You are here

Want your opinion on how 9 yr. old girls are towards daddy

JustPeachy22's picture

I only had a son so opinions about FSD9 are appreciated. It absolutly grates my nerves how she wants to constantly be next to FDH and say I love you Daddy in a baby voice over and over again.Its not just FDH though its anyone in the family. Before I disengaged, I couldn't sit down in the living room before she was jumping in my lap and saying in her best fake baby voice (only in front of FDH) I love you, you are so pretty blah, blah, blah. FSS4 does not behave this way and BS never did that. FDH and I were having a conversation this morning about the things my BS13 does that absolutly make me crazy like eyes rolling and the sighing, normal teen stuff. I told him that when FSD starts the i love you hanging all over you thing, I will walk out of the room because I can't take it. He seems to think that she is completly normal and I just don't know anything about little girls....so I come here to ask you all...is this normal????

the_stepmonster's picture

My SD9 is this exact same way. She is always hanging all over Daddy and wanting him to give her piggy back rides and holding is hand in the grocery store. When he comes home from work and goes to change she will go to the bedroom door and knock until he comes out. She plays damsel in distress for every little thing. DH says its because they don't get any attention from their mother so when they come over they are attention-starved. I thought that was actually a pretty good theory...but it's still super annoying.

I finally had it when this past weekend she started replacing pics of DH and I with pics of herself. He had a wedding picture of us as the background screen of his phone and she changed it, changed all the computer wallpapers to pics of herself, got a framed pic of herself and stuck it in our bedroom. I've been trying to make more of an effort to include her if she needs that much attention, but will also make DH call her out if she is purposely being obnoxious for attention.

JustPeachy22's picture

WOW! I do have to say that FDH would FLIP if ANY kids were in our bedroom touching our things or playing with our cell phones!!

Oh I completely flipped...especially after he said it was "cute"! He honestly could not see why I was upset about it no matter how I tried to explain it to him. He is so dumb.

JustPeachy22's picture

Oh no he did not say that was cute! Parents bedrooms are off limits unless invited or asked what part of that is so hard for him? I always hear about skids going through smoms things I swear if that ever happens to me I will loose it!!

One Life Once Chance's picture

"Parents bedrooms are always off limits" - oh how true that should be for all. I guess I would ask him (I always put it like this with DH when we've had controversy about SS behavior) - When you were in the home with your ex - was this ever allowed.

I don't care if it's a Bio or a Step - children should not be allowed to rummage in their parents rooms!

No manners - and - no respect.

g-nuh's picture

OMG!

JustPeachy22's picture

That is what FDH says- she doesn't get enough attention but this is coming from a man who thinks BM is a bad mom because she doesn't get FSD9 pedicures at the spa.

LOL! That's so ridiculous.

Unfortunately they really don't get attention at BM's. She is perpetually exhausted and screams at them to be quiet so she can nap in her bedroom, she refuses to do any kid-activities with them like even going to the movies or a park, and dumps them at her parents house every chance she gets. So I totally understand it, but, like StepFamilyFriend said below, it's when it gets flirtatious or when I feel she is trying to compete with me to be his mini-wife when I make him put a stop to it.

CONFUSED1020's picture

YES!!!!! correct her when she does these things before it gets out of hand. I went thru the same situation with DH ex-sd19 and mind you theres a big age difference between your FSD and this girl I had to deal with and at 19 shes very well developed and was still hanging on him like his girlfriend. She also would get in the middle of us at dinner or just watching tv she had to sit in between us and throw her legs on his lap. I regret so bad not putting her in her place sooner maybe I wouldnt hate her as much as I do now. But I would recommend that you remind her how to act like a lil lady and just a simple "FSD it doesnt look nice when youre doing those kind of things to daddy" and I would also hope your FDH is supportive of this, mine wasnt at first and allowed her to do as she pleased and you have no idea how much that has created problems between us. Even though she has not talked to my DH in over 4 months and he says he wants nothing to do with her cause of all the damamge she has done to our relationship we still argue about her.

THEE WITCH's picture

Glad your DH finally opened up his eyes to what was happening. My DH, although he has disengaged somewhat, doesn't see SD18's antics as anything but being a 'loving daughter'. SD18.. is also a well developed easy on the eye young lady. DH frequently takes her on motorcycle rides and preen's... when someone suggests they saw him with a "HOT YOUNG HOTTIE GF"... he will correct them, telling them it was his D18. My BD12 & BD9 have a great relationship with DH. Last year at DH's birthday party SD18, had to go out of her way to make sure HER gift was opened first before my BD's. And went out of her way to cuddle up next to DH on the couch after my BD9 got up after sitting next to him. Batting her eyelashes at him and throwing glares at BD9. :jawdrop:

CONFUSED1020's picture

We went thru hell for him to realize that it was not "normal" and I think what made it even worse was that she was not blood related. When I first met him he had told me that people were always confusing her for his girlfriend (I wonder how she was hanging on to him then). She was also jealous of my 3 bio daughters ages 12,10 and 8 she hated it when he would pay attention to mine or did things with me and my girls. She would tell me that she was the queen he was the king and I was just the princess and he didnt have the balls to defend me or correct her. She would constantly touch her breast, talk about her breast to him or in front of him. She told me in a conversation that her dad (my DH bf at the time) was a sex addict and he needed to have sex every night in order for him to be happy, I was waiting for her to tell me how he liked it too. When she would tell me these things I would tell DH he would say that he would talk to her but never did. When she found out that we were getting married she had the biggest fit and stopped talking to him (thank God) I told him it was stupid that she acts like this because she was not involved with our every day routine if anything my girls should be more affected by this relationship because 1. my girls younger and dont quite understand why mommy and daddy are not together 2. youre moving in with us in "our" home so they will have to adjust to having another man around and 3. they have to get used to seeing their mommy with someone else other than daddy (my DH was the only man ive been with since being with their dad for 13 year) everything happend so fast for my girls in less than a year me and ther dad broke up I met someone else and married this person and now they have a step dad thats a lot for a kid to take in however I feel very blessed that they adjusted well, and heres this 19yo having a fit cause shes not the center of attention anymore :sick:

JustPeachy22's picture

Wow, oh wow she sounds like one girl in need of some therapy!!! I am 33 years old and still too emabarssed to talk about anything sex related around my parents!!!

CONFUSED1020's picture

She was very involved in our realtionship, before i met her she wanted to know if I had big breast, if we were having sex put it this way by the time I met her she knew everything about me and I totally blame DH for that because he did not respect "our privacy" and saw her as a friend (which is another big mistake) and then she would come to me and give me advice on our arguments or whatever discussion I had with him. I was so fed up with all this crap where I was ready to walk away and finally the day we were getting married DH agreed to talk to her he texted her and asked if he can meet with her to talk to her she never responded back and has not talked to him since. Now that I have told him all the other stuff she said and did to try to break us up and how much damage she has left he wants nothing to do with her either he says "a real daughter would want to see her dad happy and she knew I was very happy with you and wanted to marry you and she still didnt care about that and continued to try to break us up" uuuhhh duuhhh she was not your real daughter maybe thats why she did what she did...

hbell0428's picture

Ya this freaks me out too. My SD is 14 now and still gets a little weird but a couple years ago..........gag!! She just had to be close to him kind of like she was competing with me; she would glare at me out of the corner of her eye - it used to freak me out. It made me distant from DH - and she LOVED that! DH caught on thank god; and stood by me. But yes, this is a gross thing girls go through with dads.

stepfamilyfriend's picture

I think it's perfectly normal for little girls to do that. Dad is the first male in their lives and many will flirt and push that line a bit.
Now, it is up to the father to not engage the girl, when she pushes that line. Hugs and kisses and all are fine, but the moment dad can tell that it's getting flirtatious, he should not respond to that behavior. Unfortunately many, many dads kind of like that and don't see much harm in it. One thing is not seeing harm in it, which there doesn't have to be, because what the girl is doing is normal; another thing is to either enjoy that kind of attention or even just give her extra attention when she does it.
Maybe a way to approach it with dad is to bring up that little girls that flirt with dad and get some reward from it, often go on to flirt with other adult males, and does dad want that?

JustPeachy22's picture

Good idea- I didn't see that angle and if I put it that way maybe he'll be able to see why it needs to be toned down. I honestly think he still sees her as a toddler! He kept asking me EOW Can you please put FSD hair up? and EOW I would put FSD hair up until I finally sat down with FDH to inform him that his daughter was old enough to put her own hair up. He looked completly shocked as if I told him she just went out and got her driver's license!! lOL

Oi Vey's picture

I have a 10 year old daughter and she and I are very close. She likes to snuggle, sit with me on the couch, chill in bed with me on Sunday morning, etc.
I don't think it's "weird" or "flirting" or anything. She just tends to be affectionate.

I wish my older kids were still willing to snuggle once in awhile, but that's "not cool." Wink

My daugher has always been cuddly and loving and there is nothing wrong with that. Most little girls will explore their relationship with their dad, and that is not wrong either, but the dad should see the difference between loving affection and flirting and respond to the former and not encourage the latter. It's pretty easy to spot. I am not saying to make the little girl feel bad or ashamed; just don't feed it.
This is partly why so many sexually abused girls feel so bad, because they may have flirted and so feel responsible in a way. It's a natural thing for most girls and they are just learning.

JustPeachy22's picture

It also goes beyond just Daddy to, well, everyone and anyone in her vicinity. I just personally feel that 9 year olds are too big to be sitting on laps.

JustPeachy22's picture

GROSS!!!

hbell0428's picture

I hate when SD14 struts into our bedroom like she owns the place!! Bothers the Hell right out of me......I'll be downstairs and SD will just walk right upstairs and fling the door open; what if he was changing!!

hbell0428's picture

I think the point here is NOT that cuddling is wrong!! You should always show your kids how to show affection!! The point I got was that it's weird when you are sitting with DH and SD gets kind of weird about it.......Mine would stand by the edge of the wall and glare at me when DH and I watched movies...... I could FEEL her starring at me...Or when DH and I would be sitting and talking SD would bounce in between and all but put her back to me and talk to DH - this is weird and NOT OK

JustPeachy22's picture

Oh yeah that is weird. I have been on the recieving end of some straight up "somebody needs to die" looks from FSD and "lurking" , but she also does this when I am talking to FMIL

hbell0428's picture

I get those kind too; and my SD is so good that DH never sees it. It's like they take lessons or something

jojo68's picture

OMG my SD does that too when I talk to MIL...she tries to get between us when we talk and interrupt the conversation! Crazy

JustPeachy22's picture

LOL LOL One night we had FMIL and FFIL and another couple over for dinner, FSS4 ammused himself with his toys after dinner while FSD9 ammused herself trying to get me, FMIL and my friend to stop talking in the kitchen here are some of her tactics.

Miiissss FSM.....(pitiful voice).. I have a headache
"Well go lie down on the couch and see if you feel better"
Ok

5 mins. later

MISSSUS FSM MY head still huuuuurts and its too louuuuuud in therrrreeeee

FMIL-" We'll give you a little medicine and then you can go to the bed and rest:

OK

5 mins. later stomping through the kitchen and sighing FSD grabs pillows off couch makes a bed on the kitchen floor smack in the middle of us all! Problem solved. LOL

And don't you know FDH is busy talking to the men and has not noticed Any of this!!!

jojo68's picture

I would tend that think that girls who are all over their fathers and other males in their family will be this way with boyfriends and no good could come of that...just saying. She is learning how to respond to men by the way she acts with her father.

I am curious about this theory...anyone who has been through this see a trend in the way their SD acts/acted with her father when she was 8-11 years old and the way she acts with a boyfriend later?

Mainestepmom's picture

I am so glad I found this site! I have the exact same problem with my 12 year old SD. She and my DH have had a very close relationship since I met her 7 years ago, but the physical nature of the relationship has increased since she started puberty and even more so in the last few months. She holds his hand, strokes his head, and is generally within only two feet of him the entire weekend when she is with us. My 3 year old daughter is more independent than her. My husband is complaining to me about the lack of personal space she gives him, but is afraid to say anything to her about it because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. But it really creeps me out! I have never been physically affectionate with my father or step-father. Often I feel like SD is the second wife! It is like she is flirting with her father- and he doesn't see it that way- he still sees her as a small kid. Also, she often says things that I have said 15 minutes before, but passes them off as her own comments. I really don't think she is doing this all intentionally and trying to compete or anything like that- because she is generally a really sweet kid. But I read from many of the other comments here that this doesn't necessarily stop soon! ACK! ( posted this under teenage stepchildren in a forum too!)

Jojo68 says: "She is learning how to respond to men by the way she acts with her father."

More specifically, she is learning how to act with men, by how her father responds to her. Id it did not work on dad, or other close males in their childhood, they would drop it.
The teens mentioned in this thread that act this way, have learned from dad it it works and it's ok. The fathers are at fault here, but it's easier to blame the girls. My DH never responded to any baby talk, little looks or anything else. We had two neighboring girls, sisters, that would come over and spend time with our girls. They were so used to flirting with their daddy ( actually daddy ended up in jail for 6 months for videotaping his 14 year old in the shower with a hidden cam !!!!) that they would try the same thing at our house. When Dh and his teen son were outside talking and the older one would come up and flirt with them, all it took was for DH to give her a WTF look and say:" What are you doing here ? " She never tried that again and acted normal after that. The younger one had this baby voice thing that was so annoying and after everybody at our house, in different ways, let her know that we would not talk to her when she did that, she stopped. She never did it again at our house.
So, no. Nothing wrong with girls trying this out. It is normal. What is not normal is dads that encourage it.

CONFUSED1020's picture

Unfortunately the majority of these dads are too blind to see it for themselves and need someone on the outside looking in to tell them its not ok. They continue to see them as lil girls. I have 3 bio girls 12,10 and 8 they do not act like this with their bio dad or with DH because thats what me as their mother teaches them to respect their body and not to hang on any male, in school or at home. I wonder what these bio moms think about their daughters acting like this with their dad or if bio mom is with a new man if their daughter acts like this with SD.

JustPeachy22's picture

I swear every family photo the BM puts up on facebook has FSD9 siting in BM's husand lap and FSS4 beside mommy. Its gross.

hbell0428's picture

I am sorry but I don't think it's always DH's fault; at least not mine! DH always tells SD to stop it and never let's it get as creepy as some - SD knows it bothers me - SURPRISE - some kids do this sort of sh** just to rub people the wrong way. I was a SK for 15 years! I used to laugh at my Stepparents when they would fight. I would do something wrong - my bio's would stick up for me - then they would fight and I would no longer be in the spot light!!

jojo68's picture

I agree...it is a combination of both. My DH tells her constantly to get off of him but then when she gets mad he feels bad about it then cuddles her to make it up to her for hurting her feelings...viscious cycle...where SD wins either way.

g-nuh's picture

personally, i dont think its normal and i would be equally annoyed with the lame baby talk and over the top effection. she's trying to get a rise out of you.

had enough 29's picture

just a question since girls are like that with there dads ,are boys like that with there moms,my ss 13 has for years went into our bedroom and would go through my clothes and cologne,and now hes big enough to wear some of my stuff ,i have to lock up our room or take some of my expensive stuff with me when i leave the house its so bad ,and when were in bed sometimes he just barges right in and i have to yell at him and remind him to knock,yah but hes also made little comments to his younger brother that she loves me more than him ss 13, because he knows younger brother will tell her ,hes so manipulateing,then when i try to discipline him he threatens to run away which makes her mad at me ,,,, i would probly rather have a teenage girl than a boy,i feel like im in a constant battle for territory almost like two dogs ,but him being in our room really pisses me off!!!

jojo68's picture

I think boys being like that with their moms is much less common. Fighting for territory is a very interesting concept and very true for most of us on here

CONFUSED1020's picture

I think it becomes more of a battle when its the same sex too... for example sd/ss or sm/sd...