You are here

Unorganized BM/SD

VAStepMom's picture

My SD17 moved out last week and back into BM's house. She has moved back and forth several times the past 4 years. This last time DH removed her from custodial BM because BM had been physical with her.... pretty bad stuff. BM allowed DH to remove SD17 and all her belongings. Problem was this move caused SD17 to go back to a HS where she had burned some bridges when she left last time. She returned, cried daily about hating this school, and 2 months later, BM was demanding her back. We tried to get a protective order, but because we had not reported the incident to CPS or the police, we had no legal right to keep her. BM sent SD17's grandfather to pick her up. It was a very sad day for us.

I digress.... So SD17 moved out of our house against our will. She was happy as a clam to be going back to her friends, even though, she knew she may have more issues with her BM. She only had 7 months of High School left, and she wanted to finish with her friends. (BM lives an hr away, we were unable to provide transportation back and forth every day.)

So, 6 days later, Friday, SD17 calls DH. Can he give her $20 to help pay for the sitting fee of her senior portraits? He agrees. Sat morning.... Noon (we are in the middle of big Tile project in our master bathroom, covered head to toe in grout, etc....)SD17 calls DH...."um Dad, we are running late, so can you meet us at the mall to give me the $20.....?" He says no.... we are in the middle of a project....you will have to come by. SD17 is ticked.

Same day..... she calls again... Dad, I need you to meet us, we are way late. He asks me about it.... I say..."what time is the appt?" he says.... 3:30 pm. I shake my head.... "are you kidding"? She calls at noon, has 3 1/2 hrs to her appt.... its a one hr drive, and that gives her 2 hrs to get ready and she is already pre planning she will be late, so now it is our problem?"

DH is upset... so we agree to meet her. He apologizes. It makes me feel better.

So we get to the mall. They have already called to move the appt 10 minutes to 3:40 pm... It is 3:40pm now, and they are not parked yet, let alone in the building. SD17 calls DH... can you meet me inside, because I may need more money..... he's like what???? He goes inside. BM calls SD from the parking lot while she is parking the car. "Tell him he may need to wait until the photos are taken, etc... because we may need more money...." SD17 says... "Mom....HE IS NOT GOING TO DO THAT." DH gives her $30 instead of $20 and leaves her to her appt and we drive back home to finish the project.

My issue was.... WE just had her Senior Portrait taken.... but.... apparently her new school needs a different one? 2). BM made this appt for SD without even discussing it with us, finding out how much the sitting fee was, or how much the picture will cost? And she did all this with NO MONEY? She had to ask us for partial sitting fee? Then we get there and she has NO MONEY, like we would magically cough it up at her request in a moment's notice?

Normally, helping out SD is never a problem. But, I lost my job 3 months ago.... I was the main breadwinner. We are living off our savings and DH income. (We just lost a significant income)....but have the same bills. So money is very very tight and we are almost dry now.... I am scared to death.

So every expenditure has to measured. BM knows this... but she could care less.

So.... we are waiting for the next call that says.... um it costs $140 to pick up the portrait...we didn't know that.... HELP? Apparently, the photo has to go in Monday or it will miss the year book. Our SD knew she just had her pic taken a month ago, but she hated it...so she didn't want to use it.

Day late, dollar short.... as usual. DH will want to help SD no matter what...it's her Senior Year...she will need things.... And I am supportive... but I would like some notice... I would like to be involved in these decisions, so its not so last minute!

Last-Wife's picture

Here's what the BM and SD were thinking- if they're so tight for cash, why are they remodeling and tiling the floor?

I know this thought, because we went through the same thing for the last 9 months while my DH was out of work. BM saw we were still able to do a few things so she didn't feel a need to jump in where it was really needed, like school lunches or graduation fees. (She pays no support, just chips in sometimes...)

Don't pay it. If you do, it will just keep happening.

VAStepMom's picture

I should have been more clear in my description.

Actually, our tile is old in our shower.... it had cracks in the grout, was collecting mildew, and the silicone beading was all mildewy and gross. I tried everything to clean it, but it would not clean...Our effort was a correction to clean the shower up.... because we are putting the house up for sale, because we cannot afford the mortgage...

We merely removed the old grout, kept the old tile in tact, and replaced new grout, and re-siliconed the shower edge so it would be clean and nice looking for new buyers. Cost $30 for new grout, silicone and sealer.

When I was working, I wanted to pay someone to fix it because I hate this kind of thing.... but I lost my job and alas...we had to do it ourselves.

I WISH we had enough money to "remodel".... we don't. The shower looks so gross, we had to fix it.

LizzieA's picture

This sounds like a scenario our BM and SD would try...why care if her picture isn't in the yearbook? Boo hoo, she had one you paid for, you want a new one, earn the money for it. The jumping through hoops and trumped up "emergency" is so typical of manipulators and entitlement queens. Tell your DH to practice: Just say "NO." Works good, my DH has done for the past few years after they drained him dry...

oneoffour's picture

I find it very odd the previous pictures are unacceptable. It isn't like she has to have the school mascot sitting on her lap is it? My kids school accept any photos taken with a plain background and head and shoulders. You can use your student ID photo or the fancy senior portrait ones.

Don't give in. Don't give in. Don't give in.

VAStepMom's picture

Oh, for SD17...it's very normal. She hated the photos...stated flat out, so for her.... that was enough to have a different studio take her photos... because of course, they would be MUCH better! Everyone bows to the princess.

VAStepMom's picture

DH gave in. We met her at the mall. She didn't LIKE the previous photo taken. We thought it was just fine. Her BM agreed to have her photo taken at HER designated photo place, like our choice had cooties or something. I asked DH why she couldn't use the picture we already had taken and he said... "I have no idea".

So... I guess we will wait for the inevitable phone call that they need "more" money to be able to pick up the photo.

On another note, DH just tried to call SD a few times this morning. She is ignoring his calls, as usual. WE PAY FOR THAT DANG CELL PHONE. I told him to tell her that if she does not start picking up or call him back asap when he calls, we will just shut off her cell, as we pay for it, so we can reach her. Not for her convenience.

She used to do the same thing to BM when she was living with us. We told her to knock that off.

This girl sends 7,000 texts a month. She is NEVER without that cell. It is 2pm in the afternoon.... there is no excuse short of an emergency.