You are here

What are we having for....

steplife's picture

Dinner/breakfast/lunch

SD7 has this habit of asking what we are having for our next meal during the current one! It drives me INSANE, I'm not sure if this is just her or if all kids do it. this happens every day for at least one, if not every meal! We are in the middle of eating dinner last night:

SD: what are we having for breakfast?
ME: why are you thinking about food right now, you haven't even finished this meal.
SD: I don't know, I just want to see what we are having
ME: I'm not sure, I'll figure it out in the morning.
SD: well I want donuts
I just ignore
SD: can we have donuts?
Me: I said I would figure it out in the morning

Every time she asks what we are having and says what she wants to have I want to scream NO! QUIT ASKING ABOUT FOOD ALL THE TIME!

I'm not sure if it will ever stop.

Ninji's picture

Skids ask me all day what we are having for dinner starting while I'm making breakfast. EVEN after I answer them, them will ask again 20minutes later. Everytime I cook, SS8 will say he's hungry. Um, you can see I'm cooking right. Food on the stove? I don't get it either. It's not like they have ever missed a meal.

Elizabeth's picture

I did this with SD, Dh thought it was "mean" and I should ALWAYS answer SD when she asks me a question. Gah!

steplife's picture

I fear my DH would also view this as "mean" if someone doesn't respond to her right away. He stops conversations with anyone when SD chimes in!

asgoodasitgets's picture

My DH does this! It drives me nuts! I'm like "Can we just enjoy the meal we're eating now before we start planning the next one?" Jeez.

Jsmom's picture

My son did this, but not food, experiences...If we were at an amusement park, he would ask what was next. Has always done it. Now at 19, I am used to it, drives everyone else nuts, but I think his mind works faster than others.

furkidsforme's picture

I did this a little to my Mom about dinners only, and I am not a child of divorce. I just REALLY REALLY like food and my Mom is an awesome cook, and I enjoyed thinking about the awesome meal that was ahead of me.

But asking about Breakfast is a little odd.

steplife's picture

Maybe she is just a "foodie" and excited about the next meal but my mind is thinking she's asking because she is "looking for something better next" than what's on the table presently. My DH and SD also like to hover when I'm cooking! Another pet peve. I remember my mom yelling "GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN" at the kids growing up because of all the hovering and questions when clearly dinner would be ready soon.

perfectsaralee's picture

I get the same question often. Answer is always the same: Fried snot, baked boogers and boiled cabbage. Does your skid have access to healthy and tasty meals when not with you? I wonder if it's a valid concern they have about what, if anything, will be next. And it could come across as a bit mean if you don't reply to them at all if they ask. Call a quick family meeting and let the entire family know that meals are always prepared and served and not to worry about it as you will provide. If they continue to ask at the table, tell them you're already addressed their concerns about future meals in the family meeting. If you'd like to know what we're having, please come into the kitchen to ask when it's cooking. One day at a time.

Tuff Noogies's picture

pickled pigs feet. that's what we are having.
}:) that's actually dh's go-to answer!

we usually make a joke about it instead of getting too worked up. i've learned that's a fairly standard kid question, so u've got a long road ahead of you...

if they pester you about it after cracking a joke, just repeat your answer every time until they go "aaarrggg, nevermind." you gotta be more stubborn about it then they are Blum 3

IslandGal's picture

LOL!! My boys used to do this to me all the time too.. note "used"! I'd tell them "hot shit on toast" or "wind pie" or some other stupid remark. They got the hint eventually and stopped asking.. maybe you could try it on your skid }:)

Tabi-b's picture

I just say, poison. His kids will always ask what I'm making or 'what's in this' with their faces all crinkled up in disgust. My response is always, poison. My son laughs but I know the bf doesn't like it when I answer this way. But I think a lil more respect should be taught by their father so why should I change my answer?! Picky eaters, they try to be but I'm a good cook so I know it'll be edible.
Poison, is my answer. lol

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I don't cook for the skids. The ONLY time I am part of meal preparation for skids is when DH and I make a dinner for all of us TOGETHER. But COOK for the skids? Buy them donuts?? I'll cook for my flying monkeys first.