You are here

We tried to give in

Totheend12345's picture

Well we tried to give in and take SD school clothes shopping. She does need some things (jeans all hers are high waters, and maybe a few shirts most are belly shirts she has grown 3-4 inches over summer). 

So DH text her and ask her if she rather go shopping in store or find some things online (my suggestion because this would be so much better). She said online woohoo!!!

Well SD sends me a list this morning, we limited her to 250.00.  Well she sent me 3 things, a jacket that was $80.00. Shoes for like 139.00, then some stupid hoodie for like another 65.00.  First of all she was over her limit and for real she picked 3 items to last her all school year. (well untill winter).

What limits do you give step kids or your own when shopping for clothes. I hate going to the store with her because it is the same battle, she wants all this name brand crap and then only walks out with one or two things.  I can walk out of a store with an entire outfit for 30.00, when she can barely buy socks for that.

I want to be reasonable, SD wears all name brand (our fault) but I am to the point not any more. Unless its on a great sale I am done buying anything that cost more just because of the brand.  What is reasonable for me to ask her to try to find. I think for that amount she should be able to get a lot more. A few pairs of jeans, a few shirts, and shoes.

TrueNorth77's picture

Take her to Marshalls! She should be able to get several jeans, shirts ($10-20 each), shoes, all for $250. Most is name brand. I see teenage girls shopping there all the time together. I buy most of SD's clothes there, and it's all really nice stuff. Or, tell her she has to find at least 2 pairs of jeans, 6 tops, etc, for $250 online, and then you will pay for it.

beebeel's picture

I would tell her she needs to find X pairs of jeans and X number of shirts with that $250. If she still won't, take her to thrift stores where she can load up on bags full of name brands for $30. No way would I spend that kind of money on three items that won't last more than a year. 

Totheend12345's picture

DH hates shopping I love it, but not with SD lol.  I miss the days were I could just go buy everything and she would wear it.

Marshalls is a great idea I forgot about that place.

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

The skids are growing fast enough right now we stick pretty well to walmart stuff... (Dh and I just don't get new clothes for ourselves. LMAO). It feels like right now they only wear things for a few months before growing out of it. Maybe once they slow down growing wise we'll look into nicer things...

However school shopping to me means the necessities. One or two "nicer" things MAYBE. But for the most part anything she needs. So pants and shirts are needed? That's what she's getting.

Wrong Way Diva's picture

I read somewhere that middle school kids would rather have one or two 'name brand' items then 5-6 generics.   It's just a thing at that age.  My daughter got better in HS and now she is an amazing bargain shopper.    Do you have a Plato's Closet nearby or a TJ Maxx?   Both have the name brand jeans and hoodies but at much better prices.   When she is older, have her get a job at the mall--my daughter worked for Justice Brands (little girls clothes), so she didn't spend her whole check in the store but got great discounts at Maurices and Dress Barn.

Totheend12345's picture

she is 13. So i am guessing its an age thing. I hate that she will want all this now but in two weeks need jeans. I understand wanting nice things but then she doesnt have the things she needs. And she will not buy plato closet, I will try tjmaxx.  Honestly a price tag is a big factor when she shops. If it was the same top one was 10.00 and other was 100.00 even though its the same she would have to have the 100.00 one.

Survivingstephell's picture

The best lesson my daughters ever learned was giving them a set amount of cash and let them control their shopping.  One went for quanity and the other for "quality".   This was middle school age.  They all are now in their 20's and shop consignment and sales like no other.  

I know online is "easier, but money lesons need to be taught in person.  If this is a lesson DH wants her to learn then he needs to take her shopping.  With a big old limit on how much she gets.  IMO

justmakingthebest's picture

I would just respond back that those aren't the kinds of things you are trying to buy her for the school year. Tell go back and pick out a few tops, a couple of pairs of jeans, hoodies that aren't $65 (geeze). 

I would send her a couple of links to websites where she will get better deals and sales- like old navy, or thread up is an awesome online consignment! If she wants name brands she can do awesome there!

Coco72's picture

When my kids got to be this age (4 girls) we would go back to school shopping, they each had a budget and the money, one of my daughters loved "Jordan's" (the sneakers), they were REALLY expensive, like $200, if she wanted to spend her money on them she could, but I didn't open my wallet again. Her sisters would get tons of new stuff and she would come home with an outfit and her Jordans.

In your case I would look online for the 3 things she wants, try Amazon, most times I can find the same item there for a lot less, also for shoes try Zappos. Search online for coupons, right now most stores have sales going on, you might be able to save 20 - 40% with coupons. If you find the items cheaper, do not tell her, just order them. Then take the $50 - $75 you hopefully save and get her some necessities, jeans, shirts, socks, etc from a store like TJMaxx or Marshalls and just put them in her closet, trust me, she will wear them when nothing else fits.

Good luck :)