You are here

Step daugther five will not eat anything

cbeckwith's picture

I know I know . . . I've heard it a million times. Don't force a kid to eat something they don't want to eat. My point being is my step daughter who is five is a holy terror when its time to eat. Its not like we are asking her to eat spinich, turnip greans, or beans. We simply when all of us sit down to eat dinner we ask her to pick something to eat. Bread, ham, ham sandwhich, peanut butter and banana sandwhich, just some real food. The kid then runs to the fridge and grabs a yohoo we take that away and tell her she has to eat to get chocolate. Okay everyone online I have found spends their time complaining like my kid only likes macoroni or pb and j. I would worship if she would just eat one normal food. This is what happens now keep in mind the kid has not eaten since 12 at preschool other than a snack at 2. So you know she is hungry. All we do is ask her do you want what we are having(soup and grilled cheese,spaghetti,pork chops) her answer of course is no. So then we ask her okay you want peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and banana or ham or rolls or what. She usually just stares and runs away. After we fight forever to get her to sit down with us and using all the discipline we can. The first that happens is she starts whining and it gets louder and louder and then turns into loud crying while we are all trying to have dinner. Then she starts this thing my tummy hurts, my tummy hurts, i am not hungry. "your tummy hurts b/c you havent eaten" just eat half of the sandwhich nope never she will walk around after we leave the table she will throw it down she will scream. so she doesnt get her yohoo bc she doesnt eat. after bathtime its i want chocolate i want chocolate no only good girls who eat dinner get candy "you can have a yougurt if you would like" now keep in mind its kid yogurt no i want chocolate. so i spend the whole night listening to her cry b/c she is hungry. its the same thing over and over and over. the only thing the kid will eat with no conflict is potato chips, chocolate, cake, candy, onion rings, milkshakes, hashbrowns, and on a rare occasion ham. How do we fix this. I am so tired of terrible dinners and i am so tired of the junk food. and no we dont give her junk befoer dinner.

giveitago's picture

I hear you, Finey. Thing is these days we have liberal attitudes towards raising kids. I predicted five years ago that we'd see a turnaround and parents held accountable, by the juvenile justice system. I was right! I know this because we have a girl who is currently in there, I have seen the way the system works now for four years. Our girl is willful and wants it all her way because she was spoiled way beyond having entitlement issues . It's always been a battle of wills, and the will of the parent should be the strongest. It's better to ignore bad behaviors really, and not to allow kids to push buttons. I tell ours it's 'not up for discussion' I will not negotiate terms with them. DH is waaaaaaay too liberal with the kids and I understand he wants them to enjoy a childhood but the youngest are now 17 and totally ill equipped to deal with the reality of life. Sheltered is one way I'd put it, enabled is another.
Of course I am the Bitch of a SM because I will not tolerate disrespect, I created my own boundaries by telling them not to talk to me like that . We have had the juvenile justice system do all manner of assessments, on DH and I both, because our girl is ungovernable. The system is now imposing same assessments on BM because she wants to be part of the program SD is in now . What really stung, for the longest time, was my DH saying 'if only my wife and daughter could get along'. WTF? Pretty soon it became apparent that I was not the only person our girl had issues with, she bucked the system too! Twice kicked out of group homes because they could not manage her iether.

Ohh yeah! The original post, I digress. The child not eating, I really have to strongly advise the parents to hold firm. Once the little cherubs get that inch they want to take it a mile...and then some!! PLEASE, do not give in to tantrums of any sort, from anyone!! The child will eat, by all means do the 'kitchen helper' thing, it is positive encouragement. Rewards and consequences, hold firm!

cbeckwith's picture

but she wont eat anything. do we just let her go hungry. the chocolate thing its not just any chocolate its certain candy and thats it

lovesthemall's picture

@cbeckwith.... i thought i was the only one going through this. i dont have n e answers for you but if you dont mind im reading the comments from others to see if i can get a handle on this too... i was brougt up with eat what was cooked and if you didnt like it its my fault i go to be bed or the rest of the day hungry. i dont know what is happening to this world. its hard cuz my bkids are told eat whats cooked... and that goes out the window with the skids.... then we have to worry that something might be said to the bm and it'll seem as if we're starving the kid. like ive learned with my godchildren... bc we only have the skid on the weekends its going to be very hard to change, correct or help with the bad eating habbits. we can only do so much especially if we're working with 2nights and 2days.... well gook luck to you...

mlmt1128's picture

I have a 5 yo dd too. The first thing I would suggest is not letting her pick. She should either eat what every one else is having or not eat. DD started to think I was a short order cook. I had to stop it. My 14 yo ss also eats what we have, or doesn't eat. I definitely don't play favorites!

Also, she eats like a horse at breakfast and lunch, and snacks mid morning and mid afternoon. She weighs about 32 lbs. Her stomach is not that big. She's generally pretty much full by dinner time and eats much less than any other meal.