You are here

help!!! new baby on the way

cbeckwith's picture

So I know alot of it is my hormones but I am just so freakin mad at dh about sd 5. Its just like everytime I turn around the rules are being broken I am so sick of it. How can I bring my baby into a home that has no rules? I am just sick of seeing him wait on her hand and foot. I explained to him that we need to be working with her to get her to do stuff on her on now especially with her starting school and a new baby on the way. she doesnt wash her hair, doesnt get herself dressed most of the time in the morning (she will at night when I am home) she doesnt make her bed she doesnt pick up her toys most of the time she doesnt wipe her own face. . . dh does it for her. when we are leaving some where she sits down and holds her feet up and he puts her shoes on for her and her jacket b/c supposedly she can;t come on now by this age she needs to be working on tying shoes not having daddy put them on for her, she does not even flush the toilet so he ends up doing it. he says its just easier! no dirty clothes in the hamper much less help with laundry when she is done eating she doesnot go throw her paper plate away she says daddy i am done and if he doesnt come in two min she gets louder! i am just fed up he says i am too hard on her! no i am not i am just sick of her not doing anything for herself. he said just wait i am going to give you hell once we have our own kid and then you will understand. no I know a two year old can't do alot of stuff but by age five you should? am i going overboard?

Elizabeth's picture

I agree, your SD should be doing many things at this age. My BD is 4 and she gets herself dressed in the morning, gets her own shoes and coat on, can grab her own breakfast if it's portable (granola bar, cereal bar), clears her own plate and cup and utensils after dinner, changes into her pajamas at night, puts her dirty laundry in the hamper, brushes her own teeth (with help), flushes the toilet when she uses it, and washes her own hands (with occasional reminders). About the only things I still do for her is brush her hair (it's long and curly) and bathe her (I don't trust her to get it right and not tangle her hair up). She is not so good about cleaning up her own toys, so that is a work in progress, but otherwise I am pleased with her independence. You are NOT going overboard, in my opinion.

shootingstarz's picture

Oh I know how you feel! Except my DH's kids are older! Up until recently he still gave them baths. I'm like wtf?! They can take a shower on their own! So they do now but he still brushes their hair for them (did it with MY brush a couple of weeks ago and I caught him doing it and I ripped him a new asshole for it. How was I to know they didn't get lice from school for god sakes!) He was getting up in the morning and getting their cereal for them until I said something. Getting them dressed. Making their beds. Putting their dishes in the dishwasher. It's ridiculous! I was cleaning the entire house by the time I was their age! Their mother doesn't have them do anything either I don't think so the one simple task that I ask of them never properly gets done... Clean up the damn table after you eat! It isn't that hard. They act like rinsing their plate off before putting it in the dishwasher is the hardest thing in the world. Their hands are all tangled up while they are doing it. Atleast they do it now though... But then I ask for the table to be wiped off and all crumbs gone and I guess that is rocket science. I don't think you are being too hard. I think 5 is a good age for a child to be doing certain things on their own. Because if they don't then they get older and fumble all over themselves like my DH's kids! And I'm pregnant too. And my DH has made the same comment... You just wait when our child is born you will feel differently. Oh no I won't. I will teach my child to do the same things. That's what you do as a parent.

cbeckwith's picture

yeah well i mean the kid knows how to do all of this the only problem is dh thinks it easier just to go ahead and do it then once we finally got it all situated on night he will put her shoes on for her b/c she is whining and then here we go its a huge fight to ever get her to put on her shoes again b/c if she knows she whines enough he will do it. his solution. . . i want to move on and get on with my life.

Barbie2390's picture

Wow my BS is 1 in a half and atleast tries to put on his own clothes he can atleast put on his own coat and wipe his face when hes eating and gets dirty and this is at age 1 by 5 he should have mastered all this and its because i reinforce this on him. No you are not be hard on her shes just being childish and no shes not a baby anymore she understands what yes and no are so keep on forcing rules on her.

swstepmom's picture

Oh yes!
Same here....my ss10 has to have someone do everything for him....especially when daddy is here and since my husband feels bad for not seeing him often he just does it....my ss will say i'm thuuurrrsty or i'm huuuungry which means get me something.....then when he is finished he will say ok i'm done and hold out his plate or cup for my dh to come wait on him.....very annoying! I know this kid can do it on their own and during my pregnancy my dh would tell me the same thing....just wait til you have one of your own....i'm like yeah just wait....mine won't be a freaking little whiny brat! lol! I just finally am starting to get tough with my ss and let him knwo that he isn't boss.....we'll see how he does this weekend...which i am so dreading!!!! Horrible I know!

Unhappy's picture

I can understand your frustrations. My BF's kids BD(6) and BS(3) have similar issues. I wouldn't trust them to scrape their own plates let alone carry them anywhere. They can't even manage to make it through one meal without spilling whatever they're drinking all over the table. They don't clean up after themselves. Putting their dirty clothes in the hamper is still a work in progress. They can get themselves dressed in the mornings though.

They do brush their own teeth but can't manage to flush the toilet. It's nasty. After the two of them have tag teamed their toilet serveral times, one of them might remember to flush and seeing as how they have to use half a roll of toilet paper everytime, well I'm sure you see where this is going. We've actaully had to put locks on the pantry and refridgerator doors to keep the 3 year old out or else he just helps himself.

On the other hand, I still help my BD(6) take her baths. I want to make sure she is clean and didn't just play in the bath tub and her hair is almost to the small of her lower back. She can't even brush it. Though that is something that I am working on.

It can be very frustrating dealing with these things. My BF always tells me the my BD is an abnormality when it comes to kids. No she's not. I have taken the time to teach her these things.

shootingstarz's picture

Oh yeah and my DH's kids won't put their pj's on at night unless DH tells them too. And they will go all weekend without brushing their teeth. Because they have to be told their every move!They have never even been to the dentist. I have told DH to make them an appointment and he just won't do it. Although he works so much while BM lives off of him so her stupid ass should be taking them to the dentist. But she won't take them to get a hair cut either. I gave up on trying. If they don't care then why should I? Makes me sick. I just want them to clean up after themselves when in my house. They are way old enough to do so.

swstepmom's picture

I agree these kids need to learn to pick up after themselves and learn a little responsibility like brushing teeth....which is one thing I hate when my ss comes up here because i have to constantly tell him to brush his yellow teeth! Also when he goes to the bathroom he will not completely wipe....so he walks around literally smelling like crap and when I talked to him about this and showed him his underwear he just said "I have a hard time wiping" so I have told him to just keep wiping until there isn't anything there....gross I know but I have to say it! I won't dare even wash his underwear here at my house....I just bag them up and send them back with him to his bm house....ugh....disgusting! I just expect at 10 years old that he would know this! I have even tried the flushable wipes....nothing works....i have told my dh about this but he doesn't ever say anything to my ss.

cbeckwith's picture

yeah thats for all the comments! I definatly agree on the book. I print him stuff all the time to read. The star chart is a definate no no. We tried that and that seemed to make things work. I work 45+ hours a week and dh works 30. He has sd most of the time. I see her when I get home for a few hours and then weekends. So dh was going putting stars on everything saying we had to buy her a toy and crap or well she meant to do that. I can't believe that it just so happens she started doing everything adn the stuff she did not do when i was there (bath time, bed stuff) it was "well she meant to do it" so it was alot of removing and hiding and putting back. really immature! about the whole well you just do it and discipline her thing. I used to do that when I did not work now i work full time and go to school full time. I am not around for a lot of it. Plus i just now got the kid to somewhat care about me. I don't want to switch to wicked stepmom. Maybe if we only had her every other weekend or something. but it is everyday