You are here

student loans/ FAFSA

dakotamom's picture

student loan time and BM says WE need to fill it out because we make less than her and her DH. Kind of a bitchy thing to tell your kid to pass on to his father dontcha think?!?!

So i looked up this form today and under section 3 parent information:
Who is considered a parent? IN CASE OF DIVORCE OR SEPARATION, GIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARENT YOU LIVED WITH MOST IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS. IF YOU DID NOT LIVE WITH ONE PARENT MORE THAN THE OTHER, GIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARENT WHO PROVIDED YOU THE MOST FINANCIAL SUPPORT DURING THE LAST 12 MONTHS.

Well BM - they live with you and go to school where you live and come to us on weekends. wouldn't that make HER the one to fill out the form?? as far as the most financial support we pay BM but she puts the roof over their head. Not that i'm sure there's a way to check up on this from the college point of view - but really...."mom says you guys need to fill it out because you make less than her and doofy do"

I checked her wage online yesterday before this conversation happened!!! Her and DH are about even, but i'm sure doofy stepdad makes more than i do. so the statement is true - but unwarranted.

dakotamom's picture

BM claims that kid, DH claimes the ss15 but once ss17 is gone then they each have a year claiming ss15.
I dont know how all that tax stuff with skids goes....this last year was the first we've filed together. if i stand to get a better refund filing by myself i will. that way the check is in my name too Wink

NCMilGal's picture

Ugh, the FAFSA.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to fill out OUR info, because BM has already told SD14 that if she doesn't have a full-ride scholarship, she'll be out on her ass the second she graduates from high school. I love the girl, but she's not smart enough to get a full ride. She's a hard worker, but that hard work gets her Bs.

It doesn't really matter; with the amount we WON'T be paying in CS, we'll be able to pay for half (the highest percentage we're willing to pay) of a state school.

Nobody paid for DH's or BM's college. Wait, BM took out loans for two years, and then made DH pay them off after she married him and dropped out. Regardless, we're hard-hearted enough to tell SD that she'll be going to the college we pick if she wants money from up. If not, she can earn it on her own, just like her father did.

ownpersonalopinion1's picture

BM may be thinking that if you fill out the FAFSA because you make less, then kid may qualify for more grant or special funding money which may mean the parents may not need to pay as much money out of pocket to help with college. Just a thought.

sixteensmom's picture

My children have always used xh info on fafsa because he makes less than I do. We have always shared all time and kids expenses and they truly split time 50/50.

SillyGilly's picture

FAFSA! UGH! Our Bm tried saying DH needed to fill it out. First of all, BM, SS lived with you this last year. Second, he isn't going to college dummy because he is pursuing his future in dealing drugs. Last, but not least, YOU DON'T WORK BM! You live off the government so I KNOW he would qualify more from YOU filling out a form since you MAKE NOTHING. Grrrrr.

Here's what I don't understand. Children with parents who are married couldn't force them to fill out this form or to help pay for college in any way. Why are children with parents who are divorced entitled to college, forms, etc.. ??? WTF?

sixteensmom's picture

Anyone who wants govt financial aid for college has to fill out a fafsa, parental units situation doesn't matter.

dakotamom's picture

read section 3. They have it written out who is to be the information provider if the parents are divorced/split up.
in our case BM has had ss17 more than we have, he lives with her and visits us.

I dont want to falsify information and have it come back on him later.

prayerhelps's picture

We had same sit, except opposite---BM was trying to get SD to fill out w/her info for more money. We had to explain to SD that the forms says this, they have ways to find this stuff out, as you have to sign a release for them to look up tax records and stuff. If you get caught falsifying the info, you can get in a LOT of trouble. Do the right honest thing, I say

dakotamom's picture

i agree. i told ss to have his mother fill it out and to have her refer to section 3 if she had questions.
DH had a talk with her last night about a new car and student loan stuff and i guess it wasn't pretty. Dh said it ended up with him calling her names and she called him names back. BM is cheap as hell and doesn't want to fork over any money. really - this is for your kid getting a future....what a bitch.

we pay HER cs - it's not like it'd be hard to see this on a tax form....you wouldn't pay the NCP child support - she's not always the brightest...

dakotamom's picture

i agree 100% - the boy has parents and i'm not one of them. i'll help him get stuff lined up - but my name will go on NOTHING.