's with us and it seriously annoys me to the point that i've started sleeping on the couch when she is there. We only have a double sized bed, and i don't need to be squished off the edge, kicked, and have a bottle spilled all over me, or worse, wet pull-ups against my back! My guy says that she can't sleep if it's not next to him because it's always been that way since she was a baby, but he doesn't even come to bed till after midnight, so if i want to go to bed early, i have to crawl into bed with her, which i feel weird about and i'd totally understand her bm feeling weird about, hence the sleeping on the couch! We bought her her own Dora the Explorer bed, fun pillows she loves, and she just jumps into our bed dragging them all with her, and guy lets her everytime. She's never going to learn to sleep by herself!

jenjen's picture

I think the last time my darling now 13 slept in my bed was when he was about 10 and that was because he stopped in got caught up in a movie I was watching and accidentally fell asleep... and he was like "wth mom, why didn't u wake me up?"....

Yeah, have to say.....VERY STRANGE!!

Constantly_guilty's picture

Weird. Needs to stop. I take it you two aren't living together yet? Because this would not be happening in my bed. My Aunt slept with her two sons until they were well into their teens. We all thought it was creepy.