You are here

ss17 dating a 14y/o

dakotamom's picture

ss17 is dating a 14 year old girl. i found online by searching that this is illegal. Do i tell Dh and hope he has a conversation with ss or do i just backoff and let him deal with everything concerning his kids?
ss17 was interested earlier this year in attending a state college in the coming fall. he met a girl adn now is reconsidering going there and instead going to a local college. i have no problem with this as long as he still goes to a school. upon asking ss17 if he had contacted teh school to go on a visit he came back with a "the school called me and had to reschedule". i'm having a hard time believing this because most colleges will bend over backwards trying to get you there.
DH never went to school so he doesn't know how the game goes. i graduated college in 2005 so i'd like to consider myself still recent. bm is 40 so it's been a while for her. i'm concerned that ss17 is not goign to go to college because of this girl that may not even be around by the time he should go to college.
Dh is to teh point when i asked him to check with ss about the college visit that he snapped back about how ss didn't appreciate anythign i've done for him concerning the info i've looked up and trying to help him with student loans. he said that ss needs to now take responsibility. i agree with this but i'm worried if he's not pushed that he wont look in to it. DH said that he'll never kick his kid out on the curb but if he chooses to live with us after high school he will have to have a full time job, there will be no freeloading. i'm not sure i buy this. DH is a total pussy when it comes to his kids. he talks a good talk until he's faced with the follow through then there's always some excuse.

anyway - back to the main question..do i show Dh what i found? ss's girlfriends dad does not know ss's true age - the gf claims that her dad would freak if he knew. not sure how the dad thinks ss is driving if he isnt' at least 16.

sex between a 14 and a 17 year old/with parental permissionState:
Iowa
Question:
i know a 17 year old in a relationship with a 14 year old who has permission from her parents to be in such a relationship, the relationship is sexual in nature. is this permitted by law or is this trouble?

Answer:
This could be trouble. Parental consent does not over-ride state law.
16 is the legal age at which a minor may consent to sexual contact.

If a 17 year old is engaged in sexual contact with a 14 year old, this is a violation of state law. If reported, there is a possibility the 17 year old could be charged as an adult.

dakotamom's picture

ok, i emailed the info to DH, he will most likely look at it and delete it.
i can't help but wonder why i even try to protect dh's kids. most likely nothing would happen, btu you never know.

ddakan's picture

been here. still here. 16yo ss dating a 13 yo....now its a year later. they are sexually involved....anything i do as a step mom is meddling, prying, you can try, but it will just blow back on you for being a psycho. i got a lengthy cussing from the ss by text telling you you aren't his f-ing parent stay out of his f-ing life. very sad. he's also addicted to pot and any money he can get he spends on it. he was drug tested and his dad and bm do nothing.....

ddakan's picture

let his parents take care of it. “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” Robert Heinlein

been there, done that.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

As a sm I'd have dh tell ss if he is sleeping with this girl then it is illegal and he could get in major trouble if auhorities were to find out. Explain the potential consequences. But I'd let ss learn his own lesson. However, if you know who the girl's parents are I would 'accidently' run into them and introduce yourself. "oh, hi,you are so&so's mom/dad, right? Yes, my ss is dating your daughter. What will happen next year when he's in college?" or somehow sneak in his age. Then let them take it from there. As a bm, I'd want to know who my dd was dating esp if she was lying to me.

dakotamom's picture

well DH didn't read the email. i tried. i'm not going to keep being the one looking out for HIS children. that is the duty of DH and POS BM.