You are here

Very Off Topic - please forgive.

ownedbypedro's picture

Every Friday: A Little Story From Today:

This morning I was shopping in Aldi and they had the most beautiful roses and I couldn't resist so I was taking my time, picking out the most perfect ones. I didn't notice an older gentleman behind me, waiting patiently.

When I turned around and saw him, I apologized for taking so long. He said he wasn't in a hurry, he had all day and was just going to take flowers to his wife like he does every Friday. I said that I thought that was very sweet of him.

Then he told me that his wife is buried in the VA cemetery. Evey Friday this old man buys flowers and drives from "town A" to "town B" and back to visit his wife - a good 60 mile round trip. He has been doing this for four years and said he will continue as long as he is able.

The cynical part of me wanted to ask him if he brought flowers to his wife every Friday while she was alive - but of course I didn't. I just moved over to let him get to the flowers and said "the yellow ones look nice today." Then I cried all the way home.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Great story! Thank you for sharing! It reminds me of a short story i read a long time ago in my French class, called Wednesday's Violets by Andre Maurois. There the tables are turned and it is the woman who brings violets to her old beau's grave every Wednesday, year after year. I do not think she appreciated him while he was alive either.

ownedbypedro's picture

I like to think that "chance encounters" like this one are meant to teach us something. I don't always know what - sometimes I figure it out later, sometimes I don't. But...something.

RedWingsFan's picture

So very sweet! I should've waited until the end of the work day to read it though - cuz now I will have to try and hide my red puffy eyes!

~Mel

sundowner's picture

This post was a bit of a trigger for me. It made me realize that Ive been married 1.5 yrs to a man who only brought me one wilted rose that came from a grocery store dumpster.

dragon63's picture

What a wonderful true story. That would be my father. He always gave to my mother. Unfortunately, she passed in 2006 after a very long battle with COPD. They had just made it to their 50th anniversary and had to celebrate it in the hospital because she had the first of many strokes, but he stood there by her side stroking her softly and tenderly - never leaving her side until the nurses said he could no longer stay. Because of him, I chose a man who now treats me like that. Yes, I get frustrated at him beyond belief because of his daughter my SD. However, after the many years together, I know that without a doubt he would stand in front of that bus for me and he would do anything and everything for me. Smile Thank you for sharing something uplifting.