You are here

Teenage girl acting like she can't get a break

SweetMom's picture

I don't know what is going through this kids head. Two weeks ago I took her shopping and spent 250.00 on 1 pair of jeans, 1 shirt, 1 bra, 2 shorts. She went home and her BM bought her 2 jeans a couple of shirts. She already had some handmi downs from her sister as bang around the house clothes. I took her this past week and spend 250.00 on 2 pants, 3 shirts, socks, and 100.00 pair of shoes for her to put up for schooling and a extra 50.00 registration fee. This is not including what she gets at her other house. We go out to eat last night and she comes out wearing a old shirt and some exercise pants to go out to restaurant. She said she had nothing to wear and couldn't wear the white jeans I bought and already wore one of the jeans 3 times already. She's out of her mind if she thinks we are going to fork out more money for clothes right now. She acts like she gets nothing all the time and acts like everyone else gets away with murder and no one gives her breaks. Is this typical thing from a teenage girl? And she is skinny and very lazy. After dinner she runs to her room acting like she so busy until someone cleans up the kitchen.

ChiefGrownup's picture

If I were dad I would give her a dress code for leaving the house. "Oh, sweetie, I see you're having trouble dressing again. I'll go pick out an outfit for you." That ought to send her racing to her room to get there first. To be clear, Dad should be the one saying that.

As for you, you can grab the stuff you bought and return it or donate it if already worn. That ought to cure her of complaining about her clothes.

Next, institute a system of chores for clothes. She wants new jeans? That's 5 mopped kitchens, 10 dust the living rooms, keep your room and bathroom clean every day for 30 days, and 5 vacuum the whole house.

She's long overdue for learning to pitch in and she also clearly needs to appreciate the clothes she gets.

SusieCue's picture

I couldn't agree more with you. My 15 year old SD is the same way. It's always "I have NO CLOTHES. So and so's parents buy clothes for their kids, really nice clothes and the parents dress like crap so their kids can always have name brand." 

Hahaha, excuse me kid, but...no. I will not neglect my own self-care so you can wear $100 ripped jeans. That will never happen. 

Awhile back, I bought several nice bras for SD15, and I bought myself one new bra, because it was cute. The bras I bought for SD15 however, did not visibly say "Victoria's Secret" or "Pink" on them. The one I bought for myself was a plain black bra with thicker white straps that said "Victoria's Secret" in Black lettering-- I got it because it matched a pair of underwear that I had. Mind you, SD15 picked her bras out and could've picked one out like mine, but didn't. Instead, she chose to steal my bra and hide it in her room. When confronted, she claimed she was going to wear it for awhile and then give it back, which I knew was a lie or it wouldn't have been hiding in the back of her drawer. 

So I took back everything I had gotten for her, including make-up and her hair straightener. When I was finished, she had one outfit left for the last few weeks of the school year, frizzy hair and no visible eyelashes (no mascara).

MineAndYours's picture

It is pretty typical but I would put a squash to the behavior as fast as you can. It not something you want carrying over into young adulthood that's for sure.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I'm confused... Are YOU spending money on her or is your DH and you take her shopping?? YOU don't have to spend a penny on her unless you want to do so. Not your circus; not your monkey.

She gets out of cleaning up after dinner because her parents let her. Do not clean up after her. Let her father do it. When he's tired of picking up after his little darling, he'll make her do it.

SweetMom's picture

in our household, he works, I stay at home with my son that is special needs but receive a small check that pays electric and water bill. I own the home from years of being single working mother and managed to pay it off myself so it's all combined assets which includes money he works for. I don't question money pulled from his check for child support. I however use our bank account to pay all his daughters medical or clothing. Her BM pays for clothing worn at her house and suppose to buy half school clothes. In our household it has worked for 6 years or better. What's not working is teenaged girl attitude. Someone mentioned later in comments that it was too much money for what I bought and I agree. I guess I'm going to have to just start shopping for clothing for her to wear that fits and maybe it will come down to me getting him to go through and dumping all her clothes on the floor. She's 13 fixing to be 14 in another 2 months. She's going in the 8th grade. Her BM doesn't want her to go to public school and wants to home school her. I really don't know how she can afford to do that when she's homeless living with her parents and they fight, according to std. I know it's not my problem but I am concerned about the little girl because I love her.

secret's picture

My middle DD is always asking for stuff. The last time she said she had no clothes to wear... I literally emptied her dresser and closet, gathered whatever was in the laundry, dumped all of it on her bed, and told her to start trying stuff on so that we could figure out what fit and what didn't.

She had a small fit...which I put an end to immediately...mama don't play that way.

I told her that I'm not going to blindly buy her new clothes, because she already had more than what fit in her dresser and closet...and unless I was certain she didn't have enough, I wasn't going to do a damn thing about it.

She did go through the clothes - some didn't fit... by the end of it, she still had enough outfits to wear something different for 3 weeks without having to do laundry....

...got no clothes, huh?

She hasn't asked since.

She's nearly the same height/weight as me, so now and then I throw her a bone and let her borrow something of mine... as long as she gives it back in the same condition as it was in when I let her borrow it.

SweetMom's picture

I agree, wtg! It's different for us to do that. I can get him to dump all her clothes but he can't make her try in all them. She will be sneaky. I have seen her roll up shorts on the top to pretend they are to small and put shirt over. She's so sneaky. And when I mention something she gets all quiet when I call her out and gets on her cell phone her mom bought and then he gets a call of botching and he gets frustrated and ruins our day. She just wants new things always

SugarSpice's picture

i learned my lesson about loaning things to skids. never again.

i loaned a sweater to one sd because it was cold. dh took her to a restaurant.

dh was so star struck in the presence of his daughter that he did not notice the sweater got caught in the car door. the sweater was pulled and the sleeve torn, and the yarns were all over the place. this sweater had sentimental meaning to me.

never again.

Acratopotes's picture

oh teen girls lol.. they never have anything to wear.

SO went through the same issues, Aergia never had anything to wear, quit right as well cause what ever she bought she was not allowed to wear going out with us, I do not go out with a slut dress girl. Sorry...

SO would simply tell Aergia, sort out your cloths and I will decide if you have enough or not, she did sort out her cupboards and there was basically nothing left, Before SO handed her his credit card, I said, let's see what we can safe and donate, we went through the bags she put out in the trash... (I usually take it out for donating, she simply trash) In the 4 bags of small cloths and old cloths, we got 2 bags of brand new cloths, still in the shop bags with price tags on. SO was angrier then what I've ever seen him, the cloths was bought the week-end before. He asked her about it and she said, she does not like it any more... he said tough.. not getting my card then, and he did not hand over his card till today.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Sorry, I can't get past the fact that you spent $250 on five items of clothing. For someone else's kid, no less. :jawdrop:

I don't think my entire wardrobe costs $250!

SweetMom's picture

I was trying to make her feel special because she told me they spend tons of money on her half sister at the other house and let's her sister get away with basically murder. I believe her because I have witnessed for years seeing them do for the other and not her. They got the other girl a brand new iPhone when it first came out when that kid was 10 years old and we let that girl come over at times. We noticed the other little girl always wearing newer clothing and they would give my step kid the handmi downs. They are both 2 years apart. My step daughter has always been promised new things and never got by BM. Their reason and told my std was because she had a daddy and the BM got child support which BM used money for their family unit which included them all. I guess she buttered me up and I fell for it.

twoviewpoints's picture

She's a teenage female. Of course she never has enough clothes. You could purchase thousands of dollars worth and she'd still have 'not a thing to wear' or 'you expect me to wear THAT'.

Teach the kid how to do her own laundry. If her clothing is dirty, well wash it kiddo.

Next time don't play her game. Teenage girls love me me me games. Just go on out the door to dinner and leave her standing there in her old clothes in the middle of the room. She's a teenager. She'll be fine. Go enjoy your meal. A few times of leaving her home might just change her mind on what she actually could have worn and be happy she has it.

I'm about to take my 17yr old for lunch and some shopping (well, if she ever gets done finding something to wear and finishes beautifying herself *rolls eyes*...this might take a while).

The other thing is, hand-me-downs feel 'used' and 'oh goodie, I get big sister/cousins clothes, whoopie' , give the kid $50 next time you're in a shopping mood and send her into Good Will . You'll be amazed at the selection and if you keep digging, the quality of some of the choices. She'll come out with a whole bag of 'new' clothes and wonder why you've not suggested this store before.

Get the bras, panties and shoes brand new and then let the kid go hog wild in resale store. The racks are full of nice items that some other teen girl conned Mom/SM into then either didn't wear or decided she'd worn it enough. Just be picky on which store and area you select to check out, not all are the same.

Ispofacto's picture

"Why do so many of our kids–raised in the most affluent nation on earth–fail to thrive and strive and enter adulthood lacking appropriate and effective coping skills? Drs. Swihart and Cotter have come up with a revolutionary theory on why our kids are having such a tough time of it today: It is because we allow our children to manipulate us, and the world around them, rather than teaching them how to respond to life and life’s tough situations. The result is that manipulative behavior is directly tied to low self-esteem, which only heightens its negative impact on kids, families, and the larger communities we live in.

"The good news is that Drs. Swihart and Cotter have created a radical and clinically proven program for breaking manipulative behavior and getting our kids back on track. The program teaches parents to say no without feeling guilt; to resist the urge to feel responsible for their child’s happiness; to view their children as emotionally competent and resilient; and most importantly, to realize that effective parenting means allowing your child to make mistakes and develop a sense of competence, which leads to enhanced self-esteem and an ability to live independently and successfully in the real world." The Manipulative Child : How to Regain Control and Raise Resilient, Resourceful,and Independent Kids by Swihart, Ernest W., Jr.

Rags's picture

Repossess all of the new clothes for a few weeks and demonstrate what reality is in a way that makes the point in a very unpleasant way.

And.. no more running away while everyone else cleans up.  Put up a calendar and mark on it who does clean up for a couple of weeks.  Then pull all of the kids over to the calendar and review the facts. Then send everyone else away to relax and do whatever they want until this SD works off her hours of work deficit compared to everyone else. Until she works it off she can do it ALL by herself.  Once she works off the deficit then everyone else can phase back in while SD is forced to continue to clean along side everyone else.

Having to do it all alone should make the right point.

Zero tolerance for crap behavior combined with escalating age appropriate consequences works to modify behavior.

So invoke the zero tolerance abject misery model on SD until she learns  and complies.